Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

Or someone else did.

If I tried to reach my mom on MD several times without success and became concerned, my first call would not be to a neighbor.

I'd reach out to my dad, to see if he'd heard from/spoken to her that day.

JMO.
We don't know that they didn't reach out to him when they could not reach her. He could have said he hadn't heard from her either and he was not home yet from his trip. Try the neighbor. As far as going on a bike ride maybe that was a Sunday thing she did for herself. So maybe the neighbor assumed well she must be on a bike ride. I think there may have been a case of "telephone", is on a bike ride versus, might be on a bike ride, see her do that often on Sunday. Sometimes people mis- speak trying to be helpful to calm others down in a concerning situation. Maybe she went on a back ride I think I saw her. . .

Ok, so what could have possibly happened to SM?

If abduction, where are the press conferences with pleas from family and LE, along with some type of description? I know BM offered a reward, once, and not a word since?

If voluntary, again, where are the pleas or BOLOs?

If lost or missing, who is looking? Where is our description for the lost? What can the public do to help ensure this person is found?

After observing other missing person cases, the actions of THIS LE, is NOT at all consistent with other missing person cases IMO.

So, where does that leave us? Or better yet, where does that leave Suzanne?

If abduction, where are the press conferences with pleas from family and LE, along with some type of description? I know BM offered a reward, once, and not a word since?

If lost or missing, who is looking? Where is our description for the lost? What can the public do to help ensure this person is found?

After observing other missing person cases, the actions of THIS LE, is NOT at all consistent with other missing person cases IMO.

Sadly your words sums it up

More at link:

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

(Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert) "Bertram said a firefighter in his crew was the first to alert him to Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, in an early morning phone call on Monday, May 11. According to the fire chief, that firefighter said in the initial call that authorities had found Suzanne’s bike. Bertram did not have any information about when or where Suzanne was last seen, or when she was last in contact with her husband. He also did not know precisely where the bike was found.

Asked if he was concerned about the possibility that Suzanne was abducted, Bertram said, “I think the family thinks that’s what happened to her.” He said he was not aware of any specific threat against Suzanne or her family at any time.

“Her biggest downfall is the fact that she’s so friendly,” Bertram said of Suzanne. “She’s one of those people that wouldn’t hesitate to talk to anyone, to help anyone.”

Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain.

Bertram also noted that the fire department is not working with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office or state and federal authorities on the search for Suzanne Morphew, but said that some firefighters had been volunteering their time to searchign for the missing woman. He acknowledged a possible disconnect between Morphew’s friends and family and law enforcement officers conducting the investigation.

“Everyone has their own interpretation” about the law enforcement response, he said."

In our prayers....

Last edited:
totally hypothetically, what if a "friend's" car was used? MOO.

If they had suspicions about that 'friend' that car would have been looked for on video surveillance as well.

If he stayed in a large business hotel, his comings and goings are going to be tracked. I wonder if he did.

If I was looking for an alibi for the weekend, I'd stay in a nice business hotel, where cameras capture the entrances/ exits and parking lots, and your keycards track you entering and leaving your room.

But that's not a good place to stay if you plan to sneak away in the middle of the night, unnoticed.

It would be interesting to see where he stayed. If he stayed with a friend or relative, it would be easier to sneak in and out, imo.

That's definitely Carpet IMO
It matches the same color and frizz that I have seen in the zillow images of the bedroom.
If you zoom in you can see it even more clearly IMO. No way that's a paper bag
I agree ... looks just like the carpet in one of the bedrooms.
The carpet in what I’m “assuming” to be the master based on attached bathroom looks ‘greenish’ in photos, might just be the light. It looks identical to one of the guest bedrooms, though, IMO.

Attachments

• 242753EA-1AC9-453C-BC4B-FA97BBA7524F.jpeg
    242753EA-1AC9-453C-BC4B-FA97BBA7524F.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 88
More at link:

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

(Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert) "Bertram said a firefighter in his crew was the first to alert him to Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, in an early morning phone call on Monday, May 11. According to the fire chief, that firefighter said in the initial call that authorities had found Suzanne’s bike. Bertram did not have any information about when or where Suzanne was last seen, or when she was last in contact with her husband. He also did not know precisely where the bike was found.

Asked if he was concerned about the possibility that Suzanne was abducted, Bertram said, “I think the family thinks that’s what happened to her.” He said he was not aware of any specific threat against Suzanne or her family at any time.

“Her biggest downfall is the fact that she’s so friendly,” Bertram said of Suzanne. “She’s one of those people that wouldn’t hesitate to talk to anyone, to help anyone.”

Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain.

Bertram also noted that the fire department is not working with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office or state and federal authorities on the search for Suzanne Morphew, but said that some firefighters had been volunteering their time to searchign for the missing woman. He acknowledged a possible disconnect between Morphew’s friends and family and law enforcement officers conducting the investigation.

“Everyone has their own interpretation” about the law enforcement response, he said."

"He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain."

BBM=Fascinating detail ^^^^.

Who's to say the girls didn't call Dad first?

Let's just say they did, he told them maybe she went for a bike ride or she told me she was going for a ride.
Further, he says wow your Mom should have been back by now. I'm worried, why don't you call JR and have her go check on your Mom.

