Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE officers ask Judges to seal their search warrants to prevent disclosure of the document that's public record. That alone is why we don't actually know why it's sealed but we can speculate why LE made the request.

To begin with, I think what we're going to see is a lot more of these types of affidavits and search warrants that are requested sealed just because so many more phones are being searched. A warrant is now required to request location data on a suspect from their phone carrier. Officials used to just get a court order.

As this is a pending investigation, keeping private the identities of those being investigated and others who might be helping police in the investigation would be another valid reason to seal the warrant. Police don't want us to know who they are talking to.

Another possibility here is if the suspect (e.g., alleged abductor) is at large, police wouldn't want them to know that they are on to them. Police need to look and see who is contacting who, and who is involved-- that could mean multiple phones to look at, cell phone tower dumps, and warrants required to determine their phone locations.

Also, LE made the request for residents to preserve their surveillance video. We don't know whose video has been collected or will be collected and the police probably want to keep that information private also.

MOO

I mentioned this earlier but it is extremely important. Law Enforcement (LE) doesn't simply designate a warrant as sealed or not. In Colorado, LE has to show by clear and convincing evidence that unless the warrant is sealed there is a substantial risk of injury to persons or property.

Yes! In my personal opinion, I think it must’ve been quite some time that the daughters had not talked to their mom and grew concerned.

If a neighbor truly saw SM, we would have a description from that day. We don’t.

I’m feeling more and more that the bike and “personal items” were staged, and something happened in the home. MOO

The staging takes time and an overview of the situation, if that's is the case. Either it is someone from the area, or someone who made himself familiar with the area in order to do this.

The staging takes time and an overview of the situation, if that's is the case. Either it is someone from the area, or someone who made himself familiar with the area in order to do this.
Oh I’m definitely leaning towards someone from the area. Like real close to the area. MOO

And we know LE are looking for CCTV from May 8. This person had plenty of time to stage the area IMO

Oh geez.

Nancy: Question. This is an open question to anyone on the panel. Do we have ANY sighting of her on Mother's Day out on her bike? AT ALL? Why do we even think she was ON a bike?? Where'd that come from?? Do we have an idea on that, Ellen Killoren?"

Um from your OWN SHOW NANCY.

Ellen: There are a lot of questions about that. As far as I know, NO ONE saw her on her bike on Mother's Day.

This is where it came from Nancy:

On Nancy's last podcast, Nicole Partin says the next door neighbor: "Sees her and knows she's headed out on the bike ride. Late in the afternoon, when she doesn't return, the neighbor gets concerned and calls authorities."

Nancy: "Do you know why the neighbor realized something was amiss at 6pm?"

Nicole: "Only thing we know is she told authorities is that it was getting dark, it was getting late, and she knew she should have been back by now."

I mentioned this earlier but it is extremely important. Law Enforcement (LE) doesn't simply designate a warrant as sealed or not. In Colorado, LE has to show by clear and convincing evidence that unless the warrant is sealed there is a substantial risk of injury to persons or property.

So glad you shared this. Can you give some real or hypothetical examples of what sort of evidence might fall under clear and convincing? Apologies if you already did. I swear I've been keeping up :).

I've been updating her media thread and I do not recall LE ever confirming a bike was found - it was his family (nephew) IIRC that said the bike was found and that the public should ask LE about it.
John Fenton@higuysimjohn
Nephew of missing Chaffee County woman Suzanne Morphew who disappeared on bike ride Sunday confirms her bike has been found.Still no sign of Suzanne. Reward now increased to $200,000 for her safe return.
——-
Find Suzanne Morphew
Just to clarify I believe it is SM’s nephew not BM’s nephew. Also in response to why would her nephew put up a page for a “ family that did not need it” as another poster asked ? IMO we have no way of knowing if the family would need the money or not. The lifestyle of SM and her immed family gave the perception of “wealth” but was it just a facade?

If I say this wrong or somehow violate the TOS someone please advise as this is my second attempt - wouldn't it be possible for a person to use an alibi of being two hours away because he/she, for example, is attending a weekend training session, educational seminar, wedding...it doesn't really matter what. Leave his/her phone at that location and travel back to his/her home location, commit a crime back home, then return back to the location two hours away....virtually undetected by either traveling at night, using a rental car, or using a stolen car. Let's say the crime was either theft of property or perhaps another much more serious felony. The distance between the home location and the location two hours away would seem to allow for the disposal of evidence of any kind along the way.
Jodi Arias tried this. She lived in CA and had let everyone know she was headed to Utah. She "lost" her phone en route and drove to Arizona where her victim lived, slaughtered him, got back on the road. When she got close to the Nevada border, she magically "found" her phone under the car seat, and then continued on her way to Salt Lake as though she'd never been in Arizona.

This didn't turn out well for Jodi.

Arias's LE interrogation is always a fascinating watch, including the part about the phone and the detours. Start here, but plan on several hours:

Last edited:
This copter video of the Morphew home shows how remote the place is. I don't even know how anyone could have seen her biking. Looks like homes are down long driveways. Even a daylight abduction wouldn't be seen, IMO. I tried looking for cameras and did not see any obvious exterior cameras. Of course there may be light bulb cameras triggered by movement or inside cams pointing out, IDK. I wonder if LE would mention that but I don't think so. They're keeping everything close to the vest.

Copter4 Video: Search For Suzanne Morphew

Nancy: We wait, as justice -- Hold on, before I sign off. Am I missing anything, Lauren Scharf? Do we have anything new - AND I KNOW THE SHERIFF HASN'T CONFIRMED IT -- (Everyone starts snickering) whatever it is - hit me."
Nancy's so irritated lol. Priceless. She wants unconfirmed reports, people!!!! I get it. This is her thing. It's just almost comical listening to a reporter try to stay as factual as possible with no fun tidbits and listening to her get frustrated. ;)

This copter video of the Morphew home shows how remote the place is. I don't even know how anyone could have seen her biking. Looks like homes are down long driveways. Even a daylight abduction wouldn't be seen, IMO. I tried looking for cameras and did not see any obvious exterior cameras. Of course there may be light bulb cameras triggered by movement or inside cams pointing out, IDK. I wonder if LE would mention that but I don't think so. They're keeping everything close to the vest.

Copter4 Video: Search For Suzanne Morphew
The chopper also gets video of an unpaved road or pull off site where I'm assuming her bike was found, maybe?

If SM is not alive (obviously I am NOT hoping for that outcome!) what are the odds that her body will be found?

Just curious as I am still new to following missing persons cases.

ETA: If this type of question isn’t allowed, I sincerely apologize! Please don’t put me in time out.

Have they searched the land of any property owned by anyone close to Suzanne? Not just the house. Land. Fresh dirt. Seems like obvious place to start. And I’m sure a reason for not wanting public help in searches is the liability putting them in danger if terrain is pretty steep.

Just to clarify I believe it is SM’s nephew not BM’s nephew. Also in response to why would her nephew put up a *** page for a “ family that did not need it” as another poster asked ? IMO we have no way of knowing if the family would need the money or not. The lifestyle of SM and her immed family gave the perception of “wealth” but was it just a facade?

The nephew is a blood relative of BM and related to SM by marriage. Unless I misunderstood your post....

Have they searched the land of any property owned by anyone close to Suzanne? Not just the house. Land. Fresh dirt. Seems like obvious place to start. And I’m sure a reason for not wanting public help in searches is the liability putting them in danger if terrain is pretty steep.

terrain is pretty steep.........IMO

With your comment in mind, it seems reasonable to conclude that there wasn't any scent to track otherwise the tracking dogs would have had hit upon SM's scent. Why wouldn't there be any scent one wonders, it is not that the scent had days to dissipate?

This is where handlers can become very cranky. Unless LE released information that was given to them by that K9 handler or through the teams IC, we just don’t know what the dogs did or did not track. As far as I know, unless I’m wrong, that has not happened. IMO

Oh geez.

Nancy: Question. This is an open question to anyone on the panel. Do we have ANY sighting of her on Mother's Day out on her bike? AT ALL? Why do we even think she was ON a bike?? Where'd that come from?? Do we have an idea on that, Ellen Killoren?"

Um from your OWN SHOW NANCY.

Ellen: There are a lot of questions about that. As far as I know, NO ONE saw her on her bike on Mother's Day.
bbm
Exactly.

My .02 is that the answer to that may be known to only a select few.
And may be critical to the investigation !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver