Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE is focused solely on BM

It may appear that the focus is solely on BM but we aren't privy to others LE may be investigating. In the Molly Tibbett's case we were aware of the investigation into the pig farmer but months after Rivera's arrest we learned that there were 3 additional suspects (apart from the ones who were cleared).

Someone in Salida or Alexandria, IN (hometown) needs to host an organized, publicized (yet socially distanced) vigil for Suzanne. An all hands on deck (some best friends and relatives.). Even if only 50 people attend. Put on a mask and light a candle for this woman.

Who would show up?
Who wouldn’t?

How could Barry explain his absence should he choose not to go?

How might he behave if he attends?

What might Lauren Scharf’s camera see.

There were reportedly two vigils for SM earlier in both IN and Salida. In fact, it was said the tree ribbons followed by a well-attended candlelight vigil held in Indiana that prompted a group of local community members to copy in Salida.

As for BM, I'd say that if he could not be present at the Sheriff's very first presser for his missing wife -- but announce his generous, $100K, no questions asked reward the following morning, I wouldn't expect any participation by BM.

MOO

MOO

Colorado has a strong recent history in that regard, but those cases had things going for them that this one may not.

We just don’t have the slightest clue where this investigation stands, other than who the focus appears to be.

So absent a material witness (Frazee), or the dumbest criminal alive (Stauch), we could be here a while. Another issue is the fact that the DA is an interim replacement, and doesn’t appear to have any prosecutorial experience.

That is an important piece of this puzzle IMO.

Relative's Comments?
Excerpts in blue from May 25 article and my comments in red. Just asking rhetorically as discussion on some points may be outside of W/S ToS.
1. "A relative of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew...." {<--- Relative? How? And by blood or marriage?}
2. "The relative said that some of Suzanne’s family members, including at least one of Suzanne’s siblings and Barry Morphew’s mother — who Suzanne is reportedly close to — traveled to the area after Suzanne was reported missing. Suzanne’s own mother died of cancer years ago, and her father is believed to be living in Michigan." bbm {This relative does not know where SM’s Fa lives? Or did not want to disclose this info to reporter in interview? Or other reason for not saying? Maybe SM’s Fa’s health/condition does not lend itself to contact, interviews, etc? For ex, in nursing home? How close is ^ relative to SM? How often in touch? In person or only Christmas newsletter/ birthday card type contact?}

3. “The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation."

4. “I think they are being protected,” the source said...."bbm {My earlier post asked about protection from who/what. @Seattle1 suggested maybe – ppl making threats against dau’s. Imo, seems sense}

5. “Barry always seemed to be a good guy and a supportive husband,” the relative said. “I’d be surprised if anything happened. But sometimes we don’t know people as well as we think we do.” bbm {Not an unqualified endorsement of BM's sterling character, imo. But reading it as sleuthers, we know a relative's glowing praise is not always warranted. The 'sometimes we don't know' phrase ppl does ring true.}

Not sure what to make of the relative's comments altogether. my2cts.
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE] Crimeonline.com May 25
An amazingly ambiguous array of comments made by unidentified relatives.

Thank you for itemizing @al66pine! Interesting to read their answers listed this way. IMO

Last edited:
Relative's Comments.
An amazingly ambiguous array of comments made by unidentified relatives. Thank you for itemizing @al66pine! Interesting to read their answers listed this way.
@rainbowshummingbird Thanks for the thx. Funny about relatives.
Sometimes in MSM interview, a person claims to be oh-so close to victim: best friends in grade school & high school; just like sisters/brothers; first communion together; double dated for prom; lived across the street; worked at same ofc/factory; etc. Then info surfaces later (trial?): for past ten yrs, they lived 1000 mi apart and had not communicated w each other for a decade.

Here, just a couple yrs since M fam moved 1200+ mi./18 hr drive from IN to CO, so seems the interviewed relative (if living in IN hometown area) could be considered 'close to SM' and to be making accurate stmts about her.
But sometimes a person living ten minutes/an hour from parents, g-parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, may see those relatives in person once every five yrs, and not talk either. Maybe fam news gets passed along second, third or fourth hand, and facts get mangled/lost/misinterpreted/exaggerated in the series of calls/talks.

I hesitate to assume anything about family or friends in a case, but instead think thru a range of possibilities. my2cts.

There were reportedly two vigils for SM earlier in both IN and Salida. In fact, it was said the tree ribbons followed by a well-attended candlelight vigil held in Indiana that prompted a group of local community members to copy in Salida.

As for BM, I'd say that if he could not be present at the Sheriff's very first presser for his missing wife -- but announce his generous, $100K, no questions asked reward the following morning, I wouldn't expect any participation by BM.

MOO

MOO
Definitely not. If he hasn’t done anything to move the ball at this point, then he’s not about to start now.

We’re almost certainly not going to see any tv interviews, renewed appeals for information, or his attendance at any vigils.

His lone effort was both bizarre, and backfired in spectacular fashion.

What’s the best way to attempt to silence your critics, while avoiding any uncomfortable questions from the media?

Release a professional looking 27 second video.

Bad idea.

36 days I believe. She was one of the dumbest perps ever. The entire case is such a travesty..

While GS case is an unspeakable tragedy, I’m not sure I would count her as one of the dumbest perps ever...?

For example, this awful 3 friends murder in FL, “truck deal gone bad” - those perps got themselves on CCTV- and arrested practically in hours- many murder and felonious crimes with ridiculously dumb perps- literally screaming to get caught- LS just was utterly shameless and farcical with the stories she barfed up.

So, if this got her nailed in about 35 days, where does this put SM’s perp? They had no body at LS arrest. But apparently enough to arrest her based on evidence without feeling they would jeopardize any trial- they had no crystal ball giving way to discovery of GS’s remains.

What does LE have at about 80 days? Seems to me there may be something lacking or not present to hinder an arrest, a possible unknown? . If BM is perp, wouldn’t something like alibi not checking out, phone records, evidence at house or construction site searched, CCTV/video, his statements/ caught in lie ( as been suggested), forensic accounting evidence- etc ( I don’t know, I’m going through possible screw ups here) - be at least enough to haul him in for questioning- that would surely make the news.

So, is it possible that BM is some sort of criminal mastermind?

I also keep thinking back to Lauren S’s seasoned PI- and his impression that BM was being “sincere, honest”, I forget exactly what words were used to explain his takeaway of the now infamous 26/27 second plea for SM’s return.

This one’s sure got me, no trouble admitting that! Goodnight WS’ers ....

ETA-MOO, it’s late -

Last edited:
Someone in Salida or Alexandria, IN (hometown) needs to host an organized, publicized (yet socially distanced) vigil for Suzanne. An all hands on deck (some best friends and relatives.). Even if only 50 people attend. Put on a mask and light a candle for this woman.

Who would show up?
Who wouldn’t?

How might he behave if he attends?

What might Lauren Scharf’s camera see.

BMUpperbody.png

Because he is "elderly and vulnerable"? ;)

This case reminds me of the Barbara Thomas case. There appears to be 1 poi, having exhausted all other avenues. But no body, no arrest. Both women and the last known person to see them was their (adoring) husbands. Both last known to be in unpopulated areas. mmm....
Both husbands don't seem to be doing much to find them.

We can infer from LE's actions that animal attack, stranger abduction, suicide, and voluntary dissapearence have been ruled out.

It's a logical inference that investigators have ruled out those possible causes of Suzanne's disappearance. I cannot determine whether the investigators' beliefs are reasonable yet because of the lack of information in this case, especially since the warrant probable cause affidavits remain sealed.

IMO Nothing has been ruled out by LE, we did discuss it, many threads ago, some members have ruled it out.

After seeing the Lauren Scharf/Profiling Evil video on YouTube, I find it less likely that the bike was deliberately placed on the tree in that ravine (if that is indeed the location where the bike was found). That ravine is steep! Placing the bike there may not be impossible, but it would not be an easy task, particularly if one was attempting to do it using the cover of darkness.

After seeing the Lauren Scharf/Profiling Evil video on YouTube, I find it less likely that the bike was deliberately placed on the tree in that ravine (if that is indeed the location where the bike was found). That ravine is steep! Placing the bike there may not be impossible, but it would not be an easy task, particularly if one was attempting to do it using the cover of darkness.
I do agree that the bike was not carefully placed there. Was it flung down the ravine? Maybe BM’s shoe prints were in the mud along with the 10 other people that touched the bike. I really wish I could be reading an article that included the words “sources close the the investigation”.

Last edited:
It could have been thrown down the ravine in an effort to hide it and delay LE in finding it. Imo

It would be even weirder to place the bike. Throwing it there would be more plausible and less effort. Jmo

There is a discrepancy between Lauren's clip and Tyson's video of where the bike was found. In Lauren's clip the ribbon is on the tree to the right and in Tyson's the pink ribbon is on the tree to the left. Lauren mentions the sap running down the tree and in Tyson's clip there is no sap.

JMO

If there were no tracks indicating a point at which said bike left the road, well, that would be interesting.

If I NEEDED a bike story to sail, I'd HAVE to blame LE for obliterating the tracks that were never there.

JMO JMO JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members