Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prisons are having a hard time enforcing social distancing measures because of overcrowding. They are NOT indiscriminately releasing violent offenders such as rapists, only those who are in for minor infractions (drugs, for e.g.), or parole violations.

Summit1964, Yesterday at 1:50 PMReport
#

While this is not a CV topic...the above quote needs a correction as...

This is absolutely not true. States all over the country are releasing really really bad guys over CV fears - who are re-offending and being sent back in or high probability of re-offending....Including here in Colorado.

Colorado inmate released on parole because of coronavirus arrested in fatal Denver shooting
Colorado inmate released on parole because of coronavirus arrested in fatal Denver shooting

Inmates charged with violent crimes poised for release due to COVID-19
Inmates charged with violent crimes poised for release due to COVID-19

Sex offender arrested days after being released from jail over coronavirus fears
Sex offender arrested days after being released from jail over coronavirus fears

.....so on and so forth.

Also, a thought occurred to me. If there were rumours locally of a lion, why didnt Suzanne know of them?

The thing is.... there's always a risk of a mountain lion out west, whether or not one has been seen in the area. It's just part of the package of being in even marginally wild spaces.
Driving down the mountain from a trailhead once, I had a large mountain lion leap across the road in front of me. Airborne. Incredible. And this was a VERY popular trailhead.
They're everywhere.

Do we know when BM got back from his Denver trip?
If he returned on Sunday evening, a few hours after the police had been notified she was missing, I would expect he’d have gone to the house. But I’ve seen it mentioned that he has not been in the house since he got back.
If police stopped him from returning to his own home, on the same evening she was reported missing - it seems as if they suspected him of something before they even spoke to him? MOO.
Can you imagine coming home from a trip after finding out your spouse has gone missing, and not being allowed in your own home?
Does anyone know if this is standard procedure, to prevent a spouse from entering their home, if they were away when the person went missing? Thanks.
That’s a really good question. Made me think.

Scott Peterson was supposedly away “fishing” when Laci went missing and he stayed in his home subscribing to playboy, etc, while search was on. I dont think he had to leave at all but could be wrong?

Fotis Dulos wasn’t living in the home Jennifer disappeared from, so that was why he wasn’t allowed there.

Patrick Frazee lived with his mom.

Beau Rothwell was allowed to stay in home even though Jennifer went missing...

So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there. o_O

Bloodhound Man-Trackers inc.
May 23 at 6:51 PM ·
Bloodhound Man-Trackers
Assisted Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of investigation and the Federal Bureau of investigation today. It is a great honor to assist these hard working, caring, dedicated law enforcement professionals, stay safe and well. A special thank you to K-9s Radar, Jynx and Carlene for your hard work.

My post links to their facebook page. Here's their 'about' comment. Beautiful dogs!

SrOIIjACERD.png

Mission
Man Tracking &
Human Decomposition Detection to help find the
Lost & Missing
and to help bring
Criminals to Justice.

They don't track women? Strange. Also interesting under the circumstances.

He will be distressed and exhausted. Whatever the facts are, and whether or not he's involved, those behaviours will still apply.

Personally speaking, being careful to take my medical hat off here, (I'm concerned that I'm here as a lay person; not an expert). It was not my impression that he's speaking to potential kidnappers. Time is of the essence in such cases, and kidnappers don't usually go silent for a week, leaving next of kin wondering whether the person is alive or dead. Yes, things might go silent for 48 hrs or so, while an abductor is making good their escape, putting physical distance between themselves and the victim's next of kin. Not working with the police to at least coordinate a reward and how to manage it in the first instance is a red flag. Even if the family subsequently insisted that police were not involved in the reward drop, it is highly unusual to not involve them at all. The family could be jeopardising the abductee's safety. BM will have a named police liaison- why leave such people out.
For what it's worth, I personally think the kidnapper appeal is a red herring. It could also be that BM is showing profound remorse for something that has happened in the couple's personal life. The wording is odd - I'd need to know more about his usual patterns of speech. What he said, and the order in which he said it, makes me uneasy. The content might be little more than diversion tactics.
Again, as a qualifier, if he was having an affair, and he genuinely doesn't know where Suzanne is, he could feel overwhelmed with guilt, which could affect his performance. That still doesn't explain why he marginalized the police; nor does it explain his over-emphasis on the abduction theory (which I think is contrived). What if she had left him: wouldn't it be more fitting to convey his love for her, say that they could work through things together if she came home? He defaults to abduction in the absence of evidence for same. That in itself is suspicious.

I noticed that BM used the pronoun "we" or "we'll" (3x) in the video. What significance does that have? My initial reaction was that he was using "we" to deflect or defend himself since he didn't say "I.". Also, maybe he was exposing the fact that he did not act alone. Do you have any thoughts that you can share?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, if true, that's very disturbing. There were also early reports about TN being the person who helped BM produce the appeal video. That was a comment I read early on in the case, so just hearsay unless/until I can find the original source and post it.
This raises questions about TN's family tree. Is he from BM's side of the family. or SM's? And if he's from SM's side, how was it decided he'd be the family spokesperson? (If he's from BM's side I'd be even more keen to know the answer)
Is he not Barry’s best or very close friend and that could possibly be the reason as to why SM family doesn’t know who he is or where he fits into this puzzle ....

That’s a really good question. Made me think.

Scott Peterson was supposedly away “fishing” when Laci went missing and he stayed in his home subscribing to playboy, etc, while search was on. I dont think he had to leave at all but could be wrong?

Peterson was "golfishing." He told some people he had been golfing and then told LE and others he went fishing. Peterson did have to leave the marital home in Modesto while LE served a search warrant and took control of the home. I don't remember how long they had possession of the house, but I don't think it was more than a few days, and very possibly less.

So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there. o_O

LE will maintain control of the home via search warrant as long as necessary to fully process and collect the evidence as specified in the search warrant. In cases where a bloody murder has taken place, LE/CSI techs could be processing the residence for a week or more. Anyone residing in the home or just an owner will not be allowed to be in the home until LE has completed their work and taken down the crime scene tape and released the home back to the owner.

You make a very valid point about the Jayme Closs case. The possibility of a complete stranger having first stalked her and then managed to secrete her away with only minutes to spare before the police turned up is concrete proof that it does happen. Abductors such as the young male in Jayme's case invariably take young females whom they then repeatedly sexually abuse. We hear of cases where females have been imprisoned for decades. But they are rare. They usually come to our attention when the female prisoner escapes. Some never escape.
In the Jayme Closs case, it was unknown who abducted her. There was much speculation on this forum that it was a boyfriend her parents didn't like.

If it is true, Suzanne's bicycle was found, it has to also be true she wasn't found with it. Anybody could have happened upon her riding the bike, knocked her off and took her. That is what happened to Sierah Joughin. I don't believe cases of women being abducted and abused are all that rare. What's rare is that they are able to escape. Sierah could not nor could Mollie Tibbets. Jayme did.

JMO

He did have to leave the marital home in Modesto while LE served a search warrant and took control of the home. I don't remember how long they had possession of the house, but it wasn't more than a few days or so.

LE will maintain control of the home via search warrant as long as necessary to fully process and collect the evidence as specified in the search warrant. In cases where a bloody murder has taken place, LE/CSI techs could be processing the residence for a week or more.
Yes, I understand that, but I’m talking about before and after the search. From what I’ve read, BM hasn’t been back at the home at all, but maybe I’ve read incorrect info? :rolleyes:

There are photos of him in the Daily Mail (two photos - wearing same sunglasses and short sleeve t-shirt), one behind an SUV, and the other next to the same vehicle - looks as though he has a foot on back of SUV. The captions and info relate to him leaving the home he shares with SM, at the request of LE, so they can conduct searches. The searches were conducted after he posted his appeal video, which suggests that he was back at the house after Suzanne went missing.
I've been very confused about those 2 photos and if that indeed means he was at the house after he was not supposed to be at the house. The photos were posted along with photos of the search and evidence being taken away from the residence. I have to assume the ones of him were taken earlier, when he was still permitted to be there. JMO

This article indicates her family does know who TN is and that he’s one of the reasons she was happy about moving to CO. ‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
My interpretation of the article is that *Suzanne* knew who TN was and that added to her comfort with the decision to move to CO, per her family. I didn’t get the sense that *her family* personally knew TN.

My understanding is that TN is a nephew of Barry, fond of Suzanne, and that he stepped up and spoke out. He may have not been asked to by Barry or the daughters. Just my opinion.

There are photos of him in the Daily Mail (two photos - wearing same sunglasses and short sleeve t-shirt), one behind an SUV, and the other next to the same vehicle - looks as though he has a foot on back of SUV. The captions and info relate to him leaving the home he shares with SM, at the request of LE, so they can conduct searches. The searches were conducted after he posted his appeal video, which suggests that he was back at the house after Suzanne went missing.

Respectfully, per the same article with the pictures you described, dated 20th of May, BM was not allowed in their home when he returned from Denver.

“But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.”

The article article refers to “the property,” which I interpreted as the property where he was staying. Not their home.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

There are no dates on the actual photos, so I'm not sure. According to MSM, BLM was out of town on the 10th. We don't know when he came back. There were drone views of tape around the house early on and an MSM story that said that BLM came back and found himself unable to go into the house, therefore necessitating that he stay at a friend's house.

That's what's in the media thread.

Then BLM and some of his friends organized a search, even though the Sheriff specifically asked firefighters not to aid in the search. The picture of BLM in his dropline9 t-shirt (or whatever that brand is) is from one of those searches. It's very likely BLM was no longer in the family by the time he taped his plea.

AFAIK, there's no clear timeline either way.

ETA: the post just above mine has the right info from the media thread - it's actually established that he never came home; which goes to my point about him trying to make it look as if he were home - with the South Arkansas River drainage behind him, a beautiful natural setting.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, if true, that's very disturbing. There were also early reports about TN being the person who helped BM produce the appeal video. That was a comment I read early on in the case, so just hearsay unless/until I can find the original source and post it.
This raises questions about TN's family tree. Is he from BM's side of the family. or SM's? And if he's from SM's side, how was it decided he'd be the family spokesperson? (If he's from BM's side I'd be even more keen to know the answer)
This article indicates that SM’s family does not know TN, therefore it’s likely he is from the BM bloodline. They also weren’t aware of where M&M were, which also seemed unusual. Wouldn’t that be something you would ask in your first conversation?

My interpretation of the article is that *Suzanne* knew who TN was and that added to her comfort with the decision to move to CO, per her family. I didn’t get the sense that *her family* personally knew TN.

My understanding is that TN is a nephew of Barry, fond of Suzanne, and that he stepped up and spoke out. He may have not been asked to by Barry or the daughters. Just my opinion.

Right. There’s a huge difference between not knowing him personally, and not knowing who he is. Several posts here have suggested her family didn’t know who he is.

Do we know when BM got back from his Denver trip?
If he returned on Sunday evening, a few hours after the police had been notified she was missing, I would expect he’d have gone to the house. But I’ve seen it mentioned that he has not been in the house since he got back.
If police stopped him from returning to his own home, on the same evening she was reported missing - it seems as if they suspected him of something before they even spoke to him? MOO.
Can you imagine coming home from a trip after finding out your spouse has gone missing, and not being allowed in your own home?
Does anyone know if this is standard procedure, to prevent a spouse from entering their home, if they were away when the person went missing? Thanks.
BBM:

We don't know when BM returned from his purported "Denver trip."
Nor do we know exactly when LE secured the search warrant keeping family members from staying in the home.
All we know is that they obtained the warrant "early on" in the investigation:

Police confirm sealed search warrant for home of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew

SABBM:
On Wednesday evening, the Chaffee County Sherrif’s Office issued a news release addressing questions about a possible search of Morphew’s home. The statement confirmed that authorities had obtained a search warrant to “hold” the home, and indicated this may have taken place early in the investigation.

“To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court,” the statement reads in part.

“According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member