Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not certain that is the item found. I don't think anyone really knows, but it is alleged to be the item (by PE?).

What I find difficult to wrap my head around is IF that is the item, it's pretty coincidental that the item BM was asking about and looking for in the dumpster was also her helmet. I have to wonder if LE didn't find out from that same Poncha Market manager about BM looking for that item, and then allege to the public that it was the helmet, to cause some discomfort for the (alleged) POI.

JMO.
Iirc.
In one of his interviews while he was in Salida for the last search, AM stated that the personal item that LE found was the helmet and that it was found closer to the bike than it was originally reported. It was along the hwy 50 embankment near the bike.

I must assume this is the same item that AM referred to when he was describing that his search group missed it, after walking within close proximity, during a search in May, in an area that had already been searched by LE. He also described one member of the party breaking off from the group during that search. Although he was worried about possible shinanigans, he did go on to say that the terrain was rough, they could have missed it.
Hope this helps.
Moo

Both JP and MG said, in separate interviews, that BM left tools. Both insisted they were the wrong tools for the job.

JP said they never went to the job at all, because the tools were wrong and the supplies never showed up.

MG said Barry had done "about a half hour's work" on the job.

How did the tools function for Barry to do work, but not for JP and MG?

How did JP know the materials weren't delivered to the job when he said he was never at the job because BM left the wrong tools?

IMO

I've had similar questions, and I think part of the problem is just honestly, sloppy reporting.

The way I understood it, was that BM just left a pile of tools in a hotel laundry cart - random things they didn't even need for the job - and possibly not enough of the right tools needed for the job (that part isn't exactly clear - earlier reports said no tools for the job but I'm thinking it might have been no materials for the job, and that just got mixed up somehow).

According to MG, she's worked with BM for quite some time, and if this stood out to her as bizarre, then that sounds pretty credible to me. She knows what a jobsite with BM looks like, and clearly, this wasn't it, by a long shot.

Then, when they did get to the actual jobsite, the materials they needed to do the job, weren't there and were never delivered. We don't know what tools BM used at the site, just that according to MG, whatever he did there could have been done in less than 30 minutes.

We don't even know if he needed any tools for what he did, because MG didn't elaborate.

jmo

Iirc.
In one of his interviews while he was in Salida for the last search, AM stated that the personal item that LE found was the helmet and that it was found closer to the bike than it was originally reported. It was along the hwy 50 embankment near the bike.

I must assume this is the same item that AM referred to when he was describing that his search group missed it, after walking within close proximity, during a search in May, in an area that had already been searched by LE. He also described one member of the party breaking off from the group during that search. Although he was worried about possible shinanigans, he did go on to say that the terrain was rough, they could have missed it.
Hope this helps.
Moo
I really don’t think they would have missed a blue bike helmet. The whole story about BN looking for the helmet in the dumpster gives me pause. Seems like it may have been retrieved and planted. Idk. Moo.

The thing that's always bothered me about the personal item found (helmet or not) is its location.

The only reason it could be there is to support the abduction theory, whether staged or not. It does not fit with any other scenario.

Looking at the marker on the map at PE's story page, it seems to me that its placement only supports the item being tossed out of a vehicle traveling west but it's too far east (in relation to the 225 intersection) for a vehicle emerging from 225 and heading west. I don't know if that makes sense. It looks to me as if it was tossed right before the vehicle made a left turn from 50 into 225 which, if it's to support an abduction narrative, would be before they could have met with Suzanne where her bike was thrown.

link to story map Suzanne Moorman Morphew

MOO the PE item found map location if accurate, seems too far from the road and in the brush to have been thrown from a vehicle.
Especially anything lighter like a helmet.
I think any assailant would inuitively avoid flinging an item from a vehicle there, other than a phone, on the chance it would get hung up on the tree or brush in plain view.

Standing at roadside a throwing is plausible.

Last edited:
The DW actually had a conversation with both BM and SM years before they moved out to CO. This was their plan, to eventually retire out there. Per her, they both seemed genuinely excited about it (SM wasn't a hunter, but did enjoy the outdoors). This would have been before her 2nd bout with cancer. I think you are right, BM does what BM wants, but he at least (at one time) had her convinced this would be a good move. MOO, JMO.
I really appreciate it when you weigh in @Hoosierfan72! Speculation can grow like a snowball rolling down hill, and it helps to have opinions from people with actual facts. It makes sense to me that SM had bought in to the move and was looking forward to living in their spacious home in such a beautiful setting. And that the decision was made to move before her cancer returned.