Clean hands from over 160 miles away.

Of course I have no idea how it went down, just speculating ...

I like this thought..
I, too, figured they did prob call him...but since he was in training, wasn't really able to get ahold of him.

I’ve been following along, but rarely comment here. I just thought I’d throw these thoughts out there.

I have a very close relative who is not exactly favorable towards law enforcement. Were this my family in this scenario (and he was indeed innocent) I feel like his response would be very similar to BM. He would not be very cooperative because he would want to protect his personal rights, even though he loves his wife and would be devastated without her.

I kind of feel like the closest person to the victim/missing person is going to be harshly judged whether they speak up right away, stay silent, search all over, or lawyer up. Unless it is OBVIOUS they have a solid alibi, there’s always going to be suspicion about them, no matter how well or poorly they respond.

(But having said all that, I’m not trying to defend or cast blame on BM - just trying to share a different perspective.)

"He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain."

BBM=Fascinating detail ^^^^.
According to Church website, services are being conducted online pursuant to Covid-19. Did this alter the time SM would typically take a ride?

Grace Church services are being held online at 9:00am. There will not be any on-site services until further notice. View the livestream on our YouTube

I live in Denver and have followed this case from the very beginning but never posted, so please delete or let me know I need to delete if I am breaking any rules.

It has clearly been odd that with SO many of us wanting to help, LE doesn’t seem to want it and that most likely means they pretty much have the information they need. Maybe the “tip line” and reward are just to convince anyone who really knows who to blame to tattle.

I’ve never been on the “BM did it” train because it seems like leaving your wife would be a whole lot easier than killing her and dealing with taking your children’s mother away/ possibly getting caught, nevertheless on Mother's Day weekend...

IF he did it, how long do people even spend plotting a murder of a spouse they need to get away with? It does seem odd that he only made his instagram about 8 months ago and half of the posts are about how much he cares about his wife. Seems like he could have been setting his image up OR he could actually just be a loving husband/father as his bio states.

The interview with John Schmitz saying BM was aggressive/physical with the workers on past jobs has really been the only clear red flag for me. Still doesn’t mean he did it.

Regardless I don’t think the body would be anywhere near the house if it were him or really anyone else- too easy. BM could have done the crime and gone to Denver the same weekend. There is a whole lot of land between Salida and Denver she could have been taken to. A lot of land to hide things, animals to carry away the body, even wildfires are at peak this time of year that could erase evidence.

Either way, she reminds me of my own mother and my heart breaks for this family, including the husband because innocent until proven guilty. WS posts are just going in circles now and all we can do is wait and hope/pray there’s a big piece of info we haven’t been given that hints she could still be alive somewhere. Breaks my heart there are such horrible people out there.

So we know, per LE, that they found personal items of SM's near the highway

We believe (via several reports) that her bike was found, at a different location (possibly a bridge). The bike may have been staged.

We know the the Morphew residence has been searched and evidence of some kind obtained. It may be considered a crime scene.

It's entirely possible that given the absence of facts available in this case, I'm simply overthinking it here, but I'm having a hard time construing a logical scenario where the bike is staged and home is a crime scene. If someone is going to stage the bike - you do that to "sell" a different story. Why then "stage" personal items in a different location? What story does that possibly tell?

JMO, if the bike is staged, then I think the location where the personal items were found is a more likely crime scene (accident, abduction?). Maybe the items at the house are simply relevant to who the perpetrator was (receipts, fingerprints, etc.)? If the bike isn't staged, then it would seem it's the likely crime scene, and possibly the items were discarded by the perp or by SM. If the house is a crime scene, then I think we have some misinformation on the bike, because why commit a crime in the house, put the bike in one location and personal items in another? If you are going to take the time, and, more importantly the risk, of staging a crime scene - you are going to try to make sure it tells the story you want to tell. MOO.

More at link:

Hmmmmm He also said they had no training sessions. I wonder if there any other companies that had training sessions. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. MOO

O/T. Parsing Words & Sentences? Journalists, Sleuthers?
Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that WS members think about the verbiage in articles WAY more than the journalists who wrote them. I'm not saying I disagree with your thoughts on "reportedly," but just sharing a random thought I have about our interpretations of the data we get to discuss.
@NervousNellie :) A good observation. Agreeing w you mostly but not 100%.

Often a journo works under tight deadlines. Depending on experience re a particular subject matter, may/may not draw distinctions re certain words or phrases. Ex: 'killing' vs. 'murder in first degree' vs 'homicide,' etc.
Some sleuthers have the luxury of time and experience, esp'ly re crim cases, to reflect on ^ which may be mere nuances to non-sleuthers. Me? Guilty of splitting a lottttta hair.
But our analysis may be quite primitive when compared to atty's dissecting words & phrases down to the molecular level in ct filings, depositions, examining/cross-exam'ing witnesses on the stand, etc.
Ex: in another case, a journo described a fundraiser where "all proceeds will be paid to Victoria Victim" and in same story, states "100% of profits from teeshirt sales go to Victoria."
Okay, back on missing person topic. jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members