Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The house being cordoned off might also explain a bit about the silence on the Find SM Facebook page the last couple of days. Perhaps the page admins (including the nephew) knew something like this was going to happen.

I sure feel sorry for SM's daughters--mother missing, house cordoned off. A dark time for them, and everyone who loves SM.

The questioning regarding the time of the 911 call, long before dark, may simply be that Suzanne and the neighbor planned to be together.....maybe at a certain time after the ride. The neighbor may have become concerned her friend didn't show up, so called. No answer, so she went outside to check the road.....and found the abandoned bike. We also don't know what time Suzanne left for the bike ride, but if the neighbor saw her leave, LE has that info.

JMO
The distance from their home to 50 was not very far at all and I think it was less than 1 mile as the crow flies when I checked a map the other day. I now wonder if maybe the neighbor herself took the short drive along the normal route toward 50 to look for her as it was getting dark and maybe the neighor was the one who spotted her bicycle near the road.

https://kdvr.com/.../authorities-searching-home-of.../...
safe_image.php

KDVR.COM
Authorities searching home of missing Chaffee County woman

not directed at you specifically, but the article has since been updated:

“Correction: An earlier version of this story stated investigators are searching the home. While the house is cordoned off, authorities would not confirm whether it is being searched.”

Splitting hairs?

What does it mean to hold a house but not search it? Can someone please explain I’m not really clear on this. Does that mean nobody can go in or out? Why wouldn’t they search it if they are holding it? Thanks in advance for answers.
This isn't a direct answer -- but we don't know one way or the other if they are searching. All we know is that CBI wouldn't confirm whether the property is being searched. As to whether LE can deny a family access to a home without warrant, that is an advanced law question that's above my pay grade. JMO.

Why so long to search the home? I know time is needed to get search warrants but I feel like that was longer than usual with her bike and personal item found so close to the home. Seems as if they needed to get some specific type of evidence (cell or video) and it finally came in or someone is talking and has said something to give them enough to finally get a search warrant for the home. Glad things are finally moving in this case.

Processing evidence takes time, depending on what it is, and what tests have to be done & how backed up labs are.
So maybe, pure speculation, tests were run & the results came back that pointed the investigation directly at the house.

Just a guess.

Oh, I don't know....LE has cordoned the house off, but not 'searching'...'cause you know, you just don't want anyone in or out....just 'cause, not like there's a reason or anything lol

Eh......it's off limits for a reason

A gal who 'disappeared' on a bike ride - what's in that house that they apparently won't touch but don't want anyone else to either -?

Come on. That house is a potential source of incriminating evidence....that's why it's roped off

JMO :)

JMO
The distance from their home to 50 was not very far at all and I think it was less than 1 mile as the crow flies when I checked a map the other day. I now wonder if maybe the neighbor herself took the short drive along the normal route toward 50 to look for her as it was getting dark and maybe the neighor was the one who spotted her bicycle near the road.
If this were true, a bike found without the rider, it would explain why LE seemed to react with urgency so quickly.

The timing does seem weird.
I mean, being gone on a bike ride for a couple of hours in the late afternoon seems like a perfectly normal thing to do, and nothing that should be so alarming your neighbor reports you as a missing person to 911.

Obviously there's some info here (that would make this make sense) not being released. jmo

RSBM
Yesterday I would have been on the same page as you. What's the big deal? Last I remember riding a bike as a teen , it was no big deal, relaxing and fun. Mountain Biking is a different animal. I saw 2 great post today which totally turned me around. It’s not something I would do alone or without anybody knowing where I went. This is her neighborhood… the video was posted this morning. If you don't have 11 minutes just take a look from the 6 to 7 minute mark to get an idea.

If you have eleven minutes, you might want to watch the video at the link. The first portion is part of the preliminary preparation and ascent to the beginning of Fooses Lake Trail. At 2:08 begins the actual ride. The first mishap is a few seconds into the ride. The ride ends with a portion of the Fooses Lake Trail that merges into County Highway 226. The ending is at the Fooses Lake Trail Head, the site which has been pointed out as being 2000 feet from SM's house.
Monarch Pass bike roide - Bing video

Also this gem piece of advice…..posted by someone younger than Suzanne and I RSBM...point being what serious riders do....

My thoughts from what I've read so far as a cyclist and someone who lives in a rural Colorado community relatively near Monarch Pass:

1) If she was a SM user, I would be very surprised if she didn't have tracking apps active and wearables logging her location on all connected devices. I'm not the only one who regularly rides with Strava, Map My Ride, and/or Apple Workout all tracking at the same time. If she had a wearable like a watch vs a bike-attached tracker like a Garmin, chances are one of those apps would have continued tracking her movement....

4) I went MTBing by myself about three weeks ago and txt'd a local friend where I was going to ride and to notify LE if I wasn't back by 5pm. Why her instead of family? Well, she's local, if I needed help I could call her, I can also tell her the recreation area and trails and assure she will know the general area and be able to communicate said to LE. I then went boondocking for a weekend by myself and told my neighbor that I'd be back on Sunday. Why? Well, they've got eyes on my house my family doesn't. They know the area I said I was going to and could notify and communicate that to LE better than family could. Both of these are routine events and I'm not calling my family every day when I hit a trail or the road or go skiing or ......., but I'll be with people or people will know where I am.

Last edited:
It’s an interrogation tactic. I repeat, never take a polygraph. ESPECIALLY if innocent.
My daughter was taking a polygraph, when she was trying to get an internship with the FBI. She's a pretty anxious person anyways, but when they said "is your name ........." she replied "yes", and it indicated she wasn't telling the truth.:D

RSBM
Yesterday I would have been on the same page as you. What's the big deal? Last I remember riding a bike as a teen , it was no big deal, relaxing and fun. Mountain Biking is a different animal. I saw 2 great post today which totally turned me around. It’s not something I would do alone or without anybody knowing where I went. This is her neighborhood… the video was posted this morning

Also this gem piece of advice…..posted by someone younger than Suzanne and I RSBM...point being what serious riders do....

I may have totally missed this but has it been confirmed she was mountain biking vs road biking?

RSBM
Yesterday I would have been on the same page as you. What's the big deal? Last I remember riding a bike as a teen , it was no big deal, relaxing and fun. Mountain Biking is a different animal. I saw 2 great post today which totally turned me around. It’s not something I would do alone or without anybody knowing where I went. This is her neighborhood… the video was posted this morning

RSBM

Holey Moley! That's a whole new ballgame! I think Suzanne was more into road biking than mountain bike riding.

RSBM

Great points.

House is held? What does that mean. They want everyone out of it and "maybe" going to search it? Husband and daughters must be going crazy.
I was under the impression that none of them were staying at the house. According to the G* F* M* Page the funds raised were for housing accommodations and food for family members. I guess that could mean distant relatives though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214