Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Henry2326, have you seen how many tests will be possible starting next week in the US in total? It seems like we could see a rapid ramp up in confirmed cases once the testing starts to roll, but I'm not sure when exactly this might be? I've just seen this reference to 1 million tests from FDA starting next week: FDA chief promises 1 million coronavirus tests, but labs say that’s not possible

Estimates Fall Short of F.D.A.’s Pledge for 1 Million Coronavirus Tests

I've been trying to keep track of the press reports as each State is moving at a different pace it seems so I'm uncertain. I just wonder what the backlog of patients that need to be tested might be and how these patients are being told to shelter in place? Doctors in NY have expressed anger and frustration at the slow speed to get the tests and I believe that this Friday will be the first day for actual tests that are done in NY.
Attached is an article that says

"An FDA spokesperson tells POLITICO that state and local public health labs currently have the capacity to test 15,000 people. New tests CDC is distributing this week will bring that figure up to 75,000 people, FDA said."

IMO....the locals have also been caught flat footed...so they are going to blame anyone else until they can get their operations up and running...

Widespread coronavirus testing could still be weeks away

Looks like no community spread....yet

India has confirmed 28 cases of the novel coronavirus, the nation's Health Minister Harsh Vardhan announced in a press conference on Wednesday.

Vardhan said that the cases broke down as follows:

• 17 were identified as an Italian travel group and an Indian driver.
  • 1 case reported on Monday in New Delhi was a person who had traveled to Italy.
  • 6 cases in Agra were linked to the New Delhi case.
  • 1 case reported on Monday involved a 24-year-old in India's southern state of Telangana who had traveled to Dubai.
  • 3 cases reported earlier in Kerala have recovered and been discharged.
Coronavirus cases pass 92,000 worldwide as more reported in US and Australia

Round and round it goes....

China's Custom Authority says 75 international arrivals into the country have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Custom Authority said that as of March 3, 6,728 international arrivals to China were showing symptoms, with 779 arrivals classified as suspected cases and 75 testing positive.

Coronavirus cases pass 92,000 worldwide as more reported in US and Australia

I’m disappointed in one of the local hospitals where my daughter works. The memo sent out yesterday by the administration says, “where it bleeds it leads and to keep that in mind. Media needs all the clicks and subscribers they can get so Don’t believe the hype!”

(Reuters) - The median incubation period of the new coronavirus is five to seven days and the maximum 14 days, Du Bin, Chairman of the Critical Care Medical Branch of the Chinese Medical Association, told a press event on Wednesday in Beijing.

Du also said that, while in Hubei province some individuals have tested positive for the virus even after being discharged from hospital, there is no data tracking such cases.

He said there was no evidence yet that such patients can transmit the virus to others.

Coronavirus median incubation period 5-7 days, maximum 14 - Chinese Medical Association

Coronavirus panic: Why are people stockpiling toilet paper?

Consumer psychology experts say the behaviour is "obviously irrational", and a clear example of herd mentality whipped up by social media and news coverage.

The pictures of bare aisles haven't helped.

"What you've got to remember is that when 50 packs of toilet paper rolls disappear off shelves, you really notice it because they take up so much room," says Prof Debra Grace from Griffith University.

"It's much more noticeable than say 50 cans of baked beans or hand sanitiser disappearing."

FOMO syndrome - or Fear Of Missing Out - is in full force here says Associate Professor Nitika Garg from the University of New South Wales.

"They think if this person is buying it, if my neighbour is buying there's got to be a reason and I need to get in too," she told the BBC.

Prof Garg compares the rush to what occurred in many Asian nations. She notes that in China for example, there was a greater motivation to stock up on white ply because "there's a thinking that toilet paper can be substituted for tissues and napkins and to make makeshift masks".

Using toilet paper as a medical resource isn't fuelling the Australian demand so far, she says. The local buy-up is driven by fear.

She suggests the situation is unprecedented. Australians have stocked up on household goods before but it's been due to a natural disaster like a bushfire or cyclone, and restricted to certain communities.

"But when it comes to coronavirus, people aren't certain as to how things are going to pan out, or how much worse it's going to get," Prof Garg says.

"They want to be prepared because it's the one thing they can do to get some sense of control."

Another consumer expert, Dr Rohan Miller from the University of Sydney, believes it is a reflection of an urbanised society and lifestyle where modern convenience reigns supreme.

"We're not used to shortages and scarcity, we're used to being able to pick and choose what we want, when we want. So the rush to get toilet paper is just this sheep mentality to maintain that status," he says.

Soft, white squares of toilet roll - marketed with pictures of puppies and pure snow - are a daily "luxury" that Australians and others just aren't willing to mentally part with.

"I think people want to make sure they have some comforts in their lives if they're going to be shacked up with their family for a long time," he says.

"Toilet paper doesn't really matter - it's just so far down the survival list compared to other things like food or water - but it's just something people cling to as a minimum standard."

Coronavirus panic: Why are people stockpiling toilet paper?

BREAKING: China instructs all local governments, except Beijing and Hubei province, to streamline the "orderly return to work"

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Ha...crazy world
Video evidence. In #Wenzhou, factory manager told they must consume 3000 kWh electricity by midnight, as the authorities use electricity usage as a criterion of re-open rate. Even this factory has not re-opened for lack of supply and manpower due to #COVID2019, manager had to turn on machines with no people... 曾錚 Jennifer Zeng on Twitter

NEW: Germany reports 38 new cases of coronavirus, raising country's total to 240 Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

Reading the comments from Germans, no action in Germany. Expected explosion in cases in coming week. Nothing is closed or contained....rumors of elderly care facility under quarantine....one area stopped presenting number of cases.....

Australia - sadly a lot of our wonderful Chinese restaurants are feeling the effect of Covid-19 with many suffering from lack of patronage.

“At 1pm on a Tuesday, Dixon Street should be bursting at the seams. Delivery bikes should be picking their way through a tangle of hungry people. There should be heaving tables and queues out the door. It's one of the reasons I avoid taking my kids there at lunchtime on any day, unless I feel I can take on the crowds.

But yesterday it was quiet. Eerily quiet. And empty.

For the first time, the business impact of our current novel coronavirus fears was laid out stark and bare for me to witness.”
'I visited Chinatown to see the effects of the coronavirus panic'

You can’t blame people for avoiding these places and that’s just the downside of this.

I wouldn’t eat Chinese food if you paid me at the moment and everybody I know is the same. It’s a complete over reaction and we know that but it’s just the way we feel at the moment and we are certainly not alone in that. It started in China so I think it’s just human nature to over think these things at the moment and to avoid things you associate with the disease.

IMO

Trevor Bedford
(Who woulda thought I would be tracking virus experts....just saying)

Patient 0 for Europe...
At the base of this lineage lies the sample Germany/BavPat1/2020. This was "patient 1" in Bavaria who was infected by a business colleague visiting from China. This cluster was investigated via contact tracing and an analysis written here: https://t.co/HgUF9BIzc6 4/7 Trevor Bedford on Twitter

Incredibly, it appears that this cluster containing Germany/BavPat1/2020 is the direct ancestor of these later viruses and thus led directly to some fraction of the widespread outbreak circulating in Europe today. 5/7 Trevor Bedford on Twitter

Thus, I believe, similar to the case in Washington State (Trevor Bedford on Twitter), we had a situation in which a cluster was identified via intensive screening of travelers, but containment failed shortly thereafter and a sustained transmission chain was initiated. 6/7

An extremely important take home message here is that just because a cluster has been identified and "contained" doesn't actually mean this case did not seed a transmission chain that went undetected until it grew to be sizable outbreak. 7/7

My interpretation....travel bans were too late.

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_071310.jpg
    IMG_20200304_071310.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200304_071414.jpg
    IMG_20200304_071414.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online