Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a small business restaurant, I'm very worried. I just announced via Facebook, that we have added curb side service with our to go of our entire menu. Will hire a delivery driver if I need to.

Seating capacity is 100-150. During the week it’s not at capacity, but on the weekends it is, with a 30-45 minute wait and people standing EVERYWHERE. *shudder*

Coronavirus in downtown Chicago: COVID-19 case at Prudential Plaza; nearby buildings alert tenants, employees
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
MAR 11, 2020 | 3:49 PM

“A worker in one of Chicago’s largest office complexes has tested positive for the new coronavirus, causing companies there and in nearby buildings to take measures to prevent the illness from spreading.

Tenants in Prudential Plaza and other buildings near Millennium Park have been told an employee in the two-tower Prudential complex on Tuesday tested positive for COVID-19. Since being diagnosed, the worker has not returned to the property, according to building owner Sterling Bay.”

—-

6 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Illinois; total at 25
Mar 11, 2020 / 05:12 PM CDT

CHICAGO — Gov. JB Pritzker confirmed Wednesday that Illinois has six new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the state’s total to 25.

The new cases include a man in his 50s, a man in his 80s, two men in their 70s, a woman in her 50s and a man in his 40s. The state’s total was at 19 on Tuesday.”

I’ve mentioned that I have mild asthma and haven’t used inhalers for a couple of years. Getting allergies under control has helped. However, I called my pulmonologist’s office this morning to ask if it would be wise to start using them now to sort of have my lungs in better shape in case I end up getting coronavirus. I just got a call back that he does think it’s a good idea, so I’m glad I checked.

ETA: I said I hoped they were taking coronavirus seriously, even though we only have 2 confirmed cases in our county...so far...and not waiting until it gets worse when testing picks up. She said “Oh yes. Absolutely.”
More cases are awaiting test results in your neck of the woods :(

Amazon increases paid sick leave

Over in the US, Amazon on Wednesday beefed up paid leave for workers quarantined due to the coronavirus or diagnosed with the COVID-19 illness.

The company also announced creation of an Amazon Relief Fund - starting at $25m (£19.5m) - to serve as a pool of grant money for independent delivery drivers, seasonal employees and others losing paychecks due to the pandemic, according to the global internet retailer.

"Effective immediately, all Amazon employees diagnosed with COVID-19 or placed into quarantine will receive up to two-weeks of pay," the firm said in an online post.

"This additional pay while away from work is to ensure employees have the time they need to return to good health without the worry of lost pay."

Coronavirus latest news: Eighth UK patient dies as WHO labels outbreak a 'pandemic' and laments 'global inaction'

I spent my first 60 years in Southern California, and learned early on to be prepared due to potential earthquake. Have had emergency kits for years, but abut 2 months ago, began to beef up mine with canned foods, extra meds, tp, ppr towels, etc. NOT a hoarder tho! LOL

I now live in ID, and although we don't (as far as I know) have any positive test cases, you know doggone well they're out there. Lots of farming communities here, many w/o ins. and probably not realizing what they have is Covid-19.

ID is not a legal state for recreational pot (good!), but OR is. LOTS of folks drive the relatively short distance (from Boise) to stock up. Am quite sure we'll see some of our first big outbreaks via that.

Cannot begin to tell you the lackadaisical attitude here about this. Have a feeling that when all comes to light, we'll be shocked.

I have become a germaphobe and am proud of it!
It’s not legal here ..............yet.........but I stocked up two weeks ago. lol

I'm surprised Disney World has not been closed due to coronavirus.

Taking into consideration the Florida state population of 21 million people - this number does not include "snowbirds" nor tourists, and the number of people who have contracted coronavirus (28 people)

Here’s what we know about the coronavirus cases in Florida

it may seem like a lot of coronavirus victims for one state - as densely populated as Florida is in some areas like Sarasota County - unfortunately that number can rise due to permanent residents travelling (there is in fact a lot of money in the county where I live; I know four people who travelled to Italy last year, three people who travelled to France, one who travelled to Germany, France, and Poland).

Coronavirus won't do anything about the volume of traffic on Tamiami Trail (Rt 41) nor I-95.
I know several people who are at WDW right this moment, posting photos on FB of what ride they are about to go on. One is actually my school principal with her husband and children. She took a the week off from school and headed down Monday.

“On Wednesday, callers to the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum in Boston received a recording saying it would be closed until further notice.”

[...]

“The House of Representatives is cancelling all public events for the foreseeable future as Massachusetts remains under a state of emergency after the total number of COVID-19 cases in the state more than doubled.”

COVID-19 fears prompt closures, cancellations and delays

—-

Covid-19 and the Boston Marathon: We can run another day - STAT

—-

Live updates: The latest coronavirus news from around New England | Boston.com

“Somerville says 2 residents have tested positive for the coronavirus, both linked to Biogen conference
The state Department of Public Health says two Somerville residents have tested positive for COVID-19, city officials announced Wednesday evening.

Officials say both of the presumptive cases are traceable to the Biogen conference late last month in Boston, which has been identified as the source of the majority of the 95 coronavirus cases in Massachusetts.”

—-

Older Adults Advised to Avoid Large Crowds Amid COVID-19 Outbreak

“Wednesday, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health will distribute guidance to long-term care facility operators, like nursing homes.”

Sounds like a lot of places are closing for 2 weeks. Am I wrong to think that is too short a time frame?
you're not wrong. People are being too optimistic as in 2 weeks we'll be in full blown crisis mode. I'm sure many places will extend their closing when they see where we are in 2 weeks. It WILL be much worse than it is now.

Last edited:
I would like to discuss restaurants. Are y’all eating out more or less? I find most establishments unsanitary & a lot of the staff to look less than hygienic. Therefore, dining out has never been a huge event for me. Also, I read restaurant inspection reports & store the info in my head. So many restaurants get cited for not having hot water for the dishwasher, rodent droppings on dish racks, etc., I just can’t get psyched about restaurants. Now I think about the filthy menus, we already know menus are not sanitized each time they are passed out.
For the last 3 years a group I horseback ride with get together once or twice weekly for potlucks. We always do steaks, putting the show on at a different house each time.
I will continue to eat with my group, we all know if we are sick to stay home.

We’re having meals delivered by freshly.com...covering 3 meals a week for 2 of us. It’s cheaper than eating out and about the same as the hot take-out meals at our local natural food coop. Our third week arrives today and we’ve been impressed so far. They are made in large commercial kitchens in MD and AZ. They ship 2-day in extremely well-insulated boxes with huge ice packs. The rest of the week our crockpot cooks dinner. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54