Last edited:
I really don’t think they would have missed a blue bike helmet. The whole story about BN looking for the helmet in the dumpster gives me pause. Seems like it may have been retrieved and planted. Idk. Moo.
First:
I agree, maybe if it was painted camo colors, but not a bright teal blue helmet. It seemed to really bother AM that both his search group and LE's search group had missed it.
Tuesday May 12. We have BM digging in the trash at Poncha Springs store after hours???At a time when people are rallied around him in the search effort, he peels off to do what??? Dig in a trash can??? Maybe he did stash it there after he got rid of the bike. He's not making very smart moves that weekend.

He may have heard someone during the search speculating that they hoped to find her helmet. One thing's sure, the helmet was on his mind, as that's what pops out of his mouth when he is asked what he is doing.

Wednesday May 13, AM's group re-search the area, do not see the helmet, one searcher leaves the group perhaps suspiciously.

Thursday May 14, LE find the helmet tossed up hwy 50 embankment near the bike.

Another thought. If this is what happened, perhaps the store owner has turned over the video of BM playing in the trash can twice to LE. Small town, they more than likely knew Suzanne was missing and that BM digging in their trash was hinky. They don't have to tell the public if they did that. There may even be good reasons to deny that they did. Or they could simply say that LE did not ask for the video, (because LE didn't need to ask for what they already had.)

Second:
This person that left AM's search group on Tuesday would need a really good reason to get involved in planting evidence. What could BM say that would convince someone to do that? I can't think of any scenerio that makes that a probability.
All speculation.
Moo

I've had to bust my *advertiser censored* twice as hard as all my male co-workers to prove my worth as an equal and prove that I'm just one of the guys and show that I'm not there to sleep w any of them! I work in most of the trades and am attractive and generally younger than the person paying me. I don't sleep w them. I don't blackmail them. If I find out they expect that or they dont tell the SO's they work w a female I leave. And I'm always the best most loyal and hardest worker on every crew I've been on because of these kind of assumptions. 50% of my work is as a contractor w Lowes and its always an advantage to have a female working in family homes. They are more comfortable having a female around and like my perspective. The other 50% of my work is everything from framing to drywall to plumbing, electric and paint. There's very little I haven't done.
Motown as well. I'm starting a huge home renovation in Birmingham next week.
I don't know what MG's motivations are in doing that type of work I just know that I strive to be an asset and hope she does as well cause its hard enough out there without the hassle of dealing w these stereotypical thoughts of females in the trades.
I am giving this ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤! Thank you, yes it is extremely hard for women in male dominated fields. I too have worked construction,industrial,ranch and farm. I had boss tell me once he loved to hire women, because they always worked hard and were detailed oriented. MOO

Around the jobsites I am just one of the guys. The men get used to working with you to them your just another coworker.

I've had similar questions, and I think part of the problem is just honestly, sloppy reporting.

The way I understood it, was that BM just left a pile of tools in a hotel laundry cart - random things they didn't even need for the job - and possibly not enough of the right tools needed for the job (that part isn't exactly clear - earlier reports said no tools for the job but I'm thinking it might have been no materials for the job, and that just got mixed up somehow).

According to MG, she's worked with BM for quite some time, and if this stood out to her as bizarre, then that sounds pretty credible to me. She knows what a jobsite with BM looks like, and clearly, this wasn't it, by a long shot.

Then, when they did get to the actual jobsite, the materials they needed to do the job, weren't there and were never delivered. We don't know what tools BM used at the site, just that according to MG, whatever he did there could have been done in less than 30 minutes.

We don't even know if he needed any tools for what he did, because MG didn't elaborate.

jmo
I wish we knew what he actually did, and IMO he had the a bobcat with him, unless we know for sure he did not. What he did in Broomfield has always bothered me and a place I hope LE examined with a fine tooth comb.

Last edited:
I wish we knew what he actually did, and IMO he had the a bobcat with him, unless we know for sure he did not.
Yes to this 1000 times over. I also wish we could nail him down at that jobsite running equipment during the night too. The night the neighbor lady heard the equipment running, and what night that actually happened.

BBM

How were they expected to do the job when BM, who allegedly went there to set up the job in the first place, didn't leave the correct tools? Were they supposed to pop over to the local Home Depot and get the right tools on their own dime? Why was he there in Broomfield if he didn't set up the job?

Both JP and MG said, in separate interviews, that BM left tools. Both insisted they were the wrong tools for the job.

JP said they never went to the job at all, because the tools were wrong and the supplies never showed up.

MG said Barry had done "about a half hour's work" on the job.

How did the tools function for Barry to do work, but not for JP and MG?

How did JP know the materials weren't delivered to the job when he said he was never at the job because BM left the wrong tools?

IMO

I think we need to keep in mind the wide range of meanings that can apply to the word "tools".

It sounds like what BM left in the hotel room was "whatever was in the back of his truck" (as I think JP said). That sounds like shovels, hoes, picks, trowels, etc.

The kind of "tool" they might be unable to work on a wall job without, sounds more like, for example, a laser level, an expensive item and one they can't provide themselves or work around not having.

