Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My doctor holds out his fist to bump. It keeps you further apart than an elbow bump. And it’s a polite and sort of light-hearted signal to handshakers that you don’t shake. I’ve adopted that in the rare situation where I’m faced with an extended hand (I don’t get out much). I use a knuckle for our elevator button. But I have to admit I’ve loosened up on door handles. I use a walker and juggling the hem of my jacket, walker and door handle is tricky, but I really should come up with a solution. The irony is that dh and I were the “poster children” among our friends for taking precautions (wiping mail and groceries, etc) and we were among the first of our friends to get covid in January 2021. We still don’t know how. It certainly wasn’t due to taking chances.

My doctor holds out his fist to bump. It keeps you further apart than an elbow bump. And it’s a polite and sort of light-hearted signal to handshakers that you don’t shake. I’ve adopted that in the rare situation where I’m faced with an extended hand (I don’t get out much). I use a knuckle for our elevator button. But I have to admit I’ve loosened up on door handles. I use a walker and juggling the hem of my jacket, walker and door handle is tricky, but I really should come up with a solution. The irony is that dh and I were the “poster children” among our friends for taking precautions (wiping mail and groceries, etc) and we were among the first of our friends to get covid in January 2021. We still don’t know how. It certainly wasn’t due to taking chances.
I like the fist bump idea a lot. As long as I'm not unknowingly fist bumping with the Bone Crusher vise-grip handshake guy. Maybe I'll stick to elbow bumping cuz ya never know. lol

And I'm so sorry to hear you were the first among your friends to catch Covid since it sounds like you're really cautious. :(

I like the fist bump idea a lot. As long as I'm not unknowingly fist bumping with the Bone Crusher vise-grip handshake guy. Maybe I'll stick to elbow bumping cuz ya never know. lol

And I'm so sorry to hear you were the first among your friends to catch Covid since it sounds like you're really cautious. :(

LOL. We need to come up with a good substitute for any kind of contact.

We were very cautious. And it’s no guarantee. It took a long time for most of our friends to get covid, but now nearly all of them have, mostly within the past six months or so and fully vaxxed and boosted. Go figure. We decided to be daring and go to a large indoor gathering of friends with lots of dancing and laughing last Saturday. I took a mask, but didn’t wear it, and most didn’t. We had a great time and it was good for everyone’s mental health. So it will be interesting to see if this was a “covid factory.” There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

LOL. We need to come up with a good substitute for any kind of contact.

We were very cautious. And it’s no guarantee. It took a long time for most of our friends to get covid, but now nearly all of them have, mostly within the past six months or so and fully vaxxed and boosted. Go figure. We decided to be daring and go to a large indoor gathering of friends with lots of dancing and laughing last Saturday. I took a mask, but didn’t wear it, and most didn’t. We had a great time and it was good for everyone’s mental health. So it will be interesting to see if this was a “covid factory.” There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I recall being shocked that you contracted Covid- I thought you were one of the most cautious persons on this site--- I figured if you could get it, anybody could. Like you said, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to contracting the nasty evil virus. My good friend's boyfriend (they live together) contracted Covid and she did not. She still cannot figure out how she eluded it!

I don't think anyone is even getting tested any longer, which is why the data won't be valid.

As far as I know, now it is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". As a matter of fact, when I told my supervisor I tested positive for Covid, she pretty much expected me at work by Friday. Just wear a mask. So much for two weeks off.
That’s terrible. Even with the flu, people should stay home away from others. Why does she think it’s ok to spread it around?!

I don't think anyone is even getting tested any longer, which is why the data won't be valid.
Snipped for focus.

People are testing but I think they are few and far between IMO. And the majority that do don't go to a clinic, and professionally run test sites have closed, so they do the convenient home-testing.

I believe that the numbers are skewed by a LOT due to all the home-testing that isn't reported (I knew long ago that was going to be a problem when all the test sites shut down and you'd have to rely on Joe Public handling it).

From the CDC's Estimated Covid-19 Burden page:
  • Even if a sick outpatient or hospitalized patient is tested, an infection with COVID-19 may not be accurately captured if, for example:
    • the test was not completed correctly or within the appropriate timeframe for capturing infection;
    • the test result was falsely negative for a COVID-19 infection due to the sensitivity of the test;
    • the test result was falsely negative for a COVID-19 infection due to the quality or quantity of the specimen collected; or
    • the confirmed COVID-19 case was never reported to the local and state public health agency and then to CDC.

And...

Growing use of home Covid-19 tests leaves health agencies in the dark about unreported cases

People who test positive are almost never counted by public health agencies charged with bringing the pandemic to heel. While home tests have distinct advantages — they’re convenient and quickly inform people of their infection status so they can take steps to avoid spread the virus — most who test positive don’t come to the attention of health officials unless they are sick enough to see a doctor.

As far as I know, now it is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". As a matter of fact, when I told my supervisor I tested positive for Covid, she pretty much expected me at work by Friday. Just wear a mask. So much for two weeks off.
Snipped for focus.

I can't tell what day you became positive but maybe it was a Sunday and your boss counted out 5 days which is the updated guidance from the CDC? IMO she shouldn't have done that. People doing that aren't helping things. While the amount of days to isolate was reduced a while back, the magic number is NOT 5 days! It depends on various factors. Symptoms or no symptoms, etc. I am sorry you were forced back to work potentially before it was time. Hopefully you wore a mask to help others since your super wasn't helping by forcing you back. That's at least something someone in your position can control. :)

Also, 5 days is if you had no symptoms but ask yourself this... do you really think 100% of those without symptoms are testing? I say NO! Why would the majority do that if they didn't suspect they had it? IMO only those that tested without symptoms did so for a reason (about to take a trip, about to go to a large event whether family or public, someone you live with has Covid and you're keeping an eye on your status, etc.). Otherwise, they aren't likely to test for no reason.

The advice on isolating from the CDC is below:

End isolation based on how serious your COVID-19 symptoms were. Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation.

If you had no symptoms​

You may end isolation after day 5.

If you had symptoms and:​

Your symptoms are improving​

You may end isolation after day 5 if:
  • You are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).

Your symptoms are not improving​

Continue to isolate until:
  • You are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).
  • Your symptoms are improving. 1

If you had symptoms and had:​

Moderate illness (you experienced shortness of breath or had difficulty breathing)​

You need to isolate through day 10.

Severe illness (you were hospitalized) or have a weakened immune system​

• You need to isolate through day 10.
  • Consult your doctor before ending isolation.
  • Ending isolation without a viral test may not be an option for you.
If you are unsure if your symptoms are moderate or severe or if you have a weakened immune system, talk to a healthcare provider for further guidance.

Regardless of when you end isolation​

Until at least day 11:​

• Avoid being around people who are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19.
  • Remember to wear a high-quality mask when indoors around others at home and in public.
  • Do not go places where you are unable to wear a mask until you are able to discontinue masking (see below).

@Gemmie I agree. I went back to work, sick as a dog, and only lasted a day and a half. I went back home for a day. Dragged myself back to work. I just couldn't keep up.

I am not worried about it now, just working on resting and my health. I still have a head cold, fatigue, coughing. I have plenty of time to rest now. So, it has been about a month now since I tested positive. Maybe longer. Not sure.

Covid is still very much circulating in the community. And no one cares.

Everything but the mask.
Yep, me too. But it was a work in progress. I started carrying wipes on planes to clean my area after having gotten pretty sick after a couple of flights. I started carrying wipes in the glove box after the bad h1n1 flu and washing my hands immediately after coming home from anywhere. Outside shoes always come off. With any surfaces that have lots of public contact, we should take precautions whether in the height of COVID or not, IMO. My efforts increased with COVID and while still elevated are long past the wiping down the groceries phase from early days.

@Gemmie I agree. I went back to work, sick as a dog, and only lasted a day and a half. I went back home for a day. Dragged myself back to work. I just couldn't keep up.

I am not worried about it now, just working on resting and my health. I still have a head cold, fatigue, coughing. I have plenty of time to rest now. So, it has been about a month now since I tested positive. Maybe longer. Not sure.

Covid is still very much circulating in the community. And no one cares.
Not only don't people care, but many many people wrongly believe the pandemic is behind us- like it no longer exists-- I hear people on the news referring to the pandemic in the past tense.

This again!!!!!

This is completely my opinion from my own personal observations. Some people like to people watch. I turned that into 'mask watching' once covid hit and masks were mandatory or recommended. My own personal observations (in my analytical brain) tell me we have a huge problem. I look at every masked face I run across and tally things in my head.

For the general public I have not seen ONE mask worn correctly, nor the proper mask type. Sure, I'm not everywhere in the world, so YMMV. Properly fitted N95 masks with a good seal against your face are the best, yet I'm the only one wearing one. Everyone else I study is either wearing an ill-fitted cloth mask or blue surgical mask with gaps at their cheeks and bridge of the nose (NO gaps! Gaps not good! lol), or in one case, a CROCHETED mask with huge holes (a loose crochet), or "Chin ornaments" as I call them. You know who I'm talking about... those that wear their mask on their chins covering nothing. Yeah, like that's gonna help. Then I watch as masks slide down people's noses as they talk, for them to constantly raise them back up into place. You also shouldn't touch the surface of your mask which they are doing. Think about it... it's the barrier between your mouth and nose and Covid cooties in the air. They get on your mask so no-touchie! JMO!

I've taken a relative to various hospital settings 4 times so now I'm thinking I'll see better protection. I was actually shocked to see that it wasn't much better in hospital settings. I didn't see a single N95 there either which surprised me. They wear the blue surgical masks (2nd best) but I wasn't seeing a lot of well-fitted ones. One nurse had gaps at her cheeks so large I thought "Why bother?". Only because she had to wear it but it for darn sure wasn't doing any good. All patients in the waiting rooms wore gapping 'sliders'. It gives me the willies doing these observations. :(

So, back to @Cool Cats "This again!" comment about the article where mask wearing "has little to no difference"... my take is that's because hardly anyone wears (A) the best option for masks (N95s), and (B) they don't do anything to make their masks fit properly! I'll bet if people would wear better and properly fitted masks that that article wouldn't even had been written.

There are various vids for how to seal your cloth masks. And if you do opt to wear a cloth mask... I hope it has a slit and you insert a coffee filter (or two) into the slit. That'll help. :)

All MOO. Well, except this paste from the CDC site. :)

From the CDC:
Loosely woven cloth products provide the least protection, layered finely woven products offer more protection, well-fitting disposable surgical masks and KN95s offer even more protection, and well-fitting NIOSH-approved respirators (including N95s) offer the highest level of protection.

Last edited:
Yep, me too. But it was a work in progress. I started carrying wipes on planes to clean my area after having gotten pretty sick after a couple of flights. I started carrying wipes in the glove box after the bad h1n1 flu and washing my hands immediately after coming home from anywhere. Outside shoes always come off. With any surfaces that have lots of public contact, we should take precautions whether in the height of COVID or not, IMO. My efforts increased with COVID and while still elevated are long past the wiping down the groceries phase from early days.
During the height of the pandemic, we bought Clorox wipes whenever/wherever we saw them. Sometimes a single canister at Kroger or Meijer, and multipacks at Costco. We accumulated a lot of Clorox wipes and eventually worked our way through all of them. Multipacks of Clorox wipes are featured this month at Costco, so DH got a 5-pack that should last a while. We got into the habit of sanitizing kitchen counters and bathroom vanities during the pandemic and have continued the practice on a daily basis.

I'm not often in a situation where a handshake would be done these days so had forgotten something I've done in the past, and it was pre-Covid!

A virtual handshake which is something I thought I made up with a twist to what's posted below. If someone extends their hand, I'll put my hand up like I'm going to shake their hand with several feet between our hands. I say "Virtual handshake" and move my hand up and down twice like a handshake, but without my hand in their hand. It works better than "I don't shake". lol I get less weird looks.

The virtual handshake is a way of greeting someone online instead of in person. It is often used by people who are meeting for the first time, or by people who are unable to shake hands in person. To do a virtual handshake, you raise your hand in the air and wave, or you can type out the words “virtual handshake.”

This is completely my opinion from my own personal observations. Some people like to people watch. I turned that into 'mask watching' once covid hit and masks were mandatory or recommended. My own personal observations (in my analytical brain) tell me we have a huge problem. I look at every masked face I run across and tally things in my head.

For the general public I have not seen ONE mask worn correctly, nor the proper mask type. Sure, I'm not everywhere in the world, so YMMV. Properly fitted N95 masks with a good seal against your face are the best, yet I'm the only one wearing one. Everyone else I study is either wearing an ill-fitted cloth mask or blue surgical mask with gaps at their cheeks and bridge of the nose (NO gaps! Gaps not good! lol), or in one case, a CROCHETED mask with huge holes (a loose crochet), or "Chin ornaments" as I call them. You know who I'm talking about... those that wear their mask on their chins covering nothing. Yeah, like that's gonna help. Then I watch as masks slide down people's noses as they talk, for them to constantly raise them back up into place. You also shouldn't touch the surface of your mask which they are doing. Think about it... it's the barrier between your mouth and nose and Covid cooties in the air. They get on your mask so no-touchie! JMO!

I've taken a relative to various hospital settings 4 times so now I'm thinking I'll see better protection. I was actually shocked to see that it wasn't much better in hospital settings. I didn't see a single N95 there either which surprised me. They wear the blue surgical masks (2nd best) but I wasn't seeing a lot of well-fitted ones. One nurse had gaps at her cheeks so large I thought "Why bother?". Only because she had to wear it but it for darn sure wasn't doing any good. All patients in the waiting rooms wore gapping 'sliders'. It gives me the willies doing these observations. :(

So, back to @Cool Cats "This again!" comment about the article where mask wearing "has little to no difference"... my take is that's because hardly anyone wears (A) the best option for masks (N95s), and (B) they don't do anything to make their masks fit properly! I'll bet if people would wear better and properly fitted masks that that article wouldn't even had been written.

There are various vids for how to seal your cloth masks. And if you do opt to wear a cloth mask... I hope it has a slit and you insert a coffee filter (or two) into the slit. That'll help. :)

All MOO. Well, except this paste from the CDC site. :)

From the CDC:
Loosely woven cloth products provide the least protection, layered finely woven products offer more protection, well-fitting disposable surgical masks and KN95s offer even more protection, and well-fitting NIOSH-approved respirators (including N95s) offer the highest level of protection.

When I see people with face masks below their nose I want to go up and yell at them- but of course I don't do that. For me, wearing a mask to help reduce the risk of Covid makes sense- common sense. The way I see it, almost any covering over your mouth and nose is better than nothing. Of course we know some masks are more protective than others, but the rumor circulating among many ill-informed people that masks are basically useless is troublesome.

I've had the same cleaning routine when I travel. Every common item touched...door knobs, light switches, and remote controls are disinfected. My immediate family has numerous doctors and nurses. This is second nature to us.

I've never heard that expression. Love it!
I notice so many more people at work not feeling well. The lessons didn't stick -- maybe because they too believe it is over.
Well, that's not exactly the correct expression... it's the G rated version. lol The real last word would be censored on this site. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member