Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 8 getting over covid. Had all my shots even RSV. Careful for years. The only crowded place I was unmasked was church Christmas Eve. Finally I feel half human. Be careful!
I've read that singing, and being around others singing, is one of the riskiest activities, because of the projection of breath that singing involves. Anyone who is sick will spread their germs widely if they are singing, putting everyone else in the room at risk.

It reminds me of early in the pandemic while I was still working at the library. I had a mask requirement for patrons before entering, and one person started to come in without a mask but I signalled to her to stop. Instead of going to her car to get a mask, or phoning/texting me to say whatever it was, she instead SHOUTED so that I could hear her across the room. I couldn't believe it! She obviously didn't understand (or care) that shouting was so much riskier than just breathing or speaking quietly. I was so mad!

I hope you are feeling better soon and have no lasting effects.

Even though I am just getting over Covid. I mean honestly, it wasn’t as bad as the bout of bronchitis I had back in 2013, that lasted for six to eight weeks. That was the sickest I’ve ever been.
I'm glad your covid case didn't feel severe, and I don't mean to be pedantic or annoying about this, but I don't think the strength or mildness of the acute infection is really the primary risk with covid -- it's the longterm effects, which can be anything from lingering symptoms such as exhaustion or brain fog or loss of smell/taste, to organ/blood vessel/immune system damage that only shows up later but puts a person at high risk for many other health issues unrelated to covid itself. MOO

Before I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma in my mid-30s, I had horrible bouts of bronchitis for several years. I ended up with "walking pneumonia" a few times, too. Most of the illnesses started with a cold, but undiagnosed allergies and asthma pushed the "common cold" from bad to worse. Bronchitis can be nasty and seems to go on for weeks before the cough finally goes away, leaving one feeling totally exhausted. Thankfully, I haven't had bronchitis, walking pneumonia, or even a cold for many years. Haven't had a serious cough-variant asthma episode for quite a while, either.
It's good that you've avoided colds, bronchitis, and pneumonia in recent years. I hope you can continue to do so.

I had what was apparently a common cold in Fall 2023, the first one since 2019. I used to have a lot of colds (often at Christmastime) and had bronchitis quite a few times, and pneumonia or walking pneumonia a few times. Nowadays I have an inhaler to use if needed. (Also had Covid in late December 2022.)

ETA: @Auntie Cipation --Singing may well have been a factor in getting all those colds! I've usually been singing in church or in choral groups

Last edited:
I tested positive for Covid over a week ago, so we cancelled our Christmas plans with my son, hoping to do Christmas this weekend.

I knew I wasn’t feeling great yesterday, but needed to know what to plan or not. So went ahead and retested yesterday and I’m still positive.
So basically I’ve had Covid about nine days. I anticipate it being a full +/- two weeks before I’m cleared, hopefully not longer! I didn’t seek treatment, so not sure if that would’ve made any difference.
I tested positive on Monday, leaving the COVID virgin club.
I hope that you feel better soon and can celebrate with your son -- Christmas and your recovery. It is difficult to miss out on time with loved ones.

I was having a nice board game day with my grandson on Saturday -- painfully, ironically playing our new Pandemic expansion On the Brink. That evening I got a text from him saying that he tested positive. He is thankfully on the mend and went running today, I hear.

Kate Garraway’s husband, Derek Draper, has sadly passed away. Poor Kate. What a hellish few years she’s had. He is finally at peace and I hope she can find peace too.

I finally got my updated Covid vaccine this morning. Very relieved to have it as so many people I know have Covid at the moment or had it over Christmas. There were no issues raised today about my eligibility so I'm glad I persisted after being denied an appointment elsewhere initially and when trying to book online.

I got the flu shot in my other arm too. I'll probably have two sore arms tomorrow but I'm very pleased!

Kate Garraway’s husband, Derek Draper, has sadly passed away. Poor Kate. What a hellish few years she’s had. He is finally at peace and I hope she can find peace too.

I thought it was worth noting a quote from your link:

"As some of you may know he has been critically ill following a cardiac arrest in early December which, because of the damage inflicted by Covid in March 2020, led to further complications.

Also... (in the event folks are interested in seeking it out):

The family's experience of adjusting to a new way of life due to his rare condition was chronicled in the ITV documentary Finding Derek, which went on to win a National Television Award.

Link from @CoverMeCagney's post to keep things together:

I've read that singing, and being around others singing, is one of the riskiest activities, because of the projection of breath that singing involves. Anyone who is sick will spread their germs widely if they are singing, putting everyone else in the room at risk.

It reminds me of early in the pandemic while I was still working at the library. I had a mask requirement for patrons before entering, and one person started to come in without a mask but I signalled to her to stop. Instead of going to her car to get a mask, or phoning/texting me to say whatever it was, she instead SHOUTED so that I could hear her across the room. I couldn't believe it! She obviously didn't understand (or care) that shouting was so much riskier than just breathing or speaking quietly. I was so mad!

I hope you are feeling better soon and have no lasting effects.
I went to a YMCA pool all during COVID - adults, one per lane, reservations, very quiet, etc. When we were coming out of lockdown, they started children's' lessons again- most of the children scream a lot... I kept putting my face in the water and thinking: "these kids will kill me." (Of course I did not get COVID for another year and a half and probably did NOT from the kids at the Y).

I wore my mask into the grocery store today, for the first time in a long time. Got some nasty looks too. I don't care. I read enough to know a very large spike is underway. I don't want to catch it.
Well it's too bad about the nasty looks. Living in NYC masks are commonplace now so there aren't too many reactions like that to mask wearers.
However, I was at a concert a week ago and was one of a handful wearing a mask. Then at MOMA this week where I only saw a couple of others wearing masks. Both examples of crowded venues. I donated blood on the 1st and was surprised none of the staff wore masks. That was before the new requirement was announced.

Why are people so seemingly oblivious to basic statistics?

It's not black and white, 100% or zero. The world is full of shades of gray.

Covid vaccine does not mean you won't catch it, but it means you're less likely to catch it.

Covid vaccine does not mean you won't catch it, but it means you'll have milder symptoms if you DO catch it.

Why is that so difficult to understand!
IMO it's not difficult to understand. What I feel is going on is they don't care enough to educate themselves on the topic. Or maybe they do, but the information is vast, ever changing, and a tad depressing, so they aren't keeping up any longer. I'd bet if everyone on the planet was quizzed on the topic, the majority would fail. Again, JMO.

I've even seen smart people think things like "I haven't had the last several vaccines since what I had a few years ago should be enough to protect me (into eternity <--- that's me saying this part)". WE know that's not true, but the majority of people out there don't know that. Again, they just aren't paying attention. It's sad and it's scary for all of us. :(

All MOO.

Last edited:
There are “Standing Orders” for vaccinations like flu, COVID, etc. RSV might be different because it is recommended for 65 and older.
The recommendation is actually 60 and older.

CDC recommends that adults 60 years of age and older may receive a single dose of RSV vaccine using shared clinical decision-making (SCDM).

Also, it's 8 months old for infants:

On August 3, 2023, CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended nirsevimab for all infants aged <8 months who are born during or entering their first RSV season and for infants and children aged 8–19 months who are at increased risk for severe RSV disease and are entering their second RSV season (5).

Well it's too bad about the nasty looks. Living in NYC masks are commonplace now so there aren't too many reactions like that to mask wearers.
However, I was at a concert a week ago and was one of a handful wearing a mask. Then at MOMA this week where I only saw a couple of others wearing masks. Both examples of crowded venues. I donated blood on the 1st and was surprised none of the staff wore masks. That was before the new requirement was announced.
I see more and more masks reappearing in photos of urban areas, and take some comfort in that.

I am in a very remote (and very conservative) area where the early covid waves probably arrived well after more populous areas (we were the very last county in California to get our first case, I think it wasn't until July 2020).

But people do travel, and now that everyone seems to be back to travelling normally, with zero precautions, I'm sure our delay of new spikes will be short if it exists at all. I certainly see local community gatherings happening with no precautions, even including people who claim to be cautious. I really don't get it.

It's especially challenging to persist in masking and otherwise avoiding exposure when most of those around me are known to me and many I would consider friends. Example: I was invited to a smallish (8-10 people) New Years gathering. Not a midnight dance party, just a late afternoon foodie gathering for a few hours. I had to say no but it was my hosting friends I was saying no to, which is harder than avoiding strangers. And now that I know *they* were around others, I want to avoid them for a few weeks to let any illness (even asymptomatic, where they might insist they are well) pass.

So I'm basically post-holidays quarantining MYSELF even though I've had scant few opportunities for exposure, but everyone else has, so it's almost the same thing.

I don't think the strength or mildness of the acute infection is really the primary risk with covid -- it's the longterm effects, which can be anything from lingering symptoms such as exhaustion or brain fog or loss of smell/taste, to organ/blood vessel/immune system damage that only shows up later but puts a person at high risk for many other health issues unrelated to covid itself. MOO
THIS!!!! ^ ^ ^ ^

Also, to add to the loss of smell/taste... to me that is just an annoyance. It's what is causing the loss of smell/taste that's worrisome to me IMO.

The exact biological mechanisms behind these symptoms are still being investigated, but it is believed that they may be related to the virus ability to invade and damage the cells of the olfactory and gustatory systems and, through those neural routes, the rest of the brain.

and a tad depressing
I think you've hit on a big reason for people's lack of useful action.

People's lives are already full -- whether full of happy activities or full of challenges, people don't seem to have the mental/psychological capacity to make dramatic changes, finding it too depressing or overwhelming, even when warranted. And especially when "no one ELSE seems too worried".

I keep thinking about historical situations such as wartime, when all of society had to make dramatic changes in their day to day life. Maybe there were lots of naysayers, resisters and disbelievers then too? I mean, if you were in a city that was being bombed and you had to black out your windows and stay indoors, it would only take a few defiants to risk everyone's lives.

I can't help but think it's related to our current dysfunctional political situation in the US where many folks don't trust actual authorities but will trust bizarre and deadly advice from "infotainment" spreaders as long as it comes from their side of the aisle.

Posted Jan. 11, 2024

Throughout this respiratory illness season, Johns Hopkins Medicine has remained vigilant to ensure the health and safety of our patients and their care partners, our community, and our care teams. We have closely monitored respiratory virus updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state departments of health where Johns Hopkins Medicine health-care facilities are located.

Respiratory illnesses including COVID-19 and influenza continue to increase across the nation, resulting in rising hospitalization rates. At the same time, vaccination rates for COVID-19, influenza and respiratory syncytial virus remain low among the general population.

Masking Requirement​

Considering this latest data and recent guidance from the Maryland Department of Health, effective 1/12/2024, we have determined that mandatory masking will resume for patients, visitors, and employees in all Johns Hopkins Medicine locations in the state of Maryland. Masking is required regardless of vaccination status. We anticipate this requirement to be in effect on a short-term basis while viral respiratory illness rates are high.

Johns Hopkins Medicine does not permit bandanas, gaiters or masks with exhalation valves to be worn by patients, staff members or visitors at our locations. We do not recommend clear, shield-like face masks, which are different than face shields but still have gaps around the face and therefore do not provide the same protection as wearing a mask.

Came across this article from today, a study has been done and the result is that there is/was an 11% higher risk of death for those people who took hydroxychloroquine to "cure" covid.

Doctors who prescribed hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid-19 at the height of activity restrictions meant to slow the spread of the virus did so off-label and without evidence that there was any clinical benefit, as the authors of the new study noted.

The study’s conclusions “illustrate the hazard of drug repurposing with low-level evidence for the management of future pandemics”, its authors added.

Malaria drug touted as Covid cure increased chance of death – study

Came across this article from today, a study has been done and the result is that there is/was an 11% higher risk of death for those people who took hydroxychloroquine to "cure" covid.

Doctors who prescribed hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid-19 at the height of activity restrictions meant to slow the spread of the virus did so off-label and without evidence that there was any clinical benefit, as the authors of the new study noted.

The study’s conclusions “illustrate the hazard of drug repurposing with low-level evidence for the management of future pandemics”, its authors added.

Malaria drug touted as Covid cure increased chance of death – study
Yeah, that and horse deworming meds, which I know y'all are all aware of. I love how the FDA responded to that in a tweet. lol

Multiple reports of patients treated or hospitalized after "self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses" led the Food and Drug Administration to issue a warning Friday. "You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y'all. Stop it," the agency tweeted.

The U.S. is currently in the midst of a Covid wave, fueled by the JN.1 variant that’s driving up hospitalizations and deaths across the country. For most people, however, the new variant doesn’t seem to be causing worse symptoms.

That’s left many wondering whether we need to keep swabbing our nasal passages with Covid tests at the first sign of congestion or achiness? How well do at-home rapid tests work against the new variant?

Here’s what to know...

News Nation was just reporting on this. How comforting to know that China is undertaking such high risk research, when most of us already at least suspect, that they purposely released the Covid 19 virus.

News Nation was just reporting on this. How comforting to know that China is undertaking such high risk research, when most of us already at least suspect, that they purposely released the Covid 19 virus.

I agree that the Wuhan lab leaked the Covid-19 virus, but I think it was accidental and that the bio-secuirty measures they had in place were sorely lacking, as this was known in the worldwide scientific community. There are such grave risks with gain-of-function research, I hope that countries around the world can largely agree to refrain from this kind of research that can pose such a great risk to their populations and to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice