Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHERIE -- Lanza was crafty, he could repair computers and hi tech toys, so my impression is he likely would've figured a way to break a locked gun case

And as mass murderer LE profilers have said, the typical mass murderer will stop at nothing until his grand plan of attacking innocents is fulfilled

So a locked gun case IMO would not have been much of an obstacle

Thanks for the reply. I was only stating my thoughts.

Ok. So she's guilty of not locking up her guns.

But I find it offensive to say she is at all to blame for the deaths of those children.

That's why I responded after a post insinuating she was partly to blame for the deaths.

I have steak knives in my kitchen. God forbid a family member took one and killed somebody, I would not be to blame for anything other than having steak knives in my kitchen.

That's my point.
You aren't required to register your steak knives!

Yes. The kid who never left the basement and had his mom bring him salads while he shot people up all day on video games. He would have masterminded a plan to b and e and steal an arsenal equivalent to that found in mommy's basement, unlocked. Where he basically lived.

And mom knew he wasn't quite right.

That's like saying it's okay to legalize and hand out crack and heroin because junkies will just get it anyway.

She was not a "responsible" gun owner and the way she is being defended makes me suspect that leaving weapons lying about is more the norm than the exception. And that scares the bejeezus out of me.

26 innocent people got murdered and the only response by some is to whine about publicly available information being printed in the newspaper. Which I agree that while not illegal, was disgusting and in poor taste.

But please, put it in perspective. Some of these children had half of their faces blown off. Or worse. Having your name printed in the paper is hardly the same.

MOO

BBM

How can you be so sure of that? Most criminals who shoot people up take the path of least resistance to aquire their weapons since the whole point is to not draw attention to themselves before the act is committed. Even if he knew where the type of arsenal he was looking for existed, what makes you think he would take the trouble (and the risk) of trying to get them, not knowing how they were protected. We're talking about a guy that never did that sort of thing (B & E) before. What you watch on tv isn't the same as doing the real thing.

You aren't required to register your steak knives!

And what difference does that paper do?

Doesn't change my point.

You are required to register your car. Automobile accidents take a lot of lives.

BBM

How can you be so sure of that? Most criminals who shoot people up take the path of least resistance to aquire their weapons since the whole point is to not draw attention to themselves before the act is committed. Even if he knew where the type of arsenal he was looking for existed, what makes you think he would take the trouble (and the risk) of trying to get them, not knowing how they were protected. We're talking about a guy that never did that sort of thing (B & E) before. What you watch on tv isn't the same as doing the real thing.

The gun lobby keeps repeating the mantra "criminals will always get guns", as if all criminals are infinitely clever and resourceful. In fact, the opposite is true. Criminals are for the most part stupid, lazy and incompetent.

Adam may have been clever, but he was incompetent in a lot of things. As you point out, he had no breaking and entering skills. His emotional problems aslo got in the way. Adam tried to buy a rifle at a gun shop, and didn't have the patience to complete this task. He walked away after discovering there was a waiting period.

Newtown Shooting Donations Being Spent On Mental Health Services, Lost Wages

The first of the money donated through the United Way after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School is being spent in part to meet the immediate needs of first responders, teachers and others who lost wages and may have exhausted their benefits.

The United Way of Western Connecticut said Friday that it's set up a $200,000 fund, which also is being used for youth programs and for mental health services for those affected by the shooting that left 20 students and six adults dead.

Ok. So she's guilty of not locking up her guns.

But I find it offensive to say she is at all to blame for the deaths of those children.

That's why I responded after a post insinuating she was partly to blame for the deaths.

I have steak knives in my kitchen. God forbid a family member took one and killed somebody, I would not be to blame for anything other than having steak knives in my kitchen.

That's my point.

Whether it be knives or guns, if you left a weapon accessible to someone you knew was mentally unstable, I think a very good case could be made in civil court that you carried some responsibility. I think there will be wrongful death actions filed against Nancy Lanza's estate by the families impacted by her decisions.

Managing Media Key After Newtown Massacre

The spokesman for the investigation, Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance, told Officer.com that during his close to 12 years in the position, this was one of the largest gatherings of media he has ever seen.

When the news of the incident first broke, Vance said that there were so many news helicopters flying above the school that they were lucky they didn't have to deal with an aircraft accident as well.

"They could see from the air, many things that were going on," he said. "The initial response by troopers and by Newtown officers was that we needed to get into the school and rescue as many people as possible, stop the aggression and ensure the area was safe.

"That meant taking anyone who was not recognized as being allowed in that area and identifying them. If that meant handcuffing them and detaining them until we did that, that's what happened. Many times it was misinterpreted."

Vance has served as the only spokesman for the investigation, something that he said has been key in making sure the right information gets out there.

"People knew that if they wanted the information, it was coming from one source, and that one source was myself," he said. "They knew that if any other information was coming from other sources or unnamed sources, that it could not be construed as being accurate because whenever we gave out information it would have my name attached to it and that would authenticate it as being true and accurate."

He said that the troopers served as the "umbilical cord" from the victims' families to the investigation.

"We did not want them to see or hear anything in the media or from any other source after the public had been informed," he said. "We wanted them to be on the front line and know exactly what was happening and what was going on during the entire investigation operation."

And what difference does that paper do?

Doesn't change my point.

You are required to register your car. Automobile accidents take a lot of lives.

Not only are you required to register the vehicle, most states also require insurance. You are also required to provide infants and small children safety seats when they ride in your car. It's too bad our government has to legislate what many consider to be common sense but the goal is to protect the vulnerable, not their parents.

JMO

How would steak knives have worked for AL? If only that is all he had

Yep, I'm not sure a steak knife could compare to a Bushmaster AR-15 with two 30-round ammo mags jungle taped together.

Whether it be knives or guns, if you left a weapon accessible to someone you knew was mentally unstable, I think a very good case could be made in civil court that you carried some responsibility. I think there will be wrongful death actions filed against Nancy Lanza's estate by the families impacted by her decisions.

That's horrible.
But probably so.

Yep, I'm not sure a steak knife could compare to a Bushmaster AR-15 with two 30-round ammo mags jungle taped together.

AGAIN... It was used as an example of ACCESS. I never compared the two.
AT ALL

That would be silly.

At least one witness has stated that Nancy Lunza kept her firearms unlocked in a closet.

Thanks. But considering how goofed up the reporting has been in this case, I think we need more than just one account of this story.

"Horrible" is the horrific slaughter of children in a classroom.

No civil action comes close to being that horrible.

JMO

It's horrible to crucify a victim who was shot in the face by her own son multiple times when you don't know all the facts yet.

Just because one person claims that the mom had her guns unlocked doesn't mean that's the truth. Maybe this person is speaking out because of his/her anger at the mom in the aftermath. Maybe s/he holds a grudge towards Nancy Lanza. Who really knows?

What needs to be done before you tar and feather NL is to wait for verification of facts from LE and Nancy Lanza's friends/family members.

I do not think Adam could have picked the lock if it was a gun safe. Anyone can pretty much secure their guns if they want to. No one should have access to a gun they have not registered and do not own IMO, let alone easy access. Now we know they were not locked up most of the time.

IDK, time, I think Adam was a very bright, resourceful, immature adult who would have found a way to get his hands on a gun. As another poster said, he did try to buy one himself from an arms store but just didn't want to wait for the approval of his registration.

Maybe he would have found ways to break the gun safe. He did de-magnetize his hard drive and demolish his computers. Or maybe he would have bought a gun off Craigslist or Ebay or wherever.

I think where there's a will, there is a way. Adam, despite his social issues, still managed to learn to drive and shoot guns, and apparently was quite smart in school -- until his parents' official divorce and then his grades seemed to veer off by the wayside. So he wasn't so disabled he couldn't function on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95