Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. My PTSD from 9/11 is on high today.

And it elevated once I heard that the Washington DC government has shut down. Reminds me of 9/11 when they insisted we all go back to work the next day, and we did, then Anthrax all over the country and AGAIN they just shut down Washington. I'm not going to fall again and be this country's guinea pig.

Shut down the damn entire country then!
Same!

Local school district closed for two days to explore how best to deal with COVID-19. PDF file offers more details.

School Closure - Coronavirus, COVID-19, Update

The health and safety of our students, staff, and community is our highest priority. We are committed to providing our families with updates as new information about the coronavirus, COVID-19, becomes available. As of Tuesday, March 10, two cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Michigan—one in Wayne County and one in Oakland County.

Rochester Community Schools will be closed for students, including School-Age Care (SAC) and Teen Enrichment Activities for Middle School (TEAMS), on Thursday and Friday, March 12-13, so we can provide training to staff if it becomes necessary to engage students in remote learning outside of the classroom...

Rochester Community Schools - District Home page

Major travel insurer cancels all cover due to ongoing coronavirus outbreak

Insurer LV has stopped selling travel insurance with immediate effect as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Customers with insurance already in place will continue to be covered, however the provider has put a stop to new policies until further notice.

It comes after several travel insurers warned they could have to update - and limit - their policies to help cope with the ongoing crisis - which has led to hundreds of flight cancellations worldwide.

The Capitol’s attending physician reached for a pop culture reference as he advised a packed room of House Democrats on how to protect themselves from the coronavirus: Be like Spock.

The noncontact greeting — known as the Vulcan salute — is just one piece of advice that lawmakers are getting as they seek to protect themselves and their staff from contracting the coronavirus.

Concerns about the virus’s spread within the Capitol have sparked days of tensions, and a notable decrease in handshaking, in a building where members keep close quarters with thousands of tourists and visitors.

Elbow bumps, Spock salutes: How Congress is dealing with coronavirus

The Jazz announce that they administered 58 coronavirus tests on players/personnel, and that Donovan Mitchell was the only positive test

David Gardner on Twitter

Wait, what about...do you mean in addition to Gobert?

“In a statement, the Jazz, who didn’t name Gobert, said that a player on their team “tested negative for influenza, strep throat and an upper respiratory infection” Wednesday morning and that his “symptoms diminished over the course” of Wednesday. However, a pregame test for coronavirus returned a “preliminary positive result” shortly before tip-off.”

—-

Well they dodged a bullet then, wow... I wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting many of them to test positive...

—-

ETA:

He’s only 23....

Description
Born: September 7, 1996 (age 23 years), Elmsford, NY
Height: 6′ 1″
Wingspan: 6′ 10″
NBA draft: 2017 (Round: 1 / Pick: 13)
School: University of Louisville
Current teams: Utah Jazz (#45 / Point guard, Shooting guard),

What if all of us who are afraid of the virus started thinking that we are strong, and we will survive this no matter what. It looks like a thing that will have a second wave, and based on 1918, the second wave was worse.

How do people survive this pandemic? What's the best course of action and what is the best mental outlook?

Is there a way to navigate this pandemic? Is it total isolation for 18 months?

Dystopian view ... again.
I’m way behind again- this may have already been mentioned-

I’m hopeful that our worldwide science expertise and technology will help us find a vaccine and/or aggressive treatment by the Fall- in a way not possible in 1918.

@Momof4RN, Are you heading anything locally about preparations on your side of the state about the virus?
Good morning @Simply Southern. Good to see you. Oh my where do I begin? Yes it’s non stop preparations and cancellations. Quite frankly my opinion is it’s unnecessary mass hysteria. The end of the world is not coming and we will make it through.
1.)The hospital is putting plans in place, screening visitors, mandating paid quarantines to staff who had been out of the country. But for the most part it’s business as usual. I felt the panic more there with the Ebola scare. And it has been a really bad flu season this year. We have had really sick kids as a result of the flu. Particularly flu b that took the lives of 2 previously healthy teenagers in the area and caused so many febrile seizure in young children. Our floor is a negative pressure floor so in the event of carona virus patients, we are prepared to turn it into a decon unit. Non so far.
2.) Surrounding areas have closed a day of school next week to educate teachers in the event of school closures. Attached is a text pic I just received from my senior. So preps are underway.
3) College campuses are closing everywhere. We were supposed to visit Virginia tech over spring break for a special event for students that were accepted. I just received an email that has been cancelled :( so there goes our spring break plans and my non refundable hotel room. :mad:
3)Costco this am had a line wrapped around the building 30 min before opening.
4)youth sporting tournaments and scout outings have all been cancelled.

I will post more news as I hear. But I think everyone needs to remember that for the majority of us this virus will be like any other. We will be sick for a bit and it will suck. But we’ll be ok. Wash your hands! ALOT! Get good sleep. Get your vitamin C in. Boost your immunity.
It’s the elder high risk population we need to be concerned about. Take care of them. Keep them away from places like Costco and any other place that has mass people in and out.

JMO

Attachments

• E493973D-9F10-4252-A6C7-0AC94E6DBDA5.jpeg
    E493973D-9F10-4252-A6C7-0AC94E6DBDA5.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 12
WATCH: Gov. Northam announces ninth case of coronavirus in Virginia

I needed a day to recover from VA Governor Northam presser.

First you can barley bear, no mikes for questions, and the governor rocks back and forth on his heels, while staring at the ceiling, when the various agencies speak.

He starts off with......
We are a Commonwealth and have a very unique plan.

Northam, we have 10 million towards cost. We will pay government employees to work from home or while out of work. No mention of those non government employees, how state would help the localities or if funds would be sent to localities. He was very invasive about any details, as were all of the Departments that spoke. NO State of Emergency.

VHD, only people exposured to a known case will be tested or a nursing home resident. ALL test request are investigated, prior to approval and ONLY VHD can approve the test!!! Recommends call your family Dr and arrange for private testing.

BOE, school decisions will be made locally. If schools have the capability of inline education, it may be approved if all elements are met. School without online capability will , not go to school. Sent TWO MEMOs (WOW) recommending school superintendents work with local health depts, review local emergency plans and review CDC website.

Supply/General Stores, said we do have a stock pile of supplies (seemed unsure and uncertain of himself) and we have applied to US government for more. These will be distributed to first responders and health depts. Not sure I'm buying this "we have a stock pile".

State lab, capability to do 400 per day. Applying for more as the order is received. CDC still rationing. Suggests private labs. MCV, VCU and UVA working on a test kit. (those colleges closed right after the presser)

CEO VA Hospital Assoc., they are preparing, no update when/where supplies might come from. Did stress the need for additional nurses, physicians, and supplies.

So the bottom line is.....

We in VA are unique. We are going to have to handle this at a local level. What has happened???? I'm physical sick over the response from the governor and his lackadaisical appearance.

Since the presser, most all colleges have cancelled class and dorms will not reopen after spring break. Loudon schools are closed, GDs robotic competition trip was cancelled, but the band is STILL going to Disney because its not enclosed, its more open and they can't get the money back.

IMOO...very worried in Virginia

OMG. This is my state too. I have been waiting for the Gov to address this. I didn't see the presser (maybe a good thing for one's blood pressure). I did not expect him to be so not emergency-minded, based on your description.

I am waiting for Dan & Shay to cancel their concert at UVA tomorrow night so that my teenaged daughter won't be utterly disappointed when I don't allow her to go. She is going with 4 friends and a mom to a private suite and has been so looking forward to it. I called the arena and not all suites have private restrooms. The arena holds 14,000 and is sold out! Horror.

Wait, what about...do you mean in addition to Gobert?

“In a statement, the Jazz, who didn’t name Gobert, said that a player on their team “tested negative for influenza, strep throat and an upper respiratory infection” Wednesday morning and that his “symptoms diminished over the course” of Wednesday. However, a pregame test for coronavirus returned a “preliminary positive result” shortly before tip-off.”

—-

Well they dodged a bullet then, wow... I wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting many of them to test positive...

—-

ETA:

He’s only 23....

Description
Born: September 7, 1996 (age 23 years), Elmsford, NY
Height: 6′ 1″
Wingspan: 6′ 10″
NBA draft: 2017 (Round: 1 / Pick: 13)
School: University of Louisville
Current teams: Utah Jazz (#45 / Point guard, Shooting guard),

Jazz now has 2 players with the virus:

Another Utah Jazz player has coronavirus

The Utah Jazz said another player on the team has tested positive for coronavirus. The Jazz did not name the player.

Live updates: Coronavirus US travel ban hits 26 European countries - CNN

Cuba confirms first coronavirus cases, urges citizens to make own masks
bottle-head-e1583983503657.jpg
Some airline passengers have been spotted at Vancouver International Airport wearing water bottles on their heads to shield themselves from germs. (Facebook)

''HAVANA — Cuba confirmed its first cases of the new coronavirus on Wednesday, while its textile industry has been drafted to fabricate masks and the government also urges citizens to make their own, amid a cash crunch and dwindling supplies worldwide.

Cuba’s state news broadcaster said four Italian tourists who were staying at a hostel in the southern town of Trinidad after arriving at Havana airport on Monday had presented respiratory symptoms and were taken to a hospital on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, the hospital confirmed that three of the tourists had tested positive for the coronavirus, the broadcaster said. Authorities were tracking down those who had come into contact with the three and was checking up on them.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi