Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not repeating that question and the addition of "we hope he continues to do so" told me all I need to know. I will stay within TOS, but can you read my thought bubble?

yeeeeahh….in all likelihood, he probably didn't mean to actually say it out loud. "Yes he's cooperating" more than suffices to answer the question. I get the feeling that his thought/mouth filter was momentarily out of order...

I still get a "Ozarks" from Netflix feel about this one... IMO and I know it's in the minority.

But you are not alone. And while I was reading your post, for some reason I had a dim memory of a prior case in that area (1980, Beverly England). I have family in that area and we were in Colorado that summer. Stayed in my mind.

I do not think we can know since the last reporters showed the street to their home was blocked off. I am wondering if the house has been closed to the family for investigation, and we just do not know it yet. They could be staying with neighbors for all we know. MOO
Good point. I wish someone would ask LE about this at the next presser. For all we know some of the "items" they found were found at the home??

<modsnip> There's a backstory here and we just don't know what it is.

Either that, or she really was abducted by a stranger, or a cryptid (if you're one of those 411 enthusiasts).

Since they don't think she ran off to perish purposefully in the mountains, or that a mountain lion got her (thanks, LE, for giving your professional opinion on this important question)...we have fewer possibilities and FBI involved.

I'm definitely on the fence. I can envision and keep envisioning a stranger or loose acquaintance.
Agree, if she was attacked by an animal there would be a distinct crime scene. Trained scent dogs would be able to track that in a hurry.

Sadly, I think there is a human and a vehicle involved. IMO, she was taken from that location in a vehicle, the scent trail would end there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's another possibility.

Unless I missed it, which is entirely possible because I came in to the Sheriff's presser late, I didn't hear LE say that SM was seen by the neighbor on Sunday.

Did he verify that there were sightings of SM on Sunday in that presser?
Did he address the last known time that anyone spoke directly to SM via phone or in person?

Barring that verification from LE that she was seen alive and well on Sunday, I don't think we can rule out the possibility that SM may have been the victim of foul play before the husband went "out of town" 2 hours and 40 minutes away for the weekend.

JMO.

So I saw these questions and thought, what fine questions these are! Then I saw, of course, that it's Gordian Knot, providing an initial dissection post-presser.

I don't think LE has said when she was last seen. And that's truly strange. Isn't it?

He didn't address the last known time someone had spoke to her, either.

And we don't know when the husband went out of town. Or how the neighbor was alerted to check on her/call the police.

Hmmm.

IIRC, the M. Lueck case her family did not speak at all, with the exception of the uncle (prepared statement) at the presser where her murder was announced. That was it. I remember it drive some nuts.

This is my opinion only but I think family speaking out, holding a picture of their loved one in their most desperate moments rarely helps an investigation along. What it does do, is give the public something to shred you apart over or overstep into your personal life. Not a popular opinion I’m sure. I don’t know of many bad guys that reconsider their actions and surrender themselves over family pleas. I also think it’s very likely they were advised to stay away from the media. I get it.

There’s a tip line, concentrated local attention, nationwide coverage, social media and outstanding dedicated resources on this case.

Today's Presser Vid, Husband's Co-op?
I'm not sure why he would think the husband might not continue to do so?
@abo1
At presser vid ~ 7 min mark, when asked about husband's co-op, official responded.
Based on his tone, did not seem imo like absolutely-positively-no-doubt-about-it-110% co-op.

Did he actually say 'so far' or did I imagine it?

Today's Presser Vid, Husband's Co-op?
@abo1
At presser vid ~ 7 min mark, when asked about husband's co-op, official responded.
Based on his tone, did not seem imo like absolutely-positively-no-doubt-about-it-110% co-op.

Did he actually say 'so far' or did I imagine it?

I believe he stated the husband has been cooperative and he hopes that he will continue to do so.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I don't think the sheriff or any LE have been targeting the husband; but actually said today that they "...hope he continues to cooperate..."
That sounds like there's an open line of communication !
At least I hope so.

<modsnip - refers to removed post> We don't know that the sheriff didn't ask people to check their home and vehicle security cameras.
At least most of us do not know this.
But let me say that if he did do this that he and LE and the fbi saw something that they're not sharing with the rest of us; which is pretty standard for an active criminal investigation.The first articles and words from LE were that this is in fact a criminal investigation.
And they usually don't bring in the fbi for a person who may have fallen from her bicycle and is possibly injured, lost, and wandering in the woods.
The fact that a 200,000 reward has been offered is no small deal and it seems like the family thinks someone has her captive.
So sad to think about ! :(
Hence the oddness of the family not wanting to attend the presser.

I get it that some people are more private than others... but Suzanne has been taken or something else nefarious.... the family should be begging for help in the media.
I know I'd be doing that -- if I could speak without collapsing into a mess of tears.

LE ruled out an animal attack and if she was hit by a car and injured she should've been located by now.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed> The sheriff ......I think he's keeping something(s) close to the vest.
His face looked weary and sad, and I don't believe he feels this is any type of Sherri Papini case.
Almost like he has an idea, and it's not going to turn out well at all.
Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheriff NEVER said that husband was not cooperating. He said he was cooperating, and hoped that he continued to do so.
We are 5 days in and we do have "something", itemS have been recovered.
Never tried to get info from the public? Tip Line is established and well publicized.

The public needs to know what they're looking for, though. This is becoming like one of those missing persons cases where there's so little information and person isn't found until years later. No calls for volunteers to search - no mention of SARS or drones or any of that.

So all anyone knows is that Suzanne is missing, her bike and a couple of personal items have been found. (Doesn't that sound like abduction, given that nothing else was said?) Her family appears to have been away for the day, the police were called by a neighbor.

Accidental drowning?

bbm
Well alrighty then. :p
I think you bring up some valid points.

And I don't think the sheriff or any LE have been targeting the husband; but actually said today that they "...hope he continues to cooperate..."
That sounds like there's an open line of communication !
At least I hope so.

First bolded : We don't know that the sheriff didn't ask people to check their home and vehicle security cameras.
At least most of us do not know this.
But let me say that if he did do this that he and LE and the fbi saw something that they're not sharing with the rest of us; which is pretty standard for an active criminal investigation.The first articles and words from LE were that this is in fact a criminal investigation.
And they usually don't bring in the fbi for a person who may have fallen from her bicycle and is possibly injured, lost, and wandering in the woods.
The fact that a 200,000 reward has been offered is no small deal and it seems like the family thinks someone has her captive.
So sad to think about ! :(
Hence the oddness of the family not wanting to attend the presser.

I get it that some people are more private than others... but Suzanne has been taken or something else nefarious.
LE ruled out an animal attack and if she was hit by a car and injured she should've been located by now.

Second bolded : Um, no. The sheriff is probably not in big trouble. I think he's keeping something(s) close to the vest.
His face looked weary and sad, and I don't believe he feels this is any type of Sherri Papini case.
Almost like he has an idea, and it's not going to turn out well at all.
Imo.

Really good post, Liet. And it is possible that since Maysville only has about 125 residents, and the other towns nearby aren't much bigger, that LE have spoken to the community through other channels (trying to keep the media out). I think it's going to be a very sad case indeed.

I believe he stated the husband has been cooperative and he hopes that he will continue to do so.
bbm
Thanks.
I was re-watching the presser and hadn't heard that yet.

IF Suzanne has been abducted... we need a vehicle description or at least what she was wearing, what shoes/sunglasses she had, and what her bike looks like.
That's why this case is so strange and puzzling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr