Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long-time 'guest lurker' and I've had a membership for a while but never actually posted. But I'm going to jump in here. And forgive me if I say something that's already been said or I'm way off base. I tend to have an overactive imagination, plus I'm in NJ, so I've been in COVID lockdown for 2-months and counting, gives me lots of time to think.

That said...I hope Suzanne is found alive and well. But the one thing that stands out to me about this case, is the lack of information that is being put out. And yes, I know LE does that from time to time for specific reasons, but everything is so vague. And though I may not have read every single detail or been to the FB pages to see what is being posted there, the fact the timeline on when she was actually last seen, is changing, that just makes this more confusing.

I was starting to wonder if she didn't leave on her own accord. I know suicide/self-harm has been discussed and pretty much debunked but there have been cases where people do just leave. Not speculating on her motives for doing so, but if her husband and daughters were all away that weekend would have been the perfect opportunity to just take-off. And finding the bike could just be a red herring. Someone could have picked her up. Maybe that's why too LE wants the video footage from the area.

Of course, that could just be wishful thinking of having her alive and choosing to walk away, and me grasping for a somewhat happy outcome.

Long-time 'guest lurker' and I've had a membership for a while but never actually posted. But I'm going to jump in here. And forgive me if I say something that's already been said or I'm way off base. I tend to have an overactive imagination, plus I'm in NJ, so I've been in COVID lockdown for 2-months and counting, gives me lots of time to think.

That said...I hope Suzanne is found alive and well. But the one thing that stands out to me about this case, is the lack of information that is being put out. And yes, I know LE does that from time to time for specific reasons, but everything is so vague. And though I may not have read every single detail or been to the FB pages to see what is being posted there, the fact the timeline on when she was actually last seen, is changing, that just makes this more confusing.
quote snipped by me.... Well I don't know if the timeline on when she was actually last seen is changing.... we have just never had a timeline in the first place. LE is now asking residents to preserve any video from May 8, but we don't know (and have never known) if or who or when SM was last seen by anyone. All that has been in MSM is that LE said a neighbor said that SM had reportedly gone out for a bike ride. There's nothing to even indicate for sure that the neighbor saw with their own eyes that SM had left her house on a bike.

Very odd case in terms of how little information is being shared in a missing person's case. Neither LE or the family seems to be asking the public for help. Even the requests to save video is a "don't call us, we'll call you." Which sounds to me like if LE narrows in on suspect, warrant/arrest, and that person makes any claims where they were or were not, LE can possibility use video to prove or disprove their claims. (As opposed to seeking out information on possible victim or suspect sightings or unusual behaviors caught on camera.)

Stay safe up there in NJ! I know it's a different world right now up in the tri-state area.

Last edited:

I was starting to wonder if she didn't leave on her own accord. I know suicide/self-harm has been discussed and pretty much debunked but there have been cases where people do just leave. Not speculating on her motives for doing so, but if her husband and daughters were all away that weekend would have been the perfect opportunity to just take-off. And finding the bike could just be a red herring. Someone could have picked her up. Maybe that's why too LE wants the video footage from the area.

Of course, that could just be wishful thinking of having her alive and choosing to walk away, and me grasping for a somewhat happy outcome.
Welcome Zengirl! Great 1st post!

I don’t think her leaving on her own in some way is completely off the table. It’s definitely possible (and preferable to many other scenarios). LE has given the impression that they don’t suspect self harm or her leaving on her own, but until she is found, anything is possible IMO. I so hope she is found today. People should never be just missing.

The Morphew home is fairly remote.

I know that in semi-quarantine, I am having a lot more stuff delivered to my house than I normally would. (thanks Amazon!)

I know some of the Amazon drivers, especially earlier on, were using non-marked vehicles or vans and weren't wearing a uniform, so it was a bit disconcerting trying to figure out who they were when the Ring or the security camera caught them.

Would UPS, UPSP, or FedEX normally deliver directly to their home or would deliveries be left at a central depot in Mayville or Salida, for example?

Would the Morphew's get mail delivery at their home or would there be maiboxes nearer Route 225 and Highway 50 or even in Mayville or Monarch?

That's hard to say. They're close enough to Highway 50 they may just get all of their mail dropped off at home, but a lot of these mountain communities have communal mailboxes located somewhere central where the whole neighborhood has mail delivered. They'll often still deliver bigger packages directly to your door, though.

Welcome Zengirl! Great 1st post!

I don’t think her leaving on her own in some way is completely off the table. It’s definitely possible (and preferable to many other scenarios). LE has given the impression that they don’t suspect self harm or her leaving on her own, but until she is found, anything is possible IMO. I so hope she is found today. People should never be just missing.

The only issue I have with the possibility of her leaving voluntarily is that the sheriff used the phrase "criminal investigation" and it seems unlikely that the FBI and other agencies would be called in so quickly for someone who just did a runner.

Question for you more experienced sleuthers: in past cases, when the FBI was called to help, what sort of evidence was being collected early on?
Not a direct answer to your question, more of an aside, but in the Kelsey Berreth case, the DA said even the FBI learned new things from investigating phone pings in that case. Like even if your phone drops a call, there are ways to figure out the car speed and how far away you are from a cell phone tower. And that was something they learned that gave LE even more tools and knowledge they gleaned from working that case.

We don't know if SM had her phone on her at the time or if that was one of the personal items found. But the FBI is going to have a lot more resources to pursue an electronic trail. I'd like to think they have processed the home, looking for fingerprints or trace DNA of any unknown intruder if they are thinking it's an abduction. Was there a note? Why is the family's big push to immediately offer a large sum of money and a video that is essentially willing to negotiate with kidnappers? Did something prompt that? (As opposed to things like, if anyone has seen her, if anyone knows where she is, if anyone has seen anything unusual, if anyone saw suspicious cars or people in the area, if anyone has seen anyone they know acting unusual...)

Other questions, not necessarily related to why the FBI would be needed - was the house locked up? Did they have a Nest/Yale lock code type device where there is an electronic history of who has gone into the house or not? Home cameras that would have shown her leaving the house and if she was wearing biking clothes/helmet or not? Home security alerts that would show a garage door opening if she had been getting her bike out of the garage?

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the possibility of her leaving voluntarily is that the sheriff used the phrase "criminal investigation" and it seems unlikely that the FBI and other agencies would be called in so quickly for someone who just did a runner.

It's definitely a very remote possibility, but sometimes foul play is involved in a voluntary disappearance - stuff like fraud and ID theft.

In the available pictures of Suzanne, has anyone noticed a Fitbit or an Apple watch or anything like that? I haven't noticed, but I may not have seen all available pictures.

Also, slightly O/T
Isn't it incredible, the electronic data that is able to be recovered? The math/physics etc involved in being able to tell how fast a car is going with a cell phone inside the car based on pings makes my head explode.

BBM

Who asked him to make the video? I was under the impression it was self-produced and put on fb by the family.
bbm
I believe you're correct.

It would have been helpful if the husband had a presser with LE and taken questions earlier.
The sadly deceased Gannon Stauch and Kelsey Berreth both had family members who had pressers with LE.

And LE are not treating this as an abduction so unless they clarify....
No last description of Suzanne and no 'be on the lookout for'.
Again as other posters have put it --watch what LE DO; not just what they say.

Last edited:
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members