Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I realize that caretakers really NEED that time away, it also bothers me that he was left alone. Even if she fixed his meals and he could put them in the microwave, you can STILL get burned by a microwave..(i have done it plenty of times.)

I really doubt that anyone came to check on him, they didn't allow anyone inside their home, did they?

He was a 20 year old adult male. Was somebody going to babysit him all his life? And I don't believe for a minute she was going to put him into any facility.
That story is complete hearsay with no evidence to support it.

Adam may have had Aspergers, but from reading all the descriptions of his behavior he had to be mentally ill and personality disordered. I can't imagine anyone, regardless of the disorder, demanding his mom to sleep on the floor outside his room. If he was that ill with flu or whatever maybe he should have been in the hospital, and I can't imagine any therapist ever telling her to give in to his whims like that.

If he did have Aspergers, it was the least of his worries, imo. I think he had a much more complex list of 'disorders' than Aspergers. JMO

I have a very good friend who has devoted his life to special needs students. He helped shape the policy for Autistic students in our school district. He is very upset the way Aspergers is being blamed in this case. He has worked with hundreds of kids with emotional disorders and mental disabilities, and he claims that Aspergers is one of the least violent disorders among the kids he has taught. He contends that the vast majority could care less about harming a room full of kids. They are generally more focused upon their own tiny world and perhaps those whom intrude upon it. But he does not see the premeditated mission of this violent plan being done by an Asperger patient. He feels it is
much more complicated diagnosis than that.

Yes. Violent video games and television shows are NOT allowed in psychiatric hospitals or residential facilities. Residents are also required to participate in individual therapy and group therapy. They are closely monitored and do not have any privacy. Their roommate would also be chosen for them.

Axxx would not like a private psychiatric residential facility.

The only story we have about NL trying to put him into residential facility is hearsay and comes from someone who claims somebody told it to him-but didn't even say who told it to him.
So there is nothing to support that story.

Is SmoothOperator reading now?
Hi! When you looked up all the addresses of the schools near the killer's home, were there other schools closer to his home? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to read back through 400 posts.) tia

If he did have Aspergers, it was the least of his worries, imo. I think he had a much more complex list of 'disorders' than Aspergers. JMO

I have a very good friend who has devoted his life to special needs students. He helped shape the policy for Autistic students in our school district. He is very upset the way Aspergers is being blamed in this case. He has worked with hundreds of kids with emotional disorders and mental disabilities, and he claims that Aspergers is one of the least violent disorders among the kids he has taught. He contends that the vast majority could care less about harming a room full of kids. They are generally more focused upon their own tiny world and perhaps those whom intrude upon it. But he does not see the premeditated mission of this violent plan being done by an Asperger patient. He feels it is

Why does everyone expect some diagnosis to explain why he did it?

Oh, wow. Great conclusion, you guys! If he attended that school, they would be called to testify in his competency hearing. That would be why he chose THAT school.

I wonder if he found an email or correspondence Mom had with the school... maybe raving about the first graders, and if she could bring some paperwork by to apply for conservatorship... interesting idea/

Kinda O/T: We got our School Reach call that our district is shutting down tomorrow and Friday. Due to security risks, paranoia, and rumors, as well as the one week anniversary of the shootings, they don't feel that holding school would be appropriate.

I was so relieved I burst into tears in the middle of my living room listening to the recording.
understandably. Terrorism home grown variety. The entire nation is reeling.

This is true. Yes, Asperger patients are prone to fits and meltdowns, but not like this. This was a premeditated plan to dismantle an entire community. There is something much, must deeper going on than Aspergers.

It should also be noted that a lot of these meltdowns for Asperger patients tend to dissipate the older they get, they don't get worse. For most Asperger kids who are put into the right programs they learn coping mechanisms and, while never "normal", tend to function in society for the most part.. AL had something much more serious going on...

Sounds like, from what people are saying about him, that Borderline Personality Disorder might be at play, although that's just my opinion.

The only story we have about NL trying to put him into residential facility is hearsay and comes from someone who claims somebody told it to him-but didn't even say who told it to him.
So there is nothing to support that story.

Another neighbor, in addition to the man to whom you are referring, told Fox News that Nancy was investigating involuntary placement because she couldn't handle AXXX anymore.

A senior law enforcement official involved in the investigation confirmed that Lanza's anger at his mother over plans for “his future mental health treatment” is being looked at as a possible motive for the deadly shooting.

The Washington Post reported that the distraught mother had considered moving with her son to Washington state, where she had found a school she thought could help him. Either way, according to Flashman, Nancy Lanza was at her wit's end.

A separate neighborhood source also told FoxNews.com that Nancy Lanza had come to the realization she could no longer handle her son alone. She was caring for him full-time, but told friends she needed help. She was planning to have him involuntarily hospitalized, according to the source, who did not know if she had taken formal steps.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...sed-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FYhoCmix

Hospitalization wouldn't permanently solve Nancy's problems with her adult son, so I think the use of that word in the above sentence is incorrect. I'd bet she was looking to involuntarily place him in a residential facility (long term or permanent solution).

Aspergers is a form of autism. Psychiatrists are still learning and researching. I believe in the DSM 4 it is a separate diagnosis but psychiatrists are trying to have it be classified as "autism" and group it all together. I am not blaming the event on Aspergers but can see where the symptomology could have played a part in the event. I believe there are alot of psychosocial issues involved. I think we are all tryiing to understand the forensic psychology involved in this case. For me, it is so I can better understand how and why something so terrible could have occurred.

<modsnip> Yes, he shot a school full of children. But there definitely was something going on in that home. He was 20 and had Aspergers. What we know about brain development now is that the brain is not fully developed until 26. Especially, in cognitive development and the ability to reason. That coupled with Aspergers and difficulty with empathy and social anxiety makes this a difficult mix. Once again, he was 20 wth Aspergers. I can empathize with the family. I can even offer forgiveness. "There but for the grace of God goes I. "

I agree... and, perhaps emotionally he was not 20. Everyone does not become a man just because they reach a certain age.

But but but......background checks and waiting periods??!!! I've been told it is just not possible to get an assault rifle without thorough checks.

Background checks do not apply at gun shows. Anyone can purchase a weapon with no information checked out! Now where the you know what did that idea come from!?

This is true. Yes, Asperger patients are prone to fits and meltdowns, but not like this. This was a premeditated plan to dismantle an entire community. There is something much, must deeper going on than Aspergers.

It should also be noted that a lot of these meltdowns for Asperger patients tend to dissipate the older they get, they don't get worse. For most Asperger kids who are put into the right programs they learn coping mechanisms and, while never "normal", tend to function in society for the most part.. AL had something much more serious going on...

Sounds like, from what people are saying about him, that Borderline Personality Disorder might be at play, although that's just my opinion.

I love your name "newlyminted" I am an old dirty penny. LOL

Another neighbor, in addition to the man to whom you are referring, told Fox News that Nancy was investigating involuntary placement because she couldn't handle AXXX anymore.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...sed-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FYhoCmix

Hospitalization wouldn't permanently solve Nancy's problems with her adult son, so I think the usage of that word in the above sentence is incorrect. I'd bet she was looking to involuntarily place him in a residential facility.

So now we have an unnamed neighbor in addition to the guy who claims somebody told it to him but won't say who.

Why does everyone expect some diagnosis to explain why he did it?

I think because the initial 'diagnosis' makes no sense. If he had said his brother is a paranoid schizophrenic with border line Personality disorder, then it would make some sense. But Aspies do not usually premeditate and carry out violent massacres.

Persoanlly, I believe AL knew right from wrong, the crime was planned out

I have no clue what mental illness this guy had. I'm no mental health expert. But experts told our family regarding our brother many serious disorders share similar traits...Here's an example of some traits AL had

People with schizoid personality disorder are loners. If you have this condition, you're likely to:

Prefer being alone and usually choose solitary activities
Prize independence and have few close friendships
Feel confused about how to respond to normal social cues and generally have little to say
Lack any desire for sexual relationships
Feel unable to experience pleasure
Come off as dull, indifferent or emotionally cold
Feel unmotivated and tend to underperform at school or work
Consistently play the role of a follower rather than a leader
Some of these tendencies may have first become noticeable during your childhood.

If you have schizoid personality disorder, you may not know how to form friendships, or you may feel too anxious around other people to try, so you simply give up and turn inward.

The schizophrenic spectrum
Schizoid personality disorder is considered part of the "schizophrenic spectrum" of disorders, which includes schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia. These conditions all have similar symptoms, such as a severely limited ability to make social connections along with a lack of emotional expression. The main distinction is that &#8212; unlike schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia &#8212; people with schizoid personality disorder are in touch with reality. If you have schizoid personality disorder, you're unlikely to experience paranoia or hallucinations.

In addition, schizoid personality disorder isn't marked by odd speech. Although your tone may not be animated, what you say makes sense. In contrast, the conversational patterns of people with schizotypal personality disorder are typically strange and hard to follow.

So now we have an unnamed neighbor in addition to the guy who claims somebody told it to him but won't say who.

But wouldn't it make sense that she would be looking for some place for him to go? She was ill herself with something that might get worse over time. She told others that he was drifting away out of reach. And she was failing in trying to reach him. Also it was reported that she had gone to a psychiatrist for some help and advice. So I think common sense tells us that she would be looking into alternative care for her son. JMO

But wouldn't it make sense that she would be looking for some place for him to go? She was ill herself with something that might get worse over time. She told others that he was drifting away out of reach. And she was failing in trying to reach him. Also it was reported that she had gone to a psychiatrist for some help and advice. So I think common sense tells us that she would be looking into alternative care for her son. JMO

So, according to that theory she wanted to have him committed? Yet she would leave him alone to go on "mini-vacations?" And in the house full of guns? How does that add up?

I read this from the MAYO CLINIC diagnosis for Aspergers, thought some of you might like to understand this more

Asperger's syndrome symptoms include:

Engaging in one-sided, long-winded conversations, without noticing if the listener is listening or trying to change the subject
Displaying unusual nonverbal communication, such as lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, or awkward body postures and gestures
Showing an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects, such as baseball statistics, train schedules, weather or snakes
Appearing not to understand, empathize with or be sensitive to others' feelings
Having a hard time "reading" other people or understanding humor
Speaking in a voice that is monotonous, rigid or unusually fast
Moving clumsily, with poor coordination
Unlike children with more-severe forms of autism spectrum disorders, those with Asperger's syndrome usually don't have delays in the development of language skills. That means your child will use single words by the age of 2 and phrases by the time he or she is 3 years old. But, children with Asperger's syndrome may have difficulties holding normal conversations. Conversations may feel awkward and lack the usual give and take of normal social interactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove