Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still catching up but in case this was unanswered:
no, they never confirmed or denied that statement about the truck data being different that what he told investigators.
Are you saying that it might not be true? Or just that LE isn’t confirming what the family member said? Because LE rarely confirms anything so I hope it’s true! I’m counting on it because I trust Lauren wouldn’t have put it out there if it wasn’t. IMO

Maybe he staged a daughter's bike by mistake?
What if "baby blue" is significant in the sense that he staged a "baby blue" bike, but that might not have been SM's bike. And now he's going all out with the "baby blue" thing to make everyone assume SM actually had a "baby blue" bike.
Or
Maybe he's one of those clueless guys (apologies here) that don't know what their spouse's bike looks like? And he did the wrong one? And this is how LE knew right away, that the bike thing was made up?

This could be like the biggest murder booboo ever: staging a bicycle to cover your wife's disappearance but putting someone else's out there.

Now THAT would be the 'biggest booboo ever' -- shades of PF -- if the wrong bike was staged! But ... if the bad guy knew that SM's bike needed repair, would he throw out another family bike, and lead everyone to believe she took a working bike cuz hers was broken?

I had reviewed the note way back when, and always thought it was baby blue bike helmet. I do wish a reporter would be able to confirm the existence of the note, as the person and place involved with the note is easily found on the internet. Maybe she decided not to talk about it again-or maybe she will be testifying about it some day.

Well that would certainly explain the alleged discrepancy in Barry’s truck gps vs. what he told LE (per family member as reported by LS)...also if LE tracked BM’s cell phone pings couldn’t they tell his location when he called the neighbor (or daughters or tried to call Suzanne)? Maybe LE got surveillance video of BM somewhere in Salida when he said he was in Denver?? He would be so busted & disgusted if he lied about Denver though and I always believed from the beginning that he really went to Denver for a job Sunday morning in order to have an alibi. But maybe it’s possible that was as big of a lie as fire fighter training? Could he really that dumb though? I mean you never know...lots of dumb criminals have come before him. I will be surprised if he wasn’t in Denver but it is always good to explore other ideas. And like you said, what if he went, snuck back and returned to Denver? You might be onto something with that idea...
This is at the bottom of my comments the last day or so, and it came about in order to explain why two cars in the driveway was significant for the neighbor: what if we toss out some of the many assumptions we've been developing since Mother's Day? Would we then have a less precarious explanation for some of the pieces in this case?
We did a good job early on IMO by ditching the idea that there was verifiably a bike ride (it seems to have been a product of BM's butt-covering), but a lot of assumptions have still survived in our discussions. So, what if we toss some out, and see what we get?

On my list of assumptions:
-that BM staged SM's bike; he could have staged someone else's by mistake
-that if someone threw out an item onto the highway, that BM did the throwing; it could have been SM or someone else: we don't know.
-that BM went to Denver and was there all day; what if he was back in Salida for part of the day, or took two trips?
-that the phone call to neighbors happened when he was in Denver, when he presumably could have been in Salida
-that when he said he last saw SM at 5 am, he's making a red-herring fake time stamp, (so, so clever isn't he, for thinking of everything?), and he was actually in Denver in those early morning hours, or somewhere else entirely at 5 am?
-that the work trip to Denver where he was clearing property was merely an excuse to haul equipment to Denver (or en route), equipment that he could use to bury a victim at someone else's build site entirely?

I'm sure other posters can think up more assumptions...

Well...with BM nothing would surprise me but this “Booboo” scenario sure made me laugh! I’m picturing BM standing at the store counter writing the note going...baby blue bike helmet...no, no...baby blue bike then next line I’ll put helmet on there...good, good...now what color was her helmet I seen? Shoot man Imma just put helmet with a capital H...that’ll get the job done...looks good...ok where’s the camera at...walking out slowly...then stops in tracks...dang it! I didn’t put any bike clothes on there...good catch...she would not be riding her bike naked...this note is so good I might just get away with this! Not! :p
Yeah! Like that. But you're right, it sounds funny. However, I can exactly see this scenario in my mind's eye. This would be so consistent with that over-rehearsed video thing-y he recorded ....the "Oh, Suzanne...." video. He's all about the looks of the thing.

Last edited:
LE has not confirmed they removed the bike, have they?

I do not think the bike in the photos posted by DM were of her bike on the back of the car. However, if it was her bike is it possible BM “found” it and carted it away?

It would explain his desire to push that and their desire to not confirm the bike ride narrative.

Just thinking out loud with this speculation...

Good point. I don't know the answer. If LE hasn't said they confiscated the bike, we only have BM's word that they did so. However, if he lied and said that, they'd be all over him, IMO.
His daughter could have had an identical bike... Not at all out of the realm of possible.

The way SM’s text conversation ended abruptly makes me wonder if it was related in any way to her disappearance. Husband and wife home alone, maybe she was talking to him about plans to travel to IN for the wedding. Could that start a fight? Jealousy related to her traveling to IN? Jealousy of her bond with IN friends? It was reportedly his idea to move from IN. Did he feel pressured to travel back and face people he didn’t want to see? Feel she was being disloyal in some way?

All speculation. MOO
It's hard for me to imagine a scenario that SM would be engaged in a conversation with her bestie, have an argument start with BM, and not indicate something to her friend (I suppose she could have and we don't know about it - but based on what we heard on PE, it sounds like an abrupt end to a convo and the friend was trying to figure out what happened). I think if I'm texting with someone and an argument starts - I at least take the time to type "gotta go" or "I need to call you back" or whatever..... and it sure seems like that is what was missing from the conversation (based on what was said on PE). On top of that - we're talking murder here, so it's also hard to come up with something that would be said in an exchange between mothers talking about a wedding that would enrage someone to the point of murder (of course this is speculation, JMO, MOO since we don't have a transcript of that exchange). That's why I landed on a possible (intentional) disruption to the wifi router in the home....

Good point. I don't know the answer. If LE hasn't said they confiscated the bike, we only have BM's word that they did so. However, if he lied and said that, they'd be all over him, IMO.
His daughter could have had an identical bike... Not at all out of the realm of possible.
Anecdotally, my mom and I have the same bike. It’s definitely possible.

Now THAT would be the 'biggest booboo ever' -- shades of PF -- if the wrong bike was staged! But ... if the bad guy knew that SM's bike needed repair, would he throw out another family bike, and lead everyone to believe she took a working bike cuz hers was broken?

Yes this is possible, but not very likely. LE shut down the bike information immediately. They would not share it with BM the first night, which most likely means they made an immediate connection to BM. Under normal circumstances LE would be cooperating and comforting the family members on the first night. I doubt they would have known at that stage which family member the bike belonged too.
1. They made an immediate connection to BM participating in the crime
2. BM was desperate to know why, to the point he had his nephew begging the public to ask what condition the bike was in.
4. He knew that he somehow screwed up, he did not know how. He wanted to find out how so that he could prepare his own defense.
5. LE would not share any information about the bike, but when he was talking with TD, he knew that the bike was found with the wheel turned a certain direction. Very impressive!
6. He also told TD that LE would not tell him anything about the bike. It is also impressive that he knew ten people handled the bike that he knew nothing about! Yea Barry you are giving out some very interesting information.
The worst part is that the way this information was obtained makes it ineligible to be used in a court of law.
7.Maybe BM is a lot smarter than we give him credit for and he is purposely destroying LE findings,

I think an OP (maybe @JnRyan?) found her model of bike helmet and called it salad green? Am I imagining that? I remember thinking it didn’t look like the color of a salad to me...I would call the helmet color teal blue, aqua blue or turquoise blue. And I would call the bike on the back of the Subaru baby blue or sky blue or Tiffany blue. There’s so many variations of color descriptions depending on the person describing it. But one thing I do believe is most girls would probably try and match the helmet color to their bike...or is that just me? :p
Yes, many women like the matchy matchy bike and helmet look. I seem to have seen that especially in Denver, and in a lot of bike ads. But certainly not every woman would do that. IMO SM looks well "put together" as far as outfits, so I'm thinking matching bike and helmet would be totally on.
I have a bike helmet the color of SM's. It's mint green, women's. There were two different models in that color (a very low end one and a very high end one). It looks to me exactly like mine, which was the expensive model. It was out about 2 years ago and then got rotated out of the Giro lineup, cheap, cheap (when I purchased a year ago). The timeline on when this model was sold by Giro would correspond to the timeline that BM and SM arrived in Colorado.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario that SM would be engaged in a conversation with her bestie, have an argument start with BM, and not indicate something to her friend (I suppose she could have and we don't know about it - but based on what we heard on PE, it sounds like an abrupt end to a convo and the friend was trying to figure out what happened). I think if I'm texting with someone and an argument starts - I at least take the time to type "gotta go" or "I need to call you back" or whatever..... and it sure seems like that is what was missing from the conversation (based on what was said on PE). On top of that - we're talking murder here, so it's also hard to come up with something that would be said in an exchange between mothers talking about a wedding that would enrage someone to the point of murder (of course this is speculation, JMO, MOO since we don't have a transcript of that exchange). That's why I landed on a possible (intentional) disruption to the wifi router in the home....
A text conversation might end very quickly if someone showed up with a gun, or grabbed the phone, or something else very menacing.

@Minordetails posted “I’ve been Canada to Mexico Colorado to Africa and have never met someone so special and never have seen someone more beautiful! She’s beat cancer twice raised two of the best girls ever. But most of all has put up with me for 32 years!” Barry Morphew, Feb. 3, 2020

Barry can’t even compliment Suzanne without it being all about himself.

Passive-aggressive, backhanded, momma’s boy who likely got by in their household and in life by propping himself upon Suzanne’s good graces and reputation.
I'm actually shuddering at his words. I feel that you are right. His adversarial stance towards LE early on and his lack of presence led me to think that he has had no successful experience tolerating situations that don't go his way. It's the way he's made. Moo

Snipped for focus.
We only know this from TD though, correct? And it had to do with the brakes IIRC? And that could mean many things.
There are many booboos that could explain.... Not least, the front wheel was separated from the frame and put on backwards. There could have been a brake-lock feature on the handlebars that was engaged. The brake cables could have been missing or cut. Etc.

Is there a possibility that someone had tampered with her bike hoping she would have an accident.
Suzanne might have noticed a problem and taken it to the bike repair guy without telling Barry.

Are you saying that it might not be true? Or just that LE isn’t confirming what the family member said? Because LE rarely confirms anything so I hope it’s true! I’m counting on it because I trust Lauren wouldn’t have put it out there if it wasn’t. IMO

No, I'm saying they're neither confirming it's true, or denying it's not true.
The basic "due to the ongoing investigation I'm unable to comment on that" position we're all familiar with.
I mean, this is lawsuit stuff, if not true.
That's just one of the reasons I think it IS true.
But that is entirely

jmo

What the anonymous family member said about the GPS data may be
true or false. Investigators have neither confirmed nor denied the truthfulness of the statement.

I don't think Lauren knows with certainty that the GPS data contradicts Barry Morphew's account: she'd have had to see the data herself & compare it to Barry's account to be certain. I do think that Lauren spoke with the anonymous family member and is faithfully reporting what the family member told her.

"If" he left on Sunday morning at 5 a.m., How is that justified by supposedly going to Denver to allegedly set things up for the crew on Monday? Did the text messages fall off suddenly on Saturday with the best friend? IMO something happened to her Saturday night, and that helps explain why he allegedly left at 5 a.m. There is "something" about that 5 a.m. hour. What is the proof he was there at all on Sunday morning? Either of them for that matter.

Good point. It’s a Sunday, let alone Mother’s Day. He could’ve at least slept in with her and had breakfast together before spending the rest of the day in Denver.

Maybe 5 am because it allows him to avoid describing events of the morning with SM. She was sleeping.

MOO, speculation.

What the anonymous family member said about the GPS data may be
true or false. Investigators have neither confirmed nor denied the truthfulness of the statement.

I don't think Lauren knows with certainty that the GPS data contradicts Barry Morphew's account: she'd have had to see the data herself & compare it to Barry's account to be certain. I do think that Lauren spoke with the anonymous family member and is faithfully reporting what the family member told her.

Thanks for answering for me.
I think?
o_O

I can’t remember if @OldCop posted this or it was on PE. But the theory was that the item found on Hwy 50 was just a short distance heading away from the direction you’d go if you were heading to Denver.

Basically, if a perp wanted to make it seem like she was abducted and heading away from Denver while the perp’s alibi places them in Denver it might be yet another misdirection for LE to follow.

I’m pretty sure this was @OldCop ’s theory.
Yes, that was one of my thoughts. The false trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelicamcolon