Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a free country, she can buy or own what she wants to own.
It was her responsibility to maintain her weapons and keep them in a safe place.
We do not know the specifics on how they got in the hands of her son who was under age.

JMO

yes, everyone has the right to own guns, Kids have the right to go to school and feel safe,

I think there should be a change in how they get them.

1. If you apply for a gun, everyone in the household must be checked
( I would not want my husband to buy a gun and bring it in the house
without me knowing.) address must be checked thoroughly by electric,
Phone, or cable.
2. If anyone in the house have been diagnosed with a mental illness,
need to have doctors permission to own a gun.
3. No guns or ammo should be able to be bought over the internet.
4. If you have kids in the house, A mandatory class on how to keep kids
safe with guns.

This has just got to stop

My thought and prayers are with the family at this time

There is a thread on Gun Control- please use it.

As for disparaging remarks about the mother- stop, please.

I am really sorry if I offended you about my comments on the mother. I was just speculating on whether there was a direct link to the mother-son relationship. I am a sociologist and my area of study is substance abuse. I have found that many people with mental illness use substances to help but it can cause moodiness, impatience and for parents inconsistently affectionate and stern. I was not trying to disparage her memory just speculating. I apologize if I offended anyone.

The media has allot of mis info. l will wait for LE tells us who owned the guns and what really happened........

The children were not targeted at the Murrah Federal Building. Here, the children were the specific targets. Don't mix apples and oranges.

Ok fine so child killers ONLY use guns, bombs are ONLY used when NOT targeting children - fine, I'm sure that's 100% accurate and without a gun the killer would have been SOL because the only thing he could use to kill kids was somehow not in existence.

Now can we please go back to talking about the facts of the case and stop trying to score points off others over the bodies of these poor victims?

How do we know if there was good gun control or not? They may have been locked in a gun safe. He may have overpowered her to get access to the guns.

In Switzerland all people in the armed forces must have their weapons with them at all times when out and about. And Switzerland has the lowest murder rate in the world. Go figure that please???

I am speculating here, and maybe jumping too far ahead, but I believe this school will never open again. That saddens me, because it only compounds the lasting devastation to this community. But I just don't see how it would be possible to ever have classes there again because of the severe trauma. Which means that not only are the hundreds of other students there impacted emotionally even as survivors, but now they will most likely be uprooted as they struggle for a new normalcy. The damage is so far-reaching, it takes my breath away.

I also do not believe the school should open again and like you, I am not sure if it is too soon to talk about this, but it has been eating at me all night. To send these children... any child... back to this school would be a crime. A real life Boogie Man entered Sandy Hook Elementary School yesterday and carried out the worst attack on U.S. soil since 9/11. I do not compare this event with 9/11 lightly, but if this isn't homegrown terrorism, then I don't know what is? AL has rocked a nation... a world... to it's core.

I do believe there is a difference between a shooter being a fellow classmate vs. what we seen yesterday. I understand why Columbine and other schools where a fellow classmate was the shooter reopened. But, like the Amish school shooting in Lancaster, PA, pure evil entered Sandy Hook Elementary School yesterday. Like the Amish, I believe the school should be destroyed. Other area school's can bring in trailer's for the remainder of the year until they can build a new school or they find a building and the proper modifications are made to create a new school.

MOO

Any responsible gun owner would make it impossible for anyone else access them.imo

I agree whole hardheartedly, I stated last night in appropriate thread that I would have a hard time accessing them myself if I needed them ASAP This is the choice I choose to live with knowing I have little ones at home.

Ok fine so child killers ONLY use guns, bombs are ONLY used when NOT targeting children - fine, I'm sure that's 100% accurate and without a gun the killer would have been SOL because the only thing he could use to kill kids was somehow not in existence.

Now can we please go back to talking about the facts of the case and stop trying to score points off others over the bodies of these poor victims?
Central to the question of preventing these disasters in the future is the question of what allowed them in the present.

All for more links on this specific matter in Newtown. Have provided several today. Haven't seen too many others.

Would like to have a forum/thread for brainstorming possible solutions to the increasing problem of school children being under fire. Not really about 'gun control' because personally I don't think gun control would make a bit of difference. Am wanting to see the our members come together and work on ideas for improved security that won't cost a fortune because I don't think the $$ would be available. I have some ideas and am sure others do to. Members of this forum are brilliant and certainly we can find solutions!

The Associated Press ‏@AP
Conn. police find `very good evidence' as they search for motive in deadly school rampage: http://apne.ws/Y5napH -CJ #Newtown
Good lengthy AP article though what constitutes "very good evidence" is not conveyed.

Lt. Vance did say at the presser that he'd try to have another today. Appears CT State Police well in control and doing good job.

Here's the relevant part of the AP article:
Asked at a news conference whether Lanza had left any emails or other writings that might explain the rampage, state police Lt. Paul Vance said investigators had found "very good evidence" and hoped it would answer questions about the gunman's motives. Vance would not elaborate.

Me too. That's why I was assuming that initial reports that his mother was or had been a teacher there were true - that he for whatever reason targeted his mother's class and classroom. I wonder if he went to grade school there - haven't seen this, though I may have missed it - and if something traumatic, or by which he later felt traumatized, happened in a particular area of the building.

I am speculating more here....because after prayer that is all I can do. I am wondering if in his irrational sick thinking, he was eliminating the youngest because that is where he felt it started for him - in kindergarten, when it may have first become apparent that something was different about him. Of course there is no rationale that makes sense, but trying to do the psychological forensics on this can help process this tragedy. No doubt that is best left in the hands of the experts I know.

Kimster closed the Parking Lot thread when she signed off last night. She said it could be re-opened, which it does need to be, please.

It's open again. Be respectful to your fellow posters in there please. I guarantee that some of our members - your friends - will not agree with your point of view.

Would like to have a forum/thread for brainstorming possible solutions to the increasing problem of school children being under fire. Not really about 'gun control' because personally I don't think gun control would make a bit of difference. Am wanting to see the our members come together and work on ideas for improved security that won't cost a fortune because I don't think the $$ would be available. I have some ideas and am sure others do to. Members of this forum are brilliant and certainly we can find solutions!

The money would be there if the Superindendant's and School Board members didn't make such ridiculous money. They not only pay themselves too much money, but they overspend way too much. We need to start demanding that they get paid a reasonable salary and that more emphasis and money goes into our school's safety. Kimster stated yesterday that, in her own school district, they have completely taken resource officer's out of schools because of the "budget." Unacceptable to me.

None of these School Board members or the Superintendant were in that school yesterday hiding little children in cabinets, closets, etc... Yet the men and women who will jump in front of bullets for our children (teachers) get not even close to half of what they pay themselves. Unacceptable to me.

We, as a nation, have a lot of soul searching to do. We have to come together and get this right for our children. Not only for their safety, but for their education.

MOO

This guy was said to attend high school with a briefcase instead of backpack. Does anyone remember another killer doing the same thing? It sounds so familiar.

I'm catching up from last night but it was said Jeffrey Dahmer went to school with a briefcase which hid his alcohol.

I believe it was said on 20/20 but it could be elsewhere, that he returned to the grade school he previously attended.

I wonder if the school psychologist, that was nearing retirement, was one that would have worked with Adam while he attended that school.

Almost everyone has a cell phone.
This means that almost all cell phones have a camera right?

Or tablets or some sort of social media access device that is portable right?

What I think would be good is for the LE to host a database where anyone
who even remotely suspects someone of saying or doing a criminal act can submit video or audio of the person either saying or hinting or looking suspicious.
It would be a private or anonymous submission so that way the LE/FBI etc could at least have some people on file for some sort of activity which may or may not amount to anything?
Even FB and other threats would be good to have a good LE look at to maybe keep such things from happening?
Sure I know, some people would report anybody for anything right?
But then some would only report serious threats made by people. maybe with some screening device before submitting something?
Not sure but social media has to be involved more to prevent such killings..:twocents:

we all never know when someone decides to snap in a public setting..
I sure do not want to be there when it happens..:twocents:

The parents should have been allowed to see their children, hold them, say good bye. What difference does it make what happened to each individual child? They were all shot by the one person who had the gun - AL. If I were one of those parents, I would not have been held back, I'd be in jail. My arms would have ached, my eyes would have desired to see my child. WTF

My opinion only
I understand what you are saying and am in agreement that it is horribly sad that the parents of the deceased children didn't get to hold their child.

But LE has a reason for processing the scene. One reason is so that the information gleaned will be analyzed and looked at to determine if there is anything schools can do to keep children safer. They need to see who was in the room, etc.

I only understand the reason for processing the scene because I went to a workshop, and the 2 presenters were 2 of the first responders on the scene at the Columbine shooting. I came away with a much better understanding of why it is important that parents, volunteers, etc. sign in before entering a school. Believe it or not...some parents are offended when asked to sign in. I've seen it happen. I've also seen parents try to sneak past a school office because they know they wouldn't be allowed in otherwise. Majority of parents do what is right...but a few are different.

It's a tragedy they didn't get to hold their deceased children, but hopefully something will be learned to help other schools initiate safety measures and to help LE when they enter a school where a shooting, etc. is taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman221