Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were registered in his mother name. They must of been the house somewhere and he knew the location.

I'm questioning this. What mother has a semi-automatic?. IMO

The government shut down almost all the state-operated long-term facilities stating that patients would be better served in the community setting. This was actually propaganda for the states to save money, IMO. Most severely ill patients have few family member willing to help them be treated in the community setting therefore, they receive no treatment or grossly inadequate treatment.
Think about having to medicate a 20-year-old son if he didn't want to be medicated. Mom obvious wouldn't be able to restrain him.

Also the state limits how much therapy state medicaid can cover, meaning the patient may only see the dr writing his or her prescriptions 3 or 4 times a year.

Think about how this relates to how effective the patients meds and/or therapy are. I have experienced a lot of disappointment and frustration with state-run mental health facilities.

I thought they were automatics. jmo

It's illegal to own an automatic. The handguns were purchased legally by his mother. The semi automatic rifle was found in his car according to media reports. There were also reports that shells from the rifle was found in the school. So ??? I don't know which model Glock he had so I'm not sure how many times he had to reload. The media reports said there hundreds of shells. If that's true he had to reload repeatedly.

The question I have is how did he get the guns? Since his mother knew of his mental issues why weren't they locked up where he couldn't get them? I keep our guns locked in a safe and I'm the only one who knows the combination.

She should of just had him commited. Obviously no amount of care could help him. jmo

Thats easy to say that now, but being a mother, you would try whatever you could do. It does sound like she was trying, seeing that she took a leave from her job to care for him.

She should of just had him commited. Obviously no amount of care could help him. jmo

No idea. Maybe she thought she could handle him on her own. Maybe denial. Maybe she couldn't bare the thought. Yet another question and that one might never be answered.

As a Kindergarten teacher, we have to do lockdown drills at our school. These 4 and 5 yr olds have so many questions after. We have to be careful what we say, as we do not want to terrify them. Some kids are scared during these drills, while others feel like we are playing hide and seek, but as we all know they are necessary to practice. (Which in reality is VERY sad) Im sure a few of them will hear about this on the news, or overhear adults discussing this, questions and comments will come on Monday Im sure.

I just can't shut my mind off of this subject tonight. I keep seeing my kinders faces when the news reports more from Newtown.

We have those too, and a couple weeks back we had a real lockdown, which turned out to be nothing violent. I was separate from my kids, and I just wanted to run to their classrooms, but I knew I could potentially put them in danger by showing up at their door and asking to be let in.

What struck me as odd, is that as I did the drill I just crossed my fingers and listened for gun shots. So sad that was my first expectation, but it was.

Yikes. I am glad your relative's story ended differently.

If the story is true and mom had quit her job earlier to care for him, he must have previously experience some type of severe mentally ill behavior.

Given the time (1967 I believe), it was amazing that the officer responded as he did.

My relative was an exceptionally bright person who had a closed head injury (football), a family history of mental illness and a classic break at ~19. Without the head injury, it makes me think of AL.

I also had other relatives with severe mental illnesses who were never violent, and family members who were not educated about it or in denial or both.

I'm not excusing AL or NL. I'm just seeing something a bit familiar to me, sadly.

My heart aches for those poor darlings.

But the guns reportedly are registered to the mother, not brother.

Im sure they will trace to see how and where these were purchased. Im guessing the mother did not purchase them, and the son purchased them with the moms id and credit card.

There you have it! Now that makes absolute sense as to why he may have possibly had his brother's ID on him! Thanks GS. I'm going to keep this in the back of my mind for sure!
But then the guns would have been registered to the brother, right? I don't know... just reflecting...

It's very hard to commit anyone now days.

In SC you need a Dr. and a probate judge. They won't just commit someone based on another person's testimony. It's a serious undertaking.
Also he was an adult, so that alone complicates things.

That mother lost a daughter today! That grandmother found out her grandson killed her along with many others, most if them small children.

Some [unusual person] actually contaced this poor woman for comment?

I am appalled.

did he reload?
how many bullets in handguns?

If its true he fired up to 100 rounds, he either had many clips preloaded or he had a few of the bigger clips that can hold up to 30 rounds each, which would mean he would have had about 4 of those.

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There you have it! Now that makes absolute sense as to why he may have possibly had his brother's ID on him! Thanks GS. I'm going to keep this in the back of my mind for sure!

I am pretty sure even when buying ammo there has to be a record kept???

I can't remember the rules... but CT is strict so I would hope there is a record.
I am in GA but my dad worked in a few firearm and gun range places after
retirement... I'm going to ask him.

eta: NOPE! they can even be purchased online!
"Connecticut does not regulate ammunition sales..."
here is the law!
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0390.htm

Just stating the law... no discussion!

If only it were that easy.

DH has a client whose mother was trying to get him an inpatient bed for months, as he became more and more violently agressive.. "sorry no beds" was what she heard everywhere.. until? He almost killed his caseworker then magically they had all kinds of beds and money to throw at him. :banghead:

In the last week he's had a coworker have a broken nose,another beaten bloody, others bit scratched and kicked, and what happens at the end of the day? Those kids go back to school the next day, and they go home because the system has no "place" for them.

And now dh, and the majority of his kids will have to deal with all of that plus the giant stigma of "autism=violent killer" that is going to permeate for the next little while and going to make their outings/school days hell. :furious:

I do believe the guns were purchased by the mother legally. I do not believe they were bought for her son (subject to change). Maybe she liked to collect guns (I don't personally understand that hobby)? The type of guns are questionable for all intents and purposes, but... I just don't know??

Im sure they will trace to see how and where these were purchased. Im guessing the mother did not purchase them, and the son purchased them with the moms id and credit card.

He couldn't have used his mother's id for a handgun. You have to get the paperwork from your sheriff. After you fill out the application it takes 30 to 60 days to get a permit. (That's the way it is here, not sure if it varies by state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member