Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm wondering if LE has Barry's DNA. In most jurisdictions, asking for DNA is not considered a violation of the right to remain silent. If Barry didn't give it, and instead lawyered up, I wonder what LE will do next?

I hate to see the two daughters be in the middle of this or asked to provide evidence. I'm sure they found Suzanne's DNA in the house in various places (hairbrush) but I wonder if Barry took his hair utensils with him to Colorado - and now has them where ever he is?

I know we have to wait to find out, I'm just thinking about what types of evidence LE might be interested in finding.

I would say anyone having an affair with a man when his wife has cancer ... deserves to spend the rest of her life in the hell she will endure with such a person.
bbm
True.
It doesn't get much worse than that-- aside from outright murder.
LE in this case know more than we do about everything, and I have respect for them.

I'll just sit here all evening and hit like, then unlike, then like, then... well, you get the idea :)

We'd be honored to have you consider becoming a verified professional here.

Your wealth of knowledge on these cases we follow is invaluable.

Here's the link: Verified Professional and Insider Members
That's very kind of you. I will think about it. I've just recovered from a very serious bout of COVID-19 - ill for 10 weeks in total, including pneumonia. I know I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still thoroughly wiped out (and can't yet climb one flight of stairs without having to sit down to get my breath back). Ihave COVID antibodies whizzing around my body, which is great, and I'm packing to go look after a close relative who is dying and doesn't want palliative care from the local hospice. My life priorities have turned upside down and I don't ever like committing to something I can't carry through. It suits me to be an occasional lay-person right now.
Love and respect to all those who are suffering from COVID-19, and for their loved ones too. Sorry to go off-piste!
In your opinion is much weight placed on the fact he took so long to publicly appear/plea for her return? Definitely a novice here, but I thought his eyes were just too steady. Scrunched up in "pain" satisfactorily, but completely steady as though in an acting class. Or maybe you already noted that, lol. I was thinking if I were in that situation I would cycle through bafflement to pain, but he showed no bafflement. IMO

It is highly unusual to not want to do something together with the police earlier on. Initial appeals are as much about jogging the public's memory as they are about appealing to a specific person or persons. Memories fade/become distorted and therefore time is of the essence in gathering as much evidence as early as possible. I'd have to see BM's usual facial expressions when distressed to make a call on what you've asked me. One way you might want to explore your idea further is to watch the footage in 2 halves. Pick out the times when, on first glance he looks the most distressed (as you say, his forehead is furrowed) and make a note of them. Then play that footage again with the upper part of the face occluded, so you can't see his eyes or brow. Repeat the exercise, again noting the timings of when you think he is most distressed, as expressed by his mouth/lower face muscles. Then compare the timings. Do they correlate? Look at other instances of footage where people are genuinely distraught. There's plenty of examples - say after natural disasters, plane crashes, etc. There are some universal expressions that occur irrespective of multiple variables such as race, sex etc. Do you see anything different when you look at the lower half of the face of people in emotional or psychological pain?
Compare instances where there have been similar cases to what we are discussing on this thread and where the person making the appeal is subsequently proved innocent. Those activities may answer your questions.

The Sheriff's office has done nothing that we know of to invite criticism. Since the public doesn't know what evidence they've gathered and what else is on their to-do list, there's no objective reason to believe they are not doing their job, being professional, and working methodically, while coordinating with multiple agencies. As noted by some before, it's not uncommon to occasionally encounter sleuths who might believe they should be directing LE on what to do and how to do it.

And I must add a caveat here: there are myriad reasons why some individuals will give certain clues when being interviewed or making an appeal. Such reasons may be tangential, but still have a bearing on how an individual behaves, verbally and non-verbally.

Thank you for the expertise you bring to the thread, Doctor. I very much look forward to more from you concerning behavior during public pleas.....perhaps some links?

It's also a great way to avoid questions by the media and LE. Jmo
Ita !
Of course ... BM has the right to remain silent and not speak to LE.
It's not going to win him much support from anyone aside from his own immediate family.
I've wondered after hearing the nephew's plea how close he is to BM, or are they not friendly ?
Imo.

Last edited:
They are very different personalities. Leticia Stauch manifestly has a severe personality disorder. You are wrong in your statement to say that we will never know what they are thinking. It's taken me 25 years medical training and as a principal research scientist in this field (having studied at Harvard and Cambridge) to gain this amount of expertise. To give you an example of the work I've done with a broad spectrum of clients and patients - from top security hospitals housing people who have committed the most heinous of crimes, through to first time offenders of serious crimes: in approximately 300 cases, my clinical assessment on first and second meeting has been correct 97% of the time, and not infrequently when police personnel have a very different view. One of the patients took his own life before assessment could be completed.
I have seen, diagnosed and treated quite literally thousands of patients. L Stauch has a highly disordered, manipulative personality. We used the first interview she gave with her back to the camera as a confidential medical teaching masterclass, exploring with postdoc medics doing psychiatry training, the extremes of personality traits.
This is fascinating IMO -

The Sheriff's office has done nothing that we know of to invite criticism. Since the public doesn't know what evidence they've gathered and what else is on their to-do list, there's no objective reason to believe they are not doing their job, being professional, and working methodically, while coordinating with multiple agencies.

They are protecting the investigation by not releasing information to looky-loos whose only connection to the case is curiosity.
bbm
Well said !
When a "like" is not enough.
I don't know if anyone has been vocally critical of the sheriff's office-- but if so, shame on them.
They are pursuing justice for Suzanne and it would appear they're being diligent to the point of seeming to move too slowly for some people's opinion.
MOO

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.

Great to see you back, Massguy! Missed your input on this and Maddie’s case. At least that one had a happy ending. I’m with you here, though. This is not going to end well.

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

Well, since it says "Barry is just beside himself", and not "Dad" is just beside himself, I'd rule out the daughters sending the message. The message was sent on May 11, very soon after her disappearance, IMO. I don't know if the presence of the mountain lion, and the bike "crash" has appeared in other media as I missed the first few threads here, but I didn't see it in the media thread which I did peruse, but may have missed those references.

How many people in the family were acquainted with the church community in Indiana? To the point where they would think of sending a message to the church the day after she apparently went missing? So, I think Barry sent it, it was too early for others to think of spreading the idea of the mountain lion and bike crash. IMO

IMO it would not occur to the daughters to send that message the very day after she went missing.

I find it puzzling that Crime on Line saw the message but did not reveal "who sent it". Why? Enquiring minds want to know. The fact that the church, and Crime on Line both did not reveal the source of the message makes me think (IMO) that LE told them not to. At least they didn't reveal it in this article.

Well, when I read the CrimeOnline piece, I just thought immediately that Barry sent it. The church person knows that "Barry is distraught" so they have to have either talked to him or laid eyes on him (or talked to someone who had). The mountain lion story is inserted by someone close to the family in any case.

It's interesting if that was in fact Barry (we may never know) because whoever floated the mountain lion theory early certainly got a response from Sheriff Spezze. Spezze must have gotten wind of the mountain lion theory and put the kabash on that fairly soon. I have to say that I am aware of a case, where a mountain did turn out to be a culprit - perhaps not in pouncing on someone, but in dragging their body to a den where they were trying to feed cubs (this appeared in the forensic gnawing marks and the place where the body was found). It's possible that in the case I just mentioned that person was throttled by the lion, but only some bones were left (and not all of them).

But something specific must make the Sheriff reject "my" mountain lion theory - as well as the mountain lion theory of whoever contacted the church...

Now I'm wondering if LE has Barry's DNA. In most jurisdictions, asking for DNA is not considered a violation of the right to remain silent. If Barry didn't give it, and instead lawyered up, I wonder what LE will do next?

Easy peasy. LE can, and often does, get a nontestimonial identification order from a local judge. Those are quite routine in missing person and criminal cases.

I hate to see the two daughters be in the middle of this or asked to provide evidence. I'm sure they found Suzanne's DNA in the house in various places (hairbrush) but I wonder if Barry took his hair utensils with him to Colorado - and now has them where ever he is?

Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't Suzanne's DNA be all over her house; clothes; belongings; bike and vehicle? What advantage would there be in taking her hair utensils with him?

The Sheriff's office has done nothing that we know of to invite criticism. Since the public doesn't know what evidence they've gathered and what else is on their to-do list, there's no objective reason to believe they are not doing their job, being professional, and working methodically, while coordinating with multiple agencies. As noted before, it's not uncommon to observe sleuths who might believe they should be directing LE on what to do and how to do it.

This.

We probably don't know 99.9% of what LE knows. Yet we have people in here criticizing how they are handling the case and that they appear to be focusing on the husband.

Common sense would tell you this is because they have strong evidence that points this way. Just because they aren't sharing what they know with us, doesn't mean they are "fumbling" the investigation.

I imagine whenever it's time to see the affidavits, we once again will be blown away by the amount of evidence LE has.

bbm
Well said !
When a "like" is not enough.
I don't know if anyone has been vocally critical of the sheriff's office-- but if so, shame on them.
They are pursuing justice for Suzanne and it would appear they're being diligent to the point of seeming to move too slowly for some people's opinion.
MOO
And we are LE friendly so I hope there isn’t any bashing I’ve been away from suzannes thread this weekend And I need to update her media thread but my guess is there is not much new and no pressers still? Has there even been one ? Besides the press releases on the sheriffs website ??

Well, I made the silly mistake of making a quick trip to the post office :D

Okay folks, as someone said in a prior thread "this is why we can't have nice things" ;)

Please move on from trying to hammer your own opinions into other peoples' brains or perpetually asking why someone thinks a certain way. Wouldn't be much of a discussion if we all thought the same thing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's perfectly fine to have some members believe differently. They don't need to be badgered about why they think that way (unless they bring up the ever popular alien abduction or engage in conspiracy theorizing). I don't know but perhaps their theory is one that can't be discussed under TOS, or they just have a gut feeling. No need to badger.

Scroll and roll.

Thank you.

It was mentioned Barry's mother is out there and then there is the friend who also put up 100K. If they suspected Barry in the least they would never do this. How many people have a friend that puts up 100K!

We often see friends and family of suspects refuse to belive the obvious. Hell, last I checked Tecia Stauch STILL has family defending her. It’s absurd!

It’s always good to be wary of this turning into sort of an echo chamber, and I don’t think there’s a 0.0% chance this was an abduction and murder, but the way LE has handled this from day one makes clear who their #1 suspect is.

Well, when I read the CrimeOnline piece, I just thought immediately that Barry sent it. The church person knows that "Barry is distraught" so they have to have either talked to him or laid eyes on him (or talked to someone who had). The mountain lion story is inserted by someone close to the family in any case.

It's interesting if that was in fact Barry (we may never know) because whoever floated the mountain lion theory early certainly got a response from Sheriff Spezze. Spezze must have gotten wind of the mountain lion theory and put the kabash on that fairly soon. I have to say that I am aware of a case, where a mountain did turn out to be a culprit - perhaps not in pouncing on someone, but in dragging their body to a den where they were trying to feed cubs (this appeared in the forensic gnawing marks and the place where the body was found). It's possible that in the case I just mentioned that person was throttled by the lion, but only some bones were left (and not all of them).

But something specific must make the Sheriff reject "my" mountain lion theory - as well as the mountain lion theory of whoever contacted the church...

I'd really like to know the timing of the emailed mountain lion hypothesis related to the first mention of the kidnapping hypothesis. If kidnapping was only brought up after the wild animal theory was dismissed, that's interesting. I'll check our map and see if I can find that. MOO

Apart from their father during the most traumatic event in their life? That says it all.

I respectfully disagree.

If I was ever in this horrid situation, I would have no problem with my boys staying with a family member. Yes it would probably be one of the worst times of their life, but we could always communicate. I would be a wreck looking for my husband, and wondering what the heck happened. It would give me enormous peace of mind to know that my kids were with someone I trusted, and the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about them on top of everything else I'm dealing with, would be a huge sigh of relief. Especially if we were not allowed to be in our home.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member