Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finland's president stops staff from shaking hands

The staff of Finland's President Sauli Niinistö no longer shake hands when they meet, in a bid to contain the virus.

"As of last week, people no longer shake hands when they meet. Participation in meetings and traveling on government business will be limited to a minimum by using video conference facilities whenever possible. Additionally, no groups of visitors are received at the presidential palace until further notice," the statement wrote.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases increase across the world - CNN

India replaces cell phone ringing tone with coronavirus prevention tips

If you make a call in India, you might get some health tips.

A voice message featuring tips on how to protect yourself against coronavirus has replaced the usual ringing tone for mobile phone users in India.

Nearly 1.2 billion subscribers of telecoms networks have been hearing a recorded message when they dial out.

The voice message begins with a cough. “Always protect your face with a handkerchief or tissue while coughing or sneezing. Wash your hands with soap frequently," the announcement, voiced by a woman, goes on to say.

"Avoid touching your face, eyes, or nose. If someone has cough, fever, or breathlessness maintain one meter distance. If needed, visit your nearest health center immediately,” it adds.

In New Delhi, the public service announcement is said in Hindi and then English. It ends when the receiver picks up the call.

India currently has 43 confirmed cases of the virus.

Why US stock trading took a 15-minute break this morning

Stocks resumed trading at 9:49 a.m. ET, after the New York Stock Exchange halted activity for 15 minutes.

What this is about: The NYSE has a series of “circuit breakers” that will kick in to halt market trading if we see severe declines in the S&P 500 index. It's basically an automatic breather to try and calm market.

There are three levels:
  • Level 1, when there's a 7% decrease – 15 minute halt
  • Level 2, when there's a 13% decrease – 15 minute halt
  • Level 3, when there's a 20% decrease – the market closes for the day

This is one of the most disturbing reports I have seen. First of all as mentioned up thread this would be deaths among younger people...180 soldiers.. who are younger and probably strong men at this stage and it says the deaths were in January and February which is early on. This does not add up. Did North Korea send infected soldiers to guard the borders for some sick plan?

I would assume he executed them all when they got sick, you know he's such a great guy and all.

Trump campaign 'proceeding normally,' but no rallies scheduled

There are few things President Trump says he enjoys more than a large-scale rally with thousands of cheering supporters. And while he has pledged to keep up the pace amid concerns about large gathering as the coronavirus outbreak intensifies, his re-election campaign has not announced any upcoming rallies for the weeks ahead, marking the first time without one on the calendar this year.

The campaign maintains it is “proceeding normally” and simply hasn’t made any future plans public. “We will announce rallies when we are ready to do so," principal deputy communications director Erin Perrine told NBC News. "President Trump had a town hall this week, a fundraiser, and we have loads of campaign events on the event schedule on the website.”

Those “events” are mostly smaller gatherings for volunteer trainings but there is one “Women for Trump” event on the books with Second Lady Karen Pence next week in Pennsylvania.

When asked at the CDC on Friday whether he’d considered not having rallies due to coronavirus fears, the president told reporters: “No, I haven’t.” He doubled down on that over the weekend, when he said he expects “tremendous rallies” to take place but did not offer any specifics beyond that.

“We're doing very well. And we've done a fantastic job with respect to that subject on the virus,” Trump added.

For weeks, the president has maintained that mass gatherings are “very safe.”

Trump campaign 'proceeding normally,' but no rallies scheduled

https://www.msnbc.com/kasie-dc/watc...nds-mixed-messages-on-coronavirus-80297541946

Amazon changes warehouse worker policy for March

Amazon has told its warehouse employees that they can take sick days in March without counting toward their unpaid time off.

The change comes as labor experts have warned that hourly workers and those without sick leave could be at higher risk of both catching the coronavirus and suffering severe financial repercussions as a result.

Coronavirus updates live: World markets tumble as anxiety grows in D.C.

For those that are waiting for my daily link for the WHO daily presser... my usual link (nor any others) have started their live stream yet. I'll post live feed from my usual site. I'm watching for it...

A total of 23 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Scotland up from 18 on Sunday, as first minister Nicola Sturgeon warned of a “significant outbreak” across the UK.

Sturgeon told a press briefing on Monday afternoon that none of the Scottish patients are significantly unwell and that Scotland may be a few days behind the current in some parts of the UK. “There is an increasing inevitability that we will face a significant outbreak of coronavirus across the UK,” she explained.

She said Scotland, like the rest of the UK, is still in the “containment” phase of the outbreak. Measures to “delay” the virus’s spread are introduced, the next stage of the UK’s response to the outbreak, will be “about mitigating the impact of the outbreak of the coronavirus, not eradicating it,” Sturgeon said. “And I think it’s important to say that so there is clarity even with all these measures we are in all likelihood facing over the next number of weeks a very challenging situation.”

When asked whether Scotland’s rurality will protect it from a large outbreak, Sturgeon said: “I would expect to see an increase of cases...I would not want to assume our rurality would protect us in any way from this virus. I think we would be affected broadly in the same way as the rest of the UK.”

Dr Catherine Calderwood, Scotland’s chief medical officer, said: “I wouldn’t read anything into the small numbers at the moment being reassuring. This is what happened in England at the beginning of the outbreak.”

Coronavirus live updates: UK government says 'significant' outbreak will spread at speed

How did China get to grips with its coronavirus outbreak?
World is looking at Beijing to see what lessons can be learned as new cases of infections fall
A worker cleans up a makeshift hospital in Wuhan after its last batch of cured Covid-19 patients were discharged. Photograph: Xinhua/Rex/Shutterstock
As coronavirus infections around the world rise, the number of new cases in China has plummeted dramatically, prompting some observers to look to Beijing for lessons.

In recent days, the number of daily new cases in China has gone from almost 2,000 less than three weeks ago to under 100. On Monday, China’s National Health Commission reported 40 new cases, its lowest daily since authorities began tracking the outbreak in January. According to the official figures, new infections in the rest of China, outside of Hubei province which has been hardest hit, have almost completely stopped.

China’s response to the virus has included strict social distancing, more than a month of city-wide lockdowns of Wuhan and surrounding areas, extensive public monitoring of citizens, as well as various methods of punishment and rewards to encourage adherence to such measures.

The efforts have been praised by the World Health Organization, which concluded in a report last month that China’s “bold approach” had “changed the course of a rapidly escalating and deadly epidemic.” It added: “In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious, agile, and aggressive disease containment effort in history.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member