Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I’m back from my absolute last store run for a while—Thankfully I was able to get my medical marijuana, that was the last thing on the list. I have now done everything I can possibly do to help prepare me and my family. This has taken weeks to do with much planning ahead, special orders from the pharmacy, multiple trips, etc. That’s it, nothing more, no more kidneys left to sell. But I have basic needs such as dog food, medicines, toilet paper, food, rubbing alcohol, wipes, etc. Nothing over the top, only essential items so I won’t have to go to the store for a few weeks. If there was more money I would’ve prepared for at least 3 months but that just wasn’t feasible so I did the best with what I had. This has all cost a small fortune.

Some of you may remember when I went to the store a few days ago and was literally mocked to my face that it’s “only the flu, we’re all going to do die sometime, it’s all a government conspiracy and a bunch of media hype”. I was ridiculed and fed with a bunch of BS and misinformation by the clerk, as well as the other two people with me at the check out line. Due to that, I said I was “1 out of 4” who cared out the CV in my area and 25% of who was taking this seriously.

Well guess what, I have now changed that number to 1 out of ten after returning from the store. Not only did a 20ish year old clerk say, “I’m not worried, I’ll take coronavirus, it’s just a cold”, but my other friends at the store insisted on hugging me even though I TOLD them when they asked “What’s up” that I’m very concerned and out preparing. I was also very obviously keeping a distance and standing there with latex gloves on holding a chlorine wipe in my hand but they still didn’t get the message. They were trying to high five, hug...They just don’t understand the seriousness of this AT ALL. (Of course I’m grateful for the love and hug but you guys KWIM).

As I said in another post, do not expect some people to understand or even respect your boundaries. Expect them to think you are way over the top.

I was fed with more conspiracy theories and minimizations, and once again was the ONLY person in the room even minutely phased by the whole situation.

I can’t wait to catch up here. After my trip, once again I’ve started to doubt myself and wonder if I am really overreacting...again, I’m sure once I start reading here and mingling with my colleagues that I love and respect so much that I’ll be right back where I was yesterday, 110 percent concerned and trusting my own instincts and education on the matter.

Last edited:
Text alert in Georgia. Fulton County School system (metro Atlanta area) is closing the ENTIRE county schools tomorrow due to positive Coronavirus in schools.
FultonCounty.JPG

Fulton County Schools employee tests positive for coronavirus; schools closed Tuesday

Fulton County Schools closed Tuesday; employee has COVID-19

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. — An employee with the Fulton County School System has tested positive for coronavirus, officials said Monday.

The school system is immediately dismissing the impacted schools.

[Georgia officials preparing part of state park for coronavirus patients isolation]

Content Continues Below

School officials are expected to release more information on which schools were affected at a 3:30 p.m. news conference.

Officials said the employee is being treated at a local high school.

Fulton County Schools employee tests positive for coronavirus; schools closed Tuesday

Last edited:
CBS News on Twitter

Coronavirus at-home testing kits to be provided by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for Seattle area residents
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is preparing to roll out at-home coronavirus testing kits to residents of the Seattle area — the community hardest hit by the virus in the U.S. so far.

More than 500 cases of coronavirushave been confirmed in the U.S. so far, and at least 24 people have died, the majority of them in Washington state. The Gates Foundation hopes that these new test kits will improve the detection of the disease and help mitigate the impact of the epidemic.

The world has endured yet another harsh day of uncertainty as the ongoing, widespread effects of the coronavirus outbreak continue ricocheting around the globe.
More than 110,000 people have now been infected by the COVID-19 strain across the world and 3800 have died from it, according to a Reuters tally.
There are 104 countries outside China reporting infections, with Egypt reporting its first death on Sunday, while Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Colombia and Moldova reported their first cases.
Coronavirus fallout sees stocks tumble, prisoners killed and global hysteria

Top Virus Doctor Says High Blood Pressure Is Major Death Risk

Patients with hypertension appear to be at a higher risk of dying from the coronavirus, said a top Chinese intensive care doctor who’s been treating critically ill patients since mid-January.

While there’s been no published research yet explaining why, Chinese doctors working in Wuhan have noticed that infected patients with that underlying illness are more likely to slip into severe distress and die.

The article doesn’t say, but I assume they mean patients with uncontrolled hypertension are at higher risk of dying from coronavirus. At least I hope so. I take two meds to keep mine under control, but the diagnosis is still there, obviously.

ETA: Catching up, I see that others have wondered the same thing. :)

Last edited:
I just Lysol sprayed the Jimmy John driver who ignored my commands to put it "over there on the food tray" he goes out out of his way to walk all the way over to my desk and proceed to breathe on me ....so I sprayed him , I said it 2x.....hope there's no legal issues but Good lord EVERY building he has been is a risk! POLL AM I CRAZY? I have 2 girls one has type 1 diabetes and asthma and 1 with just asthma, so I dont need you breathing on me !

I've just realized that my idea of keeping a log of who I've interacted with each day -- my own personal "contact tracing" if you will -- is good for more than protecting others if I end up sick -- it's also a good way for me to have documentation of who I had contact with in case THEY end up sick.

I know that sounds obvious but it hadn't occurred to me until just now.

So if, for example, the lady who I see at the yarn store every few weeks, and who travels to conferences and events related to her work, ends up sick, I will know exactly which days I was in the same room as her and whether that was before or after her travel, etc.

I've been making a daily note of my contacts for about a week now. I'm not in an area of known CV cases (yet) but it's only a matter of time. I decided it would be best to establish the habit now. It takes a whopping ten seconds or so each day.

I keep meaning to start doing this log, so thanks for the reminder. :)

Nice post that made me think hard about..... What would be the difference between a modern day "Quarantine Colony" and an old time "Leper Colony "?.....moo

IMO
Nobody wants that of course, and I would hope any real official quarantine would be in a proper place for a very limited time until they no longer test positive (they claim anywhere from 2-4 weeks or more but that varies too). But that is not happening anyway, as it appears at least here in the US we are not even doing that on a consistent basis as most of the news I have read tells folks to self quarantine at home.

The officials must have missed the news that some people dont follow the self quarantine rules, and some will sneak out to run errands to go places, on top of the fact their own family members can catch it from them.

NYC Mayor urges New Yorkers to work from home

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday urged people to work from home as the coronavirus continues to spread across the U.S. and the death toll continues to rise.

“For a business that can allow more employees to telecommute, we want you to do that,” he said in a press briefing. “We simply want to reduce the number of people on mass transit just to open up some more space.”

“The challenge,” he continued, “is people just packed like sardines” in New York City, where he said it can be much easier to transmit disease among tight crowds.

Coronavirus live updates: Italy cases see largest single-day rise, US airfare drops

Re BBM
I dont know as I have lost track of how many cruise ships actually had cases of this as compared to the ones that were denied port entry and other news about them. The two I am aware of are the Diamond Princess Cruise ship and the Grand Princess ship. Those two for sure had positive cases on board.
There was also a Nile River Cruise associated with confirmed cases. There were three other Princess ships that had recently received staff from the Grand not allowed to sail until those crew members are tested. I don’t know if all have been tested yet.

Canada reports its first death

... a resident at a British Columbia long-term care facility, the province’s health officer Bonnie Henry said on Monday at a press conference.

Henry said on Saturday that two residents at the Lynn Valley Care Centre in North Vancouver had tested positive after a health worker at the facility was found to have the virus.

Coronavirus live updates: Italy cases see largest single-day rise, US airfare drops

I just Lysol sprayed the Jimmy John driver who ignored my commands to put it "over there on the food tray" he goes out out of his way to walk all the way over to my desk and proceed to breathe on me ....so I sprayed him , I said it 2x.....hope there's no legal issues but Good lord EVERY building he has been is a risk! POLL AM I CRAZY? I have 2 girls one has type 1 diabetes and asthma and 1 with just asthma, so I dont need you breathing on me !
LMAOOO I’m sooo sorry this is serious but you made me literally bust out laughing. Oh God I needed that. Wish I wasn’t so visual sometimes. This is not one of those times though. Lol! MOO

My aerospace engineer son who has ALWAYS told me 'airplanes safest travel' now saying he wouldn't get on a plane now unless they stuck a gun to his head (which his company is not doing, all non essential travel a no go). It ain't the filtered air that will get you, its the sniffler next to you...and no, this is NOT the flu.

One final post relating to the corona virus for the day. <modsnip: off topic>

Journals Open Access to Coronavirus Resources

Scientists and medical professionals around the globe have been relying on freely available studies, resources, and datasets to quickly inform treatment strategies, public health initiatives, and drug development.

Journals Open Access to Coronavirus Resources
The Scientist - Media Bias/Fact Check

PRO-SCIENCE

These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.

Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Notes: The Scientist is a professional magazine intended for life scientists. Coverage includes reviews of widely noticed research papers, informing its audience of current research, updates to technology, updates to career information, profiles of scientists achieving notoriety, as well as other columns and reports of interest to its audience. (D. Van Zandt 7/18/2017)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE
Coronavirus

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics