Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out for more supplies, CVS and Ralph's.
In an area with a very high Asian population, I was surprised that there was plenty of everything other than hand sanitizer. A lot of water was missing from the shelves though.
Since I'm not an avid cook and am vegetarian, I bought packages of both Boost and Ensure.
Hey, it's got protein and it stores well.

Juventus In Lockdown As Three Players Test Positive For The Coronavirus
It’s Juventus Under-23 Serie C side Pianese not the Serie A team but I don’t know if they train at the same ground. Juventus In Lockdown As Three Players Test Positive For The Coronavirus

Juventus have immediately stopped all training sessions and put all their Under-23 players in quarantine after a trio from Serie C side Pianese tested positive for the Coronavirus.
Juventus In Lockdown As Three Players Test Positive For The Coronavirus

At this point I don’t care how it makes people feel, frankly. I have asthma. But I have to go out in public. I’m wearing a mask. I’m hedging my bets.
@gitana1, please consider checking with your doctor. We checked today for a family member that has asthma and was told to not have them wear the N95. Their asthma is fairly severe but please check out your situation before donning the heavier duty masks. Be well!

I'm still confused about buying water for an epidemic or pandemic. Is that for places where tap water is not clean enough to drink? It doesn't really make sense that there would be a power outage during a virus outbreak.

I was wondering about that, too. I don't understand why there is so much overbuying of water at Costco, etc. I don't plan to buy any at all. I have very good water where I live, I love it. There is no reason to think that our water supply will be affected due to the Coronavirus situation. If I guess wrong and there is a problem getting water, Lake Michigan is at the end of my street.

I was wondering about that, too. I don't understand why there is so much overbuying of water at Costco, etc. I don't plan to buy any at all. I have very good water where I live, I love it. There is no reason to think that our water supply will be affected due to the Coronavirus situation. If I guess wrong and there is a problem getting water, Lake Michigan is at the end of my street.
Yeah, we have the Atlantic Ocean..though I'd need help with desalination. Seriously though, we have well water and I love ours as well. It's cold and fresh tasting all year long. Not sure what the rush is to buy bottled water.

One trick from hurricane preparedness I've learned is to fill your bathtub up with water. Just remember though, it's only to be used for drinking. :)

ETA Or fill already used plastic bottles with water and store that. JMO

I was out for more supplies, CVS and Ralph's.
In an area with a very high Asian population, I was surprised that there was plenty of everything other than hand sanitizer. A lot of water was missing from the shelves though.
Since I'm not an avid cook and am vegetarian, I bought packages of both Boost and Ensure.
Hey, it's got protein and it stores well.

Upon suggestion of someone here (thanks whoever it was) I did a quick run yesterday to get UHT (ultrahigh temperature pasteurization) shelf stable WHOLE milk. I love my milk. I got "quite a bit"... empty shelf afterwards :oops: . Another poster suggested Far East Toasted Pine nut Couscous... got that too. I just don't think I would prefer to do Boost and Ensure, or condensed milk.

Bad situation about to occur in North Korea...
#breaking North Korea urges foreign diplomats to leave on Friday. Dozens of foreign diplomats quarantined in Pyongyang, North Korea are planning to take an evacuation flight this Friday, a source inside the country tells me.
Will Ripley on Twitter

The source agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity, given the extreme sensitivity of the current situation in North Korea: “We got a new note [on Saturday] urging missions again to leave and stating [the flight] is scheduled to leave on the 6th [of March],” the source says.

The German Embassy, French Cooperation Office, and Swiss Development Cooperation will close Pyongyang operations completely, the source says. Other countries with diplomatic missions in North Korea plan to scale down operations.

CNN previously reported foreign diplomats have been kept in complete isolation since early February, amid concerns about the potential spread of novel coronavirus inside North Korea. Diplomatic staff are not allowed to leave their compounds. All flights in & out of DPRK suspended

Upon suggestion of someone here (thanks whoever it was) I did a quick run yesterday to get UHT (ultrahigh temperature pasteurization) shelf stable WHOLE milk. I love my milk. I got "quite a bit"... empty shelf afterwards :oops: . Another poster suggested Far East Toasted Pine nut Couscous... got that too. I just don't think I would prefer to do Boost and Ensure, or condensed milk.
I bought powdered protein mix - add water (or milk). I wouldn't touch the stuff on a normal day. DH neither....but if we get hungry enough we sure will.

