Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is honor killing even a thing in the United States? Why do you feel this? Just curious.

Honor killings are not common in the US but they occur sufficiently such that the DOJ commissioned a report about them in 2015.

I haven't worked on such a case myself, but -- from a prosecutor's viewpoint -- it creates quite a quandry. In Indiana, aggravating factors (criminal history, careful planning of a crime, character of the offender, etc.) can be demonstrated to ask for a more severe sentence. However, to the extent that an "honor killing" is based on a belief that the killing was required due to "ethnic or cultural group identity," would it run afoul of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to argue that this type of killing reflects negatively on the character of the offender? I do not think that courts have answered this question, probably because the phenomenon is so uncommon.

View attachment 263061
I am confident investigators found evidence of a crime in the Morphew residence. These pictures speak a thousand words. CBI is not going to be showing AM all their cards.

Maybe. Yet Andy specifically said that (a) no sign of a struggle was found in the Morphew home and (b) various working dogs couldn't pick up on anything on the property.

Maybe. Yet Andy specifically said that (a) no sign of a struggle was found in the Morphew home and (b) various working dogs couldn't pick up on anything on the property.
Dogs can be unreliable and looking at the original lists posted by ccso, there were no HRD dogs used. I would love for a team of HRD dogs used in and around the Morphew home.

I really hate it when a killer is able to hide a body so well that authorities are unable to make an arrest due to lack of other solid evidence. I hate that the perpetrator is walking free, like he or she is winning. Sometimes I have to mentally walk away from a case because I fear this is what has happened. I understand from a LE standpoint why the person suspected here has not been arrested, but look at all of the people involved in trying to figure out this mystery. We are beating our heads against a wall. That would include SM’s family who is organizing a giant search effort. I hope they are not disappointed but I fear they will be. We can talk about chlorine odors, FB posting oddities and JP’s criminal history and many things but if there isn’t enough evidence there just isn’t. I hope I don’t read a year from now that this person who, IMO, is likely responsible, has cashed in and duped even more victims. It’s really disgusting to think about. jmo

I think it’s healthy to take a break and watch from the periphery for a couple weeks. I did that early on when there wasn’t much info coming out.

I think the challenge in this case is how little we know compared to what LE most likely knows. I also breath a little easier knowing that the CBI and FBI are involved and boy have those agencies seen more than their fair share of crazy Colorado cases and come out on the winning end.

And while we discuss the same handful of details ad naseum on here, they paint a pretty clear picture to me and probably represent less than 25% of what LE knows and has.

I’m eagerly awaiting Lauren’s segment this week for new info. We might even get some teasers today. And every time a rumor pops up, within about a week it becomes fact through a verified source. That is a really interesting phenomenon and makes me want to seek out current rumors.

But if you want to take a break, I’d recommend keeping a browser open on Twitter and searching the hashtag #suzannemorphew. Then just refresh that page once a day to see if anything major happened. That’s what I did about a month into the case and it was a nice break.

Of course, I’m hooked back in right now and you’d think the only internet site my phone is able to access is websleuths. :oops:

Last edited:
At this moment, BM is free, that’s a fact. But at the same time, he’s not free. Not really.

He miscalculated how much publicity this case would get, and he underestimated law enforcement. He never imagined they’d never buy what he was selling.

He thought he’d put up a big reward, and that would placate the public. What he didn’t realize, was that the public expected him to do what all loving spouses do in a situation like this: Speak up, and do everything in his power to find his wife.

In the past couple of weeks though, the pressure has mounted. Reporters are calling, and knocking on his door. Suzanne’s family has turned on him, and information is beginning to flow. The people that he surrounded himself with are starting to talk, and intriguing details are coming to light.

He knows his story is full of holes, his alibi is suspicious, and the house of cards is poised to collapse. He can try to discredit these witnesses, law enforcement, and whoever else he wants. That’s all he has though, as the truth is not on his side.

He’s fighting a battle that he can’t win.

Attention is growing, searchers are coming, and at any moment, law enforcement could roll up on his door.

Then it all ends for him.

Fancy house, nice cars, solid image, and beautiful family. Gone.

I can’t imagine the stress of all that, and although it can’t compare to what Suzanne must have gone through, I gotta admit, it’s a bit of poetic justice.

<modsnip: Removed direct accusation>

Perfectly stated. Just perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i was BM's mom, i would have had several talks with him by now, to bite his tongue, swallow his pride, focus less on being righteous and offended, and encourage him to reconect with LE and Suzanne's side of the family, for the goal of finding out what happened to the mother of my grandchidren
And maybe she has...

And if he had a problem with that, if he was resistant to that, he and i would have a problem, and i would feel uncomfortable

Edited to add:
I've never been in BM's mother's situation so the above is just what i think i would do and feel

Last edited:
Dogs can be unreliable and looking at the original lists posted by ccso, there were no HRD dogs used. I would love for a team of HRD dogs used in and around the Morphew home.

That does seem to be a shortcoming in the investigation. Again -- if I was Barry's trial counsel -- I would bring this out at trial as well.

RS&BBM

At first, I sort of expected this too but then I couldn't remember if in early May, most places were even doing this yet? I know some places were but was most of Colorado?

It's kind of hard to keep it all straight since, the last 5+ months have sort of felt like that week between Christmas and New Years. You know, you can't remember what day it is, and/or if you even need to get dressed because, you're probably not going anywhere anyway.

I know at some point fairly early on we were ordering almost everything from online sources and had homemade disinfectant wipes in the foyer to wipe down all packages. But then... different states and provinces were in different states of infection rates at that time so a lot of us weren't really on "high alert" quite yet on Mother's Day weekend. I know not everyone was routinely disinfecting everything in sight, lol. (I still am, don't come for me).

Wondering if our local Colorado folks remember how locked down Mother's Day weekend was where you are?

The last week of April our Stay at Home orders shifted to the Safer at Home. Restaurants were still closed except for curbside pickup. Essential businesses open only. In taking drives on the weekends many of the smaller mountain towns were busy with people enjoying the outdoors hiking/biking. I looked back through notifications I saved to mark the unbelievable days and we were asked to stay in our home counties through mid June. Early May we were still very much in disinfecting mode after the ski areas were closed as Colorado was hit hard with all the Spring Break tourists that had traveled here before the virus was understood.

Colorado COVID-19 Progress Update As Stay-Home, Safer At Home Orders Change Rules For Residents Often: Keep It Up, Polis Says

Last edited:
There are times I feel like details in cases get blown out of proportion, this is not one of them.

It seems like Andy is gaining courage with all the support he's receiving. Telling us small things that paint a picture of the marriage which contrast with the pretty pictures.

I don't think Barry was a wife-beater, but there are other ways a man can treat their wife that are just as bad. Isolating Suzanne from her lifelong friends and family, maybe even poisoning the girls minds against them seems possible here.

I also think he used Christianity to manipulate Suzanne.
I agree.

And denying her the use of well known treatments for her pain and anxiety is just wrong and rudely controlling. She should have been able to make her own decisions about her medications. Especially if they were suggested to her by medical staff.

He used shame and control to prevent her from receiving pain relief and emotional support she sorely needed. :mad:

true that.
So what else might he have been carrying into
the Holiday Inn?
Clean clothes?
Clean shoes or boots?
Maybe he stole the chlorine from the hotel pool area? To douse his soiled clothes, shoes. ??
Then ditch them in some trash bin after he soaked them to remove evidence. ??
He might have had some kind of chlorine/bleach products in his work truck? My gardener has a huge jug of it on his truck and cleans tools and equipment when it is messy or greasy, then cleans it with hose.

I totally agree with this.

In addition to Covid concerns, it's hard to figure out why a guy with an apparently successful business and money (as evidenced by his home and property) would be sharing a room with a laborer. It just makes no sense.

It makes even less sense when we remember there were actually 3 crew persons there, not just JP.

If i was BM's mom, i would have had several talks with him by now, to bite his tongue, swallow his pride, focus less on being righteous and offended, and encourage him to reconect with LE and Suzanne's side of the family, for the goal of finding out what happened to the mother of my grandchidren
And maybe she has...

And if he had a problem with that, if he was resistant to that, he and i would have a problem, and i would feel uncomfortable

Edited to add:
I've never been in BM's mother's situation so the above is just what i think i would do and feel
It's impossible to know what is happening in private, but IMO all moms get a free pass in situations like this. I think it is hard-wired in most mothers to believe in their children and overall that's a good thing. Per the DW, BMs mom is a truly wonderful woman (I know you weren't stating otherwise, but wanted to put that out there). JMO, but I imagine anyone close to him is probably walking on eggshells.

not going to lie its to late to think about property law and estate planning. one thing i will say though, is there could be a will and BM could gain nothing potentially if it exists. the Morphews has millions of dollars worth of property and assets scatter across 2 states so it seems likely estate planning would have been done, especially since SM just received an inheritance herself. of course theres not real way to know unless probate paper get filed after a body is found or death is legally declared so its all speculation

I would think they have a fairly solid, well thought out will, just from her bouts with cancer and at the time two minor children.

You mentioned LS but I believe you mean Profiling Evil as they are the ones who did the Skype with AM and GM. What did you think was off about the father looking over at the son?
Yes of course I should have looked back at the video.It's like they were silently communicating with looks.IDK like they were thinking things that they didn't want to come right out and say.

Hmm this makes the most sense to me now and ties in with barry's comment.

" i didn't do anything wrong IN THE HOTEL"

Its possible he arrived at the hotel already reeking of chlorine and simply showerd there and left the room reeking as a result.

That's possible. Maybe he had clorine on his clothes from scrubbing his truck bed, or tools, or cooler, or bobcat.

He was so adamant that he did nothing wrong in that hotel room. But maybe compared to murdering your wife, it didn't feel like bleaching tools was all that wrong.

I can just imagine him following the speculation about this case and blowing a gasket every time the speculation is incorrect.

I did not shoot Suzanne in the basement!!!! ( It was in the den)
I did not bury her in my cooler!!!!
(I took her out first, I love that cooler)
I did not disconnect the security cameras on Saturday!!!!!
(It was Friday)

And so on, and so on. All moo of course, but I believe it, after sensing the emotion that he exhibited when he spoke of the hotel room.

It's impossible to know what is happening in private, but IMO all moms get a free pass in situations like this. I think it is hard-wired in most mothers to believe in their children and overall that's a good thing. Per the DW, BMs mom is a truly wonderful woman (I know you weren't stating otherwise, but wanted to put that out there). JMO, but I imagine anyone close to him is probably walking on eggshells.

My heart goes out to his mum,she must be distraught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader