Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Transit agency in New York City to employees: Don't wear masks on the job

The use of medical face masks has sparked friction between the MTA and the Transport Workers Union, which represents about 40,000 subway and bus workers. The agency this week ordered a train operator who refused to remove a surgical mask to sit in a break room for at least two shifts, union officials said.

"It's optics. If there is a bus operator with a mask, they feel the public is going to say, 'Oh, he's wearing a mask. Is that bus contaminated?'" TWU Local 100 President Tony Utano said of the MTA. "We feel that if our operators or any of our employees wants to wear a mask, they should be able to," Utano said. "It's just peace of mind for our people."

Patrick Warren, the MTA's chief safety officer, said in a statement that medical guidance indicated respiratory masks don't protect healthy people from the virus but are meant instead to keep those infected from spreading it.

"Since a mask is not part of the authorized uniform and not medically recommended at this time they may not be worn by uniformed MTA employees," Warren said. "In the event that guidance from federal and state health authorities should recommend a modification of this policy, it will be reevaluated at that time."

New York subway: Commuting in in the time of coronavirus in the nation's largest transit system - CNN

Olympics torch lighting ceremony will be closed to the public, says Greek committee

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic torch lighting ceremony at the site of ancient Olympia will be staged without spectators on Thursday in order to prevent the spread of the virus.

The dress rehearsal on Wednesday will also be closed to the public.

Following Thursday’s ceremony, the Olympic torch will begin a seven-day relay that will culminate with a handover ceremony in Greece on March 19.

The torch will then be flown to Japan.

Live updates: Amid coronavirus fears and oil-price drop global markets plunge - CNN

Hey, our local HS Band is heading to Disney for a week. They play in the parade and other events.

Still can't believe the state or local officials are condoning this. I hope the locals have a plan in case our kids are quarantine in Florida or Hospitalized.
Floridian here- Besides the cruise ship debacle,
I consider Disney World to be a huge petri
dish- 50,000 people every day crammed into that park. Crowded on rides, crowded in lines,
and crowded in shops.
And I'm ashamed at how our state and city
leaders AND Disney Are still inviting people to
Come On Down. All for the tourism dollar.

NORTH KOREA ALLEGEDLY LOSES 180 SOLDIERS TO VIRUS

North Korea’s military reported on March 6 that the military’s medical corps had sent a report detailing the impact of COVID-19 on the country’s soldiers to military leaders according to a Daily NK insider.

The report said that 180 soldiers had died in January and February and that approximately 3,700 soldiers are currently under quarantine.

The soldiers who had died were stationed on or around the country's border with China in North Pyongan, Chagang, Ryanggang, and North Hamgyong provinces.

Coronavirus LIVE: UK cases rise to 280 as Boris Johnson calls an emergency meeting with COBRA
Wonder if he shot them.....

Coronavirus in Italy: LIVE from Milan Central Station as 16 million are placed in quarantine

whyyyyy are they letting people leave? 90 percent of the swedes who have it now were in italy 2 weeks ago for spring break! sweden's cases are exponentially growing daily. this is outrageous. i will just say, i saw on twitter earlier a man (video footage) who has been living with his sister's dead body for 24 hours in northern italy (quarantine zone) bc no one will come and pick up her body. she was NOT elderly, either. i'm trying really hard not to panic. i'm an american living in sweden. i'm so scared of being last on the list if i needed help in a quarantine situation. it's really difficult to know how to explain this to my kid, too. i don't want to scare him, but i want him to have enough knowledge to go about his daily life more "carefully." yikes! this SUCKS. :(

Last edited:
Florida Theme Parks Keep Eye on Virus as Spring Break Nears
but VP Pence said:

Over the weekend, Vice President Mike Pence stressed it was safe for healthy Americans to travel, noting "one of our favorite places to go when my children were young and even before my children came was in Orlando."

"Whether it be Disney World, whether it be other destination, whether it be cruise ships … those most at risk are seniors with serious or chronic underlying health conditions."

"Otherwise Americans can confidently travel in this country," Pence said at a meeting with cruise industry officials in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday.

__

the above statement is exactly why people are not cancelling cruises or trips to Disney. :mad:
Shameful.
Do our citizens not realize they're being manipulated by leaders trying to not stop the
flow of dollars? Money is driving this pandemic in the US.
money will be our national downfall. watch.

Transit agency in New York City to employees: Don't wear masks on the job

The use of medical face masks has sparked friction between the MTA and the Transport Workers Union, which represents about 40,000 subway and bus workers. The agency this week ordered a train operator who refused to remove a surgical mask to sit in a break room for at least two shifts, union officials said.

"It's optics. If there is a bus operator with a mask, they feel the public is going to say, 'Oh, he's wearing a mask. Is that bus contaminated?'" TWU Local 100 President Tony Utano said of the MTA. "We feel that if our operators or any of our employees wants to wear a mask, they should be able to," Utano said. "It's just peace of mind for our people."

Patrick Warren, the MTA's chief safety officer, said in a statement that medical guidance indicated respiratory masks don't protect healthy people from the virus but are meant instead to keep those infected from spreading it.

"Since a mask is not part of the authorized uniform and not medically recommended at this time they may not be worn by uniformed MTA employees," Warren said. "In the event that guidance from federal and state health authorities should recommend a modification of this policy, it will be reevaluated at that time."

New York subway: Commuting in in the time of coronavirus in the nation's largest transit system - CNN
Gov. Cuomo are you listening?
400 TSA Agents at Orlando Intn't. Airport were this past week allowed to wear masks.
I was thrilled to see this.
Wonder what the policy is for airline employees, pilots, flight attendants??

Futures in US are down about 5% on major indices, but look at the energy futures.... CRASHING

OXYOccidental Petroleum... 19.16 -28.67%
MROMarathon Oil Corp 5.00 -26.79%
DVNDevon Energy Corp 9.97 -25.43%
PXDPioneer Natural Reso... 81.58 -22.39%
COPConocoPhillips 36.73 -18.97%

Fallen further now...

Data as of 8:57am Eastern
MROMarathon Oil Corp 4.16 -39.10%
OXYOccidental Petroleum... 16.63 -36.21%
NOVNational Oilwell Var... 10.12 -35.46%
APAApache Corp 13.95 -32.61%
DVNDevon Energy Corp 9.20 -31.19%

US Stock market just opened..
DOW down 6.9%
S&P down 6.66%
NASDAQ down 7.12%

Trading about to be halted on S&P?..

ETA: TRADING HAS HALTED for 15 minutes as circuit breaker just kicked in, will resume at 9:49

tradinghalted.JPG

Apple down 7.45%, Microsoft down 6.87%, Amazon down 7.05%, Google down 7.37 percent during halt

Last edited:
Taoiseach cancels New York leg of US St Patrick’s Day visit due to coronavirus pressures

Taoiseach cancels New York leg of US St Patrick’s Day visit due to coronavirus pressures
(Ireland)

The Taoiseach (prime minister) has cancelled a visit to New York for St Patrick’s Day festivities to concentrate on coordinating the battle against coronavirus at home, officials have confirmed.

Mr Varadkar had been due to travel to New York tomorrow as part of his USA St Patrick’s Day round of visits.
But officials today confirmed that Mr Varadkar is not travelling tomorrow and will instead go directly to Washington on Wednesday.

In fairness, he should cancel the Washington DC leg too I reckon.

ETA: As is traditional, Varadkar will meet with Trump, with their meeting due to be held in the White House Oval Office on Thursday.

Taoiseach cuts St Patrick's Day trip short to deal with evolving coronavirus situation and will not travel to New York

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member