Yeah, we have the Atlantic Ocean..though I'd need help with desalination. Seriously though, we have well water and I love ours as well. It's cold and fresh tasting all year long. Not sure what the rush is to buy bottled water.

One trick from hurricane preparedness I've learned is to fill your bathtub up with water. Just remember though, it's only to be used for drinking. :)

ETA Or fill already used plastic bottles with water and store that. JMO
I think the water thing is IF the power should go out and you're home sick, you'd be without water. I live in Manhattan in an apartment. If the power goes out, I don't have water and it's very heavy to carry up stairs if the elevator is out. I'd rather have a stash even if a power outage is unlikely.

It's just a precaution, among other precautions - nothing more than that, imo. Feels "secure" to have water.

jmo

I'm still confused about buying water for an epidemic or pandemic. Is that for places where tap water is not clean enough to drink? It doesn't really make sense that there would be a power outage during a virus outbreak.

I’m not buying more water beyond what we already have for the usual emergencies. For example, we were without clean water for over a week after a flood 20 years ago. Maybe I’ll pick up a few more gallons, but not a two week supply.

Exactly. The real problem is the supply chain. I am no kind of expert on it but have been doing some reading. Here's an article from HBR that I found informative and fairly basic: How Coronavirus Could Impact the Global Supply Chain by Mid-March

My biggest concern is about the American public panicking. Not because the virus is so deadly but because of things like certain items disappearing from stores and transportation and business being disrupted because of employee absence or people being laid off because of lack of merchandise or other necessities at a particular business. I honestly am uncertain as to whether people can deal rationally with that. If they can't, panic will ensue. I already see people online talking about stockpiling beyond their personal needs, basically overbuying and hoarding. To much of that causes even less availability and thus more panic. In reality we can all live without some of our favorite whatever for a while. This is not an apocalyptic event but if the "pandemic" declaration comes I fear people will react as if it is.

I always have enough in my "larder" for at least a month of meals (at least when my twin boys are away at college). And that's pretty easy to do. We live in a rural area with lots of dairy and other farms and I always buy certain things there like meat, milk, cheese. You can identify local sources and support them. Amazon & Walmart type places will be harder hit.

I grew up with stories of the depression and WWII. The American people still had it pretty good-no war on our streets but plenty of deprivation and uncertainty-beating Hitler was not a given. Many Americans today have basically known nothing but abundance and "shop" as a hobby. You can order any food or groceries and have it delivered at your command. I worry that we're so "spoiled" people will not be able to react calmly to any deprivation. I so hope I'm wrong.
Thank you! I had tried posting of the panic reaction of overbuying only to be met with angry denials. IMO they don't see themselves as hoarding. I, like you am in a rural area, good farm community, and we all help each other. I do wonder if the "henny penny" people are in major cities, where there is not a good community to care about others.

MOO

I think the water thing is IF the power should go out and you're home sick, you'd be without water. I live in Manhattan in an apartment. If the power goes out, I don't have water and it's very heavy to carry up stairs if the elevator is out. I'd rather have a stash even if it's a power outage is unlikely.

It's just a precaution, among other precautions - nothing more than that, imo. Feels "secure" to have water.

jmo
AH yes. I see. I remember Hurricane Sandy when my daughter, SIL and 50 lb. bulldog lived in an apartment in Chelsea (Manhattan) and had no power. They had to walk a few blocks to get what they needed at a supply station, until all was restored. Plus up and down 5 flights of stairs, carrying the dog who hates stairs.

Two advice nurses suggested I stay home citing that not much is known about the virus and that I should wait to see if I’m contacted about exposure through the local elementary school.

The more I’m reading, the more I’m feeling like this virus is probably already infiltrating the community. They think it’s been spreading for 6 weeks in Washington. It has to be rapidly spreading through the Portland metro area, too. Moo, of course!

I must have missed a post. We’re you exposed.

@gitana1, please consider checking with your doctor. We checked today for a family member that has asthma and was told to not have them wear the N95. Their asthma is fairly severe but please check out your situation before donning the heavier duty masks. Be well!

Yes to this @gitana1. I have mild asthma and found the N-95 was very difficult to use just walking a block. But it was the only thing that would filter out wildfire smoke, so I wore it briefly as needed. Smoke would have been worse...air quality was “hazardous” on some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214