IMO

Some questions I've been mulling....

Was Poncha Market the ONLY location he was caught playing Search & Find (or Hide & Duck)?

Was he, in fact, searching for a helmet or was that the first thing that came to mind when he was caught/questioned?

It's really a very strange place to look for one's wife. Same for an artifact. Why there? Lion sometimes, after big prey, needs sammich? Might've swung by, dropped trash off? Abductor put it there?

Seems curious to me that, of Suzanne, only two items seem to have been recovered. Her bike. And potentially her helmet. And he should be looking for the only other item, yet to be found? Did he have reason to believe/know it MIGHT be in that trash? Surely he knew if he happened to find it, it would raise eyebrows, making him look even more guilty.

So.... was he actually looking for something else? Or hiding/discarding something, in the style of F. Dulos? Might he have recovered the helmet from that same trash later, only to toss it onto the hillside where it was later found? Did he recover it from a different trash can? All to further his abduction story?

There's something fishy about that trash receptacle. And his interest in it.

While he was focused on that, everybody else was searching for HIS WIFE.

Priorities.

JMO

My thoughts about the Poncha market trash bin -- IIRC he was there an hour after closing, so didn't expect to be seen. I think the 'looking for helmet' was just a story, what came to mind on the spur of the moment. I think he had no intention of asking the store to post a flyer or to look for the items on his list, but that all got made up on the spot when he needed to explain what he was supposedly doing there.

What I suspect he might have ACTUALLY been looking for was a receipt, tossed there by himself (or by SM -- is there any chance this market is also the sandwich shop where they were seen?).

If BM/SM had been there recently and tossed a receipt, or a coffee cup/tray with either of their names on it, and later realized that evidence conflicted with the timing of whatever alibi he claimed, I could see him trying to retrieve it.

I don't think any direct evidence (ie jewelry, her helmet or other items) were put in the trash there, as that just doesn't make sense to me. But a receipt that shows his alibi to be false, yes indeed.

IMO JMO MOO

It seems to me that if the bike helmet was in the trash, it would have been noticed by someone due to the size and color, unless it was obviously broken and unusable. Maybe her biking clothes were concealed in a bag and deposited in the trash on his way out of town Sunday and he was checking to see if the trash had been emptied. I wonder if they looked back at their CCTV footage for the 9th and 10th?

ETA: Maybe the "list" was a feeble attempt at breadcrumbing what evidence is out there to be found.

MOO

Last edited:
I think they moved to Colorado because Barry loves hunting, and that house and land provided him the perfect place with which to do that.

He didn’t give a damn about what Suzanne wanted.

I think where the manipulation may have come in, is convincing Suzanne to move there in the first place.

I totally agree.

We know they vacationed to areas like that prior to moving and here is the thing. Whenever you go on vacation to a certain exotic place that seems wonderful, what you dont realize until you really start to think through things is that the place you are visiting may be wonderful to visit and stay a little while, but its an entirely different thing when actually moving there.

Like going on a nice Florida beach vacation. Its wonderful. But do you really want to live where it is pretty hot most of the time, large flying Palmetto bugs that scare the begeezus out of you, alligators commonly seen in the waters, etc. It becomes an entirely different set of considerations and may not seem so great if you have to live there.

Same for places with large "real mountains" as I call them in Colorado. Huge real mountains with wilderness all around. A relatively cold climate with a short summer season, lots of snowfalls, and so on and so forth. When actually living there, it sometimes is not so welcoming to certain people.

So I do agree that the choice to move there was mainly his and not hers. I think those two years were enough for her there and I suspect she did not enjoy it there anymore. Combine that with whatever may have happened in their relationship, and I feel she wanted out of there.
All JMO of course.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if the bike helmet was in the trash, it would have been noticed by someone due to the size and color, unless it was obviously broken and unusable. Maybe her biking clothes were concealed in a bag and deposited in the trash on his way out of town Sunday and he was checking to see if the trash had been emptied. I wonder if they looked back at their CCTV footage for the 9th and 10th?

MOO
IDK, but I bet they did, especially after he told them that his wife was missing. They seemed to think that his explanation was fishy.
Moo

FBI agents are seen investigating plot of land owned by Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew's husband | Daily Mail Online

Here is a really lengthy article by Daily Mail talking about the dig at the other property site and some of the things that turned up during the AM search for Suzanne. Am I correct in remembering that
Yes to this 1000 times over. I also wish we could nail him down at that jobsite running equipment during the night too. The night the neighbor lady heard the equipment running, and what night that actually happened.
Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report
According to the article by Crime Online the neighbor reported hearing the equipment running on the night of the 9th the day before Suzanne was reported missing. I wish that neighbor had gone out to investigate what exactly was going on over there at that site. Sometimes being a nosey neighbor pays off she might have seen something that could have helped in the search for Suzanne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018