Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 New York City schools shut after student tests positive for coronavirus

Two schools in the New York City borough of the Bronx have been closed after a student tested positive for the new coronavirus disease.

The Laboratory School of Finance and Technology and South Bronx Preparatory: A College Board School are both located in the same building at 360 East 145th Street.

The Department of Health was tracing the student's contacts, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio, who said the decision to close the schools had not been taken lightly.

He said the schools would remain closed for "an initial 24-hour period" while they were disinfected.

GAA announce suspension on all activities until 29 March

THE GAA HAS this afternoon announced the suspension of all sporting activities for its member organisations until 29 March.

The decision has been taken “in line with the Government announcement on Covid-19.” Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has revealed a number of measures which will take effect from 6pm today. This includes the cancellation of mass gatherings of over 100 (indoor) and 500 (outdoor).

This morning, Dublin and Antrim were among a host of GAA county boards to announce cancellation of club games and training until after 29 March. And the governing body has since issued an island-wide directive in a bid to help slow the spread of Covid-19.

“(The GAA) have decided to suspend all activity at club, inter-county and educational levels until March 29 (inclusive) from midnight,” a statement said today.

Wow, making breakfast (potatoes, again...I guess I’m on a potato diet lol).

Anyway, I just pulled two small spuds out of the pan which I would normally cook and put them back in the fridge to ration...

Start rationing your food folks. Been talking about this for a while now.

Moooo

ETA- again, for me, this is not so much due to potential food shortages, but more so the logistics of having to go shop and be out around people

Last edited:
Barristers in Cork notified of coronavirus case in their offices

The offices of the Cork Bar Library, home to barristers working on the southern legal circuit, were closed after the worker tested positive for Covid-19.

A notice was circulated late on Wednesday night telling barristers that the landlord of Courthouse Chambers at 29 Washington Street in Cork city centre was temporarily closing the building with immediate effect and was arranging a “deep clean” of the offices.

In an update, the HSE signed off on the reopening of the building on Thursday afternoon after the building had been cleaned.

Not political

My husband had an interesting perspective, that our current government may have quite a shake up, since most of the people in the Senate, Congress, are in the age range for morbidity. Game changer.
I’ll be honest. I asked my husband if he knew what would happen if it takes both Biden and Sanders out before the election. With all their traveling, it seems like a real possibility (for Trump, too, but it’s obvious what happens if he dies.) I’m glad to see that rallies have been canceled for all in the near future.

following with building anxiety. Today I actually physically had the same sensation as I had the day of 9/11.

Same here. My PTSD from 9/11 is on high today.

And it elevated once I heard that the Washington DC government has shut down. Reminds me of 9/11 when they insisted we all go back to work the next day, and we did, then Anthrax all over the country and AGAIN they just shut down Washington. I'm not going to fall again and be this country's guinea pig.

Shut down the damn entire country then!

I know there are some university professors here- my brother’s university just announced it will be closed for the semester. He’s defending his PhD dissertation in 2 weeks. What will they even do? I hope the universities can be flexible allowing small meetings off campus for something like that?

(For the record I agree with the closings, I just wonder how this will be handled.)

At our university, faculty will be working with their students online. For a dissertation defense, I am sure they would be able to do that by SKYPE or some other videoconferencing. Our university uses WEBX (not sure if that is how it is spelled). Most universities in the U.S. aren't closing, at least public universities, they are just moving classes online and closing residence halls to mitigate against community spread.
MOO.

Edited by me to correct typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members