Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have never been quite so embarrassed to be an australian as i am atm .... toilet paper hording
i wish it was a joke but sadly no.... had to resort to going to a commercial outlet that supplies hotels and restaurants just to be able to buy some .

I cant find ANYONE concerned Except my mother and my husband !
my older son is a pilot w/ a US Major Carrier.
my discussion w/ him yesterday:
He says he is in constant discussion w/ other
major carrier pilots and they are ALL very concerned. Not just for their exposure which is great, but for the shutdown of many routes and
the impending layoffs of airline employees.

On my dog forum, there's still a lot mixed opinions. The potential gravity of the situation hasn't reall hit , yet. Younger posters want to
downplay any problem. It's just the flu, no big deal.

The only ones i see concerned are the 'older' generation. My 28 yr old daughter doesn't believe the hype, thinks it is just like the flu and isn't prepping for anything
They think 'its only elderly and frail' that need to worry. her word.. Seniors. I had to remind her... i am technically a 'senior' now at 55. Her response, 'yeah, but you don't act it'.

Where did i go wrong ????? :)

(Dear mod, please delete if not allowed)

Question for those watching all this on SM in the US (no specific SM rumors or content references please per TOS):

I’m not on SM, but have been wondering “what it’s like out there” generally atm. How concerned are people overall in your opinions? Do we in here represent a unique group of being overly prepared and concerned people, or are there a lot of others who are as concerned as us, talking about supplies, etc.? Is there a lack of concern by many who are stuck on this “ it’s just the flu” mentality? Perhaps concern is evolving as more cases are diagnosed? Perhaps it varies in different regions? Are there people arguing as usual, insulting each other? It’s it mad out there? Total chaos? Is there a whole bunch of misinformation floating around as usual? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. Again, please just give a general assessment on this without bringing over anything from SM, so as to not violate TOS.

I have spoken to my family and friends about my “extra” shopping and concerns. They have listened and politely agree. Even mentioned that they should do some preparing. In terms of social media, other than the medical things that show up that are serious, mostly I see meme type jokes.

And....then we get this:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/rep-m...s-mask-says-congress-at-risk-for-coronavirus/

"Rep. Matt Gaetz stood by his move to sport an enormous gas mask to protect himself from coronavirus — even during a House floor vote on funding for the public health emergency."I don't know if he is serious about the gas mask or making fun of people who are concerned about the virus.

Either way, this is just dumb. IMOPINION
Gaetz is making fun of the virus. Earlier on Wednesday, Gaetz accused Democrats of using the coronavirus to score political points against the President.

Sad times when someone would do this.

The only ones i see concerned are the 'older' generation. My 28 yr old daughter doesn't believe the hype, thinks it is just like the flu and isn't prepping for anything
They think 'its only elderly and frail' that need to worry. her word.. Seniors. I had to remind her... i am technically a 'senior' now at 55. Her response, 'yeah, but you don't act it'.

OMG we are the same person LOL

They think 'its only elderly and frail' thaEarlier on Wednesday, Gaetz accused Democrats of using the coronavirus to score political points against the President.don't need to worry. her word.. Seniors. I had to remind her... i am technically a 'senior' now at 55. Her response, 'yeah, but you don't act it'.

You might mention that the outside of a human body is not an indication of what goes on inside. Seemingly healthy people develop serious problems all the time.

the reaction reminds me of the SARS outbreak back in 02, it was also a form of cornavirus. the world did not end and the total deaths attributed to it were 774 across 37 countries. SARS had a 10% mortality rate this current version has a 2.3%
i understand that people fear the idea of a pandemic but in 1st world countries i think the odds of it wiping out large numbers is highly unlikely, research into vaccines is underway.
if it were an ebola pandemic then even i might start hoarding toilet paper but at this point i think being smart about hygiene and not flying into china or going on a cruise will probably keep me safe .

Last edited:
Never in my life have I seen so many press conferences, sometimes multiple a day via various outlets. Just sayin.

Usually we’re begging for PCs. Here I can barely keep up with all of them. It’s a good thing.

This thread is unique in sooo many ways

This is a HUGE problem with the Federal Government's leadership on this.

Let the scientists talk and shut the politicians up.

Get a simple concise message out there and then act on it

And....then we get this:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/rep-m...s-mask-says-congress-at-risk-for-coronavirus/

"Rep. Matt Gaetz stood by his move to sport an enormous gas mask to protect himself from coronavirus — even during a House floor vote on funding for the public health emergency."

I don't know if he is serious about the gas mask or making fun of people who are concerned about the virus.

Either way, this is just dumb. IMOPINION
Responsible leadership would have shut down this inappropriate behavior in a heartbeat. Just sayin'

Last edited:
HSBC has evacuated a floor of its Canary Wharf office tower after an employee was confirmed to have caught coronavirus.

The bank has sent 100 people home and ordered a deep clean of the 10th floor, which houses its research department. This has so far not affected HSBC’s trading floor, which carries out large transactions on financial markets for big institutions.

HSBC said: “We have been informed that one of our employees at 8 Canada Square has been diagnosed with Covid-19. This colleague is under medical supervision and has self-isolated. We are working closely with the health authorities.

“We are deep-cleaning the floor where our colleague worked and shared areas of the building. Colleagues on that floor, and others who came into contact with him, have been advised to work at home

HSBC evacuates floor of Canary Wharf after coronavirus test | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member