Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to know what personal items LE found.

JMO
Im listing a few of the things that are possible.

Are there any other possibilities?
Is there anything we heard about in the news that helps us think its one of these?

*-her bicycle helmet

*-a small fanny pack waist belt or something similar of hers with a few small personal belongings like maybe her ID and a small amount of pocket money

*-her cell phone (if it was not at her house)

*-a shoe or 2

*-her wedding ring

*-some other article of clothing

*-a broken part of the bicycle
To which I would add:
*- ID and/or insurance card, if she carried it in her jersey pocket

*- Some sort of bike mounted GPS device (would be id'd as hers if connected to a computer)

*- If an electronic device monitored heart rate, then possibly the chest strap (I hate to think about this as this would definitely indicate a struggle). Could be id'd electronically since most are paired to an electronic device like a bike mounted unit if it was still on the bike.

*- Her hydration pack such as a Camelbak (I know you can see the shoulder straps and maybe the water tube in the one photo of her) if it was distinctive enough or had something of hers in the pocket like an ID.

*- A medic alert bracelet or necklace.

*- RoadID, if she had one as it would have her name, address and emergency #.

Hi, regarding the bike ride - I was under the impression that the Fire Chief provided this information as it was something that SM did regularly on a Sunday - apologies if I am mistaken, but I thought I read that in one of the earlier threads.

JMO
Yes, I think you are correct that we first heard from the fire chief that SM may have done Sunday bike rides but we dont know if the fire chief had already spoken to someone beforehand and maybe they had already gone through their thoughts on what happened to her. I would think that would be likely by the time we heard from fire chief.

To which I would add:
*- ID and/or insurance card, if she carried it in her jersey pocket

*- Some sort of bike mounted GPS device (would be id'd as hers if connected to a computer)

*- If an electronic device monitored heart rate, then possibly the chest strap (I hate to think about this as this would definitely indicate a struggle). Could be id'd electronically since most are paired to an electronic device like a bike mounted unit if it was still on the bike.

*- Her hydration pack such as a Camelbak (I know you can see the shoulder straps and maybe the water tube in the one photo of her) if it was distinctive enough or had something of hers in the pocket like an ID.

*- A medic alert bracelet or necklace.

*- RoadID, if she had one as it would have her name, address and emergency #.

These are great additions. Wow. There are so many things that could have been the personal items LE found.

JMO
Yes, I think you are correct that we first heard from the fire chief that SM may have done Sunday bike rides but we dont know if the fire chief had already spoken to someone beforehand and maybe they had already gone through their thoughts on what happened to her. I would think that would be likely by the time we heard from fire chief.

Ahh yes, that would make sense. Thank You :)

I still believe the item they found was very small. Like a ring. It took searchers several days to find it, and a big blue helmet would be readily noticed. But I guess a helmet could have been thrown into heavy brush or otherwise hidden from view. I look forward to the day when LE clears up the mystery for us.
I noted Sheriff Spezze said "items" as in plural. Could that include the bike, I suppose so. But it could also mean they found multiple personal items. Like you, I look forward to learning the details.

I noted Sheriff Spezze said "items" as in plural. Could that include the bike, I suppose so. But it could also mean they found multiple personal items. Like you, I look forward to learning the details.
More of our conflicting info. The sheriff stated "items" plural - I definitely heard that in the video. Lauren Scharf in her most recent video asked (CBI spokesperson?) if it was an "item", singular or "items", plural. The response she got was that it was definitely "item" singular. Lauren also noted that it was interesting that the CBI is correcting info previously stated by the sheriff.

I went back and listened to the one and only live press conference given in Suzanne's case.

To clarify- Sheriff Spezze speaks about the personal items found on Thursday, May 14th at 2:00 in the video, and I quote: "yesterday afternoon which is Thursday, in the area of 225 & highway 50, we did find (inf umm changes to) items that we believe are personal items of Suzanne Morphew".

SBM BBM
I'm just doing my own work on this point. Per Lauren Scharf in her FB Live, she asked CBI about this and CBI clarified that a singular personal item was found. "CBI corrected the sheriff." FWIW
Link: @ about 42 minutes

It would be nice to know what personal items LE found.

JMO
Im listing a few of the things that are possible.

Are there any other possibilities?
Is there anything we heard about in the news that helps us think its one of these?

*-her bicycle helmet

*-a small fanny pack waist belt or something similar of hers with a few small personal belongings like maybe her ID and a small amount of pocket money

*-her cell phone (if it was not at her house)

*-a shoe or 2

*-her wedding ring

*-some other article of clothing

*-a broken part of the bicycle
Or: that gold bar necklace she is wearing in several photos
her sunglasses
her Apple watch
a glove

Bet she had a turquoise face mask. Or two. That she may have kept on her bike, for the rare chance she'd need it. The perfect sort of thing to use, to wipe down a bike. And toss.

