Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too! We own a 70 seat restaurant in So. California, keeping people coming in the door is always a struggle. If people decide to not go out to eat, we're in real trouble.
“As long as it mostly stayed in China I felt like some here still do. But it’s spread pretty fast despite our pandemic response system. That’s concerning. Plus all the statements from epidemiologists, experts from the WHO, etc.

Still it’s very low in the US. I can only hope it stays that way.” ]

That’s scary! I wonder if things got bad if you put up signs stating that high standards for hygiene are being employed. I’m not sure how to do it but I would go to a restaurant that assures me that sick employees can’t come in and strict hand washing and disinfecting is mandated.

New York City doctor says he has to 'plead to test people' for coronavirus

Hospitals across the U.S. are unprepared to identify and treat the new coronavirus, which has begun to spread across the country, New York City-based physician and author Dr. Matt McCarthy said Monday.

“Before I came here this morning, I was in the emergency room seeing patients. I still do not have a rapid diagnostic test available to me.”

McCarthy pointed to problems identified with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s diagnostic tests for the virus.

The CDC sent test kits earlier in the outbreak to public health labs around the country, but those kits were problematic and potentially inaccurate, CDC officials have since said. Because local clinicians can’t depend on the test kits, some have had to ship samples to a laboratory with the ability to run the tests, delaying the process of diagnosis and treatment.

McCarthy, a staff physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, says he still does not have access to test kits.

The team at New York-Presbyterian Hospital are isolating suspected coronavirus patients and taking proper precautions to prevent the spread, McCarthy said, but “they’re hamstrung.”

“In New York state, the person who tested positive is only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state,” he said. “That is a national scandal.”

That’s scary! I wonder if things got bad if you put up signs stating that high standards for hygiene are being employed. I’m not sure how to do it but I would go to a restaurant that assures me that sick employees can’t come in and strict hand washing and disinfecting is mandated.
on this note : I went and got my morning Starbucks this morning ( my hubby says that will end when we have local cases, I'm going to flip the hell out to put it politely) and I sure hope KALI 's place does not lose business but to answer YES if I knew that employees were not made to come to work sick it would help tremendously , my comment to hubby this morning was "NO I do not want to go to McDonald's , Starbucks is the only place I trust not to make sick people work!"

The coronavirus mystery: Doctors are baffled by children's resistance to the virus while cases climb - as police are set to be given powers to ARREST those at risk of spreading COVID-19 - Australia News

Professor Robert Booy from the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance said children abroad only seemed to suffer mild symptoms, ABC reported.

'Those children who did contract the virus overseas have only had mild symptoms such as fever and upper respiratory symptoms,' he said.

'In adults, they are reacting quite violently because perhaps they have seen a previous coronavirus infection and that's set up the immune system to react inappropriately and excessively.'

Coronavirus mystery: Doctors are baffled by children's 'immunity' to the worst of the virus | Daily Mail Online

The business world will survive just fine. Keep in mind, the stock market is not representative of the US economy.

The Stock Market is legalized gambling for rich people.

I've always remembered that.

Yet, I have friends that sell their mutual funds when the market tanks and buy more when it is booming away...

CDC Announcements and Events
CDC Media Telebriefing: Update on COVID-19
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will provide an update to media on the COVID-19 response.

Monday, March 2, 2020, 12:00 p.m. ET

Dial-In:
Media:
800-857-9756
International: 1-212-287-1647
PASSCODE: CDC MEDIA

Non-Media: 888-795-0855

CDC Newsroom

Watching the LIVE Presser with Cuomo and DeBlasi - message loud and clear is that ANY NYer who needs care will get care even if they can't afford it or aren't legal and are afraid and if they don't know where to go or how to get care to CALL 311. This is the only way to reduce the spread.

Regarding NYC:

"Dr. Matt McCarthy: NY Presbyterian Hospital on Coronavirus: 'We are not testing at full capacity and that is a national scandal.' 'We're being told that things are ok ... That's just not the way we're talking about it in medical circles.'"

Heidi Przybyla on Twitter
Twitter account: Heidi Przybyla @HeidiNBC
NBC News Correspondent covering politics/government ethics

Reassuring words. IMO

Manhattan Woman, 39, Is NYC’s 1st COVID-19 Case; Husband’s Test Results Are Pending

Cuomo said Monday that New York had "been through this rodeo before" with other viral outbreaks, and pointed out that the common flu poses a more widespread threat than COVID-19.

"When you look at the reality here, about 80 percent of people infected with coronavirus self-resolve," the governor added. As for some who may lean toward panic in this time, Cuomo said, "I'm a native New Yorker, we live with anxiety, but the facts don't back it up."

De Blasio echoed Cuomo's sentiments.

"The message to New Yorkers from the beginning is this is something we can handle. Go about your lives, go about your business," he said. "Our health authorities have been in a state of high alert for weeks, and we are fully prepared to respond. We will continue to ensure New Yorkers have the facts and resources they need to protect themselves."

But be smart, de Blasio added. Anyone with symptoms who has had some nexus to the outbreak, whether through travel to an affected country or other means, should act accordingly and protectively.

Was giving thought to the fact that it appears a very high percentage of individuals that get infected have relatively minor symptoms and recover at home. If that percentage is high enough, this virus may be its own worst enemy.

The extremely rapid spread could result in it burning itself out. Depending on how long a person retains at least some level of immunity, the virus could run low on the number of people available to infect. It would basically starve itself to death, or at least drop to a very manageable level.

Regardless of how it happens, I’m really hoping this is a one wave event.

New York City doctor says he has to 'plead to test people' for coronavirus

Hospitals across the U.S. are unprepared to identify and treat the new coronavirus, which has begun to spread across the country, New York City-based physician and author Dr. Matt McCarthy said Monday.

“Before I came here this morning, I was in the emergency room seeing patients. I still do not have a rapid diagnostic test available to me.”

McCarthy pointed to problems identified with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s diagnostic tests for the virus.

The CDC sent test kits earlier in the outbreak to public health labs around the country, but those kits were problematic and potentially inaccurate, CDC officials have since said. Because local clinicians can’t depend on the test kits, some have had to ship samples to a laboratory with the ability to run the tests, delaying the process of diagnosis and treatment.

McCarthy, a staff physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, says he still does not have access to test kits.

The team at New York-Presbyterian Hospital are isolating suspected coronavirus patients and taking proper precautions to prevent the spread, McCarthy said, but “they’re hamstrung.”

“In New York state, the person who tested positive is only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state,” he said. “That is a national scandal.”

I believe the issue with laboratory testing became a football between CDC and FDA about who was in charge and running the show.

It still isn't up to speed. Here is a comment from a Medical Laboratory industry management source:

Medical Laboratories Need to Prepare as Public Health Officials Deal with Latest Coronavirus Outbreak

The CDC has developed a test kit, but deployment to public health laboratories has been delayed by a manufacturing defect

Medical laboratories are on the diagnostic front lines of efforts in the US to contain the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus responsible for the disease COVID-19, which was first reported in Wuhan City, China. SARS-CoV-2 differs from severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), which caused an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003.

Currently, all testing for SARS-CoV-2 in the US is performed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), using a CDC-developed rapid test known as the 2019-nCoV Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel. But soon, testing will be performed by city and state public health (reference) laboratories as well.

At present, medical laboratories are collecting blood specimens for testing by authorized public health labs. However, clinical laboratories should prepare for the likelihood they will be called on to perform the testing using the CDC test or other tests under development.

Fortunately, we have far better access to healthcare, medication, food, and improvement in sanitation/hygiene/living conditions than the 14th century.
Although we have now developed antibiotics and antivirals, Dr Jonathan D Quick feels we are still vulnerable. ""Absolutely," he says. "I believe we're just as vulnerable today to big flu as we had in 1918 but for different reasons. So today we have four times the population, we are twice as urbanised, and that crowding has been a factor in recent Ebola outbreaks, and is a factor in flu.

"We are 50 times as mobile - so we're in the air, travelling across borders, there isn't any place on the planet which is more than 24 to 36 hours away from any major city."

He says flu is tricky, a virus that keeps mutating and exchanging genes."
Could the Spanish flu strike again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members