Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More Random Musings:

I was thinking about the other day how in other threads, we are of course always concerned and often emotionally affected by the cases we follow here re: child murders, etc, but often these threads are ones that realistically do not directly affect us as far as knowing the victim, being in the community, etc.

However, with this thread here, this IS one that could personally affect affect each and every one of us directly, not necessarily in terms of infection per say, but everything that goes a long with it, whether it’s stocking up, cancelling travel plans, etc.

My point is that this thread is like no others. It is, as I’ve said many times, multidimensional and infinite.

(The California Governor used the same exact word yesterday I’ve been using a lot here btw, “multidimensional”...I wonder if he smokes weed too haha.)

ETA:

Governor (insert Cheech and Chong voice: “Woooah dude, this is multidimensional man...I think we’re in the Twilight Zone...”)

OMG!
Your take on things, is very uplifting.

Yes I did watch it after “namaste-ing”.

My biggest concern regarding the state of California is that we have SO much ground to make up with testing people. 8,600 being “monitored” and so few tested yet. Glad more test kits are coming- I just feel like we’ve already missed the boat (what a horrible pun :eek:, not intended) with getting it remotely controlled here.

:cool:

I have a relative near Davis, CA. Her husband is considerably older with some health factors that might make him higher risk and they are already making plans to isolate him at home, if it gets any worse. Fortunately, my relative is a champion (I nearly said compulsive) hand-washer. I've always thought her concerns about germs were a bit overblown but I am envying her a bit right now for her habits.

I don't think hand sanitizer is totally effective in killing germs. it helps but not 100%
Yes, that's why health-care professionals recommend washing hands frequently with soap and water.

Sanitizer can be helpful when you don't have access to soap and running water. But soap and running water is better.

Yet, people want something more complicated, I think, and are resistant to accepting the power of washing hands.

jmo

My notes on the CDC call.....

All states and local labs can use the test kits they have. They will eliminate the 3rd step that was causing the issue. FDA agrees with solution.
The goal is that all states will have capability to do their own testing by the end of next week. Many will be stood up by end of day today.
CDC confirmed that they were notified of Salono County case on 2/23. They responded that day to do a test. They received the sample on 2/25 and responded with results on 2/26.

I haven’t really thought about this, but given that I’ve had plenty of fives and ones go through the laundry accidentally and come out fine, why can’t it just be washed in little bags or something? Mine is usually in a jeans pocket when this happens. Never had an actual bill casualty.
Googled does washing clothes kill germs and found some disturbing/gross info. Not sure if this counts as scientifically based info but I’ll see if I can find more.
You Asked: Does Washing My Clothes Kill All the Germs?
I think I’m going to run a clean cycle with some bleach in my washing machine quick.

Michael Ryan from today's WHO update just said we aren't calling it a pandemic because that's, "saying essentially every human on the planet will be exposed to the virus"? Man. They are really stretching the definition of pandemic each day aren't they?

Wow. 20 different vaccines going to trial phases. That is good news. Surely 1 or 2 of them or more will end up being successful as a vaccine.

Ive been impressed with how quickly the scientists are trying to get a vaccine. Once we have a vaccine, then it will help tremendously.
I have to say it. 1000 Cheers for Science!

I find the messaging about the virus confusing and contradictory. If a community is infected, the solution is to quarantine that community - no one can travel in or out. If a country is infected, WHO says there's no reason to block travel to and from that country.

International travel should continue, but when there is a pocket of infected people, those people should not travel. It relies entirely on trusting that people in infected areas will not transport the virus to other parts of the world, but that is exactly what happened.

My impression is that economics, rather than common sense, has governed decisions.
Unfortunately the first reported outbreak in China was at the beginning of December. MSNBS reporting now (TV) that therefore it's likely the virus was rolling around (their words) during the month of November. How many travelers have already moved on from the epicenter of this outbreak and already carried the virus globally?

In fact, one question I have is how to know if one hasn't already had a mild form of it? I had the "flu" for about 3 weeks in late December-early January. Same symptoms as listed for CV. Most likely "just the flu," but never know really. I was pretty sick from it.

Yes, that's why health-care professionals recommend washing hands frequently with soap and water.

Sanitizer can be helpful when you don't have access to soap and running water. But soap and running water is better.

Yet, people want something more complicated, I think, and are resistant to accepting the power of washing hands.

jmo

Recommendation is to wash for at least 20 seconds, remembering to wash between fingers and thumbs.

Googled does washing clothes kill germs and found some disturbing/gross info. Not sure if this counts as scientifically based info but I’ll see if I can find more.
You Asked: Does Washing My Clothes Kill All the Germs?
I think I’m going to run a clean cycle with some bleach in my washing machine quick.
Don’t get me started on washing machines!

Clean your washers, people. And also, don’t use the sensor fill that just barely get the clothes wet. Use more water! (I’ll stop now. Promise.)

Just because he’s the VP doesn’t make concerns people may have about the veracity of the information we receive from him political. I absolutely want to know how well someone has or hasn’t performed a similar duty in the past, regardless of their political affiliation.
Agreed. The politics and the science of the handling of the virus outbreak is a crossroads of concerns. Has the president truly appointed the best person(s) to handle this? It's a concern I have which has nothing to do with how I feel about any politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381