CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I looked at it he plea bargained it down to a misdemeanour and got probation which then looked like it got transfered to Marion County. As he has now absconded does that negate the plea deal and probation? I can only think ISP are involved now because of any extradition.
What do others think?

Reading it again he was violating probation from January 2017 onwards and not appearing. They kept having fact finding hearings but he FTA so the warrant was issued in May 2017.
This means if he did commit the Delphi murders he was on probation and not complying at that time, yet he was signing in weekly as a RSO in another county. This is why they eventually went looking for him in July when he stopped signing in.

(BTW he has 5 warrants altogether)

When I saw that State Police notation I tried not to look at the whole package of DN's "stuff" (wrong approach perhaps, because his other stuff might impact the answer?). Instead I tried to stand back and look at it as a random person with a Criminal Misdemeanor. And it just didn't make sense to me that the State Police would be entering anything related to anyone's docket for a CM.

I did some searching, it appears the ISP is a 'keeper of records' of sorts for felony and misdemeanor arrest records:
About Limited Criminal History Records
A Limited Criminal History contains only felonies and class A misdemeanor arrests within the state of Indiana. Completeness of this information is based upon county participation. As an alternative to performing a search online, a Limited Criminal History can also be obtained by mailing a request form to the Indiana State Police.
...Effective May 1, 2014, money orders will be the only acceptable form of payment for Limited Criminal History background reports.

http://in.gov/ai/appfiles/isp-lch//

BBM
So based on the above it sounds like if one wants to pay for results of a search and get them from ISP, one can do so. But since it's an alternative to an online search, it doesn't sound like it's different info, just a different method of retrieving it. (Perhaps for those who don't use a computer, or need an 'official' copy?) But also note it says completeness of the info is based on county participation. So it sounds like the county puts in the data, and is responsible for it's accuracy and completeness, not the ISP. But on DN's docket, it appears the ISP had some kind of hands-on participation. If it's the county's responsibility to create and maintain the records, I'm still puzzled why ISP would be involved in his docket, particularly a Criminal Misdemeanor.

When I saw that State Police notation I tried not to look at the whole package of DN's "stuff" (wrong approach perhaps, because his other stuff might impact the answer?). Instead I tried to stand back and look at it as a random person with a Criminal Misdemeanor. And it just didn't make sense to me that the State Police would be entering anything related to anyone's docket for a CM.

I did some searching, it appears the ISP is a 'keeper of records' of sorts for felony and misdemeanor arrest records:
About Limited Criminal History Records
A Limited Criminal History contains only felonies and class A misdemeanor arrests within the state of Indiana. Completeness of this information is based upon county participation. As an alternative to performing a search online, a Limited Criminal History can also be obtained by mailing a request form to the Indiana State Police.
...Effective May 1, 2014, money orders will be the only acceptable form of payment for Limited Criminal History background reports.

http://in.gov/ai/appfiles/isp-lch//

BBM
So based on the above it sounds like if one wants to pay for results of a search and get them from ISP, one can do so. But since it's an alternative to an online search, it doesn't sound like it's different info, just a different method of retrieving it. (Perhaps for those who don't use a computer, or need an 'official' copy?) But also note it says completeness of the info is based on county participation. So it sounds like the county puts in the data, and is responsible for it's accuracy and completeness, not the ISP. But on DN's docket, it appears the ISP had some kind of hands-on participation. If it's the county's responsibility to create and maintain the records, I'm still puzzled why ISP would be involved in his docket, particularly a Criminal Misdemeanor.
Perhaps because of the numerous warrants and/or because he suddenly failed to register in any other Indiana county he got flagged by the system somehow. He is probably at this stage in May/June not so much high on their list, but when the sketch came out maybe ISP bumped it against mugshots of those with warrants and that the system had flagged, and he then became a priority. They didn't know where he had gone until the Co arrest because he failed to register there so didn't pop up anywhere else.

I was just looking at DN's court cases again in IN. Something caught my eye, made me curious. As we know he has warrants out, one for the Bartholomew Co Indecent Exposure charge, which they classified as a Criminal Misdemeanor. At the bottom of the case summary I see a notation dated 11/20/2017 indicating "Disposition Error: State Police Manually Updated Disposition". What I'm wondering is if it's typical that State Police would be involved in a Criminal Misdemeanor case?

Here is a screenshot, it's only the pertinent part because that's a really long page of activity:
https://public.courts.in.gov/mycase...GaWxlRW5kIjpudWxsLCJDb3VudHlDb2RlIjpudWxsfX0=
The same notation is made on the DV felony case, same date. I also notice a notation that the case was Scanned on 7/20/17, just after the sketch when they realized he was gone from his registered address since May. Not sure what that notation means but seems significant since it doesn't show up as a standard protocol.

The same notation is made on the DV felony case, same date. I also notice a notation that the case was Scanned on 7/20/17, just after the sketch when they realized he was gone from his registered address since May. Not sure what that notation means but seems significant since it doesn't show up as a standard protocol.
It seems ISP had an interest in him before he hit the headlines in Co IMO.
Hmmm.

Thanks, ocgrad, I missed that! I'm not sure what it means either but agree it's something that doesn't seem to be typical.

This is ridiculous there is no news from LE. Is it safe to use the trails for cyclists and others? Have locals or media asked any questions?

This is ridiculous there is no news from LE. Is it safe to use the trails for cyclists and others? Have locals or media asked any questions?

Agreed! I don't get it at all. If I lived in CO and wanted to use those trails (whether a hiker, walker, bird watcher, avid cyclist, trail trekker, or homeless migrant even) I would be deserving of SOME form of update.

Is it not LE's duty to protect the public? So... are they saying there's nothing to worry about out there? Why the deafening ... SILENCE?

I have some thoughts about the answer to that question (on hold until we learn the turnout of this Wed's hearing of "Hatchet Man" as many newspapers have called him) but what of the safety of John Q. Public? Is there a killer still out there ... or not?

Slightly O/T (tho' I guess DN DOES link these threads; until we learn otherwise he remains a POI) but Why Oh Why did the Delphi thread for Libby and Abby get closed??? We are approaching the anniversary of their deaths and it would seem, therefore, public interest would or should be re-invigorated so I am sad we can't even discuss anything right now. What happened?

Slightly O/T (tho' I guess DN DOES link these threads; until we learn otherwise he remains a POI) but Why Oh Why did the Delphi thread for Libby and Abby get closed??? We are approaching the anniversary of their deaths and it would seem, therefore, public interest would or should be re-invigorated so I am sad we can't even discuss anything right now. What happened?

I check the A & L thread multiple times daily, and I saw nothing which would warrant closing it. Frustrating, to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing AFAIK. Tricia said it was going to open later that night but it didn't. We have DN court date on Wednesday. Perhaps there will be more to talk about then?
Perhaps it's the calm before the storm?

http://coloradosprings.com/drifter-...threats-charged-with-menacing/article/1613915

I guess the reason for no news on the TW murder must be because of the gag order originally mentioned in this article.

There isn't going to be a jury trial for DN in El Paso Co, right? So I'm thinking DN's attorney's request for a gag order isn't in play any longer.

Any attorneys available to explain? TIA

moo

ETA: I'm afraid the reason for no news on TW's murder is there is no news. RIP Tim

its very sad , very ugly , just to shoot someone dead, and god knows what all else. I was looking at some pictures that were supposedly the bodies of Libby and Abby, I don't know though if they were real, but they looked real and I believe they were real.

just some images I came upon that are out there..just felt so sad. felt so helpless to know their secrets, and i felt so guilty for even looking at them or seeing them.

I hope to god we catch this freak of nature whoever he is , and if it's DN, I hope they don't let him go...I just cannot imagine them letting him go...I guess I am naive...missing the days when guys like DN would be off the streets for good, with a no nonsense judge and big grown men would see to it.

MOO

Over in the Turpin thread someone commented that the WS staff is out with the flu, and it might be a couple days before anyone can start a new thread. So maybe that's why Libby & Abby's thread hasn't been reopened.

ETA: I can't delete this post so pleas disregard the above, I believe it's inaccurate after looking further back.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...n-home-by-parents-Perris-15-Jan-2018-6/page33

There isn't going to be a jury trial for DN in El Paso Co, right? So I'm thinking DN's attorney's request for a gag order isn't in play any longer.

Any attorneys available to explain? TIA

moo

ETA: I'm afraid the reason for no news on TW's murder is there is no news. RIP Tim
I think the gag order was something to do with the supposed similarities in the murders but not positive.

I think the gag order was something to do with the supposed similarities in the murders but not positive.

From November 1.

http://gazette.com/bond-reduced-for...-herman-threats-investigation/article/1614394

Bond reduced for drifter linked to Mount Herman threats investigation

Indiana State Police previously identified Nations as a person of interest in the February killings of two teenage girls who went missing on a hiking trail in Delphi, Ind., but after traveling to Colorado as part of their investigation, authorities said they were unable to connect him to the deaths.

Nations' attorney, Jennifer Chu, asked the judge to impose a gag order in the cases against Nations after complaining that he has been linked by media accounts to crimes for which he hasn't been charged. The judge said she will review the request.

bbm

Seems it was because of excessive publicity. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members