Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be that in your state, @Simply Southern, visitors are allowed in the hospital. Not in my state or particularly my city (NYC). Not in New Jersey where only one relative was allowed in two weeks ago when my sister's SIL was dying, even though she didn't have Covid.

This doctor says he is in Southern California. It may very well be that a raft of visitors is not allowed to visit, which in fact is cited in the article.

IMO it was very compassionate of the doctor to meet outside with the large group of relatives who wanted to ask him questions. And your article clearly states that it was the family that was video taping the doctor, NOT the doctor asking security to tape the family. Also IMO if the family was being belligerent and abusive, he was wise to take security to accompany him.

Also, you had mentioned that a patient has a choice. You are certainly right about that, and the patient declined intubation until he felt he did need it. But the doctor does not have the choice to give this patient the unapproved treatments that the family demanded. The doctor has taken an oath, "First, do no harm."

As to mentioning the patient's occupation, personally I don't see that as problematic. There is more than one firefighter in Southern California.

Blessings on your family members who are heroically engaged in health care.

I guess some visitors might find visiting a hospital out of the question for them, in California.

"By California state order, hospital visitors must be screened for their COVID-19 vaccination status. Before being allowed indoors as a visitor, you must show proof that you're fully vaccinated or proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test result (where the test was administered within the last 72 hours). "
Visitor Restrictions Due to COVID-19 | UCSF Health

I'm so sorry about your daughter. Hoping for a quick and easy recovery.

For the past several weeks, everyone I personally know, testing positive is fully vaccinated and boosted.
I have to admit, I am totally shocked that Mr Pirate and I have not gotten this. Honestly, I am beginning to think that somehow these three shots protected us and we have already had a mild asymptomatic case. Several family members as well as a handful friends have had it. All mild. My mom, 84 has not had it. She is the one I worry most about. She is totally otherwise healthy but I know her age puts her at risk of more severe disease despite her vaccines and booster. She is careful but still sees all the grandkids regularly and goes to lunch with her friends. And church. I always tell her to be careful, wear a mask and go out and about at least busy times. She does and I know being isolated alone in her house would be worse.
COVID. What an awful, on going nightmare. I hate it with all of my being.

I have to admit, I am totally shocked that Mr Pirate and I have not gotten this. Honestly, I am beginning to think that somehow these three shots protected us and we have already had a mild asymptomatic case. Several family members as well as a handful friends have had it. All mild. My mom, 84 has not had it. She is the one I worry most about. She is totally otherwise healthy but I know her age puts her at risk of more severe disease despite her vaccines and booster. She is careful but still sees all the grandkids regularly and goes to lunch with her friends. And church. I always tell her to be careful, wear a mask and go out and about at least busy times. She does and I know being isolated alone in her house would be worse.
COVID. What an awful, on going nightmare. I hate it with all of my being.

I am so with you-----my hatred for this evil virus runs very very deep. for those
Of us who are elderly the virus has robbed us of years of which are limited to
Begin with. and worse, it has taken so many people that would be
Alive right now but for this vile mutating monstrous invisible enemy.

I am so with you-----my hatred for this evil virus runs very very deep. for those
Of us who are elderly the virus has robbed us of years of which are limited to
Begin with. and worse, it has taken so many people that would be
Alive right now but for this vile mutating monstrous invisible enemy.
My heart hurts for you. More than I can explain. This virus robbed me of my dads last year. From March 2020 til May 2021, when he died I saw him just a handful of times in the yard. My dear precious dad, I didn’t hug him for a year before he died. We literally stayed home, totally isolated for 14 days prior to each outdoor visit. Froze in the garage for his last Christmas. I thought, just get us through this. Then he died in May last year. Alone. All Alone. In an ICU full of COVID. But not from COVID but sepsis from a UTI that got out of control because he was terrified going to the hospital due to COVID.

This virus has taken so much from all of us.
I can only hope it gets better from here. I have been on this tread from nearly day one.
I care about you all and hope we somehow get through this.

Not an easy watch FYI

COVID-19 survivors who were critically ill describe frightening experiences in the intensive-care unit. “I was positive they were trying to kill me,” one young patient says. She was experiencing ICU delirium

accompanying article here
‘COVID-19 Is a Delirium Factory’
In a new documentary from The Atlantic,coronavirus survivors describe frightening experiences in the intensive-care unit.
OMG… this never even occurred to me until now, but I can only imagine the horror. I didn’t watch the video — but I know that most people need to be medically sedated while on a ventilator and I once read an entire AMA Reddit thread full of horror stories about the things people have experienced during a medically induced coma. It was the stuff of nightmares and most of them had legit PTSD after the fact. It makes me sad to think about those who must deal with the aftermath of that on top of everything else they are burdened with after fighting off COVID! Life can be so unfair.

Many Covid-10 tests are manufactured here, but obviously not enough to supply them at the moment. I’ll take the ones made in China if no one here wants theirs. :)

For better or for worse, the United States and China are trading partners. Jobs in both countries depend on this trade.
The People's Republic of China

If you do a Google search you will see that many iconic American companies are owned by China, Canada, Belgium, etc.

Just for clarity, ihealth is a Sunnyvale, CA company that is a subsidiary of Andon in China. A number of government entities in this country have ordered these tests.

China's Andon Health to supply at-home COVID-19 tests to U.S.

The government asks for, receives and awards bids for many things. If a company wins a bid, they get the business.

iHealth Labs Inc Gets $1.3 Billion Contract for Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Tests

iHealth Labs Inc., Sunnyvale, California, was awarded a $1,275,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen tests. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Sunnyvale, California, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $1,275,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0009). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

Roche Diagnostics Corp., Indianapolis, Indiana, was awarded a $340,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen tests. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Indianapolis, Indiana, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $340,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0010). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

Abbott Rapid Dx North America LLC, Orlando, Florida, was awarded a $306,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for COVID-19 rapid antigen test kits. Bids were solicited via the internet with 20 received. Work will be performed in Orlando, Florida, with an estimated completion date of March 14, 2022. American Rescue Plan Act funds awarded in 2022 in the amount of $306,000,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W58P05-22-C-0008). (Awarded Jan. 13, 2022)

I commend this mans family. I have the full expectation any and all physicians and nurses to discuss and answer any and all questions concerning my care or my family member's. To be forced to wait outside a hospital seeking answers is unacceptable. Moo..

I understand both sides of the issue. Years ago, I volunteered on the local ambulance as part of an Emergency Response Team, and I was warned right off the bat that family members can become quite upset when a loved one is dying and they often take it out on the medical workers. It's just an incredibly stressful time in their lives and everyone handles that type of stress differently.

So, in my opinion, the reactions we're seeing have less to do with covid and the politicizing, and more to do with individual family's and how their family dynamics.

Hospitals are bursting at the seams right now, so that's going to put additional stress on medical workers.

Last June, my mom fell and broke her hip and was transferred to a regional hospital. They only allowed one person to go in with her (covid rules) and so my sister went and I stayed outside. It was in the upper 90s, there were no benches in the shade, and my sister had the keys to her truck so I couldn't even sit in there and turn on the AC. She couldn't come out and give them to me or she would not be allowed back in, and the staff wouldn't bring them to me. The "gatekeepers," the receptionists at the ER were quite abrupt, bordering on rude. Finally, after about 4 hours in the heat, the doctor seeing my mom came down in person and walked me up to her room--right past the scowling gatekeepers. LOL

I think we need to be tolerant of the medical workers, but at the same time, it's difficult to be in a position where you know a family member is very ill and you can't see them.

I understand both sides of the issue. Years ago, I volunteered on the local ambulance as part of an Emergency Response Team, and I was warned right off the bat that family members can become quite upset when a loved one is dying and they often take it out on the medical workers. It's just an incredibly stressful time in their lives and everyone handles that type of stress differently.

So, in my opinion, the reactions we're seeing have less to do with covid and the politicizing, and more to do with individual family's and how their family dynamics.

Hospitals are bursting at the seams right now, so that's going to put additional stress on medical workers.

Last June, my mom fell and broke her hip and was transferred to a regional hospital. They only allowed one person to go in with her (covid rules) and so my sister went and I stayed outside. It was in the upper 90s, there were no benches in the shade, and my sister had the keys to her truck so I couldn't even sit in there and turn on the AC. She couldn't come out and give them to me or she would not be allowed back in, and the staff wouldn't bring them to me. The "gatekeepers," the receptionists at the ER were quite abrupt, bordering on rude. Finally, after about 4 hours in the heat, the doctor seeing my mom came down in person and walked me up to her room--right past the scowling gatekeepers. LOL

I think we need to be tolerant of the medical workers, but at the same time, it's difficult to be in a position where you know a family member is very ill and you can't see them.

My opinion is that it is absolutely draconian. My husband had a medical emergency and was in the hospital last year. The hospital actually broke laws, by not informing me about his care. Hello? Medical Power of Attorney, completely ignored.

I agree. The nursing shortage is in full swing and will only worsen with the ongoing pandemic. To me and many others, nursing is a calling. But one body and mind can only take so much when there is:

1. NEVER adequate nursing staff on the floor at any given time meaning patients don't get enough time with their nurses.
2. Ancillary staff is greatly reduced to save money (everything from housekeeping, lab workers, X-ray and ultrasound techs and respiratory therapists.
3. The need to work up to 16 hour shifts just to make sure there are nurses on the floor to care for the patients.
IMO this is not how our nurses or patients should be treated. And it's the main reason I retired. I was physically more than able to go on. Mentally? Not so much.
This is something we all should be concerned about. It will affect all of us and our family members at some point.
On a side note I wish there was some type of federal program to provide incentives to encourage more people to go into nursing. It seams service jobs are not as desirable as they once were.

heartbreaking, and so painful. Your words represent so many. I have heard these words from many.
I think your "wish" is absolutely necessary. I do hope there are major incentives for nursing, education. Because it is going to be horrible, before it can get better.

They need to open more accredited nursing programs. There are plenty of people who want to go to nursing school. The programs all have waiting lists of students hoping to get in. They are (rightfully) grueling programs and some who start don't make it through. But nursing programs (for RN/ BSN) are highly regarded and in high demand.

My heart hurts for you. More than I can explain. This virus robbed me of my dads last year. From March 2020 til May 2021, when he died I saw him just a handful of times in the yard. My dear precious dad, I didn’t hug him for a year before he died. We literally stayed home, totally isolated for 14 days prior to each outdoor visit. Froze in the garage for his last Christmas. I thought, just get us through this. Then he died in May last year. Alone. All Alone. In an ICU full of COVID. But not from COVID but sepsis from a UTI that got out of control because he was terrified going to the hospital due to COVID.

I can only hope it gets better from here. I have been on this tread from nearly day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper