Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sticks out to me too. On one hand, if the cars belong to the Morphews, then I would want to know if it was odd that the cars weren't parked inside the 3-car garage. If parking the cars outside was "standard operating procedure" for the Morphews, then it wouldn't have seemed strange, so I'm not sure that the neighbor would mention it. Of course, if the neighbor wasn't familiar with the Morphew cars or parking situation, then this wouldn't apply.
I still think it has to do with access to all those cars while BM had his truck sit idle at home. It should be interesting to find out. moo

What do you accomplish by talking to media if for example you're in Barry's situation and hypothetically you're innocent? Does doing those interviews help the case? Do those types of interviews ever help find the missing person?

I think these kinds of interviews most definitely can help the case if they done IMMEDIATELY after the person went missing. If the spouse/mom/whoever gets right on that and appeals to the public about their missing loved one (Tim Bosma's wife Sharlene is an incredibly brave example), sharing pertinent info about their appearance, car/bike/whatever then it really touches the public to get out, help post flyers, volunteer for searches, and that sort of thing. We've all seen that in SO many cases where the public is moved to come help in any way they can.

But... 3 months later without a single interview appealing for his wife? Nope. He can't buy that time back.

jmo

Maybe, the voice test is that, what he feared, so he had to reject both tests, because otherwise police could have asked for a reason for why the polygraph but not the voice stress test.
If his attorney is worth anything, he would have told him to absolutely NOT to submit to any tests. This same advice would stand, whether an attorney thinks his client is guilty or innocent.

I believe that where there’s smoke there’s fire, but does anyone with experience in these types of things believe that it was LE who openly told the family that BM’s truck data is not lining up with what he told investigators?
I was wondering the same thing. Why would LE (who have been so tight lipped) tell her family an important part of the investigation?

Could be. We know that Barry knew which cars were there since he asked her to check to see if the "cars" were at the house. I would think the neighbor would have mentioned it if she saw an unfamiliar car there.
I've thought about the possibility that the neighbor went to the house as instructed, saw two cars parked in the driveway. Peeked in the window, saw the bike was gone and drove down towards the creek looking for Suzanne. Or didn't peek in the window at that point, but drove around looking for her.

Came back to the house to wait for LE to arrive and one of those two cars was gone.

Let's say that car also fit the description of the guy who was riding his bike and said he saw a vehicle in that area on Mother's Day that seemed out of place. That's two people confirming a vehicle siting. I know I keep harping on this bike guy, but he was so vehement in his on camera interview.

ETA-I found the interview-
A mountain biking enthusiast who was riding in the same area as Suzanne the day she disappeared told Fox21 that he saw a suspicious vehicle in the remote area. According to the cyclist, he told investigators the car looked completely out of place.
Home of missing Colorado mother cordoned off as investigation intensifies

Last edited:
So if someone without a passport is on a " closed-loop" cruise, and chooses to NOT get back on the ship in Mexico, someone could be out and about the country without a passport.
As Sister Rose Dominic said years ago, "If there's a will, there's a way."
MOO
They won't let you on the cruise anymore to begin with without ID and Birth Certificate or passport. Yes, you could not return to the ship but if a plane was now needed to get you out of the country it's at their disgression to pick you up with you're identification and depending on what documentation you need to enter another country it may not be feasible/accepted. Unless you're really on the run using your feet, I assume like all illegals if there's a will there's a way. So no need for a cruise to Mexico. Lol moo

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I don't think they can explain it! They were asking the questions themselves. They seemed much more interested in the mystery of how the bike story came about, or how suddenly there was a "bike adventure." They didn't understand why Barry would ask her to look for the cars if she went on a bike ride.

At least one of the cars must be Suzanne's because why else would Barry ask the neighbor to go see if they were there? And if there was a different car there why wouldn't the neighbor have said something like, there's a different car there but no-one is answering the door, or something like that?

And why would they say, "She could have just taken the car?" Why would she take someone else's car?

Of course it's possible that Barry just said, there should be two cars in the driveway, can you check if they are there? In that case one of the cars may have belonged to a worker or someone else outside the family.

Imo

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about the possibility that the neighbor went to the house as instructed, saw two cars parked in the driveway. Peeked in the window, saw the bike was gone and drove down towards the creek looking for Suzanne. Or didn't peek in the window at that point, but drove around looking for her.

Came back to the house to wait for LE to arrive and one of those two cars was gone.

Let's say that car also fit the description of the guy who was riding his bike and said he saw a vehicle in that area on Mother's Day that seemed out of place. That's two people confirming a vehicle siting. I know I keep harping on this bike guy, but he was so vehement in his on camera interview.

ETA-I found the interview-
A mountain biking enthusiast who was riding in the same area as Suzanne the day she disappeared told Fox21 that he saw a suspicious vehicle in the remote area. According to the cyclist, he told investigators the car looked completely out of place.
Home of missing Colorado mother cordoned off as investigation intensifies

There has to be a reason that the sheriff did not believe the vehicle involved in her disappearance. Wonder what it was.

Well, they didn't say the cars alone were a red flag. It was first mentioned in the context of how the whole bike story evolved. They said that it didn't make sense that Barry would ask the neighbor to go over to the house to see if the cars were there if he thinks she went on a bike ride.

I don't think Barry "knew" that she went on a bike ride. I think he suggested it. But they also said the neighbor could have suggested it. They thought the whole story about the bike was a "huge" red flag.

They suggested the cars being there might mean someone else is involved or knows something, but what was more important to them concerning that theory was Barry's use of the word "we." They asked, "Whose we?" They said he could just be referring to his friends or family who were helping him search.

They also said it was strange that the cars were there because if she went off voluntarily she could have just taken the car. I think they were just exploring all potential theories.

Imo

BBM:

I know that the PE guys think that BM's use of the words "we" and "us" in the TD video might point to someone else being involved somehow in SM's disappearance, but I actually have a completely different take on it.

Using the plural "we" and "us" vs. the singular "I" or "me" is another example of distancing language.
To me, it's just BM trying to blend into the woodwork, and keep himself out of the limelight.

When you want to minimize your role in something, one way of doing that is to pull other people into the equation.

When you don't want to be credited for having spearheaded an action plan, you take safety in numbers.
"We" got concerned and decided to call the police, just to be on the safe side.

Clearly, BM doesn't want to be associated with anything going on in Salida that day, but he can't keep himself out of it completely, because LE knows that he spoke with both his daughters and his neighbor that day.

BM can't deny his role in pulling the neighbor into the bike narrative, but he can try to mitigate it.

He can't completely distance himself from the investigation into SM's disappearance, but he can try to downplay his level of involvement by adding others in the mix.

Any time I hear BM say "we" in the TD video, I automatically insert the word "I" and then look at what he's just said, because it's likely something he really doesn't want to be associated with, which means it's an indicator of something important r/t her disappearance.

I agree with the PE guys that BM's frequent use of the plural is a huge red flag.

I disagree with them about why it's a red flag.

It's the royal "we" he's talking about, because he doesn't want to take sole ownership of anything that's happening related to SM's disappearance.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members