Just a guess, totally MOO

just some random thoughts....

I thought I read that there were cameras at the intersections around there but the CDOT said nothing is recorded. If there are cameras - what are they for if nothing is recorded?

At first I was thinking why the heck didn't he call 911, then after reading some other posts and realizing he wasn't in the area, it made a little more sense. But then again, if my husband or child was missing (or thought to be) I would be frantic and wouldn't think "oh I'm not close, let's have someone else call" my mind wouldn't even register to that, I would just make the call and if they couldn't reroute me, I'd let them tell me how to proceed.

I am not sure of the terrain of the area, but I would think if an animal played into this scenario, there would be tracks of some kind and certainly if something "drug" her away, some blood of some kind.

I don't think I can recall any case where police have found a body but have not alerted the public.

I do find it very telling that they are not warning people of a potential threat when biking/walking/jogging alone.

just my thoughts.

Traffic analysis, IMO. Dave F. may know. But he mentioned this a few threads back - we have them here in Cali, too, just for triggering a signal at the traffic keeper place.

I still believe the item they found was very small. Like a ring. It took searchers several days to find it, and a big blue helmet would be readily noticed. But I guess a helmet could have been thrown into heavy brush or otherwise hidden from view. I look forward to the day when LE clears up the mystery for us.

Airpods! It's plural and when you want to find them, you say "Where did I put them? I forgot to put them on the charger" So you don't say "I don't know if it is charged."

"They are charging right now."

They hold their charge for a while. Could have been pingable early on and then located.

Question is, where IS Suzanne's phone? She either had it with her and it was not found, or it is the item (or there was really more than one item). OR she left it home, in which case surely LE has it now (and would have had it early on - but did they have her passcode? Would the daughters know it? My DH has mine and I think my daughters could guess it easily).

I decided to search cycling websites and found this article from Bicycling Magazine on 15 May.
Suzanne Morphew Missing | Colorado Cyclist Missing Since May 10
They used 8 search dogs in their search. I know dogs are not infallible, but if LE used 8 dogs and her scent was around the bike or nearby I would have thought they would get something.

I decided to search cycling websites and found this article from Bicycling Magazine on 15 May.
They used 8 search dogs in their search. I know dogs are not infallible, but if LE used 8 dogs and her scent was around the bike or nearby I would have thought they would get something.
They would. And if a bear or mountain lion had been around, the dogs would have gone mad.

Yeah, me too. Although I don’t believe that’s what caused them to reach the conclusion that this was foul play, and direct their focus to BM.

1031 Like- Kind Exchange?
There could be a tax reason for the timing of the sale of the Indiana property and purchase of the property in Colorado; specifically the tax determent strategy known as a Starker or 1031 exchange.
>>Under Section 1031 of the United States Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 1031), a taxpayer may defer recognition of capital gains and related federal income tax liability on the exchange of certain types of property, a process known as a 1031 exchange. In 1979, this treatment was expanded by the courts to include non-simultaneous sale and purchase of real estate, a process sometimes called a Starker exchange.<<
Internal Revenue Code section 1031 - Wikipedia
@BuySellTrade Yes, good catch, good thought.
Briefly: Looks like their Sell and Buy combo misses two req'mts for 1031-like kind exchange* for deferring tax on capital gain, imo
so doubt it could tax deferral would apply to their situation imo.
Not so briefly:
Q: Did prop qualify? Imo, no, as the M's would-be "relinquished property" was their primary residence in IN.*
Q: Could the M's transactions have met the time-limit for exchange? Per link** the replacement prop must be acquired & title transferred within 180 days of selling existing prop. From what I recall of their buy & sell dates, they did not meet this req'mt.
jm2cts and could be misinterpreting something(s).
As always, I welcome comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our legal, tax, & r/est. pro's.
..............................................................................................................................
* Like-Kind Exchanges Under IRC Section 1031
What property qualifies for a Like-Kind Exchange?.... Property used primarily for personal use, like a primary residence or a second home or vacation home, does not qualify for like-kind exchange treatment." bbm sbm
^https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-18.pdf
Like-Kind Exchanges - Real Estate Tax Tips | Internal Revenue Service

26 U.S. Code § 1031. Exchange of real property held for productive use or investment
^ 26 U.S. Code § 1031 - Exchange of real property held for productive use or investment
https://www.inside1031.com/1031-exchange/
** https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8824.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members