Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped

Good grief.

It's true, shaking hands will not "give you" the virus, but shaking hands can easily spread the germs that can give you the virus - if you touch your face or your food with your hands before washing them.

jmo

To put into terms that all of us here can understand MOO

Scientists = Prosecution/evidence to enlighten

Politicians = Defense attys/position statements that on the face may be true, but the language is designed to ..... well, you know.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
"And above all, don't get on a cruise ship.”
Snipped- the quote is about advice to the elderly.

Wonder if he'll get in trouble for saying that? Seems the current message is to protect large industries, including travel industries like airlines and cruise. A big percentage of cruise passengers are elderly, right?

Yes, I know younger people take cruises too. :)

jmo

It’s all because our leader wants to keep the numbers down. He said so himself. I am so unhappy with how things are being run and I thought China was bad with their lack of total numbers, I never would have believed that same attitude would come from us.

I have daughters who love international travel and I nearly cried when he said he really didn’t want the ship full of Americans here to mess up his numbers. I cannot imagine being outside this country where I was not welcomed back. I was literally shaking.

Can't allow those stock market numbers to fall. That's what's really important ;)

He is a heavy smoker and always coughing so I avoid him as much as I can. Unfortunately he’s in an open cubicle that I have to pass to get to my office. I have a feeling if he really gets it he’s not going anywhere as he is always sick with something.

Another article looking into enzyme and populations:

"A novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) was identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December of 2019. This new coronavirus has resulted in thousands of cases of lethal disease in China, with additional patients being identified in a rapidly growing number internationally. 2019-nCov was reported to share the same receptor, Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), with SARS-Cov. Here based on the public database and the state-of-the-art single-cell RNA-Seq technique, we analyzed the ACE2 RNA expression profile in the normal human lungs. The result indicates that the ACE2 virus receptor expression is concentrated in a small population of type II alveolar cells (AT2). Surprisingly, we found that this population of ACE2-expressing AT2 also highly expressed many other genes that positively regulating viral reproduction and transmission. A comparison between eight individual samples demonstrated that the Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung. This study provides a biological background for the epidemic investigation of the 2019-nCov infection disease, and could be informative for future anti-ACE2 therapeutic strategy development."​

Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....if you are over 60 and/or have medical conditions, or have conditions at any age, begin to limit your exposure.
STAY HOME WHEN YOU CAN.
DO NOT FLY, CRUISE, OR BE IN LARGE CROWDS, INCLUDING CHURCH.
TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT.
DO NOT GO TO MOVIES OR CONCERTS.
BUY YOUR GROCERIES ONLINE WITH DELIVERY IF POSSIBLE.
DO NOT GO TO DOCTOR UNLESS YOU ARE SICK.
DO NOT GO TO FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, OT PARTIES.
DO NOT GO VISIT ANYONE IN HOSPITAL.

I'm saying what Ben Carson should of said....Same thing I told my 80 year old parents.
-------------------------------------------
These decisions will be made at 11pm and next day kids at home. Immediate decisions.
Talk to your parents. They are in highest risk group. Tell them to stay at home.
Next 2-3 weeks will be disruptive w/ economic, social even political impact.
COVID19 on Twitter

I’ve decided to skip a gathering today where an old friend who now lives in Florida will be visiting. Call me crazy, but my immune system isn’t feeling too perky and they’ve got more cases in FL than we do in OR. And of course, he and his family flew here adding to their potential exposure. I’m probably overreacting, but maybe I’ll feel better later in the week and can see him then. Just feeling wimpy today. :(

I’ve decided to skip a gathering today where an old friend who now lives in Florida will be visiting. Call me crazy, but my immune system isn’t feeling too perky and they’ve got more cases in FL than we do in OR. And of course, he and his family flew here adding to their potential exposure. I’m probably overreacting, but maybe I’ll feel better later in the week and can see him then. Just feeling wimpy today. :(
I'm feeling perky but isolating myself....not going anywhere!!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....if you are over 60 and/or have medical conditions, or have conditions at any age, begin to limit your exposure.
STAY HOME WHEN YOU CAN.
DO NOT FLY, CRUISE, OR BE IN LARGE CROWDS, INCLUDING CHURCH.
TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT.
DO NOT GO TO MOVIES OR CONCERTS.
BUY YOUR GROCERIES ONLINE WITH DELIVERY IF POSSIBLE.
DO NOT GO TO DOCTOR UNLESS YOU ARE SICK.
DO NOT GO TO FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, OT PARTIES.
DO NOT GO VISIT ANYONE IN HOSPITAL.

I'm saying what Ben Carson should of said....Same thing I told my 80 year old parents.
-------------------------------------------
These decisions will be made at 11pm and next day kids at home. Immediate decisions.
Talk to your parents. They are in highest risk group. Tell them to stay at home.
Next 2-3 weeks will be disruptive w/ economic, social even political impact.
COVID19 on Twitter

I am totally lost on the "over 60" designation. People are still working in their 60s!
jmo

Regal Princess Drifting off Miami?

Yet another Princess ship that might have a case COVID-19. The ship was scheduled to dock in Port Everglades earlier this morning but is currently "drifting" near Miami. They hope to be given the all-clear and return to FLL by noon.

Royal Princess discussion: Royal Princess Update

From a comment on the page....

"Currently on board. We have 2 previous Grand Princess crew members on board. CDC is going to have them tested, so waiting on the kit (Same as they did the royal yesterday). Captain Tim states that they joined the ship outside of the standard incubation period and have shown no symptoms. Also no one on the ship. He feels this is just administrative, let’s hope. He thinks of all goes well, will arrive at noon. They already cancelled the cruise for next week."

A world-famous microbiologist who helped discover Ebola has warned that coronavirus will be at its worst at Easter - and the outbreak will continue for several months.

Dr Peter Piot is convinced that thousands of people in Britain already have the deadly virus, and the number of people diagnosed will rise sharply.

The worst could come next month, he warned, with a peak expected around Easter.

In an interview with The Times the respected scientist said the disease could also make a return next winter - meaning it is hugely important to develop a vaccine.

He said: "We've got a reasonable worst-case scenario... that involves 80% of the population and we think the mortality rate is one per cent or lower. I expect it to be less than that.

"It takes about 12 weeks to reach the peak then maybe about 12 weeks to go away again.

Coronavirus UK outbreak to 'peak at Easter bringing six months of chaos'

Wow, a peak at Easter. Just think of all of the festivities planned for that time of year that may be cancelled. Religious services, egg hunts, Spring Flings, family get togethers, etc. There will be lots of disappointed people I am sure.

Italy Lombardy region is on the brink. Retired doctors summoned, nursing students field promoted to graduation. Just under 10% of Lombardy's #COVID19 cases need ICU. 10% of doctors/nurses have already caught #coronavirus and in quarantine. The healthcare system in Italy's Lombardy region is so strained from the new coronavirus that officials are asking doctors to come out of retirement and nursing students are being fast-tracked to graduation
This is horrifying.

Wonder if he'll get in trouble for saying that? Seems the current message is to protect large industries, including travel industries like airlines and cruise. A big percentage of cruise passengers are elderly, right?

jmo

I was just going to have us start making predictions about how long Dr. Fauci will be kept on the “team” and/or allowed to speak freely. It’s almost like he’s pushing the envelope as far as he can.

jmo

Someone mentioned this on tv earlier. Many of these people at NIH, CDC, etc. are civil service. Trump/Pence will have a difficult time kicking them out of their jobs. They're regarded as heroes by their peers in the medical community, so they have a lot of allies.

I think more docs, nurses, etc. are waking up to the perils to their group if the pandemic is poorly handled. They face greater risk of illness and death, their hospitals and clinics will be bankrupted. It takes them a while to come around, when it comes to talking back to public officials, but when they do they don't back down from science.

I am totally lost on the "over 60" designation. People are still working in their 60s!
jmo
It's the delineation of high risk in the Chinese results. It might be worse or better here or even affect another age group, but you gotta start somewhere. I'm 59, so throwing myself in that group and isolating....
If you are working, take precautions depending on what you do. Don't hang out at the water cooler. Use hand sanitizer. Keep your distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties