Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fasten your seatbelts sleuthers
I’ve updated the media thread with what is allowed

Yep. And away we go.

<modsnip: Do not ask about other members>

It says this at the bottom
Correction: An earlier version of this story stated investigators are searching the home. While the house is cordoned off, authorities would not confirm whether it is being searched.

Waiting for a search warrant?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm not new to any of this but I don't think I know this...do police need a search warrant if the family willingly allows them in to look around? I'd guess yes, because things can turn sour and be thrown out if they didn't do everything by the book every time. Just curious!

If they found anything they believe may possibly be of evidentiary value they would almost certainly get a search warrant.

We have seen it in multiple cases, whether the family agrees to a search or not is a moot point really as it's just more rock solid when it comes to prosecuting the case to have the evidence protected by a search warrant.

With that said we have no idea if a search warrant has been issued in this case

Why so long to search the home? I know time is needed to get search warrants but I feel like that was longer than usual with her bike and personal item found so close to the home. Seems as if they needed to get some specific type of evidence (cell or video) and it finally came in or someone is talking and has said something to give them enough to finally get a search warrant for the home. Glad things are finally moving in this case.

I just got off the phone with Chaffee County Sheriff’s PIO. She tells me #suzannemorphew home is being held for the open investigation and that they are looking at all possibilities. They are not searching the home. This still remains a missing person case. More on @FOX21News

Lauren Scharf on Twitter

Well, what the hey? This case has more oddities with just a little information as I think I've ever seen.

Why so long to search the home? I know time is needed to get search warrants but I feel like that was longer than usual with her bike and personal item found so close to the home. Seems as if they needed to get some specific type of evidence (cell or video) and it finally came in or someone is talking and has said something to give them enough to finally get a search warrant for the home. Glad things are finally moving in this case.

I don't have any clue whether this is whats happening in this case or not, but we have seen in previous cases where they collect things and send it to the lab and then find they need additional things to test.

In fact we saw it in the GS case, where they made multiple trip to the victims home to collect evidence

I don't think it's been confirmed that they are searching the home. I thought the whole property was cordoned off early on, though. For some reason I thought the property, including the house, was part of the general search area. Jmo

According to Google, the sun set at 8:06 PM there on May 10. It would have still been very light out when the neighbor called the cops. I agree that there had to be some reason for her to be concerned to call that early. Now, we don't know what time she saw Suzanne leave. I guess if she saw her leave at like 10 AM and then couldn't get a hold of her almost 8 hours later, she might have cause to be concerned. MOO

I can look up Sunrise/Sunset for Poncha Springs, too. Anyone who has ever lived in the mountains knows that the sun sets very early on the east side of mountains, and closer to the published times on the west side. High mountains play havoc with the horizon. I do not know exactly when it would have gotten dark, but by experience of having lived in Colorado mountains, I estimated that it would have been too dark to ride in steep woods alone, on the east side of the pass, by the time the neighbor called. That is why I stated it as my opinion, not as linked fact. Again, IMO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-19 Sunrise Sunset Calendars.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-19 Sunrise Sunset Calendars.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
According to Google, the sun set at 8:06 PM there on May 10. It would have still been very light out when the neighbor called the cops. I agree that there had to be some reason for her to be concerned to call that early. Now, we don't know what time she saw Suzanne leave. I guess if she saw her leave at like 10 AM and then couldn't get a hold of her almost 8 hours later, she might have cause to be concerned. MOO

JMO
Thank you for checking when it got dark. I thought it was still too early to be dark out when the call to LE came in.

So I agree with you that there must have been something else that triggered the call to LE. The neighbor may have known she always took a certain route which may mean the neighbor knew when to expect her back. Or maybe the neighbor saw something else happen that made her get concerned. Like seeing a vehicle leave shortly after she left or something along those lines.

Things moving fast now all of a sudden. Scary to hear of the house being cordoned off. LE knows a lot that we dont know yet as usual.

This could wrap around back to someone she closely knows and with the LE activity near the house, it could be leaning that way.

It is also scary to think back to the Mickey Shunick case.

"Lavergne intentionally hit Shunick's bike and insisted that she enter his truck,"

Mickey Shunick Fought for Her Life, Court Documents Reveal

What does it mean to hold a house but not search it? Can someone please explain I’m not really clear on this. Does that mean nobody can go in or out? Why wouldn’t they search it if they are holding it? Thanks in advance for answers.

The questioning regarding the time of the 911 call, long before dark, may simply be that Suzanne and the neighbor planned to be together.....maybe at a certain time after the ride. The neighbor may have become concerned her friend didn't show up, so called. No answer, so she went outside to check the road.....and found the abandoned bike. We also don't know what time Suzanne left for the bike ride, but if the neighbor saw her leave, LE has that info.

Starting at 6:10 of the 5/19/20 NG podcast, Crime Online investigative reporter Nicole Partin tells NG, in regards to the neighbor seeing SM: “she sees her and knows she’s headed out on the bike ride. Late in the afternoon when she doesn’t return, the neighbor gets concerned and calls authorities.”

“....according to the next door neighbor they had seen her go out for bike rides several times but today for sure.” (At least it sounds like “but today for sure” but it’s garbled by NG and Nicole cross-talking.)

<modsnip: unnecessary>

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree! I’m not convinced that the neighbor saw her leave on that particular day. I want to hear it directly from the neighbor or LE.
THIS!!!
I need to hear it directly. It’s the first we’ve actually heard of this and it felt like third hand knowledge, I feel that LE’s entire investigation would be going differently if this were the case. Moo

What does it mean to hold a house but not search it? Can someone please explain I’m not really clear on this. Does that mean nobody can go in or out? Why wouldn’t they search it if they are holding it? Thanks in advance for answers.
This was done in the Jennifer Dulos case too wasn't it. No one in or out.
Both her house and later Fotis's house I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234