Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

1:27 p.m.:
The city of Denver says that an employee at Denver International Airport has tested presumptive positive for COVID-19 at the state laboratory. They are isolated from other people, and the Denver Department of Public Health and Environment says it has been contacting people who have had close and extended contact with the person.

The city said all first responders involved with the person have been interviewed and received guidance on what to do – from self-monitoring for symptoms to staying home from work for up to 14 days.

The city says it expects additional employees to test positive because there are 13,000 city employees and testing capabilities should be increasing.“

Coronavirus in Colorado: COVID-19 cases, locations and live updates across the state

I would like to discuss restaurants. Are y’all eating out more or less? I find most establishments unsanitary & a lot of the staff to look less than hygienic. Therefore, dining out has never been a huge event for me. Also, I read restaurant inspection reports & store the info in my head. So many restaurants get cited for not having hot water for the dishwasher, rodent droppings on dish racks, etc., I just can’t get psyched about restaurants. Now I think about the filthy menus, we already know menus are not sanitized each time they are passed out.
For the last 3 years a group I horseback ride with get together once or twice weekly for potlucks. We always do steaks, putting the show on at a different house each time.
I will continue to eat with my group, we all know if we are sick to stay home.

I feel like I'm doubly screwed. One of my jobs is at a restaurant. Granted, I work from home most of the time, but I do have to go there twice a week. I cringe every time I walk in.

Another of my jobs...we staff events and are supposed to fly out to Virginia next month for a VERY large event. I am waiting to hear that it's cancelled, but so far nothing yet. As much as I NEED that money, I cannot see myself going.

Just wanted to share where many folks in CT are on the issue of cancelling State HS Tourney's this year. I'm not sure what has been shared in the CT schools about COVID but to see such a protest from student's was IMO disturbing (CIAC is state conference for sports), even giving consideration for the disappointment of not having a tournament this year.

Not sure what messages have been delivered to student's in CT about COVID and the role that younger citizens might play in transmission of COVID to the rest of the citizens of CT.

• In Cheshire, several hundred people gathered outside the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference headquarters to protest the cancellation of postseason high school sports tournaments.

Shawn McFarland@McFarland_Shawn

At the front door of the CIAC office.

2:24 PM - Mar 11, 2020

“DENVER (KDVR) — There are currently 27 “presumptive positive” cases of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, in Colorado.

In addition to Pitkin and Jefferson counties, Eagle, Gunnison, Denver and Arapahoe counties are included in the 10 total “presumptive positive” for the day. That brings the total number of presumptive positive cases to 27, with one indeterminate case that public health is acting on as a presumptive positive.“

Live Blog: Updates on coronavirus in Colorado

I think Colorado is one of the states that is still sending their tests back to the CDC before they confirm a "Positive".

Why in the world are our states still having to do this? I thought we were trying to speed up testing and let states test themselves.

This is driving me crazy and was my "challenge question" a couple pages back. It appears there are states still doing this. If all states have to do this, then its another CDC bottleneck that should not be there IMO. Good grief.

"When a test at the state level gets a positive test result for COVID-19, that presumptive positive is sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for a final confirmation."

Live Blog: Updates on coronavirus in Colorado

How does a person look less than hygienic? I'd be careful with making judgements like that. jmo
I don’t have to be careful about it, if I walk into a restaurant and see or smell dirty wait staff, it is my dime, I can take my biz elsewhere.
It is not difficult to determine if one is clean or not.

Last edited:
“1:17 p.m.: The CDPHE released additional guidance about what community spread could mean after saying it “has reason to suspect we are seeing limited community spread in Colorado.”

It says it community spread “can mean a few different things” (click here for more information):

- Limited person-to-person spread (or transmission) means a person in Colorado became infected from a known exposure to another person in Colorado.
- Limited community spread (or transmission) means there are cases and outbreaks in certain communities where people became infected, and we are unable to identify the source.
- Widespread community spread (or transmission) means there are cases and outbreaks in many communities where people are spreading the virus to other people.”

Coronavirus in Colorado: COVID-19 cases, locations and live updates across the state

Hello all. Have mercy, this thread is moving lightening speed!

I’ve just been able to peruse the news a bit and see we’re finally able to call this the P word!

Wow, things are getting weird.

Wish I could say Santa Clara County has gotten their act together more, but alas, they have not yet. Public Health Department here (ah hem- I’m looking at you Dr Cody) has banned events of 1000 people or more, but is letting a conference of about 800-900 people continue on next week that my daughter must attend. Sigh. We’ll see what the next week brings.

I went to yoga today. For the first time I was incredibly uncomfortable with the crowd size and proximity to sweat. I’m bummed.... I’m going to have to seriously consider not going anymore :(@margarita25

I'm going to go to my strength training class tomorrow and record audio of the class so I can do the workout at home. There are tons of online and streaming options, but I really like my instructor and I know all the moves by her commands without having to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. Plus I think there will be something reassuring about hearing a familiar voice while I workout by myself stuck in my house. :)

Congressional doctor expects anywhere from 70M to 150M people in U.S. will contract coronavirus

The attending physician of the U.S. Congress and Supreme Court, Dr. Brian Monahan, briefed senate staff yesterday afternoon in a closed-door meeting that he expects anywhere from 70 million up to 150 million people in the U.S. to contract coronavirus.

The meeting didn't include any Senators and was all administrative staff and personnel from both parties. Monahan briefed staff on how they can keep healthy and ways to prevent the virus from spreading, including not shaking hands, advice that is not being followed by some senators as we’ve seen this week.

In addition to getting briefed on prevention and treatment, staffers were also able to ask questions. One of the questions asked included if any travel restrictions should be put in place for members. On international travel, Monahan said members should not go if they don’t have to whereas for domestic travel, no restrictions have been put in place.

Another question asked was on testing available in the Capitol. Dr. Monahan told staffers that right now coronavirus testing would only be administered to members of congress, and that staff should go to their doctors if they are experiencing any symptoms.

Monahan also told staffers that ultimately, 80% of those who contract the coronavirus will be fine.

Coronavirus updates live: WHO declares COVID-19 disease to be a pandemic

So 20% that would need hospitalization would be somewhere around 15 to 30 million.

And at 1% mortality rate - a minimum of 700,000 deaths.

Someone double check my math!!

Because those numbers would just be for the US, and based on the lower end of 70 million, and a mortality rate of 1%.

So based on the information provided so far - 700,000 deaths is a
best case scenario???

Absolutely the worst “flu” I’ve ever seen.....

“The CDPHE says it now “has reason to suspect we are seeing limited community spread in Colorado” and that the governor’s office will be holding a news conference to provide more details at 5 p.m.

The CDPHE said other cases include:
-A man in his 70s in Eagle County whose exposure is under investigation
-A woman in her 50s in Gunnison County whose exposure is under investigation
-A man in his 50s who is in Pitkin County but is an Australian resident who was visiting Aspen
-A woman in her 20s who is in Pitkin County but is an Australian resident who was visiting Aspen
-A woman in her 70s who is in Jefferson County and was exposed during travel
-A man in his 70s in Jefferson County who was exposed during travel
-A woman in her 50s in Gunnison County whose exposure is under investigation
-A man in his 40s in Denver who was exposed during travel
-A woman in her 80s in Arapahoe County whose exposure is under investigation
-A woman in her 60s in who is in Pitkin County but is an Australian resident who was visiting Aspen

Jefferson County Public Health says the two people, a man and a woman in their 70s, had been aboard a cruise while traveling internationally. They are currently isolated at home.”

Oh no! Is your restaurant large, as in seating capacity? I was wondering if a restaurant can seat 300, will they need to seat less at once, eventually?
This is definitely going to reduce tips/number of hours for the food industry.
I was also thinking about hotels.....we know the pillows and bedspreads are used for weeks without being washed.
As if bedbugs are not enough.....lol.

I feel like I'm doubly screwed. One of my jobs is at a restaurant. Granted, I work from home most of the time, but I do have to go there twice a week. I cringe every time I walk in.

Another of my jobs...we staff events and are supposed to fly out to Virginia next month for a VERY large event. I am waiting to hear that it's cancelled, but so far nothing yet. As much as I NEED that money, I cannot see myself going.

I've just been informed my daughter is in ICU at UT southwestern in full DKA ( she's diabetic) so I have to go there she said there are people waiting to be tested in the LOBBY per the nurse she talked to in intake WTF! I'm suiting up and terrifies for her shes 5'11 and not much over 115 lbs!

Public service announcement: I’m going to need moral support tonight if, at the National press conference at 8pm Eastern, I hear once again how more tests are “on their way in the coming days”. I will bust a gasket.

So if you don’t hear from me for several days, it means my head exploded. If that happens, I bid adieu ahead of time.

;)

I've just been informed my daughter is in ICU at UT southwestern in full DKA ( she's diabetic) so I have to go there she said there are people waiting to be tested in the LOBBY per the nurse she talked to in intake WTF! I'm suiting up and terrifies for her shes 5'11 and not much over 115 lbs!
Thinking of you! Keep us updated.

My co-worker has been sneezing in her office next to me. I slammed my door shut. I hope she gets the hint.

Sneezing isn't a symptom of corona, so I wouldn't worry about that.

People are asked not to come to work sick. Period. A cold is sick. Of course, it may be allergies, but Jersey Girl has no way of knowing that.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11
The city of Denver announced Wednesday that an employee of Denver International Airport received a presumptive positive test result for COVID-19.
The employee is symptomatic and is isolated from others.

Local health officials said the employee is a man who lives in another county other than Denver County. He is not an airline employee.

[...]

“Cory Elementary School in Denver is closed on Wednesday after Denver Public Schools (DPS) were alerted that a parent there has tested presumptive positive for COVID-19. “

[...]

“Firefighters from Denver Fire Department Station 15 are self-quarantining but have not been issued a quarantine order, the Denver Office of Emergency Management (DOEM) confirmed.

The firefighters responded to a 911 call involving a presumptive positive COVID-19 case, according to DOEM spokesperson Loa Esquilin.”

BLOG: Tracking the coronavirus updates in Colorado

Oh wow- the crust around mouth is quite the visual! :D I wholeheartedly agree that would crush my appetite!

another thing is convenience stores, I think most of us have stopped to fill car up & went in for a coffee to go.
I can’t do so....too many times I’ve watched someone exit the bathroom without washing hands & go straight to the beverage counter touching this that & every item they see.

Last edited:
“WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11
The city of Denver announced Wednesday that an employee of Denver International Airport received a presumptive positive test result for COVID-19.
The employee is symptomatic and is isolated from others.

Local health officials said the employee is a man who lives in another county other than Denver County. He is not an airline employee.”

[...]

“Cory Elementary School in Denver is closed on Wednesday after Denver Public Schools (DPS) were alerted that a parent there has tested presumptive positive for COVID-19. “

[...]

“Firefighters from Denver Fire Department Station 15 are self-quarantining but have not been issued a quarantine order, the Denver Office of Emergency Management (DOEM) confirmed.

The firefighters responded to a 911 call involving a presumptive positive COVID-19 case, according to DOEM spokesperson Loa Esquilin.”

BLOG: Tracking the coronavirus updates in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member