Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember any recent case with so little information after 2 weeks? No other family pleas, no friends coming forward, no leaks?

Cheryl Coker (Husband finally named as a suspect), Abbie Flynn (no updates at all), Sandra Crispo (LE silent but family giving interviews).

I find it usually happens when LE has evidence leading them in a direction where they don’t need the public’s help. That can be murder, suicide, accident. But not something where you need millions of eyes on the roads like in an Amber Alert.

That's very kind of you. I will think about it. I've just recovered from a very serious bout of COVID-19 - ill for 10 weeks in total, including pneumonia. I know I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still thoroughly wiped out (and can't yet climb one flight of stairs without having to sit down to get my breath back). Ihave COVID antibodies whizzing around my body, which is great, and I'm packing to go look after a close relative who is dying and doesn't want palliative care from the local hospice. My life priorities have turned upside down and I don't ever like committing to something I can't carry through. It suits me to be an occasional lay-person right now.
Love and respect to all those who are suffering from COVID-19, and for their loved ones too. Sorry to go off-piste!
It sure sounds like you are extremely lucky. I'm glad you're well on the road to recovery and feeling better. My DH has recovered as well from the virus. Not infected or ill nearly as long as you, but still a rough time for him and those of us caring for him and trying to avoid catching it. I appreciate your off-piste message of concern.

WS is a diversion for many (def for me) with its way to delve into someone else's mystery (and trying to solve by piecing things together as best we can), a way to be helpful and use one's brain at the same time.

It sounds like you have some valuable professional tools to add here to Suzanne's case. I found your insight on the BLM's FB posted video to be a unique way to observe it. Getting verified would give you a catchy "verified title" under you user name.

Welcome.

It was mentioned Barry's mother is out there and then there is the friend who also put up 100K. If they suspected Barry in the least they would never do this. How many people have a friend that puts up 100K!
100k for the SAFE return of a loved one does not seem like too much. This can easily be recouped through a go fund me.... imo

There was a lot of chatter from the nephew early on. He kept begging people to ask what the condition of the bike was when it was found. Then suddenly he is silent

My biggest surprise of the day was learning that Suzanne's family supposedly didn't even know who TN is ... the family spokesperson about their daughter's disappearance and possible/probable murder.

There was a lot of chatter from the nephew early on. He kept begging people to ask what the condition of the bike was when it was found. Then suddenly he is silent
I speculate that he may have been convinced at that time that a "crash" had occurred and wanted that narrative advanced. That matches the information in the email sent to the Indiana church. MOO

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.

well there you are!

I actually am curious about when the CBI stepped in. I saw lots of articles on the FBI involvement earlier but am a bit more fuzzy about the CBI timeline.

So, I tried a little experiment with Barry's video:

First, I watched it with the sound muted.
Then, I listened to it with my eyes closed.

It was an interesting exercise.

One thing I noticed when I was watching sans sound is that, as several other posters have pointed out, he shook his head side to side in a negative motion almost the entire time.

The other thing I noticed with just visual sensory input was that BM's facial expression did not alter whatsoever…and by that I mean, not even a flicker.

His forehead is heavily furrowed, and watching his face, the lines/wrinkles in his forehead remained completely frozen throughout. 0 facial movement.
That struck me as unusual.
To me, it indicated he was aware of and controlling his facial expressions.

When I switched sensory inputs to auditory and listened to him with my eyes closed, a specific sentence caused my ears to perk up:

"We love you. We miss you. Your daughters need you."

What I expected to hear was, "We love you. We miss you. Our daughters need you."

He did not say, "OUR daughters need you," which would have been in keeping with his previous plural "We" statements.

He switched it to the singular, "Your" when talking about the girls.

My ears picked up that discrepancy immediately.

I think it was distancing language, and that he was unconsciously distancing himself from his daughters in that moment, because he knows how much pain they're experiencing, and does not want to acknowledge the reasons for their pain.

Then again, as Freud famously said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Maybe he's just a crappy grammarian.

JMO.

If you can bring yourself to watch it again, note the points at which he starts double-blinking. There are at least two discrete periods of rapid double-blinking. Note what he's talking about during those 2 or 3 occasions.

Well true. For similar reasons I would avoid Badger's Drift (cant do anything scarier here I'm afraid).

But if it is the norm, why was it raised locally - should be a constant, not a talking point?

Mountain lions are native to Colorado, but in general they are very shy and avoid human contact. It is not that they are afraid, but the generally obnoxious smells of motor fumes, the strange loud noises, and the bizarre activities of a massive constantly moving human population are just experiences that they seem to want to avoid. Could one attack a lone woman on a bicycle? Sure! Easy-peasy. Has one done it in Colorado in the last umpteen years? I'm not aware of an attack. IMO

well there you are!

I actually am curious about when the CBI stepped in. I saw lots of articles on the FBI involvement earlier but am a bit more fuzzy about the CBI timeline.
My guess would be the CBI was called in first, and they requested the assistance of the FBI. I would like some clarification myself.

Do we know when her bike was found in relation to the above?

Bike was found Sunday evening, IIRC, so prior to the reward being offered.

Having said that, I don't think LE has ever actually confirmed her bike was found...I think it was TN who released that info.

Anybody have any quick links about the bike being found?

JMO.

Do we know when her bike was found in relation to the above?

Sorry to quote self, but what I was getting at there is IF the email about a mountain lion attack was from BM (or from someone BM had related that to), that attack may have been his first inclination based on believing she went for a bike ride. He may have thought that until the bike was found and LE quickly ruled out mountain lion attack); then he came to believe she was kidnapped?

Depends on the timing between the email and his video.

I’ve seen it before in cases where they have a body, but this is unusual (from what I’ve seen) in a missing persons case.

If I ignore the fact that Suzanne is missing, then this all seems about right. That’s why I get the impression that this isn’t one big mystery to law enforcement.

At least in a general sense.

Welcome back, and I’m glad to return the Brady avatar to its rightful place. :)

Back to the SM case, the eerie silence reminds me a bit of the silence from Patrick Frazee when Kelsey was missing. She wasn’t even reported missing by him, though he had their infant in his care. He never appeared in media, nor did his family.

And we all know how that case turned out. :rolleyes:

If you can bring yourself to watch it again, note the points at which he starts double-blinking. There are at least two discrete periods of rapid double-blinking. Note what he's talking about during those 2 or 3 occasions.
Can you elaborate? I honestly don’t think I can watch it again. Thank you!!

I think there is one person responsible for her disappearance and LE is focusing their efforts in the right direction. I think LE may be having problems tracking some critical movements due to the spotty cell phone service in and around that area. MOO
Can a location be tracked if it’s a dead spot/no service/no pings?
LE will concentrate on the last ping prior to their being no service and the next ping when service resumed and they will plot in between, any other masts available for the triangulation of the ping and the mileage / square miles/feet/yards /metres etc that the cell tower mast covers and see what sort of area is in between.

I’ve seen it before in cases where they have a body, but this is unusual (from what I’ve seen) in a missing persons case.

If I ignore the fact that Suzanne is missing, then this all seems about right. That’s why I get the impression that this isn’t one big mystery to law enforcement.

At least in a general sense.
Does anyone remember any recent case with so little information after 2 weeks? No other family pleas, no friends coming forward, no leaks?
This is unusual in so very many ways IMO except that she’s missing. We don’t know when the last time she was seen and everything is silent
JmO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member