Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the number of people in the U.S. testing positive for novel coronavirus ticks upward, the White House scrambled Monday to prepare a hefty emergency spending request for Congress to respond to the global outbreak.

Several sources told ABC News the figure could be around $1 billion, although they cautioned that the final number remains in flux.

How exactly that money will be used is still unclear, although it will likely be the subject of questions Tuesday when Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar testifies before the Senate Appropriations Committee. Also on Tuesday, several administration officials were expected to deliver a briefing to senators containing some classified information on coronavirus.

White House prepares emergency spending request for coronavirus

It's about time we got ahold of the Wuchan Virology Lab Cafeteria menu......
Apparently a rumour they are trying to shut down..
Virology institute has a 'clear conscience' - Chinadaily.com.cn
Feb 21 2020 rbbm.
''Established in 1956, the institute, which is the top virology research agency in China and home to Asia's highest-level biosafety lab, has been besieged by rumors and controversies since the outbreak. These rumors included the virus being artificially engineered or leaked from the institute's P4 biosecurity lab.

They also attacked the institute's leaders and its staff, claiming the first patient of the virus was one of its graduate students and questioning the competence of its director.''

''On Monday, Chen Quanjiao, a researcher from the institute, refuted a conspiracy theory posted by Sina Weibo user "Weiketiezhi" who claimed that Chen had reported the head of the institute Wang Yanyi for selling experimental animals and leaking the virus from a lab.''

The lockdown of Guo Jing's neighbourhood in Wuhan –- the city at the heart of China's new coronavirus epidemic –- came suddenly and without warning.

Unable to go out, the 29-year-old is now sealed inside her compound where she has to depend on online group-buying services to get food.

"Living for at least another month isn't an issue," Guo told AFP, explaining that she had her own stash of pickled vegetables and salted eggs.

"I still don't know where to buy things once we've finished eating what we have at home," said Pan Hongsheng, who lives with his wife and two children.

Some neighbourhoods have organised group-buying services, where supermarkets deliver orders in bulk.

But in Pan's community, "no one cares".

"The three-year-old doesn't even have any milk powder left," Pan told AFP, adding that he has been unable to send medicine to his in-laws -- both in their eighties -- as they live in a different area.

Another supermarket told AFP it capped its daily delivery load to 1,000 orders per day.

"Hiring staff is difficult," said Wang Xiuwen, who works at the store's logistics division, adding that they are wary about hiring too many outsiders for fear of infection.

- 'Already rotten' -

Closing off communities has split the city into silos, with different neighbourhoods rolling out controls of varying intensity.

In some compounds, residents have easier access to food -- albeit a smaller selection than normal -- and one woman said her family pays delivery drivers to run grocery errands.

Her compound has not been sealed off either, the 24-year-old told AFP under condition of anonymity, though they are limited to one person leaving at a time.

Some districts have implemented their own rules, such as prohibiting supermarkets from selling to individuals, forcing neighbourhoods to buy in bulk or not at all.

"In the neighbourhood where I live, the reality is really terrible," said David Dai, who is based on the outskirts of Wuhan.

Though his apartment complex has organised group-buying, Dai said residents were unhappy with price and quality.

"A lot of tomatoes, a lot of onions -- they were already rotten," he told AFP, estimating over a third of the food had to be thrown away.

His family must "totally depend" on themselves, added the 49-year-old, who has resorted to saving and drying turnip skins to add nutrients to future meals.

The uncertainty of not knowing when the controls will be lifted is also frustrating, said Ma Chen, a man in his 30s who lives alone.

"I have no way of knowing how much (food) I should buy."

'No one cares': Locked-in Wuhan residents adapt to find food

I’m still catching up in here, so haven’t seen if there are any notes from the Q&A portion of this morning’s WHO PC; I’m not sure if our fabulous @dixiegirl1035 got a chance to transcribe, but I wanted to note that I thought the last ten minutes of comments by Dr. Mike were quite informative:

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #6

There is supposed to be more information from the UN PC with reporters posted at around 5 pm today on WHO’s twitter.

Also, making a note that the California hearing re: Costa Mesa is due to undergo a ruling at 2pm today.

Additionally, a Chinese conference was conducted today, so would like to find the transcript for that, if not already posted. It was said to have been disseminated to the reporters today via the WHO conference.

Last edited:
As the number of people in the U.S. testing positive for novel coronavirus ticks upward, the White House scrambled Monday to prepare a hefty emergency spending request for Congress to respond to the global outbreak.

Several sources told ABC News the figure could be around $1 billion, although they cautioned that the final number remains in flux.

How exactly that money will be used is still unclear, although it will likely be the subject of questions Tuesday when Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar testifies before the Senate Appropriations Committee. Also on Tuesday, several administration officials were expected to deliver a briefing to senators containing some classified information on coronavirus.

White House prepares emergency spending request for coronavirus

“Classified”? Hmmm, sounds interesting.

Speaking of fruits and vegetables, it occurred to me last week that people should probably be vigilant about washing any produce that they purchase. I haven’t seen any advice from the health officials regarding that. Washing hands and covering cough, and using hand sanitizer- but nothing about not putting dirty man-handled foods directly into the mouth.

Anyway, I bought more produce wash last week and have been using it (I’d gotten lazy). Makes me feel better at least.

MOO

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian citizens and permanent residents who remain in Wuhan, China, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, need to be brought home on a third evacuation plane, a group of families urged the federal government.

In a letter sent to Global Affairs Canada on Saturday, 44 families said that poor communication and misinformation meant their relatives did not board either of the previous government-chartered flights. The families represent about 100 Canadian citizens and PRs who want to leave Wuhan.

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu told reporters in Ottawa the government's attention was turning inward "as the window closes in terms of stopping global spread," and it would have to be "very thoughtful" on how to proceed with any further repatriations.

"We really do need to focus our efforts now on our domestic preparedness," Hajdu said.

Canadian families 'plead urgently' for third evacuation flight from Wuhan

Feb 21 2020 rbbm.
''Established in 1956, the institute, which is the top virology research agency in China and home to Asia's highest-level biosafety lab, has been besieged by rumors and controversies since the outbreak. These rumors included the virus being artificially engineered or leaked from the institute's P4 biosecurity lab.

They also attacked the institute's leaders and its staff, claiming the first patient of the virus was one of its graduate students and questioning the competence of its director.''

''On Monday, Chen Quanjiao, a researcher from the institute, refuted a conspiracy theory posted by Sina Weibo user "Weiketiezhi" who claimed that Chen had reported the head of the institute Wang Yanyi for selling experimental animals and leaking the virus from a lab.''

I dunno.

A novel "un-pandemic" virus erupts from right nextdoor to the highest-level virology laboratory in the country and 70,000 people are infected.

It's not like the virus seemed to erupt originate right next door to a toy factory.

What are the odds that they aren't related?

Hubby read an article (I did not see it, could google I suppose) That workers at the labs were selling test animals to the wet market in order to supplement their income.
The animals had been infected with who knows what.
You can guess the progression from there to a dinner table.

Ummmm, How the H*ll do you "unknowingly" dine on a lab animal! :eek:

I think the allowing of large gatherings is just plain stupid. Whoever that spoke hole is, needs to get educated, or, not be in charge. IMO

Government to shut schools in event of UK coronavirus outbreak
No 10 planning for ‘all eventualities’ if number of coronavirus cases surge in UK

Emergency planners would consider temporarily shutting schools in affected areas if there was a sudden surge in coronavirus cases in any part of the UK, as part of contingency plans being drawn up by the government.

Shutting down movement within the UK is seen as counterproductive, according to the official plan being followed by the department. There is “a lack of scientific evidence on the impact of internal travel restrictions on transmission” and it concludes that “for these reasons, the working presumption will be that government will not impose any such restrictions” on travel in a pandemic situation.

