Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain on "count/counterpoint" wayyyy back where the banter went back and forth.

There was the quote "Jane, you ignorant sl*t". That's what I feel like yelling to my computer during some live streams and even listening to/conversing with my friends who think I'm nuts and overreacting and panicking! (NOT here at WS on this thread though as this place is my only salvation)

Was going to do a YouTube link of the skit, but thought better and don't want to go to camp and learn a musical instrument iykwim. You older folks will remember that skit I'm sure.
ahhh, yes, funny memories.

Remember that Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain on "count/counterpoint" wayyyy back where the banter went back and forth.

There was the quote "Jane, you ignorant sl*t". That's what I feel like yelling to my computer during some live streams and even listening to/conversing with my friends who think I'm nuts and overreacting and panicking! (NOT here at WS on this thread though as this place is my only salvation)

Was going to do a YouTube link of the skit, but thought better and don't want to go to camp and learn a musical instrument iykwim. You older folks will remember that skit I'm sure.

Omg! You made me laugh out loud! And I REALLY needed to laugh. Love & miss the old original SNL skits.

Tho this thread is not a laughing matter , a little laugh is a nice relief from time -to-time.

I'm going to try the Dan Akroyd & Jane Curtin banter on a few folks, very soon!

Stay safe out there, friends!

I kind of took the cherry blossoms as a symbol of beauty and growth amongst all the sickness and death, a type of artistic allegory, if you will. I appreciated the post, personally.
Same here. Even after a natural disaster such as wildfire or tornado outbreak, the focus on a single flower that manages to bloom or a rescued puppy from the rubble is a focus on hope and a bit of normalcy that remains/continues.

Community Message - 3.4.20 - EvergreenHealth

"
In partnership with the CDC, we have updated our screening guidelines for COVID-19.

As of March 3, 2020, we have halted performing nasopharyngeal testing in our outpatient clinics, including all five urgent care locations.

Here’s why:

• The CDC has determined that COVID-19 is now endemic, meaning that the virus is now considered to be regularly found in our region amongst our population. Previously, only individuals who had previously known risk factors (including history of travel, exposure to a confirmed case), were considered high risk for acquiring the disease.
  • There is increased risk of transmission when performing any nasopharyngeal testing.
Screening

• Patients will continue to be seen in our clinics. The risk of transmission is low when the patient and clinician are masked, similar to influenza. Patients will be treated based on clinical presentation, just without nasopharyngeal testing.
  • Patients who are asymptomatic (not experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19) will be seen as usual."
Wow

If I knew how to tweet this to Dr. Tedros and all those other scientists, I would. WTF? I don't get this at all. This needs to be explained... or perhaps it has... I'm pages behind on thread right now.

Perhaps they are being sent elsewhere for the testing? But it doesn't say such. How will they do contact tracing if they don't know positives.

Last edited:
Covid-19 risks tipping Germany and Italy into recession
March 5, 2020

—-

COVID-19: Pope cancels public appearances to avoid crowds gathering
07/03/2020

“Pope Francis will not address crowds from his window overlooking St Peter's Square on Sunday, because of the coronavirus outbreak in Italy. Instead his address will be streamed over the internet and on screens in the square.

The Vatican said on Saturday that the decision was made at the request of the Italian authorities, to "avoid the risk of the spread of COVID-19" via crowds going through security controls for access to the square. The pope's appearance, as well as his traditional audience on Wednesday, will both be held from inside the library in the Apostolic Palace.“

—-

Italy: Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases by region 2020 | Statista
Mar 6, 2020

I kind of took the cherry blossoms as a sign of beauty and growth amongst all the sickness and death, a type of artistic allegory, if you will. I appreciated the post, personally.

Cherry blossom season will be soon enough in Washington.
Such beauty.

Thankfully Spring is coming soon.
Up North, my love birds have returned and I'm feeding the finches, and looking for tracks in the snow.

So don't forget to hit your personal reset button, M.

Last edited:
Cherry blossom season will be soon enough in Washington.
Such beauty.

Thankfully Spring is coming soon.
Up North, my love birds have returned and I'm feeding the finches, and looking for tracks in the snow.

Last night watched Mr. Roger's movie, hot date friday, as my hubs snored like a purr purr kitty, beside me. As soon as the puppets came out he was in snooze mode.

The movie was extraordinary, I teared up in parts, was cloaked in a warm blanket of love in parts, resolved past issues of abandonment with stuffed animals.
Felt spiritually refreshed, after having watched the film.

So don't forget to hit your personal reset button, M.
Cheers to cherry blossoms, spring, love birds and Mr. Rogers. And to pausing to enjoy them all.

New York COVID-19 Cases Surge to 45; Dozens Under Mandatory Quarantine Order
The number quadrupled in the last few days; as of Friday night, 45 people in New York state were confirmed to be infected
Updated 5 mins ago

• Twenty-two new cases were added to the total Friday; many of them are connected to the Westchester County lawyer who works in midtown Manhattan
  • New Jersey had thee positive samples that had been sent to the CDC for confirmation; Connecticut saw its first case reported Friday

[...]

“In neighboring New Jersey, four people tested positive and the samples were sent to the CDC for confirmation. Those results were still pending federal confirmation as of Friday night. One is a health care worker in his 30s who works in New York City and splits time between homes there and in New Jersey, officials said. It's not clear where he works or in what capacity. He's doing well in isolation at the hospital, officials say. Another woman tested positive in Bergen County, and was released into isolation at her home.

Two other cases in the state were announced Friday, including a man in his 60s in southern New Jersey's Camden County and a man in his 50s in Bergen County. Both have been hospitalized.

The New Jersey State Department of Health has established a 24-hour coronavirus hotline to answer questions: 800-222-1222. New York has a similar hotline set up: 888-364-3065.

Later on Friday, Connecticut saw its first case of coronavirus reported. A Fairfield County nurse was said to have COVID-19, according to Gov. Ned Lamont. The woman is a Westchester County resident, however, and is believed to have been exposed to the virus as a result of a hospital employee there. She was tested Wednesday in New York, with the positive result coming in Friday evening.

Her case marks the 35th person in Westchester County to be infected with coronavirus.”

I teach adult students. For the past two weeks or so, each class has a number of students, coughing, sneezing, blowing noses. I now find myself interacting less, and also leaning back a bit when students wander up after class with their questions, and sometimes want to lean in very close to me. It is probably all flu, but I feel it is affecting lots of human interactions. I would feel much better if there was more testing and transparency. Hard to believe that so many governments are so isolated, and that the testing can't become a top priority. I'm pretty sure most of this is meant to keep people calm, but it is not working, IMO.

If I knew how to tweet this to Dr. Tedros and all those other scientists, I would. WTF? I don't get this at all. This needs to be explained... or perhaps it has... I'm pages behind on thread right now.

Perhaps they are being sent elsewhere for the testing? But it doesn't say such. How will they do contact tracing if they don't know positives.
Nope, there have been no explanation. Sounds like they have just given up on testing altogether.

Dr Ashton on GMA this morning (3/7/20) incidence and prevalence important. If people can be determined to have the disease and only have a mild case (and recover), we can gather more info on the traits of this disease. Statistics are necessary!

Also, pets not determined to catch the disease from humans. However, common sense says to keep your distant from you fur baby if sick.

Okay, I need to better understand here. The folks who went through their 14 days are now coming down with it? Hmmmmmm. Incubation period issue? Infected at the end? Two strains with two incubation periods? They had disease for a long time and are catching at the very end?
I think it's a different ship, not the Diamond Princess. There is another Princess stuck somewhere near California with positive patients on board.

I had a very intense discussion with my SIL this morning about her upcoming cruise. I told her I needed her to not see my parents for at least 14 days after she returns. That means my brother, who is not going on the cruise but who will be exposed to her afterwards, also cannot see them for that period. I also said I’m not wild about my brother potentially being exposed, either, but there’s nothing I can do about that.

She still believes it’s like the flu and the risk is low. But if my parents get it, they are done for, given their ages and pre-existing conditions. She agreed to stay away from them. But it was not a happy discussion. I feel bad about that, but part of my job is to protect my parents.

I had a very intense discussion with my SIL this morning about her upcoming cruise. I told her I needed her to not see my parents for at least 14 days after she returns. That means my brother, who is not going on the cruise but who will be exposed to her afterwards, also cannot see them for that period. I also said I’m not wild about my brother potentially being exposed, either, but there’s nothing I can do about that.

She still believes it’s like the flu and the risk is low. But if my parents get it, they are done for, given their ages and pre-existing conditions. She agreed to stay away from them. But it was not a happy discussion. I feel bad about that, but part of my job is to protect my parents.

Thankfully you're the one with the common sense.

Why the last man standing on the coronavirus cruise ship never gave up
5th March 2020

“(CNN) — His ship may have been to hell and back, becoming a floating coronavirus-infected prison for passengers quarantined at port in Japan, but when the captain of the Diamond Princess cruise ship became the last person aboard to finally step onto dry land, he looked entirely unruffled by the experience.
If it weren't for the mask on his face, Gennaro Arma, striding purposefully along the dockside in full uniform with hat under arm, might easily have been stepping down from an uneventful trip shuttling passengers from one vacation destination to another.”

[...]

It's why, they say, the experienced Italian sailor is now being hailed as a hero at home and abroad.
"He emerged to be exactly how people have renamed him -- 'Fearless'," Arma's wife, Mariana Gargiulo, tells CNN Travel from her home in Sant'Agnello, a beautiful coastal town south of Naples, where the captain is due to return soon.”

[...]

“'My gladiators'
His support for his crew was on display right to the end when he disembarked on March 2, having overseen the final transfer of all passengers either to hospital or a quarantine facility.
He called them "my gladiators."
Throughout the quarantine, he also regularly thanked all passengers on board for their patience and perseverance, leaving them notes of encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dany998