Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that every reason to make a public appeal, personally. At the very least in the form of a written statement to the press. MOO

I'm going to reserve my judgment because all we really know is that there's grave concern for Suzanne's welfare and this is an active investigation. Both of those are very innocent and understandable reasons why a family may not speak with the media immediately in and of themselves. We have no idea if such a plea would be helpful right now - and there's a decent chance that such a statement could actually complicate the investigation.

bbm
Well alrighty then. :p
I think you bring up some valid points.

And I don't think the sheriff or any LE have been targeting the husband; but actually said today that they "...hope he continues to cooperate..."
That sounds like there's an open line of communication !
At least I hope so.

First bolded : We don't know that the sheriff didn't ask people to check their home and vehicle security cameras.
At least most of us do not know this.
But let me say that if he did do this that he and LE and the fbi saw something that they're not sharing with the rest of us; which is pretty standard for an active criminal investigation.The first articles and words from LE were that this is in fact a criminal investigation.
And they usually don't bring in the fbi for a person who may have fallen from her bicycle and is possibly injured, lost, and wandering in the woods.
The fact that a 200,000 reward has been offered is no small deal and it seems like the family thinks someone has her captive.
So sad to think about ! :(
Hence the oddness of the family not wanting to attend the presser.

I get it that some people are more private than others... but Suzanne has been taken or something else nefarious.
LE ruled out an animal attack and if she was hit by a car and injured she should've been located by now.

Second bolded : Um, no. The sheriff is probably not in big trouble. I think he's keeping something(s) close to the vest.
His face looked weary and sad, and I don't believe he feels this is any type of Sherri Papini case.
Almost like he has an idea, and it's not going to turn out well at all.
Imo.
Is it possible there is some evidence but not enough to determine abduction/ murder and that’s why he is weary? I know personally these LE feel for these cases and just having some evidence but not enough hurts their hearts IMO

It is a pretty small, close knit area, where she went missing. The sheriff could have easily asked the locals for any videos, and for any potential witnesses, in person, back at the start of the investigation.

As to the comment---"...hope he continues to cooperate..."----

That is an odd thing to say, unless there was reason to believe he would possibly stop cooperating. JMO

I mean we are used to seeing desperate pleas from a family member when their loved ones missing, it's hard not to notice.

There's a bit of confirmation bias there, because that doesn't take into account all of the thousands and thousands of missing person cases that don't get any media attention whatsoever. There's actually plenty of cases in which the family never makes a big public plea, by their choice or otherwise.

So the two things we learned that are new to us:

• First search yielded item(s) plural, then today's search located another item that belong to SM.
• Hubby is cooperating and LE hopeful he continues to do so
• Suicide not ruled out but not considered likely at all

So they've discovered 3 items in 2 different locations.
The bike and what else?
And why would the bike be in a separate location than at least one of the other items??
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How do we make that make sense?
Well, if she was attacked in one area, dragged to another area, perhaps one of those items fell off of her- a sneaker, a piece of jewelry, ear buds if she wore them, helmet, cell phone. That's all that I can come up with.

LE said it was a criminal investigation several days ago. IIRC.

Actually, it was the "media" who said it. NY Post was the first, and then it was repeated. LE said no such thing.
Of course, we can assume it is because of the large response, and many agencies involved.

bbm
Thanks.
I was re-watching the presser and hadn't heard that yet.

IF Suzanne has been abducted... we need a vehicle description or at least what she was wearing, what shoes/sunglasses she had, and what her bike looks like.
That's why this case is so strange and puzzling.

It's definitely not the norm for a missing persons case to not have a flyer , where she was last seen, what she may have been wearing, height, weight, hair color, eye color etc etc

Early public pleas for anyone that may have seen her etc

They are certainly not investigating this like a missing persons case but closer to a murder investigation.

With that said they also brought other agencies in almost immediately

Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office
Chaffee County Search and Rescue North and South
Chaffee County Combined TAC Team
Department of Corrections Search Team
Department of Corrections East Canon Search Team
Colorado Department of Transportation
Colorado State Patrol
K9 Assistance
FBI (Evidence Recovery Team)
CBI

I'm convinced they have their reasons for not asking the public for help and It's absolutely not bc they are clueless.

I think It's actually quite the opposite, they know that the general public likely can't provide them with any useful information in finding SM

I am wondering if they suspect someone abducted her that knows the family. Keeping the husband out of the media could be a way to not provoke that person. If it's personal for some reason, then maybe.. they always have a reason for how they do things. Even when family speaks, LE usually tells them what to say. I think this is a state that has seen the media and the public go after these families. We are all interested in the case of course, but the last few high profile ones were relentless for the families. I think he is protecting his daughters because they don't know what happened or who could have been the target.
I just don't buy the kidnapping angle. I appreciate your thoughts and respect them, but just things don't add up to her being kidnapped.

The public needs to know what they're looking for, though. This is becoming like one of those missing persons cases where there's so little information and person isn't found until years later. No calls for volunteers to search - no mention of SARS or drones or any of that.

So all anyone knows is that Suzanne is missing, her bike and a couple of personal items have been found. (Doesn't that sound like abduction, given that nothing else was said?) Her family appears to have been away for the day, the police were called by a neighbor.

Accidental drowning?

I've thought about drowning too but I'm starting to doubt that. The spring run-off hasn't really started and it was a pretty dry year anyways... the rivers are all pretty low. If they were thinking she might be in the water I'd expect to see some more FD/technical resources out there.

Actually, it was the "media" who said it. NY Post was the first, and then it was repeated. LE said no such thing.
Of course, we can assume it is because of the large response, and many agencies involved.

The Sheriff said there was an investigation going on in addition to the search. He definitely did not specify that it was a criminal investigation (but that's the obvious assumption considering the DA, FBI and CBI are on it.)

Is it possible there is some evidence but not enough to determine abduction/ murder and that’s why he is weary? I know personally these LE feel for these cases and just having some evidence but not enough hurts their hearts IMO

I gotta' be honest:

One of the first things I did when I head about this case was to consult my Colorado map to determine whether or not Chaffee County fell within Colorado's 4th Judicial District.

I'll admit that for DA Dan May's and DDA Michael Allen's sakes, I was relieved to see that they weren't about to have yet another high-profile case dumped onto their plate, which has been plenty loaded over the past few years between the Kelsey Berreth and Gannon Stauch cases.

At least the 4th Judicial District has (for once) been spared what looks to be a complicated, sad, tragic case.

The 11th Judicial District's DA is likely going to get a taste of what Dan May and Co. have been through.

I swear, what is it with all these Colorado cases, anyway?
Such a gorgeous state, too!

JMO.

Last edited:
And, if it is a stranger abduction, any witnesses will be in the process of forgetting what they saw on or around Mother's Day. Witnesses remember their own doings pretty well on days like Mother's Day, but after a couple of weeks, they're going to forget if they saw a stranger car in the area (this is a pretty rural area), it's possible someone would have noticed something, although it's true that's a needle in a haystack.

At any rate, the fact that there's no attempt to find witnesses is intriguing. It's not unusual for people with enough money to hire an attorney, even if they are innocent. I would do that, if I were the husband and father in this case, so no shade on him from me for being unavailable. For all we know, the family is back at the home, and is just keeping very private.
This is what worries me, focusing on the husband and not other investigating. This happened in Colorado coincidently with Jon Benet, they focused only on the parents and never found the perp. IMO it was because they were wealthy and same thing here. Like it's a Colorado thing. Someone abducted this woman, look for that person before it's too late.

I gotta' be honest:

One of the first things I did when I head about this case was to consult my Colorado map to determine whether or not Chaffee County fell within Colorado's 4th Judicial District.

I'll admit that for DA Dan May's and DDA Michael Allen's sakes, I was relieved to see that they weren't about to have yet another high-profile case dumped onto their plate, which has been plenty loaded over the past few years between the Kelsey Berreth and Gannon Stauch cases.

At least the 4th Judicial District has (for once) been spared what looks to be a complicated, sad, tragic case.

The 11th Judicial District's DA is likely going to get a taste of what Dan May and Co. have been through.

I swear, what is it about Colorado, anyway? Such a gorgeous state, too!

JMO.

I live here. I just do not know why these cases keep happening.

Something is clearly off here. I’ve never seen a missing person case where, despite regular updates, we still don’t have any information about what we should be looking for (i.e., what was she wearing, any idea of her planned route or ETA, not even whether she was on a road or mountain bike...?). Just the continued assurance that they’ve got the investigation under control, and call this number with any information. IMO, they’re not looking for information from the public.

In case anyone is wondering, my opinion is that I have no opinion. This could go many ways, moo.

ETA: I will say there is a thorough and active response, and LE and other teams seem to be giving it their best. :)

ETA2: I will also say I’m sure there’s no shortage of perv sickos ready to come out of lockdown.

No rest for the wicked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members