Public gatherings are also unlikely to be restricted because there is “very limited evidence that restrictions on mass gatherings will have any significant effect on influenza virus transmission”. Crowded places “are an important indicator of ‘normality’ and may help maintain public morale during a pandemic”.

Government to shut schools in event of UK coronavirus outbreak | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Speaking of fruits and vegetables, it occurred to me last week that people should probably be vigilant about washing any produce that they purchase. I haven’t seen any advice from the health officials regarding that. Washing hands and covering cough, and using hand sanitizer- but nothing about not putting dirty man-handled foods directly into the mouth.

Anyway, I bought more produce wash last week and have been using it (I’d gotten lazy). Makes me feel better at least.

MOO
I would also like to remind people to wash hands often, and correctly.

Although the transmission of COVID-19 is fully worked out , it’s best to assure you are really cleaning your hands AND nails.

I use a surgical-type hand scrub brush several times a day, with soap, and scrub for at least 20 seconds ( I prefer a minute). I do this ideally before I eat. Use the bristles to clean UNDER your nails. ( Us WS folks know LE uses nail trimming and scrapings to look for perp DNA- well bacteria and viruses harbor there too!)

You don’t have to use a sanitizing soap. And using a sanitizing soap isn’t much good anyway if it isn’t in contact with your skin for at least 20 sec.

And you can re-use the brush over and over as long as it isn’t soiled with oils or dirt

I also refuse food or beverages from anyone with dirty nails. ( learned that from overseas travels)

You can buy inexpensive hand scrub brushes on Amazon.

Deny, deny, deny. If caught or acknowledging this, means certain prision for the perp.
I, unfortunately, believe it to be true.

Feb 21 2020 rbbm.

My mind is racing about the lack of available food. Desperate people do desperate things.

The lockdown of Guo Jing's neighbourhood in Wuhan –- the city at the heart of China's new coronavirus epidemic –- came suddenly and without warning.

Unable to go out, the 29-year-old is now sealed inside her compound where she has to depend on online group-buying services to get food.

"Living for at least another month isn't an issue," Guo told AFP, explaining that she had her own stash of pickled vegetables and salted eggs.

"I still don't know where to buy things once we've finished eating what we have at home," said Pan Hongsheng, who lives with his wife and two children.

Some neighbourhoods have organised group-buying services, where supermarkets deliver orders in bulk.

But in Pan's community, "no one cares".

"The three-year-old doesn't even have any milk powder left," Pan told AFP, adding that he has been unable to send medicine to his in-laws -- both in their eighties -- as they live in a different area.

Another supermarket told AFP it capped its daily delivery load to 1,000 orders per day.

"Hiring staff is difficult," said Wang Xiuwen, who works at the store's logistics division, adding that they are wary about hiring too many outsiders for fear of infection.

- 'Already rotten' -

Closing off communities has split the city into silos, with different neighbourhoods rolling out controls of varying intensity.

In some compounds, residents have easier access to food -- albeit a smaller selection than normal -- and one woman said her family pays delivery drivers to run grocery errands.

Her compound has not been sealed off either, the 24-year-old told AFP under condition of anonymity, though they are limited to one person leaving at a time.

Some districts have implemented their own rules, such as prohibiting supermarkets from selling to individuals, forcing neighbourhoods to buy in bulk or not at all.

"In the neighbourhood where I live, the reality is really terrible," said David Dai, who is based on the outskirts of Wuhan.

Though his apartment complex has organised group-buying, Dai said residents were unhappy with price and quality.

"A lot of tomatoes, a lot of onions -- they were already rotten," he told AFP, estimating over a third of the food had to be thrown away.

His family must "totally depend" on themselves, added the 49-year-old, who has resorted to saving and drying turnip skins to add nutrients to future meals.

The uncertainty of not knowing when the controls will be lifted is also frustrating, said Ma Chen, a man in his 30s who lives alone.

"I have no way of knowing how much (food) I should buy."

'No one cares': Locked-in Wuhan residents adapt to find food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members