Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrStClements
Wow! Can’t like your post enough ...thank you for taking the time to offer your assessment.
I found it odd that he addressed SM but then switched to “anyone who might have you” ... I got the feeling I was being led to believe this was an abduction. The “will do whatever it takes” really bothers me because he’s done nothing beside make this video. Offering a reward for safe return, NO QUESTIONS ASKED makes me think he’s trying to get a piece of HIS property back, maybe a dog.
I think he didn’t speak to the kidnappers because he knows they don’t exist and I think he’s actually trying to avoid lying because he knows he will be judged. He is speaking to the “spirit” world in a sense.
I do think she intended to leave him and he could not allow “his” property to leave. I think his pain is real because she MADE him stop her from leaving him. He had to do it, in his mind, there was no other way. I’m sure he does wish he had her back and that in his mind he believed he loved her.
Your girls need you, indicates to me that his need of her made him feel weak, so he refuses to admit it.
In essence, he’s a fraud whose still trying to convince others that he’s a good guy even though he knows he is not.
It’s hard for me to watch.

Last edited:
Considering the source...
DM isn't always accurate when it comes to dates and facts, although their photos are top notch.
We don't know when BM returned from his trip and the photos could have been taken that day ?
One photo shows him standing behind a vehicle and there is a baby blue bicycle in the background. Just odd. IMO

Mountain lions are native to Colorado, but in general they are very shy and avoid human contact. It is not that they are afraid, but the generally obnoxious smells of motor fumes, the strange loud noises, and the bizarre activities of a massive constantly moving human population are just experiences that they seem to want to avoid. Could one attack a lone woman on a bicycle? Sure! Easy-peasy. Has one done it in Colorado in the last umpteen years? I'm not aware of an attack. IMO

I don’t think for a moment it happened in this case, but I was in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago working on a book and a dancer was attacked and killed during a run. There had been other attacks also in that time frame in the region.

Again, I’m pretty confident that the animal being sought in this case is both more local and more dangerous to people — and specifically to SM — but it’s an abiding source of caution for us and makes something useful to throw at the wall, I suspect, in a case where a lone, petite woman said to be on a bike has disappeared. IMO.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>I had the idea this particular volunteer fire-person was a newbie, but wasn't sure how to go about articulating.
Sometimes volunteer fire departments have half the town as volunteers. This is about neighborliness, not necessarily experience. Maybe the Morphew's area is like this, where "everyone" is associated with the fire department.
From my experience also:
Wildlife firefighting and SAR are life and death activities. You're not "experienced" or really "legit" until you've had a VAST amount of experience, from a layman's point of view. Plus, those teams are highly stratified, as far as I know. Until you've been out there ALOT your job is to follow instructions, and they are very unlikely to be glamorous.
Also, there's no information that BM has a whole lot of any experience in the outdoors of the kind we see in Colorado. This is not something you get from a season or two in the area or from going hunting for the day with your buddies. You don't get this experience in Indiana. You don't get it from a map. It's the kind of thing where it takes lore handed down from very experienced folks to get you up to snuff, a prodigious number of skills (and sometimes training like Wilderness First Responder), and you have to have been through a fair number of inadvertent stressful experiences in the backcountry.
We're not talking "weekend warriors" in any of this. Sometimes enthusiasts are labeled "experienced" when they pretty much only have a pinky toe in the activity. I often cringe when SAR goes out after an "experienced" hiker who was inappropriately dressed, in threatening weather, and with inappropriate supplies, out for a "quick hike".
As much as I totally agree with you what are the odds BM has an Eagle Scout background? Does anyone know because he strikes me as someone who knows a lot about these types of things IMO

I guess not! :eek: I mean, I'd be a wreck, worried about my nieces and how they were doing, but every family is different.

The other day, BM's uncle gave an interview and it struck me he certainly didn't seem to know much about BM and SM, really. Just more that they weren't really all that close.

In this instance, we don't even know who this family member is, being quoted. Is it possible he or she is like BM's uncle and just doesn't really know a lot about their current lives in CO?

Just asking, but I do wonder if it's similar to the uncle situation.

Is that confirmed that the neighbor saw her riding her bike Sunday morning?
I haven’t read anything to indicate she was sighted riding her mountain bike Sunday morning. Just a thought, most of the homes in the mountain community of Salina are not close to each other. The size of the town is extremely small. If she had been seen by more than one person I believe LE would have reported it. What she was wearing that Sunday morning. It all very vague about where she was last seen riding.

Sure, they haven't told us much of anything, so we have to go with what we've got for a timeline through MSM unless LE tells us otherwise. No different than any other case where we have unknowns or info that isn't etched in stone. We have to glean what we can from whatever MSM is available and be open to adjustments as information is forthcoming from LE.

We have TN saying on Thursday that the bike was found on Sunday. So what time did the neighbour call LE? What time did LE arrive to start the search on that date in order for TN to state that her bike was found Sunday?

Neighbor called LE at 5:46pm
No idea what time they arrived.
No idea who found the bike, or what time it was found
TN says: "Sunday evening"

Lots of "no ideas" in this case.

That’s a really good question. Made me think.

Scott Peterson was supposedly away “fishing” when Laci went missing and he stayed in his home subscribing to playboy, etc, while search was on. I dont think he had to leave at all but could be wrong?

Fotis Dulos wasn’t living in the home Jennifer disappeared from, so that was why he wasn’t allowed there.

Patrick Frazee lived with his mom.

Beau Rothwell was allowed to stay in home even though Jennifer went missing...

So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there. o_O

Scott Peterson voluntarily allowed police to search his home the night Laci was reported missing. They found nothing. Kelsey Berreth's family allowed LE to search Kelsey's home and they found nothing. Do we know why BM isn't living in the marital home?

Do we know when BM got back from his Denver trip?
If he returned on Sunday evening, a few hours after the police had been notified she was missing, I would expect he’d have gone to the house. But I’ve seen it mentioned that he has not been in the house since he got back.
If police stopped him from returning to his own home, on the same evening she was reported missing - it seems as if they suspected him of something before they even spoke to him? MOO.
Can you imagine coming home from a trip after finding out your spouse has gone missing, and not being allowed in your own home?
Does anyone know if this is standard procedure, to prevent a spouse from entering their home, if they were away when the person went missing? Thanks.
No, we do not know if he even went to Denver. Moo

I hate to do this, I really do, but do you have a link for that tooth identification?
They did find a tooth but DNA was inconclusive as to the identity
Human tooth found near burn site on Kelsey Berreth murder suspect’s property, expert says

The unnamed relative of Suzanne thinks the girls are apart from their father and "under protection." I am very glad to hear that.
When I first read that, I thought it played right into BM’s suggested theme that this was retribution ... JMO. Plus, I don’t think he can face them so he has them somewhere else “protected” in case the bad guys come for them, too. Again, JMO.

Last edited:
I have been following since first post and as always I'm always amazed at the members here. I've wondered, and I know religion is not to be discussed and I am so grateful for that so will try to tread lightly. I was raised a Southern Baptist. They do frown greatly on drinking, smoking, galavanting (I don't know if this is even a real word just one I heard a lot growing up). If SM was a devout born-again Christian I'm sure she adhere to these beliefs. BM appears to me to be a man who would love the party life..money..status..physical appearance of himself, wife, etc. What fun would a sick wife who was not into any of the fake, shallow activities and would totally disapprove of, be? But a younger woman might believe his BS if he charmingly spewed it. All MOO and I could be totally wrong. Again, not to derail this thread towards religion, just an insight. Mods delete if this is too "religious" leaning, and to note...I have no idea why my font is now like this..I am wearing my glasses. :confused::confused:

Scott Peterson voluntarily allowed police to search his home the night Laci was reported missing. They found nothing. Kelsey Berreth's family allowed LE to search Kelsey's home and they found nothing. Do we know why BM isn't living in the marital home?
BBM:

Because he's not allowed to live there right now.

LE has placed a "hold" on the home.

They secured search warrants for the house early on, and they aren't letting family stay there.

JMO.

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake, but reviewing the list of agencies involved in search efforts for SM, something jumped out at me.

The list is pretty exhaustive in terms of Sheriff Spezze utilizing nearly all the available resources at his disposal.

I say nearly all, because there is one notable exception:

It does not appear as if LE has at any point enlisted the help of the local Fire Department.

In both the Kelsey Berreth and Gannon Stauch cases, we saw local fire departments assisting LE in their investigative and/or search efforts.

Not so in this case.

I suspect this was not an oversight on the sheriff's part.

Sheriff Spezze, I tip my hat to you, Sir.

The fact that I'm not even wearing a hat, notwithstanding.

Smart, smart decision.

JMO.
“It does not appear as if LE has at any point enlisted the help of the local Fire Department.”
You’re on your toes, aren’t you! I agree completely... could/would cause conflict later on and he knows it. This guy is super smart.

So we are getting vague clues about Suzanne and BLM. Suzanne is a "sweetheart," "a kind soul," and their marriage seemed happy to Suzanne's unnamed relative - but Barry "controlled everything" for a long time. Or almost everything.

I'm going to translate into the language I'm more used to using: BLM is the active, more dominant partner and Suzanne is more submissive, probably nurturant. IOW, a known type of relationship, one like my parents had, etc., etc.

While LE (including CBI and FBI) are focusing on several sites, the one thing that all the site have in common (that we know about) is that they are BLM's car (+phone), Suzanne and BLM's house (which is still off limits to him as far as we know), and at least one work site (possibly two) that he's been associated with.

So yes, while LE can go inside BLM's house and take out items with a warrant, in so doing, his life (and Suzanne's) is under scrutiny. There's no way around it. No one could conduct an investigation of someone's house and not at least notice things about that someone. Since we know they took something out of the house, then there was evidence there. It could just be a list of all the people in Suzanne's personal contact book - 0r BLM's. It could be credit card statements that support something that BLM has said (etc).

After the excursion into the Morphew home, LE then went on to other sites. The ones we know about have connections to BLM. Did they get that info from the house? Or, as reported, was it the homeowner at the search site (the concrete site) who called? I would certainly call in that situation, a lot of people would.

Some of us think LE has few ideas about what happened, others think LE has a good idea of what happened.

The unnamed relative of Suzanne thinks the girls are apart from their father and "under protection." I am very glad to hear that.

BBM. Pure gossip designed to cast the father in a very bad light. If the husband is indeed guilty, let him be convicted on real evidence, not gossip.

JMO

I'm going to answer this definitively:

NO.

That's not confirmed, and with good reason, too:

It's impossible for the neighbor to have seen SM riding her bike Sunday, because SM did not in fact ride her bike on Sunday.

JMO.
To be fair, that hasn't been established as a fact. Yet.
While I agree with you 100% that she did not go for a ride, it's still just opinion at this point.

That’s a really good question. Made me think.

Scott Peterson was supposedly away “fishing” when Laci went missing and he stayed in his home subscribing to playboy, etc, while search was on. I dont think he had to leave at all but could be wrong?

Fotis Dulos wasn’t living in the home Jennifer disappeared from, so that was why he wasn’t allowed there.

Patrick Frazee lived with his mom.

Beau Rothwell was allowed to stay in home even though Jennifer went missing...

So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there. o_O
If LE has taken evidence from the Morphew's home (and I believe some photos from DM suggest they have) and they see BM as a POI or suspect, I'd think they wouldn't want to give him access. Can you imagine what might ensue if he were to return to his home and find certain items missing, tampered with, etc ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member