Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Floridian here- Besides the cruise ship debacle,
I consider Disney World to be a huge petri
dish- 50,000 people every day crammed into that park. Crowded on rides, crowded in lines,
and crowded in shops.
And I'm ashamed at how our state and city
leaders AND Disney Are still inviting people to
Come On Down. All for the tourism dollar.

Speaking of Florida - What will happen when the snowbirds return to their home states? Several of our neighbors spend winters in Florida, usually from early January through mid-April. So far, Michigan has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but I worry about what happens when those who winter in Florida return home in a few weeks.

Some good news for once: plain old soap works great against COVID-19! It's not in shortage and you aren't competing with those who need it for critical medical applications. Let's hear it for plain old soap! https://t.co/GKWk1pvyI

Walter Olson on Twitter
YES!!!!

Please re-read this when you're feeling panicky or preppy (preppy as in preparation, not as in pink plaid).

Regular soap is your friend. Spend time together!

jmo

Unfortunately, IMO, the US has already missed at least most of that “small window of opportunity” due entirely to the lack of
testing.

The response by the Federal Government and the CDC has been disgraceful and NEGLIGENT to this point!!

The response thus far has not been that of a world leader, but rather like a fool stumbling about in the dark.

Mistakes are still being made on a grand scale, but the lack of testing is nothing short of appalling!!!
Pleading ignorance will not suffice! The actions of the CDC, regarding test kits, and the very limited scope of which testing was made available, should be considered nothing short of gross negligence!!! The entire world was put on notice weeks ago!
America’s first line of defense has been nothing short of a bad joke.
I am both disappointed, and disheartened.

I am :mad: !!!
I agree and it is still going to be on people's mind 11/2020!

President Donald Trump will be in Seminole County Florida on Monday. He’ll be in town for a private fundraising event and will be having lunch at a local businessman’s home. Air Force One is expected to land at Sanford International Airport on Monday morning. There is also a road sign telling traffic to stay off the shoulder between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

President Trump to attend fundraiser in Central Florida on Monday
Certainly can't cancel fundraising.

jmo

As of March 8, 36 people in Michigan had tested negative for the virus and 88 were still being monitored. Tests are pending on 11 people.

To date, 440 have been referred for assessment and or monitoring, to date, in Michigan.

Coronavirus: Latest testing, monitoring numbers in Michigan

As of Friday, the state health department said Michigan currently has the ability to test about 300 people for COVID-19. There is a strict protocol in place for deciding if someone should be tested. If you have a cough and fever, doctors will first rule out other illnesses that can look like coronavirus, like influenza.

If after that, doctors think a patient might have the coronavirus, they must call their local public health department to see if it agrees there should be a test. The local public health department will then call the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services to get final permission. Currently, MDHHS is the only place in the state that can test for the coronavirus, although Michigan Medicine is seeking authorization from the FDA to test for it.

Some things to know if the novel coronavirus makes it to Michigan

Gov. Cuomo are you listening?
400 TSA Agents at Orlando Intn't. Airport were this past week allowed to wear masks.
I was thrilled to see this.
Wonder what the policy is for airline employees, pilots, flight attendants??
To be fair, the TSA agents at airports work face to face with passengers.

MTA transit workers in NYC really don't.

There is a plexiglass screen between the bus drivers and riders. On subways, the conductors are in a separate booth, not with passengers (though they do have to stick their heads of the window at each station).

jmo

Princeton just announced we'll be moving to online instruction after spring break in an effort to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.

Seems like a wise move to do this now, before the campus gets hit hard.
Kevin M. Kruse on Twitter
The science majors - like my kids - do a lot of hands-0n work that can't be done online. :(
jmo

Health experts say virus past the point of containment
Mika Brzezinski begins the Monday, March 9 show with the latest updates on the spreading coronavirus, including remarks from the U.S. Surgeon General and Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway.March 9, 2020

MSNBC on Twitter

New York City officials confirm three additional coronavirus cases

Three additional coronavirus cases were confirmed in New York City bringing the total to 16 confirmed cases.

Kentucky's first coronavirus patient is a Walmart employee

The first cases of the novel coronavirus in Harrison County, Kentucky are a Walmart employee and a person linked to the employee.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases increase across the world - CNN

NORTH KOREA ALLEGEDLY LOSES 180 SOLDIERS TO VIRUS

North Korea’s military reported on March 6 that the military’s medical corps had sent a report detailing the impact of COVID-19 on the country’s soldiers to military leaders according to a Daily NK insider.

The report said that 180 soldiers had died in January and February and that approximately 3,700 soldiers are currently under quarantine.

The soldiers who had died were stationed on or around the country's border with China in North Pyongan, Chagang, Ryanggang, and North Hamgyong provinces.

Coronavirus LIVE: UK cases rise to 280 as Boris Johnson calls an emergency meeting with COBRA
This is one of the most disturbing reports I have seen. First of all as mentioned up thread this would be deaths among younger people...180 soldiers.. who are younger and probably strong men at this stage and it says the deaths were in January and February which is early on. This does not add up. Did North Korea send infected soldiers to guard the borders for some sick plan?

Icymi this is what first responders at one of the main clusters of coronavirus found when they entered the Life Care Center less than a week ago:

When first responders reported last week to the Life Care Center in Kirkland WA, they found an understaffed facility with inadequate gear attempting to serve dozens of patients vulnerable to catching the virus, a first responder familiar with the situation tells me. 1

2/ There were only 3 staff members at Life Care Center Tuesday night/Wednesday morning for about 90 residents, the first responder tells me.

Neither the King County Health Department nor CDC sent personnel Thursday to provide assistance -- though they have since.

3/ Moreover, first responders were concerned that Life Care Center staff members were NOT wearing appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) to handle the high number of patients with probable coronavirus.

4/ And: first responders had been told NOT to use positive pressure bag valve masks to ventilate potential coronavirus patients because they can disperse more particulate into the air, the responder said.

Yet the Life Care Center staffers were using those masks.
5/ More here:

Jake Tapper on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads