Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what church this is?!
Maybe this one?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...567796-61fa-11ea-845d-e35b0234b136_story.html
''March 9, 2020 at 10:26 a.m. EDT
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

D.C. officials on Monday urged hundreds who attended Christ Church Georgetown on several recent days to self-quarantine because of their exposure to the Rev. Timothy Cole, the church rector who is the first known coronavirus patient in the District.

Cole tested positive for coronavirus Saturday and is hospitalized at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in stable condition.

Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced the self-quarantine recommendation at a news conference as local authorities try to contain the spread of the virus.''

Perhaps he covers this in his video, but I want to pipe in to remind everyone that sunshine is a good source of Vitamin D. If you can spend a bit of time outdoors and get some sun on your skin safely, it's good....and it's good for mental health to spend time outdoors too - the outdoors can lift spirits, which in turns, gives us energy to do what we need to do to stay healthy.

(Yes, I am aware that not everyone in every location can spend time in the sun, even for a few minutes. I am assuming people here know their own safety limits.)

jmo

Regal Princess is currently in her berth at Port Everglades. Scheduled for departure this evening at dusk; specific time TBD. Regal Princess was supposed to depart (new voyage) yesterday but was delayed due to COVID-19 testing. It amazes me that people are still willing to take the chance on sailing with possibly-infected passengers and/or crew. If I had a cruise scheduled now, I would have canceled at the first sign of trouble.

Port Everglades Webcam - Live Streaming Video from PTZtv

Trump campaign 'proceeding normally,' but no rallies scheduled

There are few things President Trump says he enjoys more than a large-scale rally with thousands of cheering supporters. And while he has pledged to keep up the pace amid concerns about large gathering as the coronavirus outbreak intensifies, his re-election campaign has not announced any upcoming rallies for the weeks ahead, marking the first time without one on the calendar this year.

The campaign maintains it is “proceeding normally” and simply hasn’t made any future plans public. “We will announce rallies when we are ready to do so," principal deputy communications director Erin Perrine told NBC News. "President Trump had a town hall this week, a fundraiser, and we have loads of campaign events on the event schedule on the website.”

Those “events” are mostly smaller gatherings for volunteer trainings but there is one “Women for Trump” event on the books with Second Lady Karen Pence next week in Pennsylvania.

When asked at the CDC on Friday whether he’d considered not having rallies due to coronavirus fears, the president told reporters: “No, I haven’t.” He doubled down on that over the weekend, when he said he expects “tremendous rallies” to take place but did not offer any specifics beyond that.

“We're doing very well. And we've done a fantastic job with respect to that subject on the virus,” Trump added.

For weeks, the president has maintained that mass gatherings are “very safe.”

Trump campaign 'proceeding normally,' but no rallies scheduled

Eyeroll!!!!

Regal Princess is currently in her berth at Port Everglades. Scheduled for departure this evening at dusk; specific time TBD. Regal Princess was supposed for departure (new voyage) yesterday but was delayed due to COVID-19 testing. It amazes me that people are still willing to take the chance on sailing with possibly-infected passengers and/or crew. If I had a cruise scheduled now, I would have canceled at the first sign of trouble.

You could not pay me to take a cruise-- I guess some people live in a world of denial----

Video about exponential growth. Easy to understand.

This video is brilliant, thanks again Oddsocks!

From this we can get an idea how the epidemiologists can make these 'magic' predictions that they do!

I feel like I need to watch it a few more times to really take it in. But I wish all the politicians and policy-makers in the world could watch it even once!

Perhaps he covers this in his video, but I want to pipe in to remind everyone that sunshine is a good source of Vitamin D. If you can spend a bit of time outdoors and get some sun on your skin safely, it's good....and it's good for mental health to spend time outdoors too - the outdoors can lift spirits, which in turns, gives us energy to do what we need to do to stay healthy.

(Yes, I am aware that not everyone in every location can spend time in the sun, even for a few minutes. I am assuming people here know their own safety limits.)

jmo

It's like zinc. Vitamin D is well known for us older folks that we need supplements. I used to do it, and then I got complacent, and now I have purchased recently to now again take. It's not a cure, it's just that it's important to get up to normal needed levels to take, and that is proven science. Vitamin D is Same with zinc. Having excess doesn't help (not yet proven) but having low levels is bad. (Yet I've got those zinc drops for my trip and in my house as anectodally, many agree it is good when you think you are at the onset of a cold etc)

Additionally, smokers are well known to have low vitamin D levels.

All MOO.

Warning about scams, be aware....

As the novel coronavirus continues to spread both in the US and across the globe, the Better Business Bureau and the World Health Organisation have issued warnings about potential scammers taking advantage of the outbreak.
Multiple attorneys general offices - including North Carolina and Washington, DC - have issued warnings about criminals who may set up fake websites, send emails or texts, or post on social media in an attempt to profit illegally.

WHO has said it will never ask for direct donations to emergency response plans via email, separate websites, calls or texts.

To prevent phishing, WHO recommends users verify the sender by checking their email address, check any links before clicking, be wary of anyone asking for personal information and to report any scams they see to their attorney general office.
How to avoid falling for coronavirus scams
Also fake CDC members going house to house and knocking on doors for entrance. This according an email sent to my daughter and SIL in their NJ (close to NYC) city. Emotion ahead *I detest people like this.

Speaking of Florida - What will happen when the snowbirds return to their home states? Several of our neighbors spend winters in Florida, usually from early January through mid-April. So far, Michigan has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but I worry about what happens when those who winter in Florida return home in a few weeks.

Well I am one of those snow birds. I would imagine if I am fortunate enough not to get the virus, there is no danger for me or the public traveling back to Michigan. However, I have a concern, hoping I don't contract the virus on the way home: I have a concern about all the places we stop on the way home including the hotel: who knows who slept in the room before us? I am one of those people at risk ( 75 years old with asthma)----and a husband who has an aversion to washing his hands- I am always yelling at him "wash your hands"-- I don't get it- I wash my hands 20 times a day including every single time we go to the store --- he doesn't seem to realize the seriousness of this virus- perhaps that's because he listens to Dear Leader---- that must be it.

*starting to wonder why no live feed for WHO yet.. it was scheduled for 10 am.. yet no live feeds*

Dr Mike and Dr Tedros.... waiting for you and Maria

ETA: Links now say 11 am, but after that and still not livestream started

Last edited:

jmo
Take advantage. On the east coast today (NJ) it's currently 60 and headed to 70 degrees. Bright Vitamin D-filled sunshine as well. "Zecats" are already on the screened porch. Cats sure do know how to enjoy the moment. :)

Unfortunately, IMO, the US has already missed at least most of that “small window of opportunity” due entirely to the lack of
testing.

The response by the Federal Government and the CDC has been disgraceful and NEGLIGENT to this point!!

The response thus far has not been that of a world leader, but rather like a fool stumbling about in the dark.

Mistakes are still being made on a grand scale, but the lack of testing is nothing short of appalling!!!
Pleading ignorance will not suffice! The actions of the CDC, regarding test kits, and the very limited scope of which testing was made available, should be considered nothing short of gross negligence!!! The entire world was put on notice weeks ago!
America’s first line of defense has been nothing short of a bad joke.
I am both disappointed, and disheartened.

I am :mad: !!!

100% with you on all of this post What if.

Well I am one of those snow birds. I would imagine if I am fortunate enough not to get the virus, there is no danger for me or the public traveling back to Michigan. However, I have a concern, hoping I don't contract the virus on the way home: I have a concern about all the places we stop on the way home including the hotel: who knows who slept in the room before us? I am one of those people at risk ( 75 years old with asthma)----and a husband who has an aversion to washing his hands- I am always yelling at him "wash your hands"-- I don't get it- I wash my hands 20 times a day including every single time we go to the store --- he doesn't seem to realize the seriousness of this virus- perhaps that's because he listens to Dear Leader---- that must be it.

I hope you and your husband stay well as you continue to enjoy the Florida sun. DH and I are always happy to escape Michigan winter for a week or two (usually on a cruise). Fortunately, we sailed in late January before COVID-19 surged.

Last edited:
My yoga teacher read this poem to us in class yesterday.
snipped

I am printing this right now. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

The hoarding and snatching (often unnecessary) items is not healthy. Sharing and making sure everyone has what they need, not just yourself, is what I think we need to commit to.

I don't want to just survive. I want to survive as a decent person.

THANK YOU for sharing this. Totally brightens my day, puts a spring in my step, encourages me that there are others thinking - and behaving - like this.

Washing hands, sacred act.

jmo

Yeah 6 foot rule can’t work realistically when people HAVE to ride buses, Ubers, etc moo and work. Period.
The time may have to come when people have to stop working like what happened in Wuhan.

Any reports on transmission so far via public transportation coming out of any countries so far?

As soon as this hits someone personally maybe they will take it more seriously. It’s gonna happen, moo.

I liked the post that someone made a few threads ago when talking about the cruise ships.

They were saying that each person travels on a plane of x people even to get to the cruise ship.

So it's that number of human interactions that needs to be cut down, I think, especially when those interactions are in close physical proximity, like in the planes, trains, buses, etc.

I would think that a crowd at a music concert type event would also create a nightmare for contact tracing -- worse than on a plane where there's a record of the passengers kept and you know who sat where.

I think things like football matches in stadia are complicated though, as each person isn't going to come into close contact with every other person there. Even if there are 5000 people on the other side of the stadium, if there's only one infectious individual present in the crowd, the 5000 over the other side will come in via a separate entrance, a separate queue of people, in a different car, coach, or train. So the virus isn't going to spread to the entire crowd of 10,000 people that way. But each individual who has the virus could come into close proximity to a number of people, the people standing close to them, on their way to the refreshments on bathrooms, the people in the same car/bus/train on the journey there and the journey back. Just having people come in separate cars would probably help to reduce the spread at such events by almost as much as it would to cancel the entire event, now I think about it. Maybe this is one of the reasons that our UK government sounded so tentative about taking such measures and were saying they aren't all that effective anyway?

It does make me curious exactly what measures they might implement when the time comes. I think our government will be guided by people who understand all those exponential growth curves and who have access to very good modeling software to help them better predict which social-distancing measures have how much effect vs how much frustration they cause to business and to people who still have things they need to do (grocery shopping, emergency doctors appointments, going to their job at the hospital, supermarket, or police station) while under the social distancing rules.

Regal Princess is currently in her berth at Port Everglades. Scheduled for departure this evening at dusk; specific time TBD. Regal Princess was supposed to depart (new voyage) yesterday but was delayed due to COVID-19 testing. It amazes me that people are still willing to take the chance on sailing with possibly-infected passengers and/or crew. If I had a cruise scheduled now, I would have canceled at the first sign of trouble.

Port Everglades Webcam - Live Streaming Video from PTZtv

I agree. I wouldn’t be going on a cruise anytime soon. Here’s an interesting site regarding this topic. Showing results for 'Coronavirus'. - Cruise Critic Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01