Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I took it that he has his hands on his truck. The other vehicle is someone else's. On the other vehicle is a bike rack (there's a ski rack, too) that has 2 mountainbikes on it, one with red handlebars, the other with an aqua-colored frame.

Maybe a woman's bike, maybe not, since some people—men and women—like garish when it comes to bicycles. I estimate that's not a huge frame because the headset is short. Interestingly, however, the color of the frame matches the color of SM's bike helmet.

That car could just as easily belong to a daughter, however.

Also, that bike rack....the bike goes in a tray and then, depending on model and brand, has a large hook or loop that you pull over the wheel and lock down. If you didn't do it right, or if you were in a hurry, you could very easily damage the brake down by the disk. FWIW

Last edited:
We are in very unusual times due to Covid lock downs. I would think their daughters have a strong support community and more long time friends and family back where they grew up. I'd not read anything into their current locations.
I disagree. It is the very first thing my parents wanted when my brother was killed. I was 19 and my younger brother was 16. They needed to see us, keep us close for quite a while afterwards. So I read a lot into this ...

Great eyes!
Doesn't make any difference to me if it was her car. She has been described as both a mountain biker and a road biker, which use totally different bicycles. I'm sure she owned at least one of each. It would not be unusual for her to own 6 or 7 bicycles. I have a relative who is a professional biker, who owns well over a hundred bicycles and is buying new ones all the time. IMO

I can understand those who believe it’s an abduction and the LE should be focusing on that scenario because isn’t the official line (not to mention the thread title) that she didn’t return from a bike ride?

But in my personal opinion, it wasn’t an abduction. I believe she wanted out of the marriage, probably due to the control issues. and he couldn’t deal with it. It just makes the most sense to me, considering how proud he seemed to be of his beautiful wife and family. MOO.

Any way it turns out, my heart breaks for their girls.

I have a close friend who also is a bike rider in Colorado. My opinion would be if her bike broke down she wouldn't risk putting it anywhere in the open for fear of it being stolen. Those bikes cost a pretty penny. She would camouflage it well and know exactly where it was after riding those roads on a regular basis. She also doesn't go empty handed, she has emergency supplies in her backpack. Drink, snack, necessary tools, plus a headset & phone. She's worried about hydration, sugar and breakdowns with the terrain. Bicycle riders don't just walk out the door with no phone unprepared. moo
I agree with this. I have many of those items and a little bit more with me when I go out with hubby. I've been on some so called beginner trails with rough terrain and it would be so easy to get a flat, chain fall off, etc. Even your seat can loosen up and need to be adjusted.

Also, some trails are well marked, and some are not with several ways you can go, confusing any bike rider not familiar with the bike trail.

So in my opinion, it sounds like she was an experienced mountain biker and would bring her phone and some of those items at the very least- even if it was spotty out there, it does ping the nearest tower. It's smart to take it, just in case. Seeing that she was riding close to home, she might not bring as much as she would with an unfamiliar trail, but you still should bring water and a snack with sugar, at the very least.

Releasing the home back to BM is one issue. LE can't hold onto the house indefinitely.

Legally BM has a right to know what was seized as part of the search warrants executed. In your example the wording would be: 1 <length> x <width> section of carpet from <name of room>.

They're not going to say in the search warrant why they collected those specific items, only that they collected specific items and the items will be identified. The search warrant spells out the gist of what LE is looking for right up front. The only people who will know what was collected will be LE, the DA's office, the judge who signed the search warrant order, the owner of the home (BM). The public will not find out until such time a search warrant is unsealed or at trial.
My original post was in response to Minnypin's comment: "So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there."
I'm suggesting that LE would have some leverage about when BM can return home so that they can conduct their investigation and build their case unimpeded by a suspect, if in fact BM is considered to be so by them. I don't take issue with your statement that BM has a legal right to know what was seized at some point once the search is concluded.

First time posting on this on thread. Just sharing my thoughts on this missing mom. She seems like a really nice person, what her family is going through must be difficult and heartbreaking.
The neighbor believes she went riding early Sunday morning. Unclear if she had been actually seen that morning since the homes in this mountain community are far apart.The daughters became worried after not reaching her. I understand this since it’s still cold in the Rocky Mountains and she was by herself. Nothing has been reported when was the last time anyone had heard from her? Has her phone been found? Riding alone on mountain roads most people would feel it’s important to have your cell phone in case of emergency.
Has LE tracked the husbands cell phone. This information would help LE determine his whereabouts on Saturday or Sunday. It only a two and half hour drive from Denver to Salina.
Not much if anything has been said about the state of their marriage. Two years ago they moved from outside Indianapolis hoping to sell a 1.7 ml home. The couple moved to the small mountain town of Salina and purchased a home worth over a million. Not many folks could make two house payments of this size.
Nothing has been reported from the missing moms side of the family. Her family possibly knows more about their marriage and are keeping silent.
The husband’s video is right up there with CW’s news video. Except CW talked longer.. .
Welcome!
The home in Indiana is worth 800k - it finally sold for $750k ... the one in Colorado is worth $1.5-1.7 million and according to records - free and clear of traditional mortgage.
The mom’s family is speaking out now, by the way. Her mother died of cancer years ago, but she has a sibling and other family.
Suzanne Morphew’s family is 'in the dark' as Mother's Day mystery grows

My original post was in response to Minnypin's comment: "So it would make sense that BM could’ve possibly been living somewhere else when SM went missing, because from all the cases I remember the spouse can’t be/won’t be kept from their home, even when a suspect, unless they weren’t currently residing there."

Okay I see. Although what you say in bold isn't true in that during the time LE has control of a home to execute a search warrant, no one is allowed entry other than LE personnel, regardless of where the owner(s) or tenants, if a property is leased, live or don't live. Amount of time a home is in LE's control is variable, depends on the search warrant. There's no info that BM was living anywhere else but the $1.5M home he shared with SM, at the time of her disappearance. We know he's now staying at a friend's house.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure he has been around a long time ... just his first post in this case... isn’t that right @MassGuy? I don’t forget bylines like that ... “the monsters aren’t the ones beneath the bed.”

You got it, @vaporlass!
He's a WS veteran, and we're glad he's "back" in the whirligig with us!
And he's right about the monsters!

Okay I see. Although what you say in bold isn't true in that during the time LE has control of a home to execute a search warrant, no one is allowed entry other than LE personnel, regardless of where the owner(s) or tenants, if a property is leased, live or don't live. Amount of time a home is in LE's control is variable, depends on the search warrant. There's no info that BM was living anywhere else but the $1.5M home he shared with SM.
I agree with you 100%. The bold statement is MinnyPin's, not mine. Apologies if that wasn't clear. I should have referenced the post# to make it easier for you to go back and reread, but haven't yet figured out how to easily track it down without going back through all the other posts that followed it. Still learning some of the ropes ...

BM fb is down. Wonder if that is by his own choice or LE’s request?
LE would not make such a request. If it's been taken down it was done by him. LE would never cut off a potential source of evidence. Perps have hurt their cases by posting things on FB. One example: Tammy Moorer, who was convicted and sentenced to 30 years for conspiracy and kidnapping of victim Heather Elvis, posted so much stuff and some of it made its way into her trial where it helped get her convicted.

I disagree. It is the very first thing my parents wanted when my brother was killed. I was 19 and my younger brother was 16. They needed to see us, keep us close for quite a while afterwards. So I read a lot into this ...
My sincere condolences for the loss of your brother. Thank you for sharing your families experience. I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for your family.

Welcome!
The home in Indiana is worth 800k - it finally sold for $750k ... the one in Colorado is worth $1.5-1.7 million and according to records - free and clear of traditional mortgage.
The mom’s family is speaking out now, by the way. Her mother died of cancer years ago, but she has a sibling and other family.
Suzanne Morphew’s family is 'in the dark' as Mother's Day mystery grows
I don't believe the Indiana home sold yet, but my memory might be deceiving me.

It seems odd that the message sent to their former church group in Indiana, mentioning the crashed bike and the mountain lion, was sent so soon after she was reported missing. Less than 24 hours, as it was sent on the 11th.
Why jump to the mountain lion conclusion so quickly and then suggest it to a whole group of people?

It’s almost as if the message is saying, “no foul play here guys,” knowing they are going to hear she’s missing any day now. Whoever wrote it, seems to want to prevent anyone from their old home town, from digging up theories, putting two and two together etc... seeing as they might be aware of something in the Morphew’s history, that the people in CO are not.

JMO

Vis a vis murder, abduction for lifelong sexual purposes remain rare. I'm making a distinction between paedophile gangs who groom young girls to pass around their contacts, and individual abductors. And of the latter, there are at least 2 subgroups -one where they rape the victim once/several times before murdering them, and another group where the female is sujected to being re

Yes, they were from when he was permitted to be there. So he had gone back home after his "Denver" trip, and after the announcement that Suzanne was missing. He hasn't been allowed to go back to the marital home since the search.
Unfortunately, there are long lists of missing young women who have never been found. I didn't speculate they are abducted for "lifelong" sexual purposes but it wouldn't surprise me. If they aren't found, it is impossible to know where they are or whether they are victims of crime.

In the case of Sierah Joughin, she was 20 yo, abducted off her bicycle and her body was found buried in a cornfield. Her killer had done the same thing to another young woman years earlier and she escaped. imo, if they aren't raped it is because they successfully fought their attacker and he killed them out of anger.

JMO

I took it that he has his hands on his truck. The other vehicle is someone else's. On the other vehicle is a bike rack (there's a ski rack, too) that has 2 mountainbikes on it, one with red handlebars, the other with an aqua-colored frame.

Maybe a woman's bike, maybe not, since some people—men and women—like garish when it comes to bicycles. I estimate that's not a huge frame because the headset is short. Interestingly, however, the color of the frame matches the color of SM's bike helmet.

That car could just as easily belong to a daughter, however.

Also, that bike rack....the bike goes in a tray and then, depending on model and brand, has a large hook or loop that you pull over the wheel and lock down. If you didn't do it right, or if you were in a hurry, you could very easily damage the brake down by the disk. FWIW
bbm
Oooooh... thanks.
Almost missed that lil' nugget. ;)
Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors