Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, time, I think Adam was a very bright, resourceful, immature adult who would have found a way to get his hands on a gun. As another poster said, he did try to buy one himself from an arms store but just didn't want to wait for the approval of his registration.

Maybe he would have found ways to break the gun safe. He did de-magnetize his hard drive and demolish his computers. Or maybe he would have bought a gun off Craigslist or Ebay or wherever.

I think where there's a will, there is a way. Adam, despite his social issues, still managed to learn to drive and shoot guns, and apparently was quite smart in school -- until his parents' official divorce and then his grades seemed to veer off by the wayside. So he wasn't so disabled he couldn't function on his own.

He didn't try to buy a gun. That story was debunked. It was a case of mistaken identity-somebody else tried to buy a gun. Not AL. Why would AL need to buy a gun? Considering his mother kept all kind of guns in their house.

He didn't try to buy a gun. That story was debunked. It was a case of mistaken identity-somebody else tried to buy a gun. Not AL. Why would AL need to buy a gun? Considering his mother kept all kind of guns in their house.

Are you sure? Wow, these so-called facts need to checked at every turn! I just read that he tried to buy a gun on this thread, I think even on this or the previous page!

I had wondered that myself, but had not heard that the story of AL attempting to purchase a firearm had been debunked.

What is clear is that his mother was deeply into combat firearms and best described as paranoid. The Saiga-12 shotgun found in his car trunk was designed for combat, not duck hunting or skeet shooting.

Are you sure? Wow, these so-called facts need to checked at every turn! I just read that he tried to buy a gun on this thread, I think even on this or the previous page!

Positive. There is a link somewhere on this thread.
It was a case of mistaken identity.

I had wondered that myself, but had not heard that the story of AL attempting to purchase a firearm had been debunked.

What is clear is that his mother was deeply into combat firearms and best described as paranoid. The Saiga-12 shotgun found in his car trunk was designed for combat, not duck hunting or skeet shooting.

I watched some Youtubes of the Saiga-12 in action. Dang, this sure ain't your grandaddy's shotgun. Saiga-12's are designed for high capacity ammo drums, and the trigger action is so fast that I almost thought it was fully-automatic.

With all this talk of guns and knives, I am reminded of a comment made by Veronique Pozner, mother of Noah:

“If Adam [Lanza] had shown up at Sandy Hook with a knife or a less powerful weapon, he may have harmed some people but it would not have been the mass carnage we saw."

(Original article here

I know there is nothing we can do to change what did happen but what she says does ring true. Imagine if AL went in with a gun that didn't have a high capacity clip - we might not have 20 dead children and 6 dead teaching professionals. Overall this story is just tragic. I'm sure that Nancy Lanza never dreamed her son would be capable of such violence. I'm sure she probably still had memories when he was younger - the elementary school photos that show him smiling come to my mind - and for any parent it is very hard to think that your child could ever be capable of something so evil.

Where's the link for the debunk?

Here are articles I found still posted online today. None of the articles' authors/editors have written a redaction about Adam Lanza attempting to purchase guns legally:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/ada...chase-his-own-gun-sources-say_2012-12-16.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/de...nman-tried-to-buy-rifile-days-before-20121215

Somewhere on this thread. There are lots of articles claiming he did try to purchase the gun. So obviously press takes the story and runs with it.

Somewhere on this thread. There are lots of articles claiming he did try to purchase the gun. So obviously press takes the story and runs with it.

What happened to journalistic integrity? I know the NYTimes always print retractions should they make errors in their news reporting.

That's just so wrong on so many levels. To not only disseminate inaccurate information, but not to correct it when they discover the facts. SMH

I do not think Adam could have picked the lock if it was a gun safe. Anyone can pretty much secure their guns if they want to. No one should have access to a gun they have not registered and do not own IMO, let alone easy access. Now we know they were not locked up most of the time.
it depends if the lock a a simple padlock , then strong gripper pliers could cut the lock off

If the case is a dial safe with numbered locking codes, then that's different and trickier

We don't know the condition of the gun case, maybe Lanza shot it off, having access to a handgun lying around

Who knows for sure

What happened to journalistic integrity? I know the NYTimes always print retractions should they make errors in their news reporting.

That's just so wrong on so many levels. To not only disseminate inaccurate information, but not to correct it when they discover the facts. SMH

I am not impressed with journalistic integrity either. This is the article debunking the idea that AL tried to buy a gun. Somebody thought they saw Lanza in a gun store but it wasn't him.
"Authorities visited gun shops, pawn shops and shooting ranges in the Danbury area and searched through video surveillance tapes at some of the stores. Sources said they found no evidence that Lanza had visited any gun stores last week."
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...ooting/hc-lanza-ghost-20121219,0,359337.story

Why do we still know so little about Adam Lanza? Because he lived in the cloud
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...b722ee-5f51-11e2-a389-ee565c81c565_story.html

Since Fragile X can be ruled out in Adam Lanza. I wonder what made his eyes bulge. I noticed it in every photo of him.

Thanks HOOD -- No one knows really anything about seeing Lanza or no one in Newtown, CT really wants to talk about anything about Lanza anymore

Personally, my Mother raised 8 kids by herself as a widow at the age of 42 years old and did pretty well, even with our brother who has schizo affective. Aside from some difficult days dealing with our brother acting like a spoiled brat sometimes, all of us graduated from college, paid alot of our college expenses, we always worked, and now all of us are pretty successful in being productive, caring people with our own families, 15 neices/nephews & grandchildren too

My Mom took it very seriously about our brother's disability and all of us, even relatives, looked after our brother to help our Mom...Our friends today still talk about our Mom as a Saint for all of her commitment, dedication to raising her family and guiding our brother too

So, I'm not at all blaming/judging Nancy Lanza, but the entire Lanza family really has to be looking at themselves wondering if they did enough to be there for all of the sacrifices needed to manage Adam Lanza through his life..

We even had our dad's revolvers/ammo from his days as an FBI supervisor, that looking back really were never locked up at all, but in a shoebox along with letters from J Edgar Hoover!!

it depends if the lock a a simple padlock , then strong gripper pliers could cut the lock off

If the case is a dial safe with numbered locking codes, then that's different and trickier

We don't know the condition of the gun case, maybe Lanza shot it off, having access to a handgun lying around

Who knows for sure

I agree, who knows for sure!!!!!

It has been reported by one person that the guns were not locked.

or

Perhaps they were, perhaps AL knew where the key was, or knew the combination etc for the gun storage case (if they were locked up)
IIRC and if the report was true....it stated that AL went to the shooting range on his own. So perhaps he had access to get into the locked case.

BBM

How can you be so sure of that? Most criminals who shoot people up take the path of least resistance to aquire their weapons since the whole point is to not draw attention to themselves before the act is committed. Even if he knew where the type of arsenal he was looking for existed, what makes you think he would take the trouble (and the risk) of trying to get them, not knowing how they were protected. We're talking about a guy that never did that sort of thing (B & E) before. What you watch on tv isn't the same as doing the real thing.

Thanks SLICK, Good Post -- I really believe Nancy Lanza was in real deep, way over her head, overwhelmed in dealing with her son's major anti social issues

We don't how much real help, support she had, even from neighbors, relatives pitching in to take some of the struggles, burden off of her shoulders..We just don't what kind of support/lifeline she had

We know Nancy was pretty high strung, likely from daily stress of her own MS struggles and getting her 20 year old bratty son off his butt to make something positive happen in his life

I agree, who knows for sure!!!!!

It has been reported by one person that the guns were not locked.

or

Perhaps they were, perhaps AL knew where the key was, or knew the combination etc for the gun storage case (if they were locked up)
IIRC and if the report was true....it stated that AL went to the shooting range on his own. So perhaps he had access to get into the locked case.

THANKS FLIP -- Well, Lanza had 3 days to himself in that mansion all alone for all we know...I firmly believe he found a way to get the guns, whether he hammer smashed the lock or used a drill like he did to destroy his computer...

Nancy Lanza, Gunman's Mother, Deliberately Forgotten In Newtown Memorial

This really makes me sad, I really feel for Nancy, or any parent, especially single parents, faced with the burden of raising son/daughter unwilling to abide by their parents wishes....Most folks in America have no clue about how hard it is

In this article, it's guilt by association...alot of emotions in Newtown

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/nancy-lanza-newtown-memorial_n_2344910.html

IDK, time, I think Adam was a very bright, resourceful, immature adult who would have found a way to get his hands on a gun. As another poster said, he did try to buy one himself from an arms store but just didn't want to wait for the approval of his registration.

Maybe he would have found ways to break the gun safe. He did de-magnetize his hard drive and demolish his computers. Or maybe he would have bought a gun off Craigslist or Ebay or wherever.

I think where there's a will, there is a way. Adam, despite his social issues, still managed to learn to drive and shoot guns, and apparently was quite smart in school -- until his parents' official divorce and then his grades seemed to veer off by the wayside. So he wasn't so disabled he couldn't function on his own.

I just don't think Nancy should have had guns anywhere he could get to them. She knew he had psychological/emotional problems, she knew he was fascinated with online games, she encouraged him to learn to shoot, and she had the kinds of guns no one needs in the first place.

You know I respect your opinion, I'm just tired of people being killed with others guns! I have other opinions on gun control, but there are far too many kids and such getting their parents guns. I just don't think it's right for others to have any access to a gun they do not own and did not register for. I'm not so sure Adam could have gotten a gun, but I do think he shouldn't have been left home alone for days with an arsenal in the house.

I was a single parent, I know what that is like. I never had guns in the house, but if my son or anyone else got a hold of guns I had, especially assault weapons and killed anyone with them, you can bet I would stand up and take responsibility. I think it's horrible he shot his own mother, don't get me wrong, nothing justifies that. That doesn't mean she is unaccountable though. I'd be mad as H if my children or anyone in my family were murdered with guns because someone was irresponsible like that.

I just don't think Nancy should have had guns anywhere he could get to them. She knew he had psychological/emotional problems, she knew he was fascinated with online games, she encouraged him to learn to shoot, and she had the kinds of guns no one needs in the first place.

You know I respect your opinion, I'm just tired of people being killed with others guns! I have other opinions on gun control, but there are far too many kids and such getting their parents guns. I just don't think it's right for others to have any access to a gun they do not own and did not register for. I'm not so sure Adam could have gotten a gun, but I do think he shouldn't have been left home alone for days with an arsenal in the house.

I was a single parent, I know what that is like. I never had guns in the house, but if my son or anyone else got a hold of guns I had, especially assault weapons and killed anyone with them, you can bet I would stand up and take responsibility. I think it's horrible he shot his own mother, don't get me wrong, nothing justifies that. That doesn't mean she is unaccountable though. I'd be mad as H if my children or anyone in my family were murdered with guns because someone was irresponsible like that.

I agree with you to a certain extent regarding the mom's accountability. In my moralistic mind, I always feel the parents are responsible for their children, no matter how old they are. But that is only in my mind.

However, the fact that NL taught her unstable son to shoot and then went on vacation without a caretaker to watch over him, and might or might not have left her gun safe unlocked also attests to how much she trusted him.

I think she was mistaken to trust him, given his issues. But she was his mom, and I suppose she wanted to give him the unconditional love she thought he needed because of his challenges. Sometimes parents have the best intentions, but the consequences turn out wrong anyway, as it did in AL's case.

In the end, the executions were committed by AL alone, and he was an adult who evidently knew the difference between right and wrong. So the culpability of the mass shootings is AL's alone. I think until there is proven evidence of NL's negligence in leaving her gun safe unlocked, it's unfair to condemn her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95