Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't think BM is smart, just playing dumb about the bobcat.
The way he speaks, jumping all over the place, presenting BS continually.
He thought, late at night, he would not be detected, in his 'important outing'.
Why so important, at that late time, in the dark.o_O

It is all about ME.
LE read people.
Why did LE examine the Salida site in detail, results not released yet?
MOO.
I agree with you on this, @tmar. BM knew the property owner lived out of state. He didn’t consider the fact that neighbors might might notice someone out there in the middle of the night. Furthermore, he thought his plan was so foolproof that LE would be looking anywhere but in his direction. MOO

I definitely understand what you’re saying. To me that bizarre BM quote about SM saving someone could be:

BM had gotten himself into a financial hardship with someone whose only recourse was harm against BM. Therefor BM is justifying what he did to SM by saying that her death and transfer of assets to BM was worth it to her because it saved BM from the situation he got himself into.

I have to disagree because of what I think is a misunderstanding of the Baptist's beliefs. Discussion of religion violates TOS, and I'm providing this google definition not to initiate a discussion on religion but because BM brought up this specific belief, reported in MSM, and part of his interview with Fox21 reporter LS.

Baptists believe that heaven is a literal place where those who have been "saved" will live eternally in the presence of God. ... Baptists also believe that those who are saved will receive rewards from God based on what they have done in this life.

Southern Baptist Beliefs on Being Saved | Synonym

ETA: Suggest #3 - Eternal Security, at link.

Last edited:
I actually had a similar thought when he brought the 100K offer so fast then his video came out and he said "however much they want". I felt like it sounded like "shut up money".

After learning the demographics of the area (i.e., a clear understanding of BM's audience and his community), I've discussed BM's reward with individuals very similar to BM. I'm pretty confident with my control group. Let's just say they essentially confirmed my opinion of both BM's reward and the matching of the reward by his friend.

First, I don't believe SM was safe when the reward was offered.
I think BM's $100K was really no more than BM keeping up his bragging rights to his image. I think the match was probably half and half, goodwill, also somewhat bragging, and to shut or stop BM his tracks. Nobody one-uped him, but matching him was more or less the equivalent. MOO

BM’s behaviour makes so much sense for a guilty guy and yet in a sense, his behaviour is so odd. His behaviour is just strange enough to generate some conspiracy theories.
MOO
Yes indeed and some of those “theories” are being generated on FB by his staunch supporters. The question now becomes, how do these theories fit in with what we know? SM was in an extended convo with her good friend on Saturday lasting into the evening, then it “changed” and then it ended altogether with SM never being heard from again. If she was attacked that night by someone close to her OTHER than BM, where was he and how did her bike end up where it did on Sunday? IF she was still alive on Sunday morning, why did she not respond to her friend who was in a panic trying to reach her?

And, you are correct. His behaviour is definitely “odd” if not bizarre. MOO

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
May 16 ·
This past week was National Law Enforcement week. We use this time to recognize our men and women who are so very dedicated to protect all of us day in and day out. We also use this time to remember those who so bravely gave the ultimate sacrifice just doing what they love best.

As your sheriff I have had the pleasure serving with the men and women of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office as well as those who work in our fellow agencies, Salida Police, Buena Vista Police, Colorado State Patrol, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Bureau of Land Management and the Department of Corrections and most recently the Colorado Bureau of Investigations and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. I can honestly say I/we are very fortunate to have these men and women protecting us.

Over the past year the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has faced some very taxing incidents, the loss of our brother Roy Williams, the Decker Fire and now the Suzanne Morphew investigation and search. These incidents have tested our abilities and our commitment to duty but through all of this I have never been prouder to be associated with a finer crew of dedicated men and women. We are so very fortunate in a small community to have people who will run into the fire or line of fire as others run away, This includes our dispatchers, our detentions officers, and our records personnel.

I want to extend a huge thank you for all you have done. I truly feel that the best organization is only as good as those carrying the day in and day out burden. For that I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Respectfully

John A. Spezze

Chaffee County Sheriff
Yes -- and especially noting the date of this public announcement and recognition.

I’m about 50 pages behind, but I need to say this. I love her dad!! If Suzanne was anything like him, and I’m sure she was, everyone did love her. He is so adorable. Hearing his brief interview was such a light in this horrible situation. Going back to read....

This is an excellent post. Thank you for bringing it forward.

Questions (I need help jolting my memory): Did they close off the highway for hours the night the bike was allegedly found? Or only after the "item" was found? Also, was the item found during an organized search of the area? What prompted said search?

Edited to complete a sentence.
To my knowledge there were no reports of any roads closed off that first night. We know that within 24 hours over 100 LE personnel were involved in the search. By Wednesday both the CBI and the FBI were involved. Searches continued all week and involved canine teams, divers, SAR, swift water rescand officers on foot. It was on Thursday that the personal item was discovered. The Sheriff said they discovered the personal item which I take to mean it was one of the LE searchers. CCSO had stated they did not need volunteers, but Barry stated that he and his teams were searching a 200 mile radius. BM said that LE would not tell him what the personal item was which ruled out one of his search teams.
When the Sheriff announced that the item had been found, he also announced the road closure on Friday. This was an important search because that is a very busy highway that goes west over Monarch Pass. It was reported that they did not find anything else during that search. We do know from published reports that official searches continued until at least Sunday when photos were posted of dive teams searching local waters.
Hope this helps.
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

Last edited:
@Seattle1 and Paula if you look at Fox31 KDVR.com Facebook page under their “Live” section, there is still a 2+ hour video. You have to scroll way way back to May 22 and it’s called Search underway for SM in Salida.
I don’t know if the son is on there speaking , but there’s quite a lot of open mic.
Yes!! I remember the open mic which I thought mistake or not, this is great because we learned just how long the searchers had already been there (beginning Fri), and that that they would also be there on Sunday -- long before we had any info. I was so anxious to know what they expected to find that would keep them there 3 full days.

There's probably other video out there but I was looking specifically for the comment about the windows rattling because it corroborated OP's vibrations post. Thanks again for looking out for us @Cindizzi. :)

I live in a Denver suburb and I just don’t understand it. I believe Colorado has a fairly low crime rate vs many other states. It’s my hunch that there are heinous murders and abuses happening all over, but for whatever reason Colorado murders get a lot of attention. The demographics of the well known cases in Colorado seem to be similar in that they are all Caucasian, middle to upper middle class, and almost always with women/children victims.

In the suburb where I live, violent crimes are 77% lower than the national average.

There definitely are scarier places with much worse statistics. But neither of these places’ cases would make good material for a book, they are too realistic.

Colorado cases are glamorous. Each can generate dozens of books and movies.

All to a T fit certain archetypes, certain lifestyle patterns.

JonBenet, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the Wattses and the Sexy Mistress, the Beautiful Pilot Kelsey Berreth with Patrick and his Evil Nurse, and now, SM and BM - all of them were/are very photogenic, separately and in groups, all had their lives memorized in gorgeous photos, social medias, own movies (Hitmen for Hire), a game, the whole Facebook (Shanann), the legendary profession (a woman pilot), diaries; all were open with their online images. Some were rich (JonBenet’s family), most were solidly middle class, and the ones who struggled hard to create the image (the Wattses), still, lived in a beautiful home. No one was poor.

In the time when words like “social media influencer” and “lifestyle products” are becoming increasingly popular, all would fit into the category of influencers, whether they would like it or not. This is why the cases became high-profile.

One more thing, there are people who generate interest in any time period. I think it applies to all mentioned cases from Colorado.

In contrast, James Holmes, the Aurora shooter, a true genius, is never remembered. Looked odd. And experienced downward drift too soon in life. As the result, we know the names of all Columbine victims (some became archetypal heroes, too), but very seldom remember those killed in Aurora.

P.S. in no way did their social media images minimize the tragedies or real people, senselessly and brutally murdered by people whom they trusted. Hope for justice for Suzanne.

Last edited:
I’m about 50 pages behind, but I need to say this. I love her dad!! If Suzanne was anything like him, and I’m sure she was, everyone did love her. He is so adorable. Hearing his brief interview was such a light in this horrible situation. Going back to read....

It was sad for me to watch. He seemed crippled with sadness yet determined to be resolute. I agree, he is immensely likable and sincere.

And maybe it is unfair, but the last couple have been really horrific. Kelsie Berreth, chased all over her house and beaten to death with a baseball bat, partner's lover cleans up the blood and brain matter and crimps her hair before buying him lunch, watches him burn her body?
Christopher Watts murders his wife and little girls and dumps his daughters bodies in dirty stinking oil vats, so that their skin was peeling off them when they were found?
These are out of the ordinary murders.

Well, when you put it that way, not a great look for CO !? .... :eek:

(BBM) You nailed it with the spot-on summary of the Rodeo Queen! :D

Why would you think BM would have disdain for a well respected man with a long successful career in law enforcement? Maybe because he wasn't able to impress him with his inflated sense of self importance?
I couldn't imagine them mixing socially. BM has to be top dog in any group to feel comfortable.
And I gotta feeling BM plays loose with rules of decent society.
Maybe he really tried to be that God fearing husband, hoping it would pay off for him. But it looks like he's been in a midlife crisis since moving to Colorado. Old cop had a great post concerning this. I think he was bored with his life and breaking a few rules. Moo
They could have met at the gym.

Although the store manager has been interviewed elsewhere (non-MSM), fortunately, her story about BM stopping by the Poncha Springs Market and giving her the 'NOTE' was finally featured in MSM, allowing full discussion on the thread.

From what's been reported beginning early May, my interpretation was BM was traveling on the main thoroughfare US Hwy 50 (Maysville to the PS market is about 8 mins per mapquest) to Poncha Springs Market where US Hwy 50 intersects with US Hwy 285, which in itself is not unusual or suspicious.

Reportedly BM knocked on the window shortly after closing hours and told the storekeeper his daughters were working on posters but he wanted to make sure they had heard about SM missing.

The market would be a logical location for BM to stop as it's definitely a central stop and more importantly, an essential business that was allowed to remain open during the pandemic.

I was also under the impression that the storekeeper was not aware there was a missing cyclist (SM) and asked BM for a description of his wife and what she was last seen wearing when BM reportedly went to his truck and came back with his 3 line description that he'd jotted down on the back of a receipt. (i.e., baby blue bike, helmet, biking clothing).

Just as the rest of us have all been surprised that the public never received a physical description of SM (from LE or BM), the storekeeper also commented about how odd it seemed to her that BM gave no physical description of SM ie., her height, hair color, etc., -- probably more important for their market traffic.

I'd have to agree here that BM's description of SM was essentially a generic cyclist -- not even providing that he was reporting a 49-year-old female cyclist (noting that reportedly, cyclists in the town areas are hundredfold).

As for the date and timing of BM stopping at the store, I don't see anything unusual for BM to be in the area of the market.

I think it's possible the after-hours was intentional so BM would not encounter anybody he knew or would have to talk to anybody.

Also, in my opinion, I don't think the girls got home from Idaho until later Monday and makes sense they'd be trying to get the essential tools together on Tuesday such as posters.

One more reminder to add the BM's early, suspicious behavior: BM was intentionally not publicly identified as the missing woman's husband until May 15 -- 3 days after this store encounter, and 5 days after SM was reported missing. In fact, during the nephew or spokesperson's initial contact with media, TN declined to provide if SM had children, or if she lived with anyone.

MOO

Driving Directions from Maysville, CO to 6250 US Highway 285 Poncha Springs, CO - MapQuest
I wish she would have said if BM asked if they had cameras, I would expect that.

Yes!! I remember the open mic which I thought mistake or not, this is great because we learned just how long the searchers had already been there (beginning Fri), and that that they would also be there on Sunday -- long before we had any info. I was so anxious to know what they expected to find that would keep them there 3 full days.

There's probably other video out there but I was looking specifically for the comment about the windows rattling because it corroborated OP's vibrations post. Thanks again for looking out for us @Cindizzi. :)
Thread 5 Page 36

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #5

Or it wasn't a bobcat at all.

JMO
Wait! I thought it was a mountain lion that got her? Maybe it was both--a bobcat and a mountain lion, acting in tandem? And BM forgot to mention tigers and bears--oh my. Get your story straight, Barry, if you don't want to end up as a permanent resident of Oz.

good questions-
just a hunch but I think the bobcat will play an
important role once we know the real story.
Somehow LE is zeroing in on the bobcat so he's
trying to counter that.
Did he move her body in the shovel of the bobcat at some point? Was the bobcat at their home when he killed her? Did he try to bury her or temporarily bury her at the home job site? That bobcat is involved here somehow.
moo

Today, I think I'm more inclined to believe that the bobcat was at home (but I'm definitely not saying that a piece of equipment owned by BM was not loaded and moved off the Salida building site late Saturday night).

From earlier aerial photos of the residence, I recall seeing the bobcat in its place. Also from the overhead shots, there was obviously some walkway and a pedestrian cross-over work in progress. I also recall seeing a flatbed of mountain rock and slate adjacent to the bobcat.

More importantly, I noticed that BM designed what appeared to me to be an esthetic shield using some evergreen trees, specifically to block the pull-out or staging area where BM parked his bobcat. It just seems to be more indicative of something BM would do for a piece of equipment that was more or less home based.

I've also been thinking about BM's reputation of being a good neighbor and that would likely include using is Bobcat. There's long been a Bobcat marketing line: "We know every snowflake is different because we’ve cleared them all."
IMO, his skid steer loader would be first- choice for a year-round, home-based machine. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid