Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been said BM is very controlling. I sense that’s true. It makes me believe if he killed his wife and the pressure mounts, he will eventually admit it to LE.

I sense he has a personality that has fooled others a long time. I suspect he has quite a temper and that is the one thing he cannot always control. He senses the noose is tightening. If he is guilty, I believe he will confess.

My guess would be the CBI was called in first, and they requested the assistance of the FBI. I would like some clarification myself.
Both reported as joining May 14, possibly at same time day earlier than article posting.

HAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The Colorado Bureau of Investigation, FBI, 11th Judicial District, Salida Police Department and Fremont County Sheriff have joined the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office in launching an investigation into the disappearance of a Maysville area woman.

Posted at 12:05 AM, May 14, 2020
and last updated 10:27 AM, May 15, 2020

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, CBI, FBI now investigating disappearance of Maysville area woman

We, part of the public, absolutely don't know but a mere fraction of what exists in this case. That will continue to be true to a large extent. I opined yesterday there is often a phase in criminal cases when frustration and emotions run rampant, and anger, blame and condemnation of LE emerges. There have been times LE has been weak, but there's nothing in this case to indicate that. There is always a segment of case followers who feel absolutely entitled to know every bit of information and become incensed that LE is not telling them what they want to know.

Of course LE is focusing on the husband--they have their reasons. The intimate partner of a missing person is usually looked at closely and statistics have long shown a connection when a wife and mother suddenly goes missing. It's investigation 101. Watch any random Dateline episode and you'll see this very thing.

As I learned in many ways, common sense isn't really all that common. We humans want to see and experience and know. We live in a society of instant gratification, and if something isn't shown then it must not exist. So, if LE isn't sharing information it's because they don't have any info or evidence, and they don't have any info or evidence because they're incompetent, is how that logic goes. It's just one of the many vagaries of following a case.

Yes, we're guilty of wanting to watch that last too-long series of commercials before coming back for the big wrap-up when the clicking handcuffs are followed by a final walk out of the courtroom!

In this case I plan to take a long pause of satisfaction when we get that first stunning arrest warrant.

Welcome back, and I’m glad to return the Brady avatar to its rightful place. :)

Back to the SM case, the eerie silence reminds me a bit of the silence from Patrick Frazee when Kelsey was missing. She wasn’t even reported missing by him, though he had their infant in his care. He never appeared in media, nor did his family.

And we all know how that case turned out. :rolleyes:
Similarly, remember that first press conference?

The chief responded to a reporter who asked why PF wasn’t there “you’d have to ask him that.” It was at that moment I knew he was a suspect.

Similarly, the sheriff here said something to the effect of “he has been cooperative, and I hope he continues to do so.”

To me, that’s telling.

I think there is one person responsible for her disappearance and LE is focusing their efforts in the right direction. I think LE may be having problems tracking some critical movements due to the spotty cell phone service in and around that area. MOO
Can a location be tracked if it’s a dead spot/no service/no pings?
LE will concentrate on the last ping prior to their being no service and the next ping when service resumed and they will plot in between, any other masts available for the triangulation of the ping and the mileage / square miles/feet/yards /metres etc that the cell tower mast covers and see what sort of area is in between.

So, I tried a little experiment with Barry's video:

First, I watched it with the sound muted.
Then, I listened to it with my eyes closed.

It was an interesting exercise.

Excellent experiment, thank you for sharing that. I too noticed it when he said, "Your daughters need you." I was like woah!

Then again, when my father was still living and I would call my parents and my dad answered the phone, I'd say "it's your daughter." And he'd typically joke, "my daughter? are you sure I have a daughter?" Then when I asked him to give the phone to mom he'd always say as he handed her the phone, "it's your daughter." This was an ongoing thing over many years, his little shtick.

But in BM's case on that video I don't consider "your daughters" a normal speech pattern. I agree with you it was concerning.

Mountain lions aren't that rare in some parts of the state, even populated areas. People get used to living with them. I live in a suburban community not that far from Denver and we have several sightings a year. You might not want to leave your toddler or small dog alone in the yard, but it doesn't keep you from your routine activities, especially during daylight hours.
If a Mountain Lion or any other animal was involved there would be a distinct crime scene.

ETA - I think animal attacks were ruled out early in the investigation.

Last edited:
Also telling, IMO, is how brief the clip is. Perhaps a wise choice to call "cut" before the dry and unconvincing crying begins?

How many takes before the Director's Cut was released?
RSBM
Seriously, he should have given it at least one more go. But, really, it didn’t seem rehearsed at all, to me - Like that was the only take, IMO. Because the video starts almost at the same time he starts speaking. Very poorly done, IMO. Though I admit I found him believable. But I have a history of refusing to see what others seem to see fine. Always hoping I will be right for once.

I’m still following along, hoping for justice for Suzanne. Preferably sooner rather than later.

@MassGuy - glad to have you back! Lucky you - you missed the rumor-driven insanity recently. Ugh.

My biggest surprise of the day was learning that Suzanne's family supposedly didn't even know who TN is ... the family spokesperson about their daughter's disappearance and possible/probable murder.

Oh my goodness, if true, that's very disturbing. There were also early reports about TN being the person who helped BM produce the appeal video. That was a comment I read early on in the case, so just hearsay unless/until I can find the original source and post it.
This raises questions about TN's family tree. Is he from BM's side of the family. or SM's? And if he's from SM's side, how was it decided he'd be the family spokesperson? (If he's from BM's side I'd be even more keen to know the answer)

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> My posts are all there to see and they have mostly been about her being abducted, which I believe is what happened. Until I find out otherwise I stick by that and that is why I was pushing this. I do not want her to be stuck somewhere with someone and LE looking the other way ( think Jayme Closs) just focusing on BM. Look at post #366.

All MOO <modsnip: removed reference to removed post>
Good points!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very different personalities. Leticia Stauch manifestly has a severe personality disorder. You are wrong in your statement to say that we will never know what they are thinking. It's taken me 25 years medical training and as a principal research scientist in this field (having studied at Harvard and Cambridge) to gain this amount of expertise. To give you an example of the work I've done with a broad spectrum of clients and patients - from top security hospitals housing people who have committed the most heinous of crimes, through to first time offenders of serious crimes: in approximately 300 cases, my clinical assessment on first and second meeting has been correct 97% of the time, and not infrequently when police personnel have a very different view. One of the patients took his own life before assessment could be completed.
I have seen, diagnosed and treated quite literally thousands of patients. L Stauch has a highly disordered, manipulative personality. We used the first interview she gave with her back to the camera as a confidential medical teaching masterclass, exploring with postdoc medics doing psychiatry training, the extremes of personality traits.
Could you please get verified with your credentials? Then you won't have to put out your CV when giving your two bits.
Bonus: you will likely come across many WS-ers with very elite advanced degrees and years of expertise in their fields. They aren't in the verified category because their skills aren't relevant to a matter at hand. But they're out there!

Putting up a reward when you know what happened is a no-risk move! The “safe return” rewards always bug me. You know they’re not getting paid out weeks into an investigation. Put up a reward for “information that leads to an arrest” and I’m interested.

Fine tuning then ... it comes down to what he knew and when he knew it.
The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office has NEVER acknowledged having found the bicycle. In their press rflease of May 15, they did acknowledge having found "a personal item" (presumably in the initial organized search of the morning of May 12, but the bulletin is not specific).
chaffeesheriff.org/2020/05/15/may-15-update-on-search-for-suzanne-morphew/

Mountain lions are native to Colorado, but in general they are very shy and avoid human contact. It is not that they are afraid, but the generally obnoxious smells of motor fumes, the strange loud noises, and the bizarre activities of a massive constantly moving human population are just experiences that they seem to want to avoid. Could one attack a lone woman on a bicycle? Sure! Easy-peasy. Has one done it in Colorado in the last umpteen years? I'm not aware of an attack. IMO

Well, there was this case of the runner who was attacked by a mountain lion. But I don’t think that’s what happened in this case. Given that LE was digging up a concrete foundation.
Colorado man who killed mountain lion talks about strangling animal that attacked him

Oh my goodness, if true, that's very disturbing. There were also early reports about TN being the person who helped BM produce the appeal video. That was a comment I read early on in the case, so just hearsay unless/until I can find the original source and post it.
This raises questions about TN's family tree. Is he from BM's side of the family. or SM's? And if he's from SM's side, how was it decided he'd be the family spokesperson? (If he's from BM's side I'd be even more keen to know the answer)

To my knowledge TN is the nephew of BM and he said he felt close to SM, his aunt by marriage to his uncle. I don't think TN was ever made the spokesperson for the family or necessarily considered himself the spokesperson per se. He was the one who was willing to speak out in that first week, he set-up a FB page and was interviewed. He was clearly distraught and worried about his missing aunt.

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office has NEVER acknowledged having found the bicycle. In their press rflease of May 15, they did acknowledge having found "a personal item" (presumably in the initial organized search of the morning of May 12, but the bulletin is not specific).
chaffeesheriff.org/2020/05/15/may-15-update-on-search-for-suzanne-morphew/
Can we confirm that there was discussion of a recovered bike before May 12? I don’t want the bike to be the personal item. I know, I have to go back to the timeline and facts, media, no, discussion. It does help a lot.

Now I'm wondering if LE has Barry's DNA. In most jurisdictions, asking for DNA is not considered a violation of the right to remain silent. If Barry didn't give it, and instead lawyered up, I wonder what LE will do next?

I hate to see the two daughters be in the middle of this or asked to provide evidence. I'm sure they found Suzanne's DNA in the house in various places (hairbrush) but I wonder if Barry took his hair utensils with him to Colorado - and now has them where ever he is?

I know we have to wait to find out, I'm just thinking about what types of evidence LE might be interested in finding.
Could they not have fished DNA out of a trash can at the home? Let's see.... the dirty laundry bin, yep, hair brush, kitchen towel, faucets, toilet seat, dirty dishes, toothbrush...

On the topic of DNA, I just had a thought. If you're doing your "public plea speech" in private and then taping it, not only can it be rehearsed, but LE can't get DNA from spittle on the microphone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member