Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gngr~snap
I heard what he said at the press conference.
I wish I could find a transcript somewhere!

It was the way he worded it that made it
very clear how he had done it to me.

I'd don't want to paraphrase...
I'd rather link... but it was something like
the killer (did it in such a way that there was no chance
he would be "recoverable")

After hearing that I am pretty sure how he did it
but it is just MOO
I will spare ya the gory details.

Didn't he say something like he put the gun to his head in an anatomically correct position and shot himself once at point blank range. Or something like that?

Yes he did.

bbm... THAT is the exact word! :puke:
Makes me sick thinking about it.

My son told me that his teacher did everything backward today. She shut the classroom door and made them leave the bathroom door open when they weren't using it. Usually it's the other way around. I think everyone is watching their surroundings.
The superintendent made a recorded message played on the phone to every student household in our district. Any remaining Christmas programs and parties held on school grounds this year will be limited to having parents, stepparents, and siblings attend only. I can understand them not wanting a lot of extra people in the buildings for any reason right now.

"They did everything backward today." Bless his heart. I love the way kids interpret things.

I am actually a little upset the way they said things to my daughter at school. When I went to pick her up on Fri I was upset and when she asked why I told her a bad man had hurt little kids around her age at a school. She asked some questions and I answered them. I told her the bad man was gone and wouldn't be able to hurt her. I told her if anything ever happened at her school to listen to her teacher and follow her instructions. Somehow the gun debate came up and my daughters teacher decided to tell the kids guns were bad, now my daughter has never seen guns, but she does know her dad (my ex) was in the Army. I still keep pictures of him up in her room and of course he has them up at his house. I have always told her to be proud of her daddy he fought for this country. He has had some issues with PTSD and has had to go through treatment which has taken him away from her. They have been rebuilding and it has been going really well until tonight when she told me her daddy was a bad man because he used guns to kill people. It has been a melt down here for a couple hours. I know her teacher didn't mean to do it, but why couldn't she have added that some good guys use guns like police and military? We no longer live in a military town, but still I was upset and felt like it is common sense. I am one of those people who loves teachers, but in this situation I wish the teacher would have either let it be or not said bad guys use guns to hurt people without adding sometimes good guys use them too.

I agree that NL was doing everything to help her child but was overwhelmed by his issues .. I have a feeling however as more information comes to light we will see that he was deeply disturbed and way past anything that a few friends or parenting could have done to help. The picture of him with the gaunt face and staring eyes is someone in the throws of deep mental disturbance if you ask me. Almost instantly recognisable and sends chills straight through you.

Says who? There is nothing that indicates she did much of anything to help what must have been a severely, emotionally disturbed individual. Nothing has been released to suggest he was receiving mental healthcare, past or present. There is nothing to indicate that she was doing something or doing nothing at all. Simply put, we just do not know. We do, however, know that there were massive amounts of weaponry in a house with someone who may or may not have shown outward signs of mental instability, before he killed his mother than killed children with the guns she purchased.

Why? Is my big question on that. From a general understanding of her background, her marriage, the town of Newtown, and her interests gun collecting seems out of character. Like, she doesn't fit the profile of that.

It is possible that she simply thought AL peculiar. Before Asperger's and Autism and ADHD there was what we long considered "the weird kid" in classes. They were the eccentric ones, the strange ones. Obviously being able to diagnose these kids is helping immensely and leading them towards more fulfilling lives, but it is possible that NL simply thought AL was just strange...

Mikki's school had a drill today. I knew about it because I have a friend who lives by the school. She said they had to RUN all the way to the corner. (This was after gym!). Her teacher lives down the street from me, another teacher lives across from my friend who saw the kids 'practicing'. I feel comfortable that my kids' school (and my neighbors) love my kids - and will look out for them.

IMO, the issue here is mental illness. People want to tiptoe around the issue - more gun regulation, more safety at schools etc. - The truth is, we need to watch out for each other. If someone has a severe mental illness, it needs to be addressed - if not by the family or the community, then legislatively.

IMO, severe mental illness (I'm not talking ASD) is a public health issue.

Where I grew up - Lima, OH - there was a facility there for the criminally insane - we knew there were people that were criminals, but insane - this was explained to us at a young age.

I could go on, but I won't :censored:

jmo

Yikes, so young to even try to understand this, heck, I don't even fully understand all this. Do you agree with your sons teacher talking about this. I teach kindergarten, I overheard a couple of students talking about this issue. One stated during play time that he was going to shoot the class, the other responded with "just the crazy guy who shoots kids". I pulled these 2 kids aside and talked to them about this. We talked about our rule of not using guns in our play time, even pretend ones. We talked about "the crazy guy" as they called him, that he died too and that he will never ever hurt anyone again. Im not sure I want to talk about this issue to the whole class, as I feel it is opening up a can of worms that will put worries about safety into these young peanuts. I feel they are too young to discuss and understand this. Anyone else have ideas?

Are you in CT?

I taught Kdg and PreK for over 30 yrs and, IMO, you handled this very well. I would have done the same. Whenever we had lockdown drills or even fire drills, I always referred to them as "safety drills", because I didn't want the children to be anxious.

I am wondering if AL was in treatment for his 'condition' why the doctor or health care person has not come forward with information. jmo
The Office for Civil Rights enforces the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which protects the privacy of individually identifiable health information EVEN AFTER THE PATIENT'S DEATH.

From Nancy Grace's show (i know, I know. lol)

Richard Novia (the head of security until 2008 at Newton High School): Aspergers was part of it and there were other mental disorders that he (the killer) dealt with. I interacted with that boy for several years. I can testify to this.

I wonder why the head of security was interacting with the killer when he was a student.

It is totally mystifying.

CNN spoke to some of his moms freinds and one indicated he was such a strict vegan..he didn't think something should have to die for him to eat. That floored me because it us totally incongruous with someone capable of gunning down children.

I have actually met plenty of extreme animal rights activists who have stated they'd rather people get shot and killed than animals.

I am actually a little upset the way they said things to my daughter at school. When I went to pick her up on Fri I was upset and when she asked why I told her a bad man had hurt little kids around her age at a school. She asked some questions and I answered them. I told her the bad man was gone and wouldn't be able to hurt her. I told her if anything ever happened at her school to listen to her teacher and follow her instructions. Somehow the gun debate came up and my daughters teacher decided to tell the kids guns were bad, now my daughter has never seen guns, but she does know her dad (my ex) was in the Army. I still keep pictures of him up in her room and of course he has them up at his house. I have always told her to be proud of her daddy he fought for this country. He has had some issues with PTSD and has had to go through treatment which has taken him away from her. They have been rebuilding and it has been going really well until tonight when she told me her daddy was a bad man because he used guns to kill people. It has been a melt down here for a couple hours. I know her teacher didn't mean to do it, but why couldn't she have added that some good guys use guns like police and military? We no longer live in a military town, but still I was upset and felt like it is common sense. I am one of those people who loves teachers, but in this situation I wish the teacher would have either let it be or not said bad guys use guns to hurt people without adding sometimes good guys use them too.

I can understand why you are upset. I didn't want to bring up the gun issue at all, but we have always had a rule that we do not use guns, we do not bring in toy guns and we do not use pretend guns...the rule is NO GUNS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL. Many of my students have dad's that have hunting rifles as they go deer hunting. I cannot tell them that guns are bad, as their dads have them, as do police officers.

There is a link on that site to sign a petition for the Medal of Freedom for Vicki Soto

Great article. I live in NM and while driving this morning, I learned one of the children killed had just moved from Rio Rancho to CT. They are having a vigil there tonight for her and the others.

I agree that NL was doing everything to help her child but was overwhelmed by his issues .. I have a feeling however as more information comes to light we will see that he was deeply disturbed and way past anything that a few friends or parenting could have done to help. The picture of him with the gaunt face and staring eyes is someone in the throws of deep mental disturbance if you ask me. Almost instantly recognisable and sends chills straight through you.

This may sound really corn-ball goofy, My Dad, who's ex FBI in the 1950-60 era, told us once that he heard this from NY crime family members

If someone stares at you, just staring, nothing else, for a long period of time, it's usually they either want to have sexual relations with you or want to harm you...

Sounds scary, but we took Dad's word for it as a trait to recognize in people...LOL

From Nancy Grace's show (i know, I know. lol)

Richard Novia (the head of security until 2008 at Newton High School): Aspergers was part of it and there were other mental disorders that he (the killer) dealt with. I interacted with that boy for several years. I can testify to this.

I wonder why the head of security was interacting with the killer when he was a student.
there is a link earlier in the thread somewhere that has this guy quoted as saying they were asked to keep an eye out on him; (paraphrased) not that they worried what he would do but what others could do to him.. :twocents:

IMO, the issue here is mental illness. People want to tiptoe around the issue - more gun regulation, more safety at schools etc. - The truth is, we need to watch out for each other. If someone has a severe mental illness, it needs to be addressed - if not by the family or the community, then legislatively.

IMO, severe mental illness (I'm not talking ASD) is a public health issue.

Where I grew up - Lima, OH - there was a facility there for the criminally insane - we knew there were people that were criminals, but insane - this was explained to us at a young age.

There are still facilities for criminally insane people. But you have to commit a crime to be sent to such a facility. That's how it is determined that you're criminally insane.

As far as we know, Adam Lanza had no criminal record. The most anyone could do is commit him to a hospital for 72 hours if they could demonstrate that he was a danger to himself or others. It will be interesting to find out whether anyone ever tried this, though.

It was inappropriate for that teacher to essentially attempt to sway tiny children to her political point of view. Should this teacher have tried to sway your daughter's feelings about religion, she would be disciplined or fired. You might think about approaching her and politely asking her to refrain from scaring your daughter about men with guns (which happen to include our brave servicemen and policemen that wanted to rescue the children on last Friday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper