Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there is a 14 days quarantine. What if a person gets infected on day 10? Shouldn't the quarantine start 14 days again from the date of the 10 day infection? Those getting off the ship and onto a plane could infect without knowing it. My understanding is the original 14 days have not yet expired. I would not wish to be on that evacuation plane.

Where are the 355 that have the virus going to be held and for how long?

The 355 positive/sick are being held in local hospitals in Japan.

As to which groups had to restart the 14 days...Who knows how they are gonna handle it now as I bet it's all getting revisited. The US plane is on its way.

U.S. State Department will evacuate Americans from the quarantined cruise ship tomorrow morning

Americans on board the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship will have to undergo another 14-day quarantine in America before returning home.

The United States State Department will evacuate Americans on Sunday, February 16, at 10 p.m. Tokyo time (6 a.m. local time), flying them to Travis Air Force Base in California.

According to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, passengers will be screened for symptoms of coronavirus, now referred to as CODVID-19, before boarding a U.S. Chartered flight. Passengers will then either stay at Travis Air Force Base or be transferred to Lackland Air Force Base for a 14-day quarantine.

Passengers who elect to not board a U.S. Charter flight are unable to return to the United States for a period of time, determined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

ETA Abels video says they have to do another two weeks on the ship!

Last edited:
Millions to be told 'stay at home' if coronavirus spreads: ANYONE with flu-like symptoms could be told to stay off work under dramatic new plans - as global death toll soars past 1,600

People suffering flu-like symptoms could be ordered to 'self-isolate' for a fortnight if the number of coronaviruscases in the UK rises.

Millions with flu-like symptoms could be told to stay off work if coronavirus spreads | Daily Mail Online

806A9FBC-A2EB-45C7-9DBE-F276DEBDBCC5.jpeg 1B3F9511-DEEE-425E-81D4-4782C86C5FBC.jpeg D35D4BDD-369F-44E6-A122-B1CF5AF7D07B.jpeg

I’m really worried about how prepared the U.K is prepared for this. These are the pods they are putting in NHS hospital car parks to isolate possible coronavirus patients.

The NHS is in a shocking state as it is. In the biggest NHS hospital in Scotland which is only a few years old water contamination has killed children with cancer. I’ve been a patient in the hospital and you are warned by hospital staff not to drink the tap water. The hospital is the Queen Elizabeth in Glasgow and I had to bring my own water. Patients are also dying from bird waste infections in it too. It is absolutely shocking.

The private hospitals here don’t have A&E departments or emergency staff to cope with life threatening conditions. If you are seriously ill you are taken to the NHS hospital.

The 355 positive/sick are being held in local hospitals in Japan.

As to which groups had to restart the 14 days...Who knows how they are gonna handle it now as I bet it's all getting revisited. The US plane is on its way.

U.S. State Department will evacuate Americans from the quarantined cruise ship tomorrow morning

Americans on board the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship will have to undergo another 14-day quarantine in America before returning home.

The United States State Department will evacuate Americans on Sunday, February 16, at 10 p.m. Tokyo time (6 a.m. local time), flying them to Travis Air Force Base in California.

According to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, passengers will be screened for symptoms of coronavirus, now referred to as CODVID-19, before boarding a U.S. Chartered flight. Passengers will then either stay at Travis Air Force Base or be transferred to Lackland Air Force Base for a 14-day quarantine.

Passengers who elect to not board a U.S. Charter flight are unable to return to the United States for a period of time, determined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A quarantine at Travis or Lackland does not address a possible carrier spread on the plane. To board the plane the idea is a person does not have the virus. It would be unknown if such person is a carrier. So far IMO the US Government/CDC hasn't responded in what I believe is an effective manner. Most people I have talked with (US) are unconcerned, as if this will never affect them. Time for a wake up call from CDC. This is a pandemic.

Is there any way to verify the accuracy of this?
Confirmation in several other sources......here is one.

Zhan Qingyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said even people who have recovered may not be immune to the virus.

"For those patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of a relapse," he said in a briefing on Friday. "The antibody will be generated; however, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long."

People could get the novel coronavirus more than once, health experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

A quarantine at Travis or Lackland does not address a possible carrier spread on the plane. To board the plane the idea is a person does not have the virus. It would be unknown if such person is a carrier. So far IMO the US Government/CDC hasn't responded in what I believe is an effective manner. Most people I have talked with (US) are unconcerned, as if this will never affect them. Time for a wake up call from CDC. This is a pandemic.

Personal update- my town has completely sold out of hand sanitizer. I went to 5 stores. Others were in line asking for them as well. I looked up how to make my own so I bought ingredients to do that.

Most places I went to are sold out of plastic gloves, but I did find some at one store.

Signs all over saying masks were sold out, and I saw a sign on a coffee shop door asking anyone who has been to China in past 2 weeks to please not come in.

So there is an odd mix of no one seeming to care (local news is very nonchalant, and no one is talking about it), and yet people are stockpiling masks and sanitizer. Interesting study in human behavior.

MOO

"The mandate came as the Chinese government disclosed that hundreds of medical workers who had been helping combat the coronavirus outbreak had become infected and at least six had died". New Cases Are Reported as Beijing Sets New Rules
So, when China says "hundreds", what does that mean exactly? 200 hundred? 900 hundred?
How many not yet tested?

These wonderful, brave people for the most part are WALKING to their jobs!
Risking their own lives and the possibility that they will infect their own family members by doing this job.
If there is anyone in China who really knows what's going on, it's these medical practitioners.

They are in dire need of protective gear. Which the Chinese government is NOT supplying.

China went through this with SARS. Did they learn and implement nothing from that??? So it appears, to me.

DAMMIT FTLOG get those folks off that ship! More cases!

70 new cases in Japan. They were found on the “Diamond Princess” cruise ship off Yokohama, raising the ship’s total to 355.

70 new cruise ships New virus infection confirmed to a total of 355

February 16, 2020 10:27

Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare Kato confirmed 70 new cases of infection on the "Diamond Princess" cruise ship, which was confirmed to be infected with the new coronavirus, and crews and passengers have confirmed infection so far. It was revealed that a total of 355 people had been sent.

Google translated from クルーズ船 新たに70人 新型ウイルス感染確認 計355人に | NHKニュース

I dread that anyone, but gosh if it's the Abel's that have been doing youtube videos. This shows that the 14 days is wrong, or massive transmission on board so that anyone coming off tomorrow/Sunday without more quarantine is doubtful. Perhaps the reason that those coming back to States will have 14 more days? I don't think that there is any way in heck that anyone/ everyone will be released on Sunday now if they are still negative unless perhaps by airplane by their county. MOO

ETA I wonder what the guy who did not want to get off the ship and come back to US is thinking now... SMDH Quarantined cruise ship passenger speaks out against US coronavirus evacuation plan

Also, the Abel's were using a ships humidifier. I wonder if that is something that might be used by one passenger, then passing along the aerosolized virus in those humidifiers? MOO the last thing you want to put in a room is something that has microscopic air droplets to pass around and carry a virus particle from two people in a room or reusing from a sick person prior. They were both coughing this am.

ETA Abels video says they have to do another two weeks on the ship!

Why another two weeks?

Humidifiers can be dangerous. I started getting randomly sick a couple years ago. It always happened after I had been at my office and left into cold, dry air. I felt like I had the flu really badly. I couldn’t move. It was like a migraine without the headache. But intensively achy all over my body.

I got tons of testing. Finally realized it was my humidifier. The water looked clean and I didn’t know it had to be completely drained and cleaned out and dried between uses. Total mess.

Personal update- my town has completely sold out of hand sanitizer. I went to 5 stores. Others were in line asking for them as well. I looked up how to make my own so I bought ingredients to do that.

Most places I went to are sold out of plastic gloves, but I did find some at one store.

Signs all over saying masks were sold out, and I saw a sign on a coffee shop door asking anyone who has been to China in past 2 weeks to please not come in.

So there is an odd mix of no one seeming to care (local news is very nonchalant, and no one is talking about it), and yet people are stockpiling masks and sanitizer. Interesting study in human behavior.

MOO

I went to Walmart tonight. Packed. Lots of people sneezing and coughing. A tiny handful wearing face masks. Mostly tourists. (I’m by Disney so there’s a lot of people aways here from other countries).

People walking around there with their newborns and infants. Small children. No one really seemed to care about any kind of germs.

JMO
I really do hope this fizzles out eventually.

Read an interesting theory. If the worse case happens and it ends up staying for good, then maybe it will level out with the Flu and equalize without causing much more overall totals than we have each year already with flu because those that would catch it should not be catching regular Flu at the same time.

Would that happen or would it not matter and just add to regular flu totals?

That’s a really good question, and I have no idea what the long term answer would be, but I think they would have to keep the statistics separate for awhile.

While on the subject of the flu and data, I have to say that all of the recent headline comparisons of the flu and the COVID-19 virus have really bothered me lately. I know that, year to date, the flu has caused more deaths globally (or at least based on the reported numbers from China), but if we take a look at the “worst case scenario” based on guesstimates, this virus has the potential to make the flu look like child’s play.
I honestly don’t have much faith in any of the numbers that are being published right now. Too many unknowns, too many variables, inaccurate data being reporting, lack of test kits, etc,...

So, out of curiosity, I ran some quick numbers to see what the “worst case scenario” would look like based on the current high end assumptions.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THE FOLLOWING IS A STATISTICAL WORST CASE SCENARIO. THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY VARIABLES CURRENTLY IN PLAY FOR ANYONE TO PROJECT OR FORECAST WHAT THE END RESULTS WILL BE. THIS POST IS INTENDED FOR AWARENESS - NOT TO SOUND ANY ALARMS OR TO RAISE FEAR AND ANXIETY.
I’ll also add that I believe the actions and precautions being put in place by the WHO, and most world governments, will have a major impact on the final outcome. By implementing control measures, the number of potential fatalities will be greatly reduced, even in the event of a global pandemic. With that being said - the rest of this post is a high level snapshot of the worst case scenario using only raw data and excludes any policies aimed at controlling the variables.

WARNING!!
SCARY NUMBERS AHEAD!!

I started with looking up the number of deaths attributed to the flu on an annual basis and found the following from the CDC that was published in December of 2017

CDC Press Releases

From that article:
“According to new estimates published today, between 291,000 and 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each year, higher than a previous estimate of 250,000 to 500,000 and based on a robust, multinational survey.”

From there, I used numbers posted throughout this thread to come up with the following:

Somewhere upthread, someone posted an article wherein one of the scientist predicted that if the quarantines fail, he believed 60% to 80% of the world population could get infected.
The range on the assumptions of the mortality rate seem to be running between 2% & 5% (I think 3% is the most widely published number right now, and I have seen estimates that are below 2%, as well as estimates well above 5%)
It’s obvious the numbers are all over the board, but I opted to go with 80% infected & 5% mortality rate for the worst possible outcome.

Current global population is approximately 7.8 billion people.

World Population Clock: 7.8 Billion People (2020) - Worldometer

80% would be 6.24 billion people

5% of 6.24 billion = 312 million people

What I don’t know is how long it is projected to take for 80% of the population to catch the virus, so I can’t say that this would be an annual number. Irregardless, 312 million, IMO, would be a MUCH greater issue than the flu, even if the flu runs at the high end of 646,000 deaths annually.
To put this in perspective, the current population of the US is currently 331 million.

United States Population (2020) - Worldometer

Even at the lower end, the number is staggering. 60% world population infected @ 2% mortality rate = 93.6 million!

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND - we really don’t know where this is all going to end up. Historically speaking, several very devastating viruses have ran their course in very short order and just kind of fade away - hopefully this one will do the same. However, there have also been several historical pandemics that had a large impact on the world population.

IMOO - My point being, although it is statistically true that the flu is CURRENTLY more dangerous than the COVID-19 virus, the POTENTIAL danger of the COVID-19 virus should not be downplayed.
Comparing CURRENT NUMBERS should be used to raise awareness of the impact the flu has on our world, and knowing that the CURRENT NUMBERS reflect that the flu is currently larger than COVID-19 should be used to calm nerves. However, IMO, those who report on the matter are misrepresenting the true scale of this event if they don’t simultaneously bring awareness to the POTENTIAL global impact of the COVID-19 virus.

The COVID-19 virus is new - it is in its infancy. To directly compare it to the flu at this point is to compare apples to oranges.
To me, it’s like comparing an adult black bear to a baby grizzly. It wouldn’t be ethical to run a headline of “Black Bears are Deadlier than Grizzlies” based on such a comparison! Yet, here we are...

"The mandate came as the Chinese government disclosed that hundreds of medical workers who had been helping combat the coronavirus outbreak had become infected and at least six had died". New Cases Are Reported as Beijing Sets New Rules
So, when China says "hundreds", what does that mean exactly? 200 hundred? 900 hundred?
How many not yet tested?

