Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, but I thought they were searching the general area where the bike was found. I thought that's why they were searching there to begin with. I don't think the nephew confirmed the exact location, but there must be a reason why they were searching there with dogs and drones.

Isn't it the same general area that they found the item they believed to belong to Suzanne? Idk.

Imo
I think they said they were searching where they were due to Suzanne apparently saying that’s where she was headed. We don’t know who she told that to though.

Have they confirmed its an open criminal investigation?

Yes. Days ago (Mar 13): https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

Just another thought... with the LE saying it is an open criminal investigation, this means they must have found something that supports that. They wouldn't just tell the public that if it was a hunch, right?

A missing persons inquiry becomes a criminal investigation when LE has reason to believe foul play. That’s what has struck me from the moment we saw that NY Post article. It was basically an admission by the Sheriff that something criminal had most probably gone down, and it wasn’t just some straightforward search and rescue mission to find her lost or hurt.

there are always other cases to compare a new case to, in order to fit one's preferred narrative. however, as a general rule, how exceedingly rare is it, after 5 days of investigating, to have zero info released to the public, under these types of circumstances? nothing about when she was last seen? her last known contact with anyone- phone text or otherwise? what she was wearing? what LE has ruled out based on what was left behind as well as bank contact etc etc? this could validly include a number of working scenarios...but I believe it points to one thing. lets just call it, "Close to home". I hope I am wrong.

Could always have been an accident involving a car - like a hit-and-run that ended with a very strange twist (bike thrown over the ravine, removal of the body, small personal item overlooked and left behind etc). I guess we’ll know more after the sheriff gives his post-search presser. Or not.

A hit and run would be highly unlikely in this case IMO

Hit and runs are normally about getting away as quickly as possible and generally the victim is found right in the close proximity where they were hit.

It's highly unusual for a hit and run suspect to actually load the victims body into their own vehicle.

It has happened but it's extremely rare

Last edited:
there are always other cases to compare a new case to, in order to fit one's preferred narrative. however, as a general rule, how exceedingly rare is it, after 5 days of investigating, to have zero info released to the public, under these types of circumstances?
Snipped.

Very normal. Not rare.

jmo

Also, interesting the neighbor called before dark. I think I would have waited until dark unless I had other info or concerns. I would have started worrying but not called until later.

Such as... I used to tell my neighbor to call 911 if she didn't hear from me by 5, jokingly but half serious, due to circumstances. Which would cause her more concern sooner if she didn’t hear from me by 5.

Also, interesting the neighbor called before dark. I think I would have waited until dark unless I had other info or concerns. I would have started worrying but not called until later.

Such as... I used to tell my neighbor to call 911 if she didn't hear from me by 5, jokingly but half serious, due to circumstances. Which would cause her more concern sooner if she didn’t hear from me by 5.
I'm thinking either the condition of the bike and/or the location of the bike make it seem urgent that LE be contacted.

jmo

eta: To clarify, it's my hunch that the neighbor found the bike and then called LE. jmopinion

I think the early searches in this case suggest that they thought she really did go on a bike ride and was potentially missing out in nature somewhere. I have no idea where things stand now, but the initial resources deployed/search type strike me as consistent with searching for the victims of, e.g., a mountain biking accident.

I think the fact the nephew talks about asking about the condition of the bike either means it was absolutely pristine/didn’t look ridden/maybe even had an unattached chain or something else that suggested it was a plant OR it was a twisted mangled mess suggesting it was hit by a car/crashed into something. If the bike just looked like a bike that maybe was ridden and put down, I don’t know why the nephew would focus on asking about the condition. Given that, IMO, the initial search was consistent with a person missing in the wilderness, I would guess the bike was severely damaged in some way. I still think there’s a chance she’s injured and out there somewhere and/or that she really was the victim of some kind of accident.

I'm thinking either the condition of the bike and/or the location of the bike make it seem urgent that LE be contacted.

jmo

eta: To clarify, it's my hunch that the neighbor found the bike and then called LE. jmopinion
I agree, with the area being so close to the home, it seems like it would be near the neighbor as well. Hypothetically, the neighbor may have had children and one of them may have found the bike. This would have prompted the call to the LE, especially if SM had a distinct bike.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member