Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they are looking for a phone. It was mentioned a while back that she did not take her phone. That sounds like they probably found the phone at home.
That’s what I “assumed” too ... but I can’t find source for that belief. I’m staying OFF all SM so I don’t infect my memories with stuff that isn’t allowed, but that doesn’t stop me from assuming things after I read MSM articles! :rolleyes:

I have a friend with very slow growing but incurable cancer. She is expected to live a relatively normal span but requires periodic treatment. She was encouraged to familiarize herself with Several different facilities before choosing where to be treated. She had the flexibility as long as all her doctors conferred and planned treatment together. I don’t see it as a red flag if Suzanne moves during the course of treatment. Maybe she wanted to begin life in CO as soon as she could; cancer tends to inspire people to follow their dreams.

I wonder if she was as pleased as she said she was to move to a lonely ,isolated house miles away from her family and friends and medical staff who knew her well.

Last edited:
"...and probably questioned every sex offender in the county."

That is going to be quite a chore since with Covid 19 prisons are letting more and more offenders out every day.
Something to remember with each new case.
Sadly enough.

It’s unfathomable because there’s a burn ban in effect in their county and someone would have immediately reported smoke. It’s wildfire country around there and fire risk is high right now.
HA !! Burn bans mean nothing to some of the people where I live.
Even when it is posted over and over and over on county and township SM and our little town's FB page, some were still burning away.
However, given that BM is a firefighter, I would think he would adhere to the burning regulations. JMO

I would think that the majority of donors to the***account are friends or family. They want Suzanne found & I would assume they are helping cover expenses of family that are there to support the girls, as well as BM. Is it likely that certain bank accounts may have been frozen?
@Bgky4 :) bbm Nope, unless investigation re SM disppearance is covering crimes faaaaar beyond possible harm/injury to SM. imo

Instant freeze of financial a/cs ^ happens on every other episode (ok, <--- an exaggeration) of Law & Order & movies. Real life, rarely.

Last edited:

That is going to be quite a chore since with Covid 19 prisons are letting more and more offenders out every day.
Sadly enough.
Prisons are having a hard time enforcing social distancing measures because of overcrowding. They are NOT indiscriminately releasing violent offenders such as rapists, only those who are in for minor infractions (drugs, for e.g.), or parole violations.

I totally agree. Just because a person owns several buildings, houses or businesses which have a combined net worth in de millions , that person is not necessarily having large sums of liquid cash laying around.
But if debts are too high in ratio to COH can you get a 1.7m mortgage on new home? My daughter used to talk about this stuff all the time, when she worked in mortgage ... but I could be remembering incorrectly or things have changed. I probably didn’t even say what I’m trying to say correctly ...

Didn’t I read somewhere that she didn’t take her phone biking, which led me to believe her phone was left at home ... I know I asked the question, why wasn’t she wearing Apple Watch or FitBit? I thought all runners and bikers wore tracking devices, rather than taking their phone with them, for both safety and monitoring workouts, HR etc.
MOO but I don't think she went biking

Sadly enough.

Good point. I did read that sex offenders are failing to register quickly - and I think it may have been a Colorado paper. That's certainly occurring here in CA.

However, we're not letting out violent sex offenders. The only sex offenders we're letting out, currently, in my county are ones within 60 days of release anyway, with the ones closest to release getting out first (and now they've stopped doing it, as we have no big flood of CoVid in our jails here - the prisons are one county over in either direction).

I'm still extremely concerned about a bicycle wreck of some type as the bicycle was found in a ravine.
I was too initially. It reminded me of jogger Suzanne Eaton in Greece who was hit by car intentionally to neutralize her then perp took her to cave, raped then murdered her. However LE initially repeatedly searched areas near where she would’ve ridden looking for an injured body or animal attack. Sadly it seems unlikely she was hit and got lost in the area. Perhaps someone hit her then abducted her or if someone may have murdered her elsewhere and As has been discussed, used the bike as a decoy throwing it into the ravine (which I’ve never seen LE confirm). In that case fingerprints would be interesting - none at all or Suzannes smudged by the perps rubber gloves. Still a bit suspicious about the RV park with folks coming and going. I believe it was stated LE has checked that out.

I have a friend with very slow growing but incurable cancer. She is expected to live a relatively normal span but requires periodic treatment. She was encouraged to familiarize herself with Several different facilities before choosing where to be treated. She had the flexibility as long as all her doctors conferred and planned treatment together. I don’t see it as a red flag if Suzanne moves during the course of treatment. Maybe she wanted to begin life in CO as soon as she could; cancer tends to inspire people to follow their dreams.

I guess the only reason it stood out to me was the comment in the article from the unnamed Indiana source that said she wasn't doing well, at the time. (paraphrased)
I'm a cancer widow, and any time he wasn't "doing well" packing the house and moving would have been the last thing I would have done or even considered.
We did eventually move to another state, but that was after his oncologist in our home state conferred with the oncologist in the new state, and his entire treatment plan was in place.
I realize of course not all cancers and not all cancer treatments are the same, but even for a perfectly healthy person, moving is a major pain in the butt & loads of stress. Definitely not something I'd put a cancer patient through.

jmo

'Gimme' Refund? Beneficiaries?
@vaporlass :) sbm I understand what you're saying and think many donors would agree, but from Gimme site's administrative viewpoint, imo seems difficult, if not unworkable.
If/when donor asks for refund, how does Gimme know it's an acceptable reason for refund per Gimme's ToS? Maybe that donor incurred unexpected $1257 car repair and wants $1000 donation back? Or after giving, another donor decided her $100 should have been spent on her kids' school books & supplies? Or a donor's spouse learns of contrib and says, "You blew $50 on that and we haven't been out to dinner in 3 months? :mad: Get it back."
And what deadline would be placed on refunds? 24-hours? 72? A week? A month or more? What if the campaign reached its goal and organizer has withdrawn all $ and spent it? W Gimme's (new, hypothetical) refund ToS/policy, does Gimme refund all donors ^ requesting $? Which donor(s) are first in line, so to speak? Does Gimme handle these requests on a FIFO or LIFO basis?
Below: EDITED for clarification.
And Gimme's logistic nightmare could be exacerbated in some campaigns if it allows a change of beneficiries. Caveat: IIUC, they allow organizer to add a named beneficiary, who is then allowed to withdraw the $ from the available balance in the a/c, instead of the organizer withdrawing $ and spending it for the stated, intended uses.
Plus uncertainty for campaign organizers, if Gimme adopts new liberal refund policy/ToS. In first week the campaign organizer seeing $6000 donated of $10,000 goal & withdraws and uses it for intended purposes. Soooo if a Gimme provides refunds to several dozen donors requesting $4000 of refunds, who pays? IIUC, under actual policy of that site, if Gimme does, then it simply withholds the next collective series of donations to that campaign. So if/when another $4000 is given ($10,000 total) then the campaign ends up w $6000 in hands of organizer, because Gimme refunded $4000.

I could be wrong, but from years of considering the BIG PICTURE somewhat similar issues from a home office/corporate viewpoint w hundred of thousands of customers impacted, imo Gimme considers these points in determining ToS/policy.
W Gimme's business model, imo it cannot issue refunds the same way that, say, :)WalMart or other retailers allow ppl to return merchandise, virtually no questions asked. Money back, w a smile? :)
Well flip ... I never even considered most of that o_O Did he add beneficiary or change beneficiary?
I know the Gimme Fund is helpful for many people but I never really think about it until it’s set up for someone missing and invariably and unfortunately a family member is involved. I hate to see murderers get “insurance pay outs” too and they usually spend it all before they are locked up - leaving their children without parents or funds to help them. Why not put it in daughters name????

I am new to WS and find This group/page a refreshing and intelligent way of tracking a case that has me fascinated. Thank you to everyone that contributes and for the thoughtful and factual responses and posts.

My question related to the current FBI search. The specific area they have cut from the concrete. Why would they be so fastidious in sifting bucket by bucket of dirt to preserve possible evidence and then at the end of the day remove the tents and leave the site uncovered? What if it rained or myriad other possibilities, it could potentially disturb the site they seem to be so thoroughly investigating?

Well flip ... I never even considered most of that o_O Did he add beneficiary or change beneficiary?
I know the Gimme Fund is helpful for many people but I never really think about it until it’s set up for someone missing and invariably and unfortunately a family member is involved. I hate to see murderers get “insurance pay outs” too and they usually spend it all before they are locked up - leaving their children without parents or funds to help them. Why not put it in daughters name????

Because his daughters would not use it to benefit him!

Looking out the window hoping to see her, yet he doesn't have a cell phone and is communicating thru his friend? Guess he doesn't think she will call, but will drive by wherever it is he is staying o_O

She may yet be *driven* by wherever it is he is staying. But in an evidence truck.

If the Salida dig proves unsuccessful, maybe LE will look around for a road where there’s a firecamp, wells, a wireline operator, a safe house with a good vantage point, and state troopers in position?

Bike found in relation to a bridge, not a ravine:

"As reported by CBS Denver, Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle was recovered from a bridge close to her home, along with an additional “personal item.” Investigators have not revealed the nature of the personal item discovered, nor have they released any information about the condition of the missing mom’s bike."​

Mystery deepens over missing mom Suzanne Morphew-- as cops search her house and neighbors say NO ONE actually saw her on a bike

I'm not sure what kind of site that is, but it references CBS Denver when it says "As reported by CBS Denver, Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle was recovered from a bridge close to her home, along with an additional “personal item.”" but if you click that source, it actually does not say at all, where the bike was found. It doesn't mention a bridge at all.

Has the Sheriff's office ever actually confirmed where it was found?
(forgive me if they have, I can't seem to keep the rumor/gossip straight from the facts & what's been confirmed!)

'He’s going out, driving up the road, and trying to remember any suspicious vehicles that he’s seen,'he added.

Well if she was abducted while he was away at training what suspicious vehicles would he be searching for if he wasn’t even around? That’s a strange thing to do imo. I would think if I saw a suspicious looking vehicle at any time I would recall it and wouldn’t need to drive up and down a road. Just like that guy in one of the earlier news videos did. He recalled right away that he thought a car looked out of place near the trail. Jmo

According to the DailyMail article, police have his vehicle and phone - I assume then that he's borrowing someone's car? Probably doesn't mean anything, but caught my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biph