These wonderful, brave people for the most part are WALKING to their jobs!
Risking their own lives and the possibility that they will infect their own family members by doing this job.
If there is anyone in China who really knows what's going on, it's these medical practitioners.

They are in dire need of protective gear. Which the Chinese government is NOT supplying.

China went through this with SARS. Did they learn and implement nothing from that??? So it appears, to me.

WHO daily briefing disclosed such numbers "1,716 infections and 6 deaths of health care workers."

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

Saw a Walmart employee wearing a face mask at San Antonio Walmart. Good for him. Just wondering what his boss is going to say. Will he be made to remove it?

IMO I don't think any quarantine will work. There are asymptomatic individuals who will be let into the general population. Gonna happen.

I went to Walmart tonight. Packed. Lots of people sneezing and coughing. A tiny handful wearing face masks. Mostly tourists. (I’m by Disney so there’s a lot of people aways here from other countries).

People walking around there with their newborns and infants. Small children. No one really seemed to care about any kind of germs.

I think we all tend to be somewhat numb to devastating global news headlines. We also tend to live in a bit of denial that we will end up dealing with a situation that’s occurring on the other side of the world. In some ways that could be considered a good thing - it keeps us from being paralyzed in fear. But in cases such as this one, the opposite is true.
We see wars, riots, civil unrest, wildfires, earthquakes, etc, in the news everyday. But we continue with daily life and give it little thought until a situation actually hits close to home.
It’s also important to remember that when SARS & the Bird Flu hit, the real damage was primarily contained within China. I would venture to guess that only a small percentage of people are following this outbreak as closely as we are here. If I only followed the headline news, I think I would see this as a terrible event occurring primarily in China, but it “appears” as though the governments are taking enough proactive measures to prevent a global pandemic from occurring.

Unfortunately, the numbness and denial that allow us to function with normalcy also hinder preparedness. Without preparedness, we’ll probably witness panic and chaos if any of our major cities experience a breakout of epidemic levels

Right now we're in an aggressive containment mode," CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta in an interview on Thursday.

"We don't know a lot about this virus," he said. "This virus is probably with us beyond this season, beyond this year, and I think eventually the virus will find a foothold and we will get community-based transmission."

"The containment phase is really to give us more time. This virus will become a community virus at some point in time, this year or next year," Redfield said. "We don't have any evidence that this coronavirus is really embedded in the community at this time, but with that said, we want to intensify our surveillance so that we're basing those conclusions based on data."

CDC director: Novel coronavirus 'is probably with us beyond this season, beyond this year'

Last edited:
Forget Sars, the new coronavirus threatens a meltdown in China’s economy
  • Sars’ fatality rate may be higher than Covid-19’s, but economically speaking the new coronavirus is far more deadly
This time around, a worst-case scenario of financial collapse, foreign exodus and large-scale bankruptcy cannot be ruled out

Forget Sars, the coronavirus threatens a meltdown in China’s economy

News article from the South China Morning Post.

Can you even imagine that could be forced to abort your baby because your government tells you, you must? Can you imagine not being able to talk about your government or risk yourself, and family members being thrown into jail?
Can you imagine, being a doctor, trying to warn the people you know about a deadly disease, then being arrested for doing so?
I hope that my imaginings do not get me a time out. Here.
That was 50 years ago. I thought we were taking about something more recent. Like in North Korea.

As evidenced by the difficulty of obtaining N95 masks, some people are paying attention, but what about cooperating with health organizations as a world wide effort? The WHO is all definitions and statistics. All I read is about how individual countries are handling the situation. Isolationism is not going to work with something as serious as this.

Sounds to me like people running around without a clue what to do. No true or trustworthy information.
I'm going to say. That's the problem.
obviously, the world has figured out that contrary to initial reports... This is not a flu bug. This is way more dangerous, deadly and spreadable.
I've never heard of doctors and nurses dropping dead for treating a patient with the flu.

I think taken separately, we have read all of those claims earlier on the threads, and appears accurate that

you can get reinfected has been theorized
folks with heart disease are high risk for MERS/SARS/COVID-19 coronaviruses, https://www.acc.org/~/media/665AFA1E710B4B3293138D14BE8D1213.pdf is a good short, quick read..and if secondary infection could be very disastrous
that the test kits are invalid and miss some cases
that folks have been positive/negative/positive for same person - some theorize test not taken right and/or